Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG CrossCut 2.0

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
SOG CrossCut 2.0
on: July 23, 2014, 10:02:09 PM
I was the very lucky winner of a SOG CrossCut 2.0 sponsored by SOG and MTO.  It arrived today and will make a fine EDC.  The big scissors are the focal point of the CrossCut, and feature SOG's unique compound leverage gears that double the force applied to the scissors by effectively decreasing scissor travel relative to handle travel.  In English, that means that a small amount pressure applied to the handles translates into a lot of cutting force.

The CrossCut also features a small but sharp main blade, file, tweezers, toothpick, bottle opener, and both small and medium flat drivers.  All of this is packaged in a mere 1.7 ounces that disappears in the pocket.  I have long been an advocate of maximizing utility while minimizing size and weight, and the CrossCut fills this role perfectly.  It features 420 stainless throughout - except the durable plastic toothpick - and retails in the Colonies for $12.49 + shipping (Wal-mart) or $14.24 shipped via Amazon Prime. 

See Lynn LeFey's fine review of the CrossCut here: http://www.multitool.org/reviews/sog/small-tools/264-crosscut-2-0.html.  Her testimony of having carried the CrossCut for 15 years says a lot.  There are several contenders in the micro MT market, and CrossCut is a strong contender - especially for those who require larger scissors with maximum cutting power.  But it also provides a full panoply of useful tools to keep you prepared for whatever life throws at you.

Thank you SOG and MTO for another fine giveaway.

The flavor of the SOG CrossCut matches nicely with the stainless Fenix E05, and is almost all you need for righteous daily living.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: SOG CrossCut 2.0
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 10:40:50 PM
For the price, I think the Crosscut is a real contender.

After a little tweaking of the tweezers and a slight filing of the small flathead, I got mine into superb shape.

I hope yours gives you many years of faithful service.  :salute:

EDIT: Actually, after rereading my review, I must have been thinking of a different tool that needed filing on the small driver. Huh. I'm getting old.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:45:26 PM by Lynn LeFey »

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:35:06 AM
It is made in China? China is printed on the blade .look at photo!!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:34:57 AM
It is made in China? China is printed on the blade .look at photo!!

Please show some respect. We have already heard your opinion in your threads.
This thread is about showing appreciation to SOG and MTO for an awesome giveaway.

Love the pic there powernoodle. What a good looking combo.  :tu:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 02:17:27 PM
Glad you like it. :cheers:

I always loved your mirrored sky pictures and this one makes me wanna get both the CrossCut and the E05. :ahhh

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 02:27:44 PM
It is made in China?

Its actually made in Austria by skilled craftsmen who employ old-world metalworking techniques passed down through the generations from father to son.  I put "China" on the blade with my laser printer just to fool people.  Gotcha!

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 11:34:42 PM
^
Good one!

Offline jdindadell

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 06:54:48 AM
So can anyone school me in the mystical ways of sharpening the scissors on the crosscut?

I did a cutting test with the sog and a micra and the micra cut a folded piece of cardstock much better than the sog despite the lack of gearing.  I put it down to the sharpness of the scissors, the micra just seems to have a better edge.  I have not sharpened scissors before so I would hate to screw it up! 

Otherwise I do like the size of the crosscut, build quality looks great as well.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 01:53:50 PM
I hope you got a better one than I did.

If you're happy, I'm happy :tu:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!