Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I want to make a ReBlast! But I have questions...

nz Offline RimfireNZ

I want to make a ReBlast! But I have questions...
on: July 24, 2014, 06:16:56 AM
Alright guys,
I've been looking at Zoidberg's TiBar and Breezy12's similar mod... plus the other one's he's done.

I want to make a ReBlast.

So I have three questions:
  • Will the Rebar plier head fit with the standard Blast tool configuration?
  • Can I swap the Blasts small bit driver with the Rebar's awl without issue? (if not can I ditch the scissors).
  • Lastly does anyone make a tool like a little socket to unscrew Leathermans? I can't believe an engineer somewhere hasn't done done this and started selling them? If not, how can I do this without damaging my babies.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:28:01 AM by RimfireNZ »

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Re: I want to make a ReBlast! But I have questions...
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:05 AM
I haven't actually tried making a ReBlast, but here are my thoughts. Please keep in mind this is just based on eyeballing a Blast (without taking it apart) and using some of the tools in my parts stash for comparison. ;)

Will the Rebar plier head fit with the standard Blast tool configuration?
The plier head should fit just fine, but looking at the tool loadout, I'm guessing that the scissors and possibly the small flat driver on the Blast will prevent the tool from closing fully with the Rebar plier head installed.

Can I swap the Blasts small bit driver with the Rebar's awl without issue?
The small bit driver is slightly thinner than the awl, but there is also a lanyard ring on that side of the Blast that you could remove to make some extra space to accommodate the awl.

Lastly does anyone make a tool like a little socket to unscrew Leathermans?
sadly, these are not commercially available. someone here made a set of their own in the past using a vise and a cheapo socket set, but my search skills are failing me at the moment, so I can't find the link. :-[

hope this helps! :cheers: let us know how the ReBlast turns out.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 07:00:14 AM
Thanks for the response Breezy.

The AWL might be an issue. I don't want to stuff around with spacers or anything. Maybe I'll just lose the scissors (don't have my Rebar on me so I'm not sure how thick it is).

The flathead will be a deal breaker for me. I can't grind it down and I can't remove it. It gets used (although most of the time as a pry).

The socket issue is a pain. I'm sure there'd be a market for that somebody :pok:

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:34:58 AM
Have a look at this thread..

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,7167.0.html

Shows how to make LM spline tools from el-cheapo sockets.  it works, I  made a pair when I rebuilt my PST 1.5

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:01:20 PM
Ah thanks Peter. Perfect.

Those'll have to be some damn soft sockets though.

I'm heading up to my dads workshop in the weekend to use the drill press on these mod-fodder SAKs so while I'm up there I'll pick up a smurfty socket set and use his vice and experiment on an old Fuse. I've only got a woodworking vice at my place.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:24:46 PM
I recently picked up a set of "engineer screw pliers", which handle the knurled screws with ease once the loctite is softened. the best part is that they do it without damaging the knurled screws. :tu:

prior to this, I was using a Vise Grip + LM Crunch combo which got the job done, but marred up the heads of the knurled screws a bit.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%