Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman C33 vs Buck Flashpoint

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Leatherman C33 vs Buck Flashpoint
on: July 24, 2014, 10:45:29 PM
I don't know why (okay, we all know why :D) but I have recently decided I wanted some folding knives. I have had a few dedicated folders over the years, but never used them for much besides keeping in a hunting or hiking pack. My first, given to me sometime in the early 90's was some sort of green, plastic handled Buck lock-back with a nice, nylon camouflage belt sheath, followed a few years later by a Gerber Gator. I still have the Gator downstairs on a shelf (in relatively good condition, I might add) but I unfortunately have no idea what became of my old Buck.

At any rate, I have been eyeing Leatherman's Crater line for some time now, but I have a Skeletool and that is sort of a knife w/ extras so I have held off on buying any dedicated knives - until now. I found a Leatherman Crater C33 at Sears last night for $19 and a Buck Flashpoint at Scheels for $35 this morning. What follows are my initial observations comparing the two products.

These knives are similar in function, but have some differences:

1. The Crater is a feather-weight at well under 3 ounces - the Flashpoint is slightly heavier.
2. The Flashpoint is a two position, slider-button lock - open and closed, while the Crater's familiar liner lock only locks open.

3. The Flashpoint's blade is longer
4. Both knives feature a carabiner that also functions as a cap lifter. The difference here being that the Flashpoint 'biner is fixed, while the Crater's folds away.

5. All closed up, the Flashpoint is a half inch longer. However with the Crater's 'biner deployed, now the Crater is a half inch longer.
6. The Crater is textured black plastic handles, the Flashpoint has orange anodized aluminum handles, with plastic inlays. The plastic on both seems high quality and durable

7. The Flashpoint's blade is a little thicker than the Crater's.
8. Deploy the Crater blade by simply using the thumbstud. The Flashpoint requires the slider-button be pressed, then you use the jimping on the back of the blade to rotate the blade out. Both are easily one-hand opened and closed.

9. The Flashpoint's pocket clip holds really tight and allows the knife to carry deeper into the pocket than that of the Crater. The Crater still has good grip.
10. The Crater is USA made, and surprisingly the Flashpoint is imported. I wrongfully assumed that Bucks were USA made, but turns out they have a plant in China for some product lines. Not a big deal as the Flashpoint feels solid and looks amaze-balls!  :tu:

Looking forward to giving these little guys some EDC time to see how they really compare.

Thanks for reading!
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Leatherman C33 vs Buck Flashpoint
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:55:05 PM
I dont have a LM knife oddly enough  :think:.  My roommate was looking at that LM just the other day.  She carries a Spyderco Ambitious or Delica and loves both but had her eye on that LM.  I am still giving my new Chinese folder a thorough run myself and look forward to your time and thoughts on these knives especially the LM.  There are some great budget blades out there as I'm finding out.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:58:55 PM
The Crater is a good value at under twenty quid, especially when you take the Leatherman warranty into account.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:52:11 AM
Both knives work great when it comes to opening your favorite bottled beverage. They both use the same technique, I call it the Skeletool method. Just hook the rim of the cap and push down. The clip even holds onto the cap for you. I give a slight edge in caplifting capability to the Crater. It just hooks under the edge of the cap better than the Flashpoint. Not that the Flashpoint is difficult, however.

As you can see, they both get the job done. One thing I do not like about the Craters biner/caplifter is that it has quite a lot of play to it. And it is pretty easy to inadvertently unlock the implement.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%