Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No Budget 72 hours Outdoor Survival Kit (Small)

comis · 30 · 2921

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
No Budget 72 hours Outdoor Survival Kit (Small)
on: July 27, 2014, 04:35:38 PM

I've been longing to do a video about my own 72 hours Outdoor Survival kit, this kit took me quite sometime to construct due to all the testing I want to do and I call this a no budget kit because I really believe a small survival kit is my last ditch effort in my holistic outdoor safety approach, and if I ever need to resort to using this kit, I want to have the best gears I can have to up my chances for survival.

Please feel free to let me know what you think, and thank you in advance for watching!  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6_FdpttyrY

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: No Budget 72 hours Outdoor Survival Kit (Small)
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 05:00:19 PM
Thanks for that video, I can tell you did put a lot of thought into it.

Just curious. I would rather put some ready energy into my kit than fishing lines (Dextro Energy comes to mind), primarily because I'm terrible at fishing :P. Ever considered to add something like this, or is it too bulky?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 05:19:44 PM
My opinion to these kits (in general, not only regarding yours):

Most people who make up their "bags" "kits" "whatever" are into one or another gearbased hobby - and beeing fan (from fanatic) to this they look at the whole thing from their hobby-side: What do i like, what do i want to have with me.

Based on that they usually don´t think it from the "what do i need for which situation"-side.

Most kits i see look more like beloved "toy"-collections, than what may be really needed.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 05:26:58 PM
Thanks for that video, I can tell you did put a lot of thought into it.

Just curious. I would rather put some ready energy into my kit than fishing lines (Dextro Energy comes to mind), primarily because I'm terrible at fishing :P. Ever considered to add something like this, or is it too bulky?

Thank you, this kit does take me a pretty long time to make, and I think the challenge for this kind of 'compact' kit is often time the tradeoff I need to make.

The Dextro energy is an excellent idea.  I think this kit might be a little over jammed, but I definitely will consider that in my large kit which is the main thing I also carry in my backpack when I intend for longer/outnight trips(or as a matter of fact, car kit).  I think the best part about Dextro is not it could be fast acting, but could also help anyone in the group who is diabetic.  :)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:34:01 PM by comis »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 05:33:30 PM
My opinion to these kits (in general, not only regarding yours):

Most people who make up their "bags" "kits" "whatever" are into one or another gearbased hobby - and beeing fan (from fanatic) to this they look at the whole thing from their hobby-side: What do i like, what do i want to have with me.

Based on that they usually don´t think it from the "what do i need for which situation"-side.

Most kits i see look more like beloved "toy"-collections, than what may be really needed.

That's a very good and valid point.  Honestly, I have seen a fair share of youtube videos and some of the kits are so loosely constructed that it might be borderline dangerous to think the kit will save life when it is most needed.

I can't say my kit is perfect or fool proof, and with more skill and knowledge, I do hope it will improve overtime to suit my needs better.

Without making it too cumbersome and reduce my chance of carrying it, this kit is really a 'baseline' kit which mostly intended for very short hike, and the supplements with it does get changed and adapted to environment.  But I do have a large kit which is a lot more substantial and sustainable than this baseline kit when I have an overnight trip.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:36:34 PM by comis »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 08:20:06 PM
Major bonus marks for the heart/love tin case.  :gimme:

Nice kit comis.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:45:06 PM
Nice kit Comis. I am very impressed. Looks like you put a lot of time and thought into.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 10:25:04 PM
great kit and great vid.  :tu:
the only thing I can think of to add is a needle or two (almost 0 weight/size and could be used with your included thread for repairs of clothing)

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:51:22 PM
I can't say my kit is perfect or fool proof, and with more skill and knowledge, I do hope it will improve overtime to suit my needs better.

Probably there will never be a "perfect" kit, as the circumstances are way to different for "one kit for all".

First should be determined what you want from it:

a) shall it bring you home in case of a local emergency, or get you out of a area with a local accident.....

- now it depends on what a region you live in ... living in an area between cities and with more or less good roads needs another collection of stuff, than living way out in a desert area or in the woods.

Usually you would try to be as fast as possible back to your family, or out of the danger area. Normaly you wouldn´t waste time with any fishing or hunting - so nothing is really needed than something to drink, maybe something to eat (just some calories to keep you going, not much is needed for 72 hours), and having some stuff to have a shelter from bad weather (in my case just a mylar blanket and a big blue industrial garbage bag). That´s enough to keep you going, if you are physical able and motivated to.
Aditional i have a small FAK (always in my bag, additional to the big one we have to have in our cars here, more to help others but also for me if needed)
I assume that everyone who thinks about such a kit has a MT or knife on his body, or at hand if needed.

More water in a desert region - better portable shelter/poncho if you live in the woods with no easy accessible house/barn/bus station in range of a street you travel along

b) shall it give you a better chance to survive in case of being stuck in the wilderness....

- if you are able to walk out of the mess?

- if you are alone and injured, not able to get out on your own?

- if you are surrounded by people that need help?

Each scenario needs different equipment.

In the first one ... you are good to go with the above listed - no hunting, no fishing, get the hell out there asap.

in the second one ... FAK and something to make them find you, again some food and enough water to stay alive until you´ve been found

in the third one ... it depends. Can you leave them to get help, or do you need to stay there?

And there are many dozens of variations of these basic scenarios, to be prepared for all of them you would need such a lot of stuff ......  ;) Additional, under what circumstances happened that? Summer, winter, with your car, after a plane accident (to get in a really lonely region without real chance for help? Usually you don´t have all the nice gadgets with you on board).

It could be discussed for hours over what is needed, most carry to much (even standard trained army persons, as they are used to have help at hand), and the people who want to carry as much as possible stuff to be prepared for everything will always argue that they need all of it.  :D

Without making it too cumbersome and reduce my chance of carrying it, this kit is really a 'baseline' kit which mostly intended for very short hike, and the supplements with it does get changed and adapted to environment.  But I do have a large kit which is a lot more substantial and sustainable than this baseline kit when I have an overnight trip.

A good start in the right direction.  :tu:
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 05:03:44 AM
Major bonus marks for the heart/love tin case.  :gimme:

Nice kit comis.

Haha...I know someone romantic is going to pick that up!  Thanks for watching!  :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 05:06:56 AM
Nice kit Comis. I am very impressed. Looks like you put a lot of time and thought into.

That's us mobile.

Thanks for watching!  I tried my best.  :)

I am still waiting to be out to make some char cloth someday.  The recent local weather has been typhoon after typhoon, and hopefully I get to go out and play soon.

great kit and great vid.  :tu:
the only thing I can think of to add is a needle or two (almost 0 weight/size and could be used with your included thread for repairs of clothing)

Ahh...that's good suggestion.  I think I have some oversized needle just right for the job, thank you!  :cheers:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 05:23:31 AM

Probably there will never be a "perfect" kit, as the circumstances are way to different for "one kit for all".

First should be determined what you want from it:

a) shall it bring you home in case of a local emergency, or get you out of a area with a local accident.....

- now it depends on what a region you live in ... living in an area between cities and with more or less good roads needs another collection of stuff, than living way out in a desert area or in the woods.

Usually you would try to be as fast as possible back to your family, or out of the danger area. Normaly you wouldn´t waste time with any fishing or hunting - so nothing is really needed than something to drink, maybe something to eat (just some calories to keep you going, not much is needed for 72 hours), and having some stuff to have a shelter from bad weather (in my case just a mylar blanket and a big blue industrial garbage bag). That´s enough to keep you going, if you are physical able and motivated to.
Aditional i have a small FAK (always in my bag, additional to the big one we have to have in our cars here, more to help others but also for me if needed)
I assume that everyone who thinks about such a kit has a MT or knife on his body, or at hand if needed.

More water in a desert region - better portable shelter/poncho if you live in the woods with no easy accessible house/barn/bus station in range of a street you travel along

b) shall it give you a better chance to survive in case of being stuck in the wilderness....

- if you are able to walk out of the mess?

- if you are alone and injured, not able to get out on your own?

- if you are surrounded by people that need help?

Each scenario needs different equipment.

In the first one ... you are good to go with the above listed - no hunting, no fishing, get the hell out there asap.

in the second one ... FAK and something to make them find you, again some food and enough water to stay alive until you´ve been found

in the third one ... it depends. Can you leave them to get help, or do you need to stay there?

And there are many dozens of variations of these basic scenarios, to be prepared for all of them you would need such a lot of stuff ......  ;) Additional, under what circumstances happened that? Summer, winter, with your car, after a plane accident (to get in a really lonely region without real chance for help? Usually you don´t have all the nice gadgets with you on board).

It could be discussed for hours over what is needed, most carry to much (even standard trained army persons, as they are used to have help at hand), and the people who want to carry as much as possible stuff to be prepared for everything will always argue that they need all of it.  :D

A good start in the right direction.  :tu:

Thanks for watching and a detailed reply.

I will bare these in mind as I construct other kits for different scenario.  As you've mentioned, different scenario does require different responses/gear set/skill set, and it will be silly to even fathom one kit can covers all or to carry everything with us constantly.

I briefly mentioned in the video that this kit is only part of a holistic approach to outdoor safety, and it will not be helpful if no one is coming to rescue.  One bonus of making this video is I will probably forward this video link in email to friends/family if I ever go on out for a brief hike/longer trip, so if I really do need for rescue, they could guesstimate what kind of gears I may have on me which could be helpful.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 06:26:07 AM
Nice little setup! I love the little tin, size wise it's like perfect! Thanks for the input, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 10:23:08 AM
Nice little setup! I love the little tin, size wise it's like perfect! Thanks for the input, JR

Thanks, I don't have it on me at work now, but I remember it's about 2.5 times larger than a standard Altoids tin.  I think having an altoids survival kit is definitely way better than nothing.  But as easy as it could be found, I often feel the size of altoids tin is a major shortcoming and limits the option of gears to put in.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 12:40:49 PM
So long as you cover the basics....shelter, fire, food, everything else just makes it all that easier.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 05:00:47 PM

Thanks, I don't have it on me at work now, but I remember it's about 2.5 times larger than a standard Altoids tin.  I think having an altoids survival kit is definitely way better than nothing.  But as easy as it could be found, I often feel the size of altoids tin is a major shortcoming and limits the option of gears to put in.
I have a plastic FAK slightly bigger then a altoids probably the same size as your tin in my EDC bag with all the basics, but I want to maybe switch to an altoids, one thing extra that I carry is a woman's pad, a very small folded up one, I grabbed one of the wife's, but hey, with tape they make a very LARGE bandage! JR

Valentines day is probably the best time to find a mini tin, one of those like $1 ones, to bad it's so far away
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:05:15 PM by MadPlumbarian »
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 06:10:57 PM
So long as you cover the basics....shelter, fire, food, everything else just makes it all that easier.

Yes, the interesting thing about small size, or as a matter of fact, any size of survival kit, is that it is build upon the premises that the user have some degree outdoor survival skill.  As the kit size gets smaller, the requirement of skill sets become extraordinary.  If anyone has read the 98 degree book by Cody Lundin, we will notice how big is his survival "kit" in his book, and he is probably what most would consider a survival expert.

This video features a respectable survival instructor, Mors Kochanski, whom has taught survival for 40 years.  And it is always a humbling thought how big is his 'kit'.  That is also the reason why I always bring a 'large' survival kit whenever my outing is more than few hours of short hike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwPYNHeoPM8

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 06:16:45 PM

I have a plastic FAK slightly bigger then a altoids probably the same size as your tin in my EDC bag with all the basics, but I want to maybe switch to an altoids, one thing extra that I carry is a woman's pad, a very small folded up one, I grabbed one of the wife's, but hey, with tape they make a very LARGE bandage! JR

Valentines day is probably the best time to find a mini tin, one of those like $1 ones, to bad it's so far away

This small kit that I have filmed is really very basic, and if there is an independent FAK, it probably will address the first aid needs far better.  I usually bring more and bigger-boo-boo First Aid items with me, if I know I will be further away from civilization or help.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 07:46:37 PM
Here's mine, I'm currently working on that altoids one,just waiting for the pain to dry, but I'm switching everything over, I tried this morning and everything fit, just got to keep a rubber band on it.. JR

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:48 PM
Hi, all.

Many thanks go to a kind viewer has pointed out that I have made a boo-boo by saying the Aqua Mira water purification tab is made of sodium chloride, in fact, as he kindly pointed out, it was made of Chlorine Dioxide.  I have made a 'bubble' on my youtube video to correct that.  :facepalm:

Here's mine, I'm currently working on that altoids one,just waiting for the pain to dry, but I'm switching everything over, I tried this morning and everything fit, just got to keep a rubber band on it.. JR

Good luck with that!  I just saw the paint on the other thread, and it looks good!  Hope you never need it for real.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 08:58:35 PM
Cool video  :salute: ive got 2 altoids, 1 first aid and the 2nd. Survival kit,its always in my backpack  :salute:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 10:22:32 PM
Hi, all.

Many thanks go to a kind viewer has pointed out that I have made a boo-boo by saying the Aqua Mira water purification tab is made of sodium chloride, in fact, as he kindly pointed out, it was made of Chlorine Dioxide.  I have made a 'bubble' on my youtube video to correct that.  :facepalm:

Good luck with that!  I just saw the paint on the other thread, and it looks good!  Hope you never need it for real.
Thanks, I think the paint job came out "ok",, I'm sure anyone can understand what it means, lol, and yes I hope in anyone's case no one ever needs to use there FAK's! JR

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 08:13:05 AM
Cool video  :salute: ive got 2 altoids, 1 first aid and the 2nd. Survival kit,its always in my backpack  :salute:

Always prepared!  Like a good boy scout!  :salute: :D

Thanks, I think the paint job came out "ok",, I'm sure anyone can understand what it means, lol, and yes I hope in anyone's case no one ever needs to use there FAK's! JR

I have a small FAK that I carried with me on a daily basis in a see-thru zip bag, but an idea just pop in my head that maybe I should leave a note in that bag, so if anyone needs something while I am not around, they still know what is what.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 06:00:23 PM

I have a small FAK that I carried with me on a daily basis in a see-thru zip bag, but an idea just pop in my head that maybe I should leave a note in that bag, so if anyone needs something while I am not around, they still know what is what.
Good idea, what if you took a piece of red duct tape and cut it like 2" x 2" then made a + out of white electrical tape? Of course it would be just as easy to tape a sketched + to the bag with clear packing tape, lol I just don't know if you want to put anything inside, would that be bad do to any chemicals? I did, I made a note with personal info, but took clear packing tape and taped both sides so it's sealed, but what about the tape? Best thing is probably just to make the note, draw a little + on it and tape it to the outside of the bag with the clear tape.. JR

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 06:05:52 PM

Good idea, what if you took a piece of red duct tape and cut it like 2" x 2" then made a + out of white electrical tape? Of course it would be just as easy to tape a sketched + to the bag with clear packing tape, lol I just don't know if you want to put anything inside, would that be bad do to any chemicals? I did, I made a note with personal info, but took clear packing tape and taped both sides so it's sealed, but what about the tape? Best thing is probably just to make the note, draw a little + on it and tape it to the outside of the bag with the clear tape.. JR

I actually was thinking something else, that I should put details on what kind of medication I may have in the bag for emergency use.(such as Aspirin for heart attach, Zyrtec for allergic reaction, etc)  But you bring up a good point and I should put a 'red cross' in the see-thru bag along with the description.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 06:15:03 PM

I actually was thinking something else, that I should put details on what kind of medication I may have in the bag for emergency use.(such as Aspirin for heart attach, Zyrtec for allergic reaction, etc)  But you bring up a good point and I should put a 'red cross' in the see-thru bag along with the description.
Yeah, I would, at first someone might just think it's just a bag of treats for a few feet away, but that Red Cross is know world wide, the list is a great idea, this way if they see the cross at first, they know what it is, then look down the list to know if there's something they can use, I think I might do the same and tape it to the bottom of my little FAK. JR

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 02:36:44 AM
Comis: great video on your survival kit.  :tu:

It addresses two important points that I see missing from most Altoid Tin kits, shelter and water storage. Your kit takes care of both problems nicely, and with minimal space requirement.

Absolutely excellent.

Also... now I need to find a Vic Lumberjack.  :whistle:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 04:10:06 AM
OK, I'll get my terminology based grumble out of the way. I wouldn't call this a 72 hour kit. With it I could do 72 hours if the weather was with me, but this is more a PSK as it lacks the spare clothes, food and water that I would normally consider to be part of a 72 kit. That being said, supplimenting what a hiker, hunter or fisherman would carry, or as part of urban EDC, quite nice.

Looks like an AMK/Doug Ritter PSK was used for a base with additions from John D McCann's shop?

Yah for the Heatsheet. Not everyone puts shelter into their PSK, and while you can beat a Heatsheet, you really can't for it's space and weight. You don't need to do the safety pin grommets- it is tough enough to put a small stone in each corner and tie it off. I actually found a really good long term review that confirms what my three and four day tests showed a couple days ago, here

I like that you put your smaller mirror on the outside of the tin. This particular model needs to be protected from scratches, but backing (facing?) it onto the tin this way protects it from that, while keeping it readily available. I like a larger model when possible, but this one works, and while it might not be as bright as a REALLY good glass model, it is enough to signal and most importantly to work as a medical mirror for facial wounds and foriegn objects in the eye.

That being said, do you need two mirrors?

The laser is better than nothing, but small pointers are not known for their robustness or water resistance. I see what your plan on it is, but I'm just not sure it's able to quite fulfill the mission.

While on the topic of signals, be careful with those tube whistles, the plastic "reed" is glued in and not all glue is created equal. I've had them fall out after a while.

Nice tin, looks a bit bigger than what most people use- what are it's dimensions?

Also, +1 on the tape- to borrow the motto, it makes the not waterproof waterproof. And even if it is electricans rather than duct tape, a couple feet of tape is never a bad thing.

Alox Lumberjack? Good item, but yeah, you're budget is bigger than mine. I do wish this was a standard catalog item- it is the most minimalistic bushcrafting tool to companion to a good, small fixed blade.

The Zithromax concerns me, but I have very strong reservations about including antibiotics in any kit- drug resistant strains of many bacteria are my personal nightmare scenario for large scale events. I really don't want to see something akin to the black death, and MRSA almost cost my brother his hand.

I like that you have variety for firestarting, but you have three spark based systems there. Keep your one handed sparker, and the ferro rod with the magnesium. For a PSK, it's enough.

I like it. A few tweeks to save some weight, but that's really it. What I see missing is a higher bulk cordage. I love Spiderwire, and Kevlar thread has a lot of upsides, but larger diameter cord can have advantages- not sure there is room for paracord, but a braided mason's twine is strong and light and you can pack a lot of it into a small space for little cost. Or something like Triptease or a 2mm accessory cord.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 06:54:37 AM
Comis: great video on your survival kit.  :tu:

It addresses two important points that I see missing from most Altoid Tin kits, shelter and water storage. Your kit takes care of both problems nicely, and with minimal space requirement.

Absolutely excellent.

Also... now I need to find a Vic Lumberjack.  :whistle:

Thanks for watching, and the kind words.  :)

I am a SAKaholic, and what I like most about the Lumberjack is it's very similar to what we use for EDC like Farmer or Pioneer.  In fact, I do have a spare one that I EDC or take with when I go outdoor, so I could familiarize myself with the tool. 

Once in a while I see people including a small 'fix blade' in an altoids tin, personally I think it could be a romantic fixation on 'fixed blade' and Lumberjack/Farmer in comparison offers both longer handle and blade for an easy use.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 08:37:17 AM
OK, I'll get my terminology based grumble out of the way. I wouldn't call this a 72 hour kit. With it I could do 72 hours if the weather was with me, but this is more a PSK as it lacks the spare clothes, food and water that I would normally consider to be part of a 72 kit. That being said, supplimenting what a hiker, hunter or fisherman would carry, or as part of urban EDC, quite nice.

Looks like an AMK/Doug Ritter PSK was used for a base with additions from John D McCann's shop?

Yah for the Heatsheet. Not everyone puts shelter into their PSK, and while you can beat a Heatsheet, you really can't for it's space and weight. You don't need to do the safety pin grommets- it is tough enough to put a small stone in each corner and tie it off. I actually found a really good long term review that confirms what my three and four day tests showed a couple days ago, here

I like that you put your smaller mirror on the outside of the tin. This particular model needs to be protected from scratches, but backing (facing?) it onto the tin this way protects it from that, while keeping it readily available. I like a larger model when possible, but this one works, and while it might not be as bright as a REALLY good glass model, it is enough to signal and most importantly to work as a medical mirror for facial wounds and foriegn objects in the eye.

That being said, do you need two mirrors?

The laser is better than nothing, but small pointers are not known for their robustness or water resistance. I see what your plan on it is, but I'm just not sure it's able to quite fulfill the mission.

While on the topic of signals, be careful with those tube whistles, the plastic "reed" is glued in and not all glue is created equal. I've had them fall out after a while.

Nice tin, looks a bit bigger than what most people use- what are it's dimensions?

Also, +1 on the tape- to borrow the motto, it makes the not waterproof waterproof. And even if it is electricans rather than duct tape, a couple feet of tape is never a bad thing.

Alox Lumberjack? Good item, but yeah, you're budget is bigger than mine. I do wish this was a standard catalog item- it is the most minimalistic bushcrafting tool to companion to a good, small fixed blade.

The Zithromax concerns me, but I have very strong reservations about including antibiotics in any kit- drug resistant strains of many bacteria are my personal nightmare scenario for large scale events. I really don't want to see something akin to the black death, and MRSA almost cost my brother his hand.

I like that you have variety for firestarting, but you have three spark based systems there. Keep your one handed sparker, and the ferro rod with the magnesium. For a PSK, it's enough.

I like it. A few tweeks to save some weight, but that's really it. What I see missing is a higher bulk cordage. I love Spiderwire, and Kevlar thread has a lot of upsides, but larger diameter cord can have advantages- not sure there is room for paracord, but a braided mason's twine is strong and light and you can pack a lot of it into a small space for little cost. Or something like Triptease or a 2mm accessory cord.

Thank you for a very detailed reply and your share of thoughts.  :tu:

I have seen the word "72 hours" used in many different forms and ways, and to me, it is based loosely on what Lundin described in his book, that statistically, a person usually have more chances surviving, if he/she gets rescued within 72 hours.  Certainly, every scenario is very different and for all intend and purposes, this are bare minimum 'survival use items' I will carry for a few hours outdoor day event. 

It is what it is, and it is not intend to replace a large kit/large items, nor will it replace skill or proper precaution. ;)  What I do like to stress is, every time when I going outdoor, I let family or friends know my whereabouts.  If it is a routine thing(like trail running), stick to the routine and let people know.  So in case of needing rescue and I can't call for help, I know the some kind of effort may be initiated after day 1.

The only part from AMK is the instruction sheet, which I actually get from the equipped to survive website, it's kind of them to provide that to general public.  I am not affiliated with McCann's "Survival Resources" Shop, but I really do like a lot of the items he has provided.  The 4mil thick waterbag was a brilliant idea and got it from his site.

I like that post about testing the AMK heatsheet, and using debris/material to stuff the corners.  To be honest, I am only lurk warm about how well the heat sheet will work as a 'tarp', it is great for 'space' use when there's no wind and won't make too much noise, but in reality it could be rather noisy to use on earth. :whistle:  As I said in video, shelter comes in many forms and shape, I think I will do my best to improvise at the situation and in worst case scenario, I could simply find hiding and just wrap it around myself.

About the two mirrors, it is just extra precaution.  It wouldn't hurt if I have one on person, while I suspend the other on a branch or give it to another person.  Anything that I could make myself visible, I will do within reason.

Good point about laser, and that's totally 'experimental'.  Currently I still can't find any green laser that's use solid state tech within that small a package.  Again, another attempt to stay visible.  If I have the light, I could hand the laser to someone to point at ground if it is appropriate.

I will keep an eye out for the whistle, I kinda like this one for its compactness and high pitch, but you have a good point on the 'reed'.

This tin is much larger than standard altoids tin, it measures 5" x 3.5" x 1.2".  Roughly 2.5 times the size of Altoids.

I include the Cipro because it is a good counter measure to control/fix explosive diarrhea(I had that in the past, probably due to water problem while I was working oversea, and put it lightly, I just cannot leave the bathroom).  I am sorry to hear about your brother, but this tin is strictly for survival purpose only, so abuse won't be the case here.

Yea, cordage.  There only so much I could fit in a tiny tin like this.  But you will probably see more when I make another video about the big kit.  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%