Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My latest project. What is it?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
My latest project. What is it?
on: July 28, 2014, 02:51:44 AM
This thread is to detail the work on my latest project, and to get some help identifying what I have and what I need for it.  I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but for what I paid for this one (free) I couldn't pass it up.  So, here we go- what is it?

I know it's a bicycle you smart arse, or more specifically a dual suspension, aluminum bodied mountain bike.  I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type (make and/or model) it is.  It's been (badly) painted at least once, covering any markings it did have, so I have to wonder if at some point it was a little bit stolen.  Not that I care, as I plan to strip the paint anyway.

As you can see, it was made in Canada if that helps identify it.  Here are a few more pics:

Since it was free you can expect there are a problems.  The suspension seems functional, the brakes work but it's missing a chain and rear derailleur.  The front derailleur appears to be pretty badly rusted but should be able to be made functional.

The rear shifter seems functional although it's not attached to anything, but the front doesn't up or down shift.  I figure I'm going to have to replace the front shifter, which means probably replacing the rear shifter (keep the "set") which also means replacing the brake handles since these are an all in one unit.  I think it goes without saying that it'll get new cables all around.

I'm also planning to strip the paint off it, although I'm not sure if I'm going to put a new paint job on it or if I am going to leave it as polished aluminum.  I'll probably decide that on the fly, depending on what it looks like after I strip it.  :P

There have been a lot of changes in bikes since I was last into them 20 years ago, so I'm pretty well lost.  If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions for components, setup etc, let'em fly.  This should be a fun build and I'm already looking at replacement components on eBay.  I figure I should have no issues tricking this thing out for under $200.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: My latest project. What is it?
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:51:38 AM
:popcorn:

If I can help, let me know 

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:28:04 AM
It's what's usually (and somewhat unfairly) known as a BSO, or Bicycle-Shaped Object.  Probably not worth sinking a lot of money into it, but fun to tinker with.  It'll probably be hard to make the suspension work properly as the usually didn't work very well when they left the factory.  The gears and stuff should be ok once you've doused them with WD40 and replaced the cables.  It doesn't look like it's had a particularly hard life so a strip down, thorough clean and a good lubing should work wonders.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:54:41 AM
It still looks sorta like a bicycle to me.
Or a 2-wheeled 1-seated pedal-powered double decker bus.
Or a wingless flying motorcycle without an engine.
Or a mutant horse with grafted-on wheels which sweats rust.
It could also be a mutant metal aubergine transformer from Mars, posing as a bicycle. 
From a certain angle it also looks like a Mechanical purple yeti in a wheelchair...
 :whistle:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 11:03:33 AM
Free  :salute: always good  :tu:,sadly as said the rear suspension wont be great but the judys are serviceable  :tu: possibly you just need new cables for the gesrs as look a tad frayed  :D shame you dont live closer boss as ive got parts dating from 50's-90's i just supplied a friend parts for his 1950's racing bike project, good luck  :salute:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:41:05 AM
It looks like a fairly generic mountain bike so you should be able to get new forks and shock for very little dosh on evilbay :)

Everything else just needs a good clean and possibly new cables then your good to go :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 11:50:28 AM
Problem I see are the shocks and the chain.

Shocks are kinda difficult to fix and replacing them is probably going to cost you more than you are willing to spend.
The missing chain is also a problem, because a new chain will not fit nicely on those gear-wheels, so that probably means you have to replace both chain and gear-wheels.

If you can get 2nd hand spares you probably can fix it for a good price. New parts would probably make it more expensive than a new bike.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 11:55:11 AM
I've been pricing out gears, shifters, chains and cables on eBay and that's where I got the "under $200" estimate from. I just want to be sure I'm buying the right stuff.

The shocks are fine. They are as functional as they get, or I wouldn't have bothered with it in the first place.  I've ridden by never owned a full suspension bike so this should be am interesting project.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 12:18:37 PM
Grant have you got a junk yard near you as i used to pick up old but good parts from mine,i cant tell if the cogs are hiperglide  :think: or screw on,but as said you will need to replace cogs and chain to work properly,before you invest too much check in out local sales as might pick up a better bike for under $200  :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 05:17:44 PM
No decent junk yards, and if there were there wouldn't likely be anything worthwhile there because of the speed at which things rust here.

I'll just order parts on eBay.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:54:40 PM
Ha,  I love these projects, start with good intentions of recycling (:facepalm: pun) something that's really too good to throw out... end up spending more than a new one is worth and still end up with a half worn out piece of smurf with flogged out bearings and wobbly wheels.

Best of luck boss,  I hope you have more success than I usually do :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 12:45:34 AM
Thanks.  :D

It's been a long time since I did anything with a bike and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good chain/derailleur/gear combination, or is that something I need to worry about?  I mean will any chain fit every set of gears or is there a difference in brand and type nowadays?

I see chains listed as seven speed, nine speed, ten speed etc, which I assume only accounts for the rear gears?  This one has seven gears in the back and three on the front crank for a total of twenty one.

I'd hate to buy parts that don't fit.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 12:56:38 AM
Boss from what I could see you've a Shimano TY group set,so the chain should be cheap as chips. The TY ain't great,but it is tough! The crap I used to put my TY equipped bikes through :facepalm:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 01:25:19 AM
I'd planned to stick to Shimano as that is one of the few names I recognize from the good old days. They were good back then and I was hoping they'd still be good now.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I replace the chain, front and rear derailleur etc with Shimano stuff it should pretty well all fit together properly?

Def

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 01:31:19 AM
I'd planned to stick to Shimano as that is one of the few names I recognize from the good old days. They were good back then and I was hoping they'd still be good now.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but if I replace the chain, front and rear derailleur etc with Shimano stuff it should pretty well all fit together properly?

Def

Sort of...it's a bit like SAK modding. Some group sets are cross compatible,and some arn't. Kinda like putting Wenger tools in a Vic chassis?

In the days I was spanner ing with intent,TY group sets were split into indexed and friction. The fact that you've got EZ or Quickfire shifter/levers means you've got an indexed group set. What it means( I think) is you should be able to use TY21 or up,Altus or the one up from Altus.

Or hit things with a big hammer,that always helps :B:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 02:05:04 AM
Well, best of luck, I was always into bikes, ever since I was like :think: 4? But I was always a simple 20" BMX kinda guy, until about 8yrs ago I bought one kinda like yours, 21 speed, 26", suspension on both front and back, I don't think I got more then 5 miles out of it, kinda sucks.. JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 03:10:43 AM
If the Rock Shox are in working order then some fresh oil and you should be good to go.  You may need new seals and those IIRC can be purchased still.  As fas a new chain since you have 7 cog set in rear the chain you get will say "for 7 speed" you can use higher just not lower and I wouldn't go much higher than 9 speed.  I'd replace the rear cog set and front chain rings as well since you will be getting a new chain anyway.  Clean and lube and moving parts.         
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 12:31:09 AM
I've been looking at Shimano Group sets on eBay and it looks like there are a few sets available for around $200.  Is Alivio any good? Also, us there anything else I should be looking for?

The only problem I see with the Alivio group set is that there are no integrated brake levers on the shifters, which is what I currently have. Changing the shifters means having to get new brake handles too.

Def

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 07:20:31 AM
I guess to start from the beginning I would first determine what works and what doesn't.  You can get 7 speed replacement rear cassettes no problem but the next question is how is the hub?

You can get replacement front chain rings but how is your bottom bracket?  If you are gonna do the work yourself you will need some specialized tools as well. 

It would be great to know exactly what can be salvaged and what actually need replacing.  Do you know if your drive chain system even works?  You may need a whole new crank set including bottom bracket as well as rear cassette and derailer and hub.  With out a chain Im not so sure how to go about testing other than having a bike shop look at it.   

The group you saw is a good basic set but I guess for me I'd start with how is my current system working then go from there.

You can go buy all new and start fresh..... rear 7 speed cassette, new front chainrings, new cables, make sure to get index compatible, the Shimano SIS = Shimano Index System.  I'd also stick with the same "tooth" size front and rear for your sprocket sets.

Getting an integrated brake/shifting system shouldn't be a problem I dont think.       
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 12:19:00 PM
As much as I was looking forward to rebuilding this one, some of you made sense when suggesting I look around for a second hand bike at a reasonable price.  I have found a brand new bike that (supposedly) someone won in a contest but doesn't want so they are selling it for $125- far cheaper than the $200 I had expected to put into this one.

I'll try to meet this person today and I'll report back with whether or not I am successful with the new one.

Def

gb Offline Philby

Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 12:50:31 PM
In my own half arsed way, I'd just by a new chain, cover it in grease and/or oil, and ride the smurf out if it! Unless the cogs are warped id stick with what's there. Greasing and using should clean up the working parts alright. As for the frame up to you, I like the beaten up old rusty look myself, also less likely to get nicked! So new chain and keep this as a beater, and/or get the other for $125. If it was me i'd probably just get a new chain and see how it goes, if I bought  the new one it would live in my shed and never get used, the old beater with new chain would get used exclusively and kept outside always ready to rock and roll!  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 05:04:42 PM
In my own half arsed way, I'd just by a new chain, cover it in grease and/or oil, and ride the smurf out if it! Unless the cogs are warped id stick with what's there. Greasing and using should clean up the working parts alright. As for the frame up to you, I like the beaten up old rusty look myself, also less likely to get nicked! So new chain and keep this as a beater, and/or get the other for $125. If it was me i'd probably just get a new chain and see how it goes, if I bought  the new one it would live in my shed and never get used, the old beater with new chain would get used exclusively and kept outside always ready to rock and roll!  :tu:

This is what I was worried about.  That's why I wondered if they even worked and not having a chain and rear derailer spoiled that.  I agree it would be great to stick a chain on and ride it like he stole it  8).  It may still be a decent project down the road if you should run into parts. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 07:22:47 PM
Now you tell me.... :P

I've just gotten a new bike for about half of what I was going to put into the old one. And, like an idiot I decided to go to the local park and see how badly out of shape I am.  Well, as it turns out, very.

I shot video although I think it might meet with an accident, never to be seen again.... after I give in to some sadistic pleasure and watch it myself.

At any rate, here's the bike.

Def

uploadfromtaptalk1406827364334.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1406827364334.jpg (Filesize: 100.41 KB)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 07:28:41 PM
I think that was a good decision to for the new bike. That looks in better shape than your 200$ would have gotten the rust bucket :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 07:31:14 PM
Nice find, now you gotta paint the white green to match the jeep, leave the black black to match and even the little blue on the back next to the chain to match the license plate! Nice grab! JR

And even the white on the fork too, to match the plate!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:33:09 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Pacu

Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 07:38:17 PM
swap out everything for ritchey logic, go full shimano xtr, spinergy wheels, continental cross countries, and a brooks saddle.  >:D

i was way into bikes (road, mountain and cross) and the oh so expensive parts in the late 90s.

always remember the ride is more important than the shwag.
:like:    :MTO:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 07:49:45 PM
I think I'll just play with this one as is for now. Bikes sure have changed a lot since the 90's. 

This one is a bit small for me though.  I'm at the very upper limit of what this bike is supposed to be able to manage but it'll do me for a while, at least until I decide if this is something I'm going to stick with or not.  I think the other one is bigger, so I may decide later on to use this one as a donor for the other one.

There's still a bit more tweaking involved in this one to get it perfect, and it'll take me a while to get used to the twisty shifters, but all in all its functional enough for now.

Def

gb Offline Philby

Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 07:51:17 PM
Good deal on the new bike, just need to leave it outside a lot to get a nice coating of Red Oxide!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 08:02:35 PM
bike looks like a Pro-Flex maybe Girvin or K2.  Those shocks in the back range in price from $ to $$$$. Fox makes them of you could hit up ebay or a friendly bike shop for a replacement.
I went full suspension back in the day when schwinn went full in to high end bikes. Had a Homegrown. I felt invincible thrashing the singletrack ..just floating over stuff .

As for the Judy if i remember my rockshock builds you could replace the oil system for coil springs and elastamer shock innards.

I was what bikers call a Clydesdale ..a bigger than the average stick boy rider. Try finding bike shoes in size 17. I never went into carbon fiber after reading about a fiber seat post breaking and stabbing a fellow in his manhood.  :P
:like:    :MTO:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 08:06:56 PM
I never went into carbon fiber after reading about a fiber seat post breaking and stabbing a fellow in his manhood:P
:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD