Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman make a quality sheath already........... Hellllllooo

Aloha · 39 · 5223

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
So a new member posted pics of a great sheath he made to fit his Surge and Crunch plus a few other items and it really got me thinking.   Why the heck doesnt LM team with a leather maker to make a quality sheath that many would buy?  The Leather sheath that came with my Surge is not good IMO nor is the one the Rebar comes with. 

There is so much more that could be done with their sheaths, Metro has a great one, members have made some very nice ones, I've seen them all over the place come on Leatherman  :pok:.  I'd love an official Leatherman branded one with a belt clip and button that said LM on it.  I like one that had LM tooled in, stamped on, whatever as long as it had LM on it. 

It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me and it seems like they could sell them at a decent price as well.  I dont know maybe I'm missing someting  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Its a great idea, but how they are running the company is going the opposite direction. They are cutting cost and raising prices to maximize profit. Their is no way they would spend the money to design and make a quality sheath. This is just my opinion, but seems pretty obvious to me.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Its a great idea, but how they are running the company is going the opposite direction. They are cutting cost and raising prices to maximize profit. Their is no way they would spend the money to design and make a quality sheath. This is just my opinion, but seems pretty obvious to me.

sadly, people realize too late, that they should have re-invested money to make more money.

I think they should,  however, the average buyer (not those enlightened like us) care more about it being $4 cheaper, than how nice it (or the it's sheath) is

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Rux

I've been noticing the price increases too. The ST300 I would like to get is only available at a respectable price on EBay.

6 months ago when I looked at an ST300 in BO, Amazon prices were comparable to the current EBay offerings.

Now Amazon pricing is $30-$40 more per unit than EBay. I imagine once the lower cost offerings on EBay dry up, their prices will be similar to that of Amazon.   :(

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Leathermans original wave leather sheath  :drool: ill say no more  :D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
The old leather sheaths are great, but the new ones are poo.  Sadly though, most leather things you buy today are poo, unless you spend big bucks.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
I want to get it but it's just stupid.  They sell MTs and Lights so why not make a sheath that can carry them both?  I have a Surge sheath that is not up to the task and after seeing the new guys thread I am even more annoyed at LM.  I think I'll have to make my own  :think: the sucky part is I know nothing and have nothing to start.  I may have to come up with something myself.  I love my Skinth but leather in this case is what I'm after. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline RimfireNZ

The current Leatherman nylon/plastic sheathers are junk. The belt loop is so weak that all you need to do is jump in the truck and if you catch it on the seat, that's it. Sheath busted.

The Leather ones can be good or bad.

* My old PST2 sheath is fantastic.
* My Rebar sheath is alright.
* Same with the Blast ones... though my newest Blast the leather is terrible (almost plastic feeling).
* The leather Wave sheath I have is brilliant (it doesn't move once it's on your belt).

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
I also kind of like the rebars leather sheath,its like there old pst type sheath but leather isnt as good quality but ok,my of wave and xe6 fit in this sheath as well  :tu:

Offline david.nay.35

• New User
I went to making them when the sheath went poor.  Now its great I'm selling sheaths and I have really learned to like it thanks LM

nz Offline RimfireNZ

I don't like the leather sheathes that are coming with the bulk of the Leathermans, but they're much better than the crappy nylon ones.

That being said, the leather one that came with my Wave is a different style, and it's excellent

au Offline harronek

Make your own , its fun .

Ken
A designer know he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Nice sheath!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Nice work.  I believe I will take a stab at making myself a sheath.  I love the nylon sheaths ability to hold the pliers in the open and ready position so I have a few ideas. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
I love my pst ii leather sheath. :drool: My wave's nylon and leather sheath isn't bad either. It lets you have the pliers in it open and holds a bit card and extender.

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Great looking sheaths Ken :tu:

no Offline Grathr

Great looking sheath Harronek! :tu:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Great looking sheath Harronek! :tu:

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

That is one sweet sheath!

Aloha007,

Don't worry finding the right leather sheath for LM, Victorinox made so many different types, one bound to fit. :D

Offline david.nay.35

• New User
Re: Leatherman make a quality sheath already........... Hellllllooo
Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 07:19:32 PM
Anyone would be proud to wear that sheath great craftsmanship love it

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 05:44:49 AM
I don't like the leather sheathes that are coming with the bulk of the Leathermans, but they're much better than the crappy nylon ones.

That being said, the leather one that came with my Wave is a different style, and it's excellent

(Image removed from quote.)

I've had one of these on my belt for 2 years with either a wave or a Rebar in it, and it's doing great.  Awesome sheath.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 10:38:23 PM
I didn't like how loose the new leather sheath was that came with my Rebar. I had an extra original PST sheath that I was able to wet and form fit to the Rebar. It didn't take much just needed a bit extra room for the lock release tabs.

It fits like a glove.

us Offline sjdep97

Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 04:15:37 AM
It is a shame that only garbage sheaths are provided by Leatherman. You would think that Tim would take a little more pride in what his tools are carried in.  :multi:
NRA Life member

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 05:14:13 AM
It is a shame that only garbage sheaths are provided by Leatherman. You would think that Tim would take a little more pride in what his tools are carried in.  :multi:

Or at the very least offer a quality one as an accessory. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 06:46:43 PM

I don't think Tim is as involved with the company anymore. I thought he had semi-retired and left the running of the company to his son? I think it was around the time they started pumping out all those one-piece and action sports specific tools.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 06:56:00 PM
IIRC Tim's son Lee is not running the company, he is VP of Development on the Leatherman Sport side, or something to that effect. 

And the Sheath's have been rubbish for a loooong time, a very long time.  I remember buying a Blast around 8 years ago, and that sheath had to be replaced 3 times in a year.

Don't get me started on the Leatherman sport tools, while they are neat looking and functional, they are definitely not in line with what I consider a Leatherman to be. 

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #25 on: November 30, 2014, 09:49:05 PM
IIRC Tim's son Lee is not running the company, he is VP of Development on the Leatherman Sport side, or something to that effect. 

And the Sheath's have been rubbish for a loooong time, a very long time.  I remember buying a Blast around 8 years ago, and that sheath had to be replaced 3 times in a year.

Don't get me started on the Leatherman sport tools, while they are neat looking and functional, they are definitely not in line with what I consider a Leatherman to be.

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't too sure what his actual role was.

I agree, the sport-specific tools are not 'Leatherman' to me.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
I really wish they came with a nylon pouch that has a clip as I don't always wear a belt. Also something for the Juice.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
if investing into r&d, tooling, materials and whatever else comes along with putting out a new QUALITY  SHEATH  is too expensive these days, why not just partner up\invest with a reputable sheath maker, ie 'maxpedition' or the like?
It may be a boost for both companies.I don't know about everyone, but I'd pay for a 'real' molle lm sheath:D
They've taken care of snowboarders, skateboarders, bow hunters, gun range shooters, why not throw a bone to us loyal edc'ers  :pok:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 04:37:47 PM by JBW1 »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
if investing into r&d, tooling, materials and whatever else comes along with putting out a new QUALITY  SHEATH  is too expensive these days, why not just partner up\invest with a reputable sheath maker, ie 'maxpedition' or the like?
It may be a boost for both companies.I don't know about everyone, but I'd pay for a 'real' molle lm sheath:D
They've taken care of snowboarders, skateboarders, bow hunters, gun range shooters, why not throw a bone to us loyal edc'ers  :pok:

I agree with this ^^

It would make good sense to not reinvent the wheel and partner with a top brand or even some smaller ones Condor, Rothco, etc.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice

(Image removed from quote.)
If you guys can find one of these I strongly recomend it. This is what holds my Wave to the Center Console. I Bolt through the belt holster

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%