Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG PowerLock EOD/BO

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
SOG PowerLock EOD/BO
on: August 01, 2014, 03:18:18 AM
Can anyone educate me on this particular tool? Regardless of SOG's various shortcomings, I am a fan and own several of them. The exposed gears do not bother me in the least. I now own an EOD model and was hoping someone could tell me whether or not they like theirs. Either way, I'll keep it, but I was just curious as to it's standing within the MT.O community.

Thanks in advance.

Stew... :cheers:
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

Offline jdindadell

Re: SOG PowerLock EOD/BO
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 06:21:11 AM
I have 3 powerlocks, 2 with v cutters and one with scissors.  I consider them to be very good tools, although I have my issues with the tool covers.  I leave them on as I mainly use the tools as pliers.  I especially like the precision needle nose and geared head.  One is on my bench at work, another is in my handy tool tote at the house.  The 3rd will be setup as a cart tool with specific tools.  I may add in a wire stripped to the home tool as it seems to get a lot of use when I do any wiring.  I am "old school" and prefer to attach house wiring to the sides of the outlet via the screws, the press fit holes in the back of the outlet are just too questionable to me.

I have not purchased a BO model as I do not need that feature and have heard that the BO can come off???  I am guessing the EOD model has a C4 spike and cap crimper?  Not sure I would have a use for those tools, the spike could be handy as a scribe or pokey tool.  I certainly see its value.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 07:26:37 AM
I have always been a faithful believer in sog multitools. They are at par with the big names out there. While I find myself mostly using my leatherman sideclip for more urbane environments, I always carry my sog powerlock with confidence especially for extended outdoor trips

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:02:44 PM
I had a time years ago when I was hugely into the PowerLock and PowerPlier. One nice thing I can say about it is the individual tools are fun to swap out and custom configure to your own liking.

I can honestly say I got a lot of use and enjoyment out of my PL. Although I did snap the plier head off while bending a piece of metal, I sometimes regret selling off my SOG collection. The knife blades although chisel ground were nice and replaceable, the V-cutters were cool and they cut great. The drivers were good. Pretty much everything but the scissors worked adequately.

So, if you enjoy yours, I think that's a good thing. Take my advise though and try to accumulate as many extra pieces and parts as you can. This includes extra knife blades, drivers, cutters, etc.

I'd like to see pics of your PL's if possible :tu:
SAW

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 03:52:29 PM
All great info. Thanks guys. Sawman the one I bought is in the tools for sale section, it came with that little Gerber curve. Just for laughs, I also considered swapping out the tools and handle covers for a contrasting black/silver look. It would match several of my 1911's. :whistle:

Stew...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%