Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Walking stick/Cane suggestions anyone?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Walking stick/Cane suggestions anyone?
on: August 02, 2014, 10:04:42 PM
As some of you know, my left knee is a disaster.  Despite two pretty major operations and tons of therapy, injections, etc, I'm just in constant pain and the leg feels very weak at times.  I'm giving serious thought to a walking stick to help me get around a bit better and help take some of the weight off that leg if needed.  Does anyone use one regularly?  Any suggestions?
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Walking stick/Cane suggestions anyone?
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 12:46:50 AM
I have seen posts from people ruining their hand from using the wrong kind of handle on their walking stick. I have no suggestions myself, but I think this is a purchase which deserves thorough research.

Good luck!  :salute:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:48:41 AM by Steinar »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 01:04:47 AM
After using cheaper walking sticks which inevitably broke I bought a Leki walking stick and its great! :)

Really tough and robust, comfortable to use and telescopes into a very small package :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 01:59:57 AM
I think a cane just might be another one of those things a person has got to try a few of before knowing what really works the best.

I'd try something cool looking first

http://www.coldsteel.com/Sword-Canes.aspx
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:07:39 AM
a flask cane might help forget the pain and get you through the day.  :rofl:

I wish I had useful info to add, but I do not.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:19:13 AM

:D  Excellent point!

[/quote]
I think a cane just might be another one of those things a person has got to try a few of before knowing what really works the best.

Oh those are sweet!  Illegal as all hell here, but sweet nonetheless......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 02:22:59 AM

:D  Excellent point!

Oh those are sweet!  Illegal as all hell here, but sweet nonetheless......
[/quote]

I wouldn't want you breaking the law .

Stupid laws. I suppose it's a hidden wepon. 
Defend the Hive!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 03:23:29 AM
Yep, get out there and try as many as you can find to see which is the right fit for you. A cane is very personal.

EDIT: Some ideas...

1. If you want something cheap and very sturdy, take a gander at farm stores for a livestock cane.
2. There are plenty of fancy canes out there.
3. The aluminum ones can be adjusted for height, and the rubber foot on some may contain a hidden spike for rough ground or winter ice...much like a good camera tripod. They even sell an add on that attached to your metal cane that swing downward to give you some ice picks, and swing up when you don't need it.

You can get the traditional round cane handle, or a more modern T handle. This will depend on preference.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:35:11 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 03:41:22 AM
I would look into this IF I HAD MONEY!

then you could just run to work, and not even be all that tired.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 03:42:47 AM
I myself have been thinking of getting something, I do a lot of walking(I just got home from a six mile walk) and not on dirt but concrete! Needless to say my feet hurt and I think I pulled a muscle in a uncomfortable area.. Anyway, I'm not one for canes and I have two long hiking sticks, which I don't use, there just too long for a flat terrain, so I was thinking of just getting a rake from lowes/HD, and cutting the head off, put a rubber shoe on, and wrap a paracord handle, but shorter then a hiking stick and longer then a cane,, for that just right length. I'll tell you what it sure in heck would have come in handy today! JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 03:53:56 AM
Yeah, if I should ever need a cane, I'm totally getting a sword cane :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 04:42:47 AM
Those things are illegal in certain states, if not most.. JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 05:02:45 AM

But nobody will know because it's a secret hidden sword, and if anyone's going to find out about it....well it'll already be too late for them >:D :whistle:
K-Tibbs

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 05:08:14 AM

But nobody will know because it's a secret hidden sword, and if anyone's going to find out about it....well it'll already be too late for them >:D :whistle:
Ya ya, but by the time you draw the sword I would have hit you over the head with my hiking stick to knock you out! :twak: lol, JR

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 05:11:48 AM

Ya ya, but by the time you draw the sword I would have hit you over the head with my hiking stick to knock you out! :twak: lol, JR

Oh we'll see about that :duel:
K-Tibbs

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 05:15:00 AM

:rofl: ha ha ha! Now that would be funny! JR

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 05:15:45 AM

:rofl: ha ha ha! Now that would be funny! JR

Yeah it would.  There can be only one!
K-Tibbs

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 06:43:23 AM
After using cheaper walking sticks which inevitably broke I bought a Leki walking stick and its great! :)

Really tough and robust, comfortable to use and telescopes into a very small package :)

+1

Lucky for now I still don't need it for knee, but whenever I need to walk a lot distance and hiking, I always bring my Leki with me.  It does help to take the weight off the knees and definitely allow me to walk longer and easier. 

There are specific technique people use to make it more efficient.  It only take a few hours to master that technique, and I don't even need to 'hold' onto my hiking poles the whole time when I was walking which I think is great compared to traditional walking cane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skXVMA5nShA

I think the good thing is you could use it for day-to-day walking and definitely use it for trail walking when it is most needed.

Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 11:32:12 AM
I would get something adjustable though as I bought a cold steel dragon cane and its fine when I've got my boots on, but does it still fit with trainers?...nope ::)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 11:38:13 AM
I would get something adjustable though as I bought a cold steel dragon cane and its fine when I've got my boots on, but does it still fit with trainers?...nope ::)

Maybe I should've post this in 'random thoughts' thread, but it occur to me that why don't someone make a cane with hollow middle to fit in emergency meds or contact info, it's gonna be more useful than a sword...on a daily basis.  :)

Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 12:21:42 PM
They do/did make hiking poles with small compartments for survival gear, they may well still be available???

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #21 on: August 03, 2014, 01:50:01 PM
A Shillelaghs maybe (or the Cold Steel copy)?

I always thought those looked cool. :D

Thought Mike is probably right about finding something with adjustable length.  :tu:

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #22 on: August 03, 2014, 02:19:23 PM
Many years ago I had a bad fall on the ice & seriously damaged my knee.
Once I could get out & about again I was using a Fischer type adjustable stick, excellent design.

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 02:28:07 PM
I would imagine that this would be illegal in NJ, in fact I can't imagine it being legal anywhere.

"The Crawford Survival Staff"
http://www.urbanlifestylegear.com/2011/06/crawford-survival-staff/

It can be a hiking staff, walking stick or baton, blow gun, knife, lance or 3 prong fishing spear.  :sa:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2014, 05:36:57 PM

Maybe I should've post this in 'random thoughts' thread, but it occur to me that why don't someone make a cane with hollow middle to fit in emergency meds or contact info, it's gonna be more useful than a sword...on a daily basis.  :)
Right! that's why I was looking into a rake, grant it, it's just a simple stick without a handle but that's all I was looking for, but it's a Fiberglass-Handle Garden Rake, compleatly hollow! So if need be you could put things inside.. But the reason I was looking at it was that it says it's only 2.6lbs, and that's with a 14" steel head, so the handles gotta weigh like nothing, like bamboo! JR

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 03, 2014, 10:58:58 PM
I see my orthopedic on Friday, and I'm going to see what he thinks of this idea.  I really think it'll help, especially since at this point I've told him that there will be no third operation if all they're going to do is "exploratory surgery".  They've had the leg open twice, and I have the screws and scars to prove it.   :facepalm: No need to look around, he knows what's in there already......

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 11:29:02 AM
I would imagine that this would be illegal in NJ, in fact I can't imagine it being legal anywhere.

"The Crawford Survival Staff"
http://www.urbanlifestylegear.com/2011/06/crawford-survival-staff/

It can be a hiking staff, walking stick or baton, blow gun, knife, lance or 3 prong fishing spear.  :sa:

(Image removed from quote.)
Hunting with a cane!  So blow gun to subdue, spear it at mid range and close the deal with a knife...total ninja turtle stuff.  :D

Right! that's why I was looking into a rake, grant it, it's just a simple stick without a handle but that's all I was looking for, but it's a Fiberglass-Handle Garden Rake, compleatly hollow! So if need be you could put things inside.. But the reason I was looking at it was that it says it's only 2.6lbs, and that's with a 14" steel head, so the handles gotta weigh like nothing, like bamboo! JR
I think the rake is a brilliant idea, but is fiberglass easy to break?  I read online that how it's put together may determine how easily it breaks, but if it works for a heavy rake, I would assume they could be pretty durable.  But do careful how you work with the fiberglass, I think it may be similar to CF and it's definitely no good when breathed in.  :ahhh

JD, good luck with the doctor.  I too do think it's costly and time consuming when surgery yields no concrete result, hopefully there are some other form of non-invasive treatment/alternative that will heal your knee better.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 03:00:55 PM
As some of you know, my left knee is a disaster.  Despite two pretty major operations and tons of therapy, injections, etc, I'm just in constant pain and the leg feels very weak at times.  I'm giving serious thought to a walking stick to help me get around a bit better and help take some of the weight off that leg if needed.  Does anyone use one regularly?  Any suggestions?

jerseydevil, I've been on a cane/walking stick since my right foot and ankle were badly damaged while on active duty in the army. That was 1972. They told me at Walter Reed Army hospital in Washington, where I was sent for physical therapy and taught to walk again with what I had left, I'd need a cane for the rest of my life.

So…I just couldn't see myself in my 20's with an old fogy cane, so I got used to carrying a rustic walking stick. At first, I used an Irish Blackthorn an Unlce gave me, then I made some of my own from hornbeam. The hande is important to be comfortable. If you  use a root ball handle, it has to be big enough to support your weight on your hand. I now use a L shaped handle as it's more comfortable in my older age now that I'm a senior citizen. I've included a pic to give you an idea.

A side benefit of a stout walking stick is it's a great defensive weapon with the right training, and it goes anywhere. Even on board airplanes. I've traveled with mine to most parts of the U.S. and Europe with no problems. A stick makes life a lot easier for you in the long run, and gives you something to lean on on a bad day. Do yourself a favor, get a walking stick and make it part of your persona. It will become part of you, and people won't even notice after a bit.

The one on the far left is a irish blackthorn without the black finish. slightly angled pistol grip is comfortable most of the time. It's also a very heavy stick, and I think of it as my downtown riot stick. The one on the far right is a hornbeam that is local grown. I took a garden trowel and dug aound the roots until I found one that had a 90 degree angle root and cut it off. The L shape is the most comfortable on a "bad" day. The black one second from the right is another blackthorn, but the root ball is big enough that it gives great feel and support when my foot or ankle is really bothering me.

It's been 40 years since my service injury, and a good stick has been a best friend to me. I really resisted it when I was young, but if you need it, you need it. Why make life hard on yourself. Besides, everyone who knows you will just accept it side they know you have had this knee trouble, so flow with it. Then get some basic kendo or other stick training, and you'll be well armed in the midst of our east coast liberal jungle.  :tu:

Even the black metal adjustable one with the foam grip can be used with some block and thrust techniques, and will make a viable defense weapon.

Close up of L shaped handle.

Another handle that is very comfortable, a 45 degree pistol grip. Like the other handle, I use sandpaper to sand a bit, feel it, sand some more, until I get a handle that feels just right in my hand.

Good luck with finding a good stick. As a long time gimp, rated 50% disabled by the V.A., please feel free to ask me any advise for sticks and living with them.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:18:55 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Reply #28 on: August 04, 2014, 03:29:11 PM
You've got a pretty nice collection there mate :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 04, 2014, 04:17:33 PM
Yeah nice collection cbl, I kinda like the ones with the ball type end.. That would be a good hand grip to help get up from sitting, I got bad knees and a bad back, after sitting for awhile I feel stiff in each joint and need a push then stretch, waking on the other hand I'm ok, but after so long things want to kinda give out,, JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%