Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Walking stick/Cane suggestions anyone?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Walking stick/Cane suggestions anyone?
Reply #30 on: August 04, 2014, 04:39:45 PM
Very nice canes, and the type I like...with plenty of character.

I think you have inspired me to take some photos of the stuff I have and post them in this thread.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #31 on: August 04, 2014, 04:42:45 PM
First, thank you for your service sir. :salute:  That is a very nice collection indeed.  I agree about making it part of your persona.  People are used to seeing me light up a briar or cob pipe when relaxing, so I'm already known for a few unusual things for my age. :)  I've already been looking around, we'll see what I end up with.  Lots of options out there I know.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 05:29:17 PM
Ok, this is what I have. Unlike cbl51, I do not need any of them. I am attracted to wooden canes for some reason.

Forgive me for my winter crocks that the back straps broke and are now relegated to back yard duty.

The first is a live stock crook. Not sure of the wood, but it is very dense and hard. Built like a tank, and has plenty of wooden character to it. Not that expensive as I found it at the Tractor Supply Store. I attached a rubber foot to it.

A whistle Creek Hickory walking stick. This one features a nice and heavy metal ball. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of this.

I found this one at Winners a few years back. It is an India made walking cane featuring a rather nice bone handle and inlay.

Another Whistle Creek walking stick. I just loved the wood design.

I bought this one from a janitor who liked to make these as a hobby. He brought a few and I selected this one because I liked the joinery, and the  metal nail accents that are found here and there all long the shaft.

Those are the wooden ones that I like because they have character. Then you also have the metal ones that are probably more practical, but are rather generic and bland. They are very adjustable, and you can get them with attachments to add winter spikes, etc.

Here is a nice Airgo Comfort.

This aluminium cane is not that good because that foam grip, although comfortable at times, does not like getting wet. Furthermore, the whole foam grip gets slippery when wet. In other words, that foam will slide around easily. However, it does feature an add on that allows the user to navigate icy terrain with ease. It also folds away when not needed.

There are also walking sticks made specifically for hikers. These usually feature a shock, be it pneumatic, or spring, that allows the tip to flex. These are also very adjustable.

And here are the walking sticks I like along with most of the canes.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 07:10:31 PM by Chako »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 06:52:28 PM
Ok, this is what I have. Unlike cbl51, I do not need any of them. I am attracted to wooden canes for some reason.

Forgive me for my winter crocks that the back straps broke and are now relegated to back yard duty.

The first is a live stock crook. Not sure of the wood, but it is very dense and hard. Built like a tank, and has plenty of wooden character to it. Not that expensive as I found it at the Tractor Supply Store. I attached a rubber foot to it.

Is there anything you don't collect :rofl:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 07:06:46 PM
Yes, women. I have a hard time with those apparently.  :D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: August 04, 2014, 07:14:54 PM
As some of you know, my left knee is a disaster.  Despite two pretty major operations and tons of therapy, injections, etc, I'm just in constant pain and the leg feels very weak at times.  I'm giving serious thought to a walking stick to help me get around a bit better and help take some of the weight off that leg if needed.  Does anyone use one regularly?  Any suggestions?

jerseydevil, I've been on a cane/walking stick since my right foot and ankle were badly damaged while on active duty in the army. That was 1972. They told me at Walter Reed Army hospital in Washington, where I was sent for physical therapy and taught to walk again with what I had left, I'd need a cane for the rest of my life.

So…I just couldn't see myself in my 20's with an old fogy cane, so I got used to carrying a rustic walking stick. At first, I used an Irish Blackthorn an Unlce gave me, then I made some of my own from hornbeam. The hande is important to be comfortable. If you  use a root ball handle, it has to be big enough to support your weight on your hand. I now use a L shaped handle as it's more comfortable in my older age now that I'm a senior citizen. I've included a pic to give you an idea.

A side benefit of a stout walking stick is it's a great defensive weapon with the right training, and it goes anywhere. Even on board airplanes. I've traveled with mine to most parts of the U.S. and Europe with no problems. A stick makes life a lot easier for you in the long run, and gives you something to lean on on a bad day. Do yourself a favor, get a walking stick and make it part of your persona. It will become part of you, and people won't even notice after a bit.

(Image removed from quote.)

The one on the far left is a irish blackthorn without the black finish. slightly angled pistol grip is comfortable most of the time. It's also a very heavy stick, and I think of it as my downtown riot stick. The one on the far right is a hornbeam that is local grown. I took a garden trowel and dug aound the roots until I found one that had a 90 degree angle root and cut it off. The L shape is the most comfortable on a "bad" day. The black one second from the right is another blackthorn, but the root ball is big enough that it gives great feel and support when my foot or ankle is really bothering me.

It's been 40 years since my service injury, and a good stick has been a best friend to me. I really resisted it when I was young, but if you need it, you need it. Why make life hard on yourself. Besides, everyone who knows you will just accept it side they know you have had this knee trouble, so flow with it. Then get some basic kendo or other stick training, and you'll be well armed in the midst of our east coast liberal jungle.  :tu:

Even the black metal adjustable one with the foam grip can be used with some block and thrust techniques, and will make a viable defense weapon.

Close up of L shaped handle.

Another handle that is very comfortable, a 45 degree pistol grip. Like the other handle, I use sandpaper to sand a bit, feel it, sand some more, until I get a handle that feels just right in my hand.

Good luck with finding a good stick. As a long time gimp, rated 50% disabled by the V.A., please feel free to ask me any advise for sticks and living with them.

Great post  :tu: Love the L handled one  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #36 on: August 04, 2014, 08:46:48 PM
Wow Chako, nice collection! My wife has one just like that aluminum "L" one, but that cleat, that's a neat little idea, slick! But I'm more toward the hiking ones, these are my only two, but I got to get a daily one,, JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 10:29:31 PM
Well, I saw the doctor this morning.  Aside from needing an MRI and a CT scan, he said to me, "I hate to tell you this, because people your age don't want to hear it, but you need to start using a cane to help keep weight off the knee if you're in that much pain while walking".  I told him that I was actually about to ask just that question.  Even though it was something I'd already decided was needed, still sucked hearing it officially from the doctor.  :(  Anyway, to start off with, at the office he gave me this:

My insurance paid for it, so I really can't complain.  I'll use it to get used to walking with it, while taking a look around and finding something a bit more "me" to use.  So, that's where this little odyssey is starting.  I'll be sure to update when I get my next "walking assistance device".  I'm not going to call it a cane yet, 35 year-olds don't use canes.  ;)  After 40 however.....  ::)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 10:56:54 PM
Spiffy.  JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 11:12:14 PM
Your in good company mate I think there's a good few of us 30 something's who use them from time to time :)

Word of advice though mate, I had a cane like that from our health service, and robust its not so keep an eye on it :)

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 11:15:32 PM
Your in good company mate I think there's a good few of us 30 something's who use them from time to time :)

Word of advice though mate, I had a cane like that from our health service, and robust its not so keep an eye on it :)

Thanks Mike.  It doesn't feel like the sturdiest thing in the world for sure, but it'll do for the moment.  That's assuming I don't lose it soon.  I've only had it five hours and already almost left it in a taxi and on a train......  :facepalm:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 11:21:41 PM
JD, I think I have seen some anti-lost alarm on DX, and it shouldn't be too expensive to get.  I sometimes use it when I am travelling, just in case of losing personal belongings.  Maybe it would help?

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 09, 2014, 01:14:15 AM
Yes, women. I have a hard time with those apparently.  :D

I find one of those is generally enough.  I think a collection would be unmanageable, unless one were a sovereign or something.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 03:08:12 PM
Well, I saw the doctor this morning.  Aside from needing an MRI and a CT scan, he said to me, "I hate to tell you this, because people your age don't want to hear it, but you need to start using a cane to help keep weight off the knee if you're in that much pain while walking".  I told him that I was actually about to ask just that question.  Even though it was something I'd already decided was needed, still sucked hearing it officially from the doctor.  :(  Anyway, to start off with, at the office he gave me this:

My insurance paid for it, so I really can't complain.  I'll use it to get used to walking with it, while taking a look around and finding something a bit more "me" to use.  So, that's where this little odyssey is starting.  I'll be sure to update when I get my next "walking assistance device".  I'm not going to call it a cane yet, 35 year-olds don't use canes.  ;)  After 40 however.....  ::)

I've got one just like that. In 2011 the V.A. hospital did an operation on my right foot due to degradation from the old army injury. Took out part of the big metatarsal bone that leads down to the big joint at the base of the big toe, and put in another steel rod/pin. Was on crutches the whole month of April 2011. When I graduated to a cane, even though Ihad my homemade ones, they gave me the black metal foam gripped one. I guess it's standard these days. Ugly as sin, but I was surprised at how comfortable it was. Used it for a month before going back t one of my hornbeams or blackthorns.

Go ahead and use the heck out it to get acclimated to the cane until it becomes part of your life and persona. You're already halfway there.  Oh, by the way, the metal cane has that neat curve in it, and makes for a great block and thrust weapon. While using it, I worked it into my routine for self defense work. The curve is a heck of a impact weapon when it's used to swing up in a punch motion after a block.

Canes forever! :tu:

PS- Using a cane, you may start noticing people holding doors for you, giving you a seat on the bus or metro, making way for you in crowded restaurants. Go with it. We're getting older and you need to start practicing for the days ahead where age and treachery become our valued skills. :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:12:32 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 03:17:18 PM
That looks like it has the glue on sponge handle...ditch it quick. The experience my mother had with it was downright terrible. After a short while, the glue separates from the handle, and when wet, that foam sleeve will rotate on you, etc...making it dangerous to use. Hope yours last longer.

Reply #45 on: August 09, 2014, 08:16:55 PM

I've got one just like that. In 2011 the V.A. hospital did an operation on my right foot due to degradation from the old army injury. Took out part of the big metatarsal bone that leads down to the big joint at the base of the big toe, and put in another steel rod/pin. Was on crutches the whole month of April 2011. When I graduated to a cane, even though Ihad my homemade ones, they gave me the black metal foam gripped one. I guess it's standard these days. Ugly as sin, but I was surprised at how comfortable it was. Used it for a month before going back t one of my hornbeams or blackthorns.

Go ahead and use the heck out it to get acclimated to the cane until it becomes part of your life and persona. You're already halfway there.  Oh, by the way, the metal cane has that neat curve in it, and makes for a great block and thrust weapon. While using it, I worked it into my routine for self defense work. The curve is a heck of a impact weapon when it's used to swing up in a punch motion after a block.

Canes forever! :tu:

PS- Using a cane, you may start noticing people holding doors for you, giving you a seat on the bus or metro, making way for you in crowded restaurants. Go with it. We're getting older and you need to start practicing for the days ahead where age and treachery become our valued skills. :D
That's certainly true. People are very courteous when you've got one :tu)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #46 on: August 09, 2014, 08:54:41 PM
Seems like a good time to brainstorm what MT features a cane could have.  :D 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #47 on: August 09, 2014, 09:30:28 PM
Here's a couple of ideas to start you off JD.  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: August 09, 2014, 11:21:08 PM
If looking for a good "everyday" walking stick/cane/pole/staff, what's good? If in wood what type? Something light, but not flimsy, something rock hard but not to heavy,, but of course nothing expensive? JR

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 10, 2014, 06:44:32 AM
I don't generally carry a walking stick, and fortunately do not need a cane (yet).  However, my brother got a walking stick from http://www.brazos-walking-sticks.com/ and was quite pleased with it.  Please note I am not affiliated with this business in any way.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: August 10, 2014, 05:47:29 PM

:D  I'll work on those skills.  I'm not bad at treachery, but there's always room for improvement.

@Chako - I do plan on replacing it pretty soon.  As something to use to figure this all out though it'll work for the moment.

Yesterday after a full day of work it sure helped getting up the hill back home from the train......

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: August 10, 2014, 06:20:00 PM

:D  I'll work on those skills.  I'm not bad at treachery, but there's always room for improvement.

@Chako - I do plan on replacing it pretty soon.  As something to use to figure this all out though it'll work for the moment.

Yesterday after a full day of work it sure helped getting up the hill back home from the train......
Idk, this generation cares less and still slam the door in your face, but we've taught our kids well, even if they don't say thank you or run there feet over while holding the door, they'll hold it in for later, only bad thing is they take it out on us at home! So if ever up my way our kids will help you out,, JR

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 10, 2014, 07:26:55 PM
If looking for a good "everyday" walking stick/cane/pole/staff, what's good? If in wood what type? Something light, but not flimsy, something rock hard but not to heavy,, but of course nothing expensive? JR

I've had very good luck with Blackthorn from the UK. If you google Lollysmith, they have a good selection of real blackthorn sticks with assorted handle shapes. Both knobs and angle. I've had good luck with American hornbeam. It grows along creeks and low places where there's damp soil. I dig around the root with a garden trowel, and when I find a right looking rootht that would make a nice handle, I use a cheap hatchet to cut it off. Takes a year to age down the basement, and I always leave the bark on, blackthorn style, and stain and seal to taste. Shaping the root to fit the hand is slow, using sandpaper, but it's worth it as you end up with a custom fitted handle to your grip.

Hickory is good, as well as ash. Both are very tough, and when fully cured pretty light weight.

Blackthorn, hornbeam, and ash can take very good sideway impact. That's why blackthorn was a weapon in Ireland, and ash is used for Louisville sluggers in this country.

Remember, the stick is ALWAYS right there in your hand. Would you mess with this guy? :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:32:09 PM by cbl51 »

Reply #53 on: August 10, 2014, 08:44:03 PM
Great post :)

I really must get round to making my own cane someday :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 12:20:11 AM

I've had very good luck with Blackthorn from the UK. If you google Lollysmith, they have a good selection of real blackthorn sticks with assorted handle shapes. Both knobs and angle. I've had good luck with American hornbeam. It grows along creeks and low places where there's damp soil. I dig around the root with a garden trowel, and when I find a right looking rootht that would make a nice handle, I use a cheap hatchet to cut it off. Takes a year to age down the basement, and I always leave the bark on, blackthorn style, and stain and seal to taste. Shaping the root to fit the hand is slow, using sandpaper, but it's worth it as you end up with a custom fitted handle to your grip.

Hickory is good, as well as ash. Both are very tough, and when fully cured pretty light weight.

Blackthorn, hornbeam, and ash can take very good sideway impact. That's why blackthorn was a weapon in Ireland, and ash is used for Louisville sluggers in this country.

Remember, the stick is ALWAYS right there in your hand. Would you mess with this guy? :D
Thanks for all the info, all I've been looking for is just a simple stick, a little taller then norm, and a good grip atop for helping to stand up, and light cause sometimes it's up to a 6mile hike. JR

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 02:57:03 AM
Had my first experience of someone holding a door for me, twice today actually.  :)  I also waved it at my landlord when he was doing some work out back and yelled, "Get off my lawn, you damn kids!"  :D  Got that out of my system........

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #56 on: August 11, 2014, 03:25:19 AM
I don't hold a door for someone with a cane any more than I do for someone without, or should I say I'm no less inclined to hold a door for someone who doesn't have a cane :shrug: .... it's just you have to hold the door a little longer for some folks as they don't shift as fast  :pok: :D

How's things going with the issued cane, Tom? You getting the benefit from it? Is there anything annoying that you'd be wanting to change with your next cane?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: August 11, 2014, 03:32:05 AM
I noticed some positive effects yesterday and today, walking to and from the train and work on Saturday, and today walking into town to do a couple of things.  Keeping some weight off the bad leg definitely helped.  My walk includes a large hill heading home, and normally by the time I get to the top I've actually got to sit down for a few minutes, I'm hurting so bad.  :(  That didn't happen this weekend.  As for what I would change?  :think:  Dunno.  Still getting used to it.  It doesn't feel like the sturdiest thing in the world, a bit rattly.  The aesthetics aren't the best either IMO, it looks too institutional, no life to it.  Like I said, this one will be fine to get used to having to walk decent distances with.  It's not needed around the house or going to the corner store, but walking a couple blocks hurts for sure.  Hopefully this will be a big help.  Time will tell.  :tu:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: August 11, 2014, 06:07:19 AM
One thing I forgot to mention. Google stock canes, and look at the Nasco and other tractor and farm supply places. They sell stock canes for working with cattle and hogs for very low prices. What you will get is a plain wooden cane, that you cut down to hyour length and give it a little sanding and varnish to end up with a very nice looking cane that is made from hickory or ash.

Most tractor and farm supply places have them. You may have to cut a bit off the handle to open up the crook top a bit.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: August 11, 2014, 06:48:48 AM
Would you mess with this guy? :D

The guy alone...maybe.  But that dog looks vicious... :P :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62