Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gas Hopper

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Gas Hopper
on: August 03, 2014, 09:12:53 AM
I scored one of these for the whopping price of $1 at a flea market yesterday.  I hadn't seen one before, and while I don't envision carrying it, I thought it would make a nice addition to the collection.

A little research (http://www.trademarkia.com/gas-hopper-73351322.html, http://www.bullworks.net/virtual/package/package.htm) reveals it to be from the late '70s or '80s.  It was apparently marketed as a 5-in-1 tool, with the five functions being can opener, bottle opener, flat screwdriver, key chain, and gas nozzle holder.  I can see the can opener, bottle opener, and flat screwdriver, but I don't consider "key chain" to be a separate function unto itself, and I'm having trouble visualizing exactly how the gas nozzle holder would work.  In fairness though, I did not start driving until 1998, so I'm assuming whatever flaws in the design of gas nozzles/fuel tank fill ports that would have necessitated a separate gas nozzle holder were fixed by this time.
gashopper1.jpg
* gashopper1.jpg (Filesize: 389.94 KB)
gashopper2.jpg
* gashopper2.jpg (Filesize: 341.21 KB)

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Gas Hopper
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:45:30 PM
It might've been made by the same company that made the "hungry turtle" advertising bottle opener, as it has the same head almost exactly. I gave it to my girlfriend, as it is adorable, but instead of the back half being smaller, mine has a round shell, complete with shell pattern, with four screwdriver ends around the shell portion. I've thus far only seen two examples, one free of advertising, and one with advertising from a paint store about three hours from here.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 07:16:30 PM
could the gas nozzle holder refer to a gas nozzle that isn't the sort you use to put liquid fuel in to your car?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 04:19:46 AM
could the gas nozzle holder refer to a gas nozzle that isn't the sort you use to put liquid fuel in to your car?

Given the photo of the packaging (second link I provided above, at the bottom of the page), I believe it does in fact refer to the gas nozzle you use to put gasoline in your car.

I'm now thinking perhaps the two cutouts on the bottom allowed it to function as a hold-open on a gas nozzle not already equipped with one.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 01:24:37 PM

Given the photo of the packaging (second link I provided above, at the bottom of the page), I believe it does in fact refer to the gas nozzle you use to put gasoline in your car.

I'm now thinking perhaps the two cutouts on the bottom allowed it to function as a hold-open on a gas nozzle not already equipped with one.

+1
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 03:58:41 PM
I remembered this as soon as I saw the name. I think it was before the average gas station had nozzles with the flip thing in the handle so you did not have to stand there breathing the fumes. Could have been EPA mandated(??) Anyway, these switch off automatically when the gas reaches the tip of the nozzle in the tank.

I seem to remember that the device you mention was discontinued because of a greater chance of blocking the handle from tripping off and spilling gas all over.   :ahhh

Nice cheap find and it still does all the other things. Plus you can always mod it!

Maybe others have a better memory than I but that's what bubbled to the top of the grey matter.

00 Offline jackbrouno

Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 04:21:26 PM
The first image looks somewhat like a shark with his jaws open  >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62