Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pry Tools; Pocket Wrench 2, Gerber Shard, Leatherman Croc

Aloha · 53 · 7636

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Here is my experience with these great Pry tools.  I wont get into detail specs at all as that can be found easily.  What I'd like to discuss is how each is a great tool yet each does have their "flaws". 

Gerber Shard, this is a small tool that easily rides along with your car keys and can save you from damaging your keys.  It can also save your knife blade tip should you ever consider prying with it.  There is a phillips driver, and flat head driver(s) with wire stippers, bottle opener, and of course pry function. 

The drivers work, that said sure there are better but when this is along side your keys and you need a driver you have one.  The phillips for me didn't engage that great and I felt with much force it could harm the flanges.  I haven't used the wire stripper or bottle opener but the flat drivers work nicely.  I have been able to turn many screw but flush or recessed ones did present a bit of a hassle.  The pry aspect of this little tool is for me where it shines.

The fact that it is bent at the pry tip is exactly what you want.  This creates leverage and assists prying, the taper on the tip is thin enough so I have been able to fit it in many tight spots.  I wrapped mine in paracord to aid my grip on this little bugger. 

Leatherman Croc, this tool has received a lot of criticism and I can understand why.  I forget all the disparaging words used to describe this tool but I got one anyway.  I have to say this tool has met my needs and has done so very well.  The pry aspect is great with the tapered tip BUT unlike the Shard in certain applications not being bent can be a problem.  There are 2 flat drivers and they have worked good for me.  I haven't used the wrenches so I have nothing to add.  The bottle opener also hasn't seen use nor has the 1/4 in bit driver. 

Pocket Wrench 2, I had been wanting one for a while but at $22 I put it off several times.  I finally saw one for $14 and picked one up.  I was oddly surprised at the size, it always seemed like a large tool.  This tool is thicker than the Croc and as such feels substantial.   I like that it doesnt have a bottle opener.  I haven't used the wrench but the pry tool part is pretty good.  It would be nice if it were thinner and angled like the Shard so it could add leverage and fit more spaces.  I like the ruler on this tool and always thought it was a nice feature even if only used once in a while.  The thickness of the pry tip also means it fits less flat head screws in my usage. 

I like all 3 tools for what they each bring to the table but I carry my Croc predominantly for work and my PW2 on off days.  The Shard however rides daily with my keys because I will not use either a key nor my precious SAK for any pry work.  Like a fixed blade the readiness of the flat driver and phillips is easier than the SAKs.  These are great tools to have if space allows in your daily carry and while I haven't used all the features on the tools I'm glad they are there.         
IMG_4487.jpg
* IMG_4487.jpg (Filesize: 225.55 KB)
IMG_4488.jpg
* IMG_4488.jpg (Filesize: 264.78 KB)
IMG_4489.jpg
* IMG_4489.jpg (Filesize: 203.03 KB)
IMG_4490.JPG
* IMG_4490.JPG (Filesize: 225.17 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Pry Tools; Pocket Wrench 2, Gerber Shard, Leatherman Croc
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 09:15:29 PM
Nice detailed over view thanks :tu:

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 09:29:33 PM
I don't own a Shard but played with one, it is fingugly and it has a weird shape, I pass.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 09:35:50 PM
I don't own a Shard but played with one, it is fingugly and it has a weird shape, I pass.

I like the looks Kampfer, especially when wrapped with paracord.  It will stab you in the arse ( ask me how I know ) if you put in on your key then in your back pocket.  The bend in the tool really aids in prying and it really is a helpful little sucker.  I was drawn to it when I saw the MTo branded one and also that MTo IIRC had an impact in the tool making it to market ( I hope I'm not wrong on this  ??? ).  Be cool in different colors IMO. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:42:26 PM

It will stab you in the arse
I don't like being poke in my arse, and I do mean it.
 :P

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 09:48:40 PM
Nice comparison, I have been thinking about getting a opmt.  Have you used a nite ize doohicky at all, I am wondering how it compares to these ones.
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 09:52:18 PM
Nice comparison, I have been thinking about getting a opmt.  Have you used a nite ize doohicky at all, I am wondering how it compares to these ones.
It is a fine tool for its size and price.
As a OPMT wrench, nothing yet can not beat the PWII.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:12:28 PM by Kampfer »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 10:08:52 PM

I haven't, I just got a Brewzer from Texas Tool Crafter that will see some keychain time but I just don't need the bottle opener so we'll see.  What I like is having a OPMT for a quick task and back it goes, like a fixed blade vs a folder.       
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 11:51:27 PM
Big fan of the Pocket Wrench .

Good price point , but it can get ya outta lots of jams .

Chris

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 12:23:20 AM
Yeah. I like the comparison but I note you're yet to use the PW2 as a wrench and when you do, I don't think you'll look back. For its size it is just a beast; get those teeth engaged on a nut and that thing is turning.

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 03:30:14 AM

I haven't, I just got a Brewzer from Texas Tool Crafter that will see some keychain time but I just don't need the bottle opener so we'll see.  What I like is having a OPMT for a quick task and back it goes, like a fixed blade vs a folder.     

I guess that the brewzer is kinda the closest in price and similar in function to the doohicky, and probably easier to find in my area.   I was looking at it more for the prying aspect than for its abilities as a wrench. I only saw the doohicky on vacation and I didn't pull the trigger on it, kinda having non-buyers remorse.
It ain't stupid.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 03:38:37 AM

I guess that the brewzer is kinda the closest in price and similar in function to the doohicky, and probably easier to find in my area.   I was looking at it more for the prying aspect than for its abilities as a wrench. I only saw the doohicky on vacation and I didn't pull the trigger on it, kinda having non-buyers remorse.

Did you see the tools on the Leatheman website called By The Numbers?

https://www.leatherman.com/s/leatherman/pockettools

I'm not entirely sure if they would serve your needs.
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 04:07:18 AM
Don't like mini pry tools, why? Without length their is no leverage. Without leverage there is no torque. Without torque your not prying things open.

I have a mini pry bar about 5 inches in length and that's about as small as I'd go. With it I'm able to pop open locked interior doors. Those tools wouldn't be able to attempt that task.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 04:30:49 AM
Nice write up.  I keep looking at the PW2 and then holding off as well.  One day I'll take the plunge.  The Shard is a surprisingly handy little thing to have around.  Like you said it takes up almost no space on your keys, but does its job surprisingly well.  The Phillips works a lot better than you'd think.  Mine used to get a lot of carry time, but lately it's been assigned to times when I'm only going to have my keychain on me without any other tools.  Then it gets set up with an Executive, a P51 can opener, and a Craftsman 4-way driver.  Actually a very versatile minimalist setup.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 04:38:53 AM
Don't like mini pry tools, why? Without length their is no leverage. Without leverage there is no torque. Without torque your not prying things open.

I have a mini pry bar about 5 inches in length and that's about as small as I'd go. With it I'm able to pop open locked interior doors. Those tools wouldn't be able to attempt that task.

I've used my PWII to pop open a car trunk that wasn't locked, but frozen shut.  So, while it obviously doesn't generate the torque a longer tool would (given the same amount of force applied), it does have its uses.  And riding unobtrusively in my wallet until it is needed is a big advantage, which a 5" or longer tool wouldn't have.

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 04:46:52 AM

Did you see the tools on the Leatheman website called By The Numbers?

https://www.leatherman.com/s/leatherman/pockettools

I'm not entirely sure if they would serve your needs.

I'm sure there's one in there that fits the bill,  #2 looks closest I think. Or maybe the whole line  :drool:  Now to find somewhere close to my home that actually has these in stock I like to handle before I buy.
It ain't stupid.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 06:35:40 AM

You are correct in total however the one missing element from this is convenience of carry.  I have primary tools and primary tools are always gonna be superior to MTs, however not when those primary tools cannot be conveniently carried. 

Here is a scenario that plays over and over again........  You have your MT and SAK on you because they are convenient to carry so when the time comes you can get by or better yet save the day.  Same with the pry bars, they are small enough to carry yet can do a bunch more than the flat drivers on our MT and SAKs. 

If we take to comparing "real" tools to our convenient tools then the conversation is generally over.  I agree with you tool vs tool but not for the reasons most carry these tools.  I can attest to these tools getting me thru my work day, day in and day out and I can also attest to these tools prying things open.     
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:37:42 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 04:05:04 PM
That comparison photo is a big help in understand this. I have seen all three mentioned here but did not realize that the Shard was smaller.

I got a LM#4 and have it on the keychain. With the bits it means I'll have "something" even if I forget my usual SAK or Squirt.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 04:18:40 PM
That comparison photo is a big help in understand this. I have seen all three mentioned here but did not realize that the Shard was smaller.

I got a LM#4 and have it on the keychain. With the bits it means I'll have "something" even if I forget my usual SAK or Squirt.

Good to hear the photos help.  These and any of these OPMT aren't for everyone and some won't find them worth the money, I know I did.  I got the shard really not knowing exactly what size it was, spec are good but comparison photos for me are also a big help.  I also got the Shard because of its price point ( less that $7) and because of the MTo connection.

I have found so many uses for this and the others even beyond their intended purpose.  I used the Shard to scrape out old teflon tape rather than using my blade or flathead.   
IMG_3066.jpg
* IMG_3066.jpg (Filesize: 260.76 KB)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:20:11 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 08:24:41 PM
007, you need to add these into comparison.

http://www.countycomm.com/barfamily.html

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 01:07:33 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

I will have to pick up a couple of those at some point.  I'm not a heavy pry user however there are those times when a little more than the flat head on our MT or SAK is needed.  If it fits in my LM sheath or my niteize case then all the better.  I dont tend to carry a larger tool bag on me otherwise I'd just carry it instead of my little work horse sheath. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 03:49:38 AM
Look forward to that :tu:

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 02:08:15 AM
Ok I see your point.
I wouldn't call my little 5" pry bar a real tool. It's this little tiny thing from a auto parts store. Says Titan on it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 05:35:22 AM
Ok I see your point.
I wouldn't call my little 5" pry bar a real tool. It's this little tiny thing from a auto parts store. Says Titan on it.

Heck I call the safety pins and paperclips I carry tools, albeit little but certainly worth their weight.  Funny enough just the other day I used my paper clip I carry to help my daughter push fabric thru a bead.

Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 10:33:48 PM
I'm still waiting for my PW2 to arrive. this review made my purchase appear like a wide move!
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 10:45:52 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

I agree with Kampfer on this one - please, add these. Or do a seperate comparison of, say, the Pico Widgy vs. the Shard. Of course the Shard is gonna have a more versatile "tool load", but which is a better pry-tool? Been considering getting the Pico, Shard, PWII and a few of LM's OPMTs, but never been able to justify the cost, when I don't know how efficient they could be.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 05:55:33 PM
Do any of you cats actually EDC (and I mean literally) a Pocketwrench II?  I have one of the cheapy knock-offs on the way, and will likely buy the real thing when the feeling hits me.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 07:09:30 PM
Do any of you cats actually EDC (and I mean literally) a Pocketwrench II?

Yes, I carry one in my wallet every day.  Sometimes I even forget it is in there... :-[

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 07:49:36 PM
Everyday!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 07:44:06 AM
@freaver and Kampfer

I will pick up a couple of the pry bars pictured for testing.  The seem quite nice and should come in handy. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD