Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ventura 500L Flashlight.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Ventura 500L Flashlight.
on: August 04, 2014, 02:00:34 AM
I was at Walmart and came across this nice, and cheap flashlight that stated it threw 500 lumens. For 31 Canadian dollars, I couldn't resist. I wasn't expecting much, but am quite pleased with the build and the light it throws.

I did a quick online research and found that the Ventura is also sold under Ozark Trails, both appear to be Walmart store branded merchandise. No clue who actually makes this other than it is made in China. The package only states imported by Walmart.

With that said, it is a nice flashlight. Here are some stats on the package for you...

- 500 lumens
- High/low settings.
- Aircraft grade aluminium construction.
- 7 hours 30 minutes run time at 500 lumens. Throw distance is 234m.
- 30 hours run time at 100 lumens. Throw distance is 102m.
- FL 1 standard 1m impact drop.
- Powered by 6 AA cells.
- weight 11.5 oz dry, 16.6 oz with batteries/
- Length is 9.6".
- Body diameter is 1.4".
- Bezel diameter is 2.1".

So for 31 dollars, I wasn't expecting much at all, but am pleasantly surprised. This flashlight throws a nice wide beam that would be great at illuminating a good stretch of a yard, etc. It is not a spot light, and will not throw a beam great distances. What it does is illuminate a wide area. For my needs, this is good. It saves me from having to wave the flashlight around to illuminate an area.

Onto the construction. This is a nice feeling flashlight with its all aluminium construction. The handle has 6 protruding channels that give you a good grip preventing hand rotation. However, because of the grip pattern, it won't prevent your hand from sliding up or down the grip. What really bothered me the most about its design is it is a roller. There are no flat sides to prevent this flashlight from rolling around on you. I usually stand the flashlight up on a table...but it would have been nice for them to have flattened  out a side or something, because you can't always stand the flashlight up.

The flashlight has a green rubber O ring to prevent moisture from entering the light. The tail cap is the only way into the flashlight. Unlike a few flashlights with removable cell cages, this one offers only two rails for 3 AA cells each. Battery directions are not only printed on the inside of the rails, but are also etched on the exterior of the handle towards the end cap. The batteries are a nice lose fit meaning you shouldn't have any problems with stuck batteries. There is also a rubber covered button. Press once to get the high setting, press it a second to get the low setting, press it a third time to turn the unit off. Nice and simple. I like that.

I am aware that I am not a book of knowledge about flashlights. However, I did take these two photos of the light pattern. The first is at full power, the second at lower power. What I did was hold the flashlight towards the ceiling at an angle and took a photo with my other hand. Nothing scientific here. I am just showing you the light pattern. At greater distance, the center hot spot dissipates, but is still visible 30 feet down range, especially at high setting. Low setting, you get a more uniform light from side to side.

I like this flashlight. I am sure it won't stack up to better more expensive lights. However, for the price, it does throw a lot of light. It also appears to have decent run times on 6 AA cells...I think. And I can't keep thinking that this is a good deal for the money. For what I am going to use this for, it will do the job nicely. I can easily recommend this flashlight.

Pros:
- Price. 31 dollars is not bad for something that feels this good in the hand. It is bright also.
- Use of AA cells. At least these are everywhere to be found.
- Nice wide beam good for lighting up a nice section of a yard, etc..

Cons:
- Will roll away on you if you lay it down.
- Grip only secure from side to side motion. Does not prevent your hand from sliding up or down. Nitpicking here I believe.
- Not something you will want to EDC
- Due to the wide beam, it won't throw as far as one designed as a spot light.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Ventura 500L Flashlight.
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 11:52:08 AM
Good looking light Dan. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%