Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vostok 30 days mechanical watch challenge

Grathr · 98 · 6740

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Vostok 30 days mechanical watch challenge
Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 07:16:51 AM
Those amphibians are looking more and more tempting :twak:

Morning update:
The watch was still running this morning. One wind up a day seems to be enough.
Accuracy: Its now 24 sec behind. I think I will reset it later today.

I have been testing the luminous dials during the night, and I am a bit disapointed. It takes light easily, but does not hold it long. I must do a proper comparison to a couple of other watches in a controlled enviroment later.

Does the Amphibians luminous dials work well?

What I do like about it so far:
I like the way it looks and the size is perfect.
I love that it is so silent  and way the smooth way it runs.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 04:10:49 PM
Those amphibians are looking more and more tempting :twak:

They are unique looking. Since the rice is around the $70 mark, I'd also look into Invictica divers. A forum member, jekostas, mentioned the Invicta automatic pro in another thread. It might be worth a look.

Morning update:
The watch was still running this morning. One wind up a day seems to be enough.
Accuracy: Its now 24 sec behind. I think I will reset it later today.

I've read it takes a few months for a new mechanical watch to settle in, so you might experience some fluctuations in timekeeping during that time.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 04:18:43 PM by shamus »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 06:00:08 PM
Did a bit more reading and measuring, the amphibians are actually quite small (but tall). only 40mm wide and the round case has 18mm lug. I'm going with the square case with 22mm lug, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121123685052?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I would never buy an invicta, won't touch watch from a fashion brand.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 08:01:49 PM

Did a bit more reading and measuring, the amphibians are actually quite small (but tall). only 40mm wide and the round case has 18mm lug. I'm going with the square case with 22mm lug, http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121123685052?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I would never buy an invicta, won't touch watch from a fashion brand.

Looking forward to reading what you think of it.

Right now, what annoys me most with the kommanderskie is the poorly iluminated dials. It does not glow long at all. I vent to the cinema today, and after sitting in the theatre for 15 min with dimmed lights, I could not se the luminous markings at all when the light went out. And I have been wearing a t-shirt all day, so it has gotten a lot of exposure to light.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 08:27:20 PM
Will do once I get it.

The lume issue is quite common with lower priced watches, my first good watch was a Festina from 16 or 17 years ago, the lume is so smurfty it lasts 30 minutes tops. Wanted an tritium watch because of it, but once I have watch with good lume that easily last all night long I no longer think tritium is necessary.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 10:34:15 PM
I guess I have been spoiled by my wenger classic field watch, that holds the light for hours.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #36 on: August 10, 2014, 02:29:03 AM
Did a bit more reading and measuring, the amphibians are actually quite small (but tall). only 40mm wide and the round case has 18mm lug. I'm going with the square case with 22mm lug

38-40mm and 18mm straps is my ideal watch size. Pre- 90s this was the standard.

Grathr, knd of bummed for you now that you got the komm' instead of the amph'. Stainless steel case and auto-wind with optional manual wind .

I wonder how similar the watch hand mount is to seiko. They have a huge aftermarket support and you may be able to self-upgrade the luminous hands cheaply
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #37 on: August 10, 2014, 02:59:52 AM
That's a nice watch. Love mechanical watches. They are my favorite.
Can you take the back off and adjust it? The fact that it is losing 12 seconds every day is a good sign. Means it is not inconsistent. You should be able to speed it up a tad.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #38 on: August 10, 2014, 07:56:06 AM
The back can be taken off, but I dont feel competent enough to start messing with the mechanism or the watch hands.

I might try it later though. :salute:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #39 on: August 10, 2014, 01:31:57 PM
I reset the watch today. Resetting it once every three days or so wont be a big issue for me.
I also decided to test the lume of the Komanedrskie against some of my other watches.
The contestants where a cheap Q&Q all plastic watch wich I bougt for $8 on spain 4years ago, a Casio EFR 526 and a Wenger Classic Field Watch.
I let them all lay outside facing the sun for 5mins, before putting them in a storage room with no windows.

Right away: all where visible, But the vostok was barely readable.

7min: Q&Q and Vostok unreadable. I could find the Q&Q because of the faint glow of the digits, but hands where invisible.  The Vostok I could not find at all. The Casio and wenger where fully readable and going strong.

17min: wenger best casio second,both readable and going strong. 

After that I stopped the test.
If I had stayed in the room the whole time letting my night vision improve, they would probably remain visible longer, but the result would probably be the same.
This means that the Komanderskie is not really suitable for me during autoumn, winter and spring :(

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #40 on: August 10, 2014, 08:41:21 PM

38-40mm and 18mm straps is my ideal watch size. Pre- 90s this was the standard.

Yeah they've grown in the past few years. I still have the little timex I bought in highschool, 33mm, look weird now.

My wrist aren't thick, but luckily I'm fat enough to wear bigger watches without looking out of place.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: August 10, 2014, 10:20:21 PM
 :popcorn:

I'll be watching this(sic :facepalm:) with great interest!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 10, 2014, 11:16:57 PM
Vostok make great watches.  The Amphibian is awesome, and is a *really* interesting watch from a design standpoint

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #43 on: August 11, 2014, 01:31:05 AM
Oh Grathr when you hand wound yours, after it's fully wound does the mainspring slip or just stop going any further?

no Offline Grathr

Reply #44 on: August 11, 2014, 06:59:00 AM

Oh Grathr when you hand wound yours, after it's fully wound does the mainspring slip or just stop going any further?

It stops.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 11, 2014, 07:40:27 AM
This is an exceptionally thorough look at the design methodology behind the Vostok Amphibia watch.  If you like mechanical or diving watches (or some insane combination of the two) you'll probably find it interesting:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-amphibia-analysis-design-methodology-491757.html

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #46 on: August 11, 2014, 09:17:26 AM
This is an exceptionally thorough look at the design methodology behind the Vostok Amphibia watch.  If you like mechanical or diving watches (or some insane combination of the two) you'll probably find it interesting:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f54/vostok-amphibia-analysis-design-methodology-491757.html

This thread had got me looking into Amphibia's and i'd only just read that article yesterday, particularly liked the conclusion
Many terms has been used to describe Russian design and engineering: "crude but effective" is most often heard. It is pointless to question the effectiveness of the Amphibia design; in fact it is far more advanced than anything else. Using a clear vision to see the actual requirements, and then arriving at a most effective solution, is anything but crude; in fact it is the art of the designer at its highest order. By comparison, no matter how finely a one-piece caseback is made and decorated, it is still no more than a glorified jam jar lid. To be realistic, it is better to consider the Amphibia design as an example of design, rather than a "Russian" design, and judge its merits as such.

particulary referring to the single piece caseback as glorified jam jar lids  :rofl:
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

no Offline Grathr

Reply #47 on: August 11, 2014, 09:33:16 AM

Thank you!
That actually explains a lot of why it looks the way it looks. The disign is pure genius by the way.
And :twak:
Now I have to get one!

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #48 on: August 11, 2014, 11:34:58 AM

Thank you!
That actually explains a lot of why it looks the way it looks. The disign is pure genius by the way.
Now I have to get one!

Mine is already in the mail  :dwts: :surrender:
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: August 11, 2014, 01:53:06 PM
I will have to see if they make a pocket version.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 04:05:49 PM

Thank you!
Now I have to get one!
It's a good design no doubt, but from what I read the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Many say it will be a good watch, if yours came waterproof.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 07:39:11 PM
Wrissmurfches!  :rant: wrissmurfches!  :rant:  wrissmurfches!  :twak:

You smurf  :P

Take your pick:
Smurfs_Watches_Have_A_Smurfin_Day.jpg
* Smurfs_Watches_Have_A_Smurfin_Day.jpg (Filesize: 25.82 KB)
smurfs_named_set.jpg
* smurfs_named_set.jpg (Filesize: 219.34 KB)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #52 on: August 12, 2014, 02:38:16 AM
Mine shipped. Consider both Russian and Canada post offices are known for their relaxed work speed, I'm not holding my breath for it.

According to many the included bracelet is made of old soda cans and beer caps, so I'm wondering if I should get a new one preemptively, or wait and see.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:48:11 AM by jzmtl »

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: August 12, 2014, 04:34:45 AM
Mine shipped. Consider both Russian and Canada post offices are known for their relaxed work speed, I'm not holding my breath for it.

According to many the included bracelet is made of old soda cans and beer caps, so I'm wondering if I should get a new one preemptively, or wait and see.

You may as well start looking now.  The straps are really, really awful.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 05:52:24 AM
I guess I'll have to wait to see it before deciding what looks good with it. Luckily it shares lug size with my Momentum deep 6 so I have a few spare zulu and rubber.

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 07:53:44 AM
Good to see Vostoks getting a mention around these parts. I've owned two Amphibians- my current one and the one given to my Dad a few months ago.

For the price they are unbeatable- a 'proper' 200m water resistant dive watch with a movement that is rated to last 10 years without a service. Probably the only thing that I really change about them when I get one is the bracelet- the stock one is a bit cheap and nasty so I usually replace it with a nato/zulu strap.

From my own experience, this is one of the best places to order one from:
http://chistopolcity.com/

Here's a pic of my current one:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #56 on: August 13, 2014, 09:22:31 PM
Nice looking watch!

Quick update:
Having to wind it up every morning has become much less hassle than I thought it would be. I actually look forward to it. Its one of those : "I have only been awake for 2 minutes and have already accomplished something" things. :)

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #57 on: August 14, 2014, 12:50:17 AM
Nice looking watch!

Quick update:
Having to wind it up every morning has become much less hassle than I thought it would be. I actually look forward to it. Its one of those : "I have only been awake for 2 minutes and have already accomplished something" things. :)

I think every object that makes you know it and care for it is great, is like you have a relation with it and you love it twice as much.

How many winds are you giving each day? im about to buy a manual wind again and never had a clue and was always afraid of giving it too much.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: August 14, 2014, 12:55:06 AM
You wind til it won't wind anymore. There will be a sudden stop.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: August 14, 2014, 12:58:25 AM
Nice looking watch!

Quick update:
This is one of the things I love about mechanical watches. It make you stop and enjoy the watch more and takes your mind away from the world, even if it is just for a minute.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56