Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

FIBA World Cup 2014

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
FIBA World Cup 2014
on: August 10, 2014, 09:31:46 PM
FIFA 2014 is over, long live FIBA 2014!

Now, that's something our US friends enjoy, together with handegg and that peculiar cricket knock off. We might loose the Brits though. Roughly the same nations are the strongest, with some differences (USA, Puerto Rico, Israel are strong players). Further for me this tournament is more interesting since Greece is among the strong players the last 25 years, although now we are in a transition phase with most players that won the Euro 2005 and played in the final of 2006 World Cup not playing any more.
Basketball games are much more spectacular IMHO and there's thrill up to the last second usually. So,  which of you are going to view the games?
Croatia plays in the same group with Greece Enki.
I favor my country ofcourse but I always liked Yugoslavia, Italy and Argentina also.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Re: FIBA World Cup 2014
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:22:46 PM
Is it too early or basketball is less popular here.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:49:49 PM
I'd say too early. It's about 3 weeks away. I haven't been following basketball for years now. Our local league got destroyed by poor leadership, finances and debts and one of, if not the greatest Croatian basketball club (Cibona) is very near, maybe a few weeks of closing its gates for ever. :cry:

Actually I didn't even know the World cup was starting before this thread. I see there is a prep tournament now. :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:04:23 PM
I follow basketball on the contrary, since the team I support is Panathinaikos and it doesn't stop harvesting trophies. But I like the game nevertheless for the reasons I said. No 0-0 and 1-0 here. No holding your knee for 5 minutes. No passing the ball to the goalkeeper. No exclusion of the former communist countries. CCCP and Yugoslavia didn't have referees against them and could win the cup if they were good enough, and indeed the were.
Pity about Cibona Zagreb. And Croatian basketball, who gave Petrovic, Kukoc and Radza in the world. They beat Greece three times in a row for a bronze medal, 1992 Olympics, 1993 Eurobasket and 1994 World Cup, and that after Mozart had died. Unforgettable team.

hr Offline styx

Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:50:35 PM
the odd thing is that games still get sold out but mostly for the regional league. i know last year there was a mess with the Cibona tickets

another thing is coverage. not a lot of basketball, waterpolo or handball on the major TV stations here
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 08:52:09 PM by styx »
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:37:30 PM
Is it too early or basketball is less popular here.

basketball junkies unite! :D

I'll definitely be watching the games. there has been plenty of drama surrounding the selection of the US team this year... injuries, players deciding not to play for various reasons, what gets said to the media vs. what actually happens as far as roster selections go... it's been interesting to watch, and they still have 4 more cuts to make to get down to the final 12 players.

I think the US should be the favorites to win this year, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Spain wins it all. I'll also be rooting for the French and Canadian teams to do well. :)

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 02:42:39 PM
And it started :ahhh

First game over, we barely won. :facepalm:

Don't see Croatia standing a chance against Argentina tomorrow.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 08:44:39 AM
we barely won too. :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 01:30:37 PM
we barely won too. :D
Yeah, barely. :P

No surprises yesterday, except Brazil beating France (at least for me :shrug: )

And Croatia - Argentina begins :ahhh

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 03:20:27 PM
:woohoo: :nanadance:

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 03:56:55 PM
Basketball is my favorite sport.  To me it is the most fun to watch, and I loved playing it in high school.

If I can help, let me know 

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 07:26:37 PM
:woohoo: :nanadance:
No way to win, huh?
Well, this phase is just to warm up. It seems Senegal and Phillipines will be the last in the group and the knock outs will be among the strongest teams.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 04:11:00 PM
It seems you should only play with strong opponents Enki.
Senegal might pass and Puerto Rico has challenging games ahead.
Now, I always fear Puerto Rico, although we have 8 wins in 9 games against them.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 10:46:03 PM
So long, so good.
And now the two of our teams Enki. I'm sure you'll give it all and it will be a strong match.
And I see Serbia might come next.
In Mundobasket I prefer to see the Greek team playing against American opponents since I've seen a lot of games against Mediterranean teams in Eurobaskets. US protectorates, Puerto  Rico and Phillipines were good but, Argentina, Brazil and (ofcourse) US of A thrill me.
BTW, most basketball countries of the old world are around Mediterranean. Spain, France, Italy, Croatia, Serbia, Greece, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, and even Ukraine and Russia are at Mediterranean waters (black sea). Great football nations of Portugal, England, Scotland, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Skandinavia and Polland have little interest or success. Exceptions are Lithuania and in the past Chechoslovakia, Latvia etc (so another centre is the former CCCP countries and allies, but not all of them). Germany had good days (the Novitski phenomenon mainly) but there is no comparison with its glorious football culture. I wonder why. Traditionally the northen people are considered of taller nature and basketball as an indoor sport has an advantage for the cold countries over football. I wonder why it is so.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 11:13:30 PM
It seems you should only play with strong opponents Enki.
Senegal might pass and Puerto Rico has challenging games ahead.
Now, I always fear Puerto Rico, although we have 8 wins in 9 games against them.

I didn't get to see the game today, started at 12,30. I only saw the final score after the game was over and did an rolleyes. ::) Wasn't surprised at all. All of our national teams, in any sport, be it basketball, football, handball, water polo, ... suffer from the same problem. We're strong and powerful against the strong teams (heck, we haven't lost to freaking multiple world champions Italy (football) in decades, 3 wins and 3 draws in official matches and have an even score against Germany - 2W, 2L, 1D), but frequently, way too frequently, loose to much weaker ones. Underestimating opponents is our trademark one could say. :facepalm:

So long, so good.
And now the two of our teams Enki. I'm sure you'll give it all and it will be a strong match.

:cheers:

That will be an interesting one for sure. I'd say both teams are at about the same level. We won the last match by 2 but that was a friendly and doesn't mean a thing. Most of the recent matches were close though.

...Traditionally the northen people are considered of taller nature and basketball as an indoor sport has an advantage for the cold countries over football. I wonder why it is so.

But as a rule kids start playing in the streets, school playgrounds, outside mainly. And warm climate, longer summers, ... gets kids more time to get better. And in the last years, basketball, primarily European, has also moved away from fights under the basket and players seem to prefer the 6,25m line. ;) Very few teams even play with a traditional post and even the very tall players are often good shooters. I think I saw maybe one or two dunks this championship, but lots three pointers so 2+ meter height isn't that important anymore I think. :think:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 11:17:18 PM by enki_ck »

hr Offline styx

Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 01:45:39 PM
I think it's our ego. If we could play only great teams there would be no stopping us

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 02:34:57 AM
...Traditionally the northen people are considered of taller nature and basketball as an indoor sport has an advantage for the cold countries over football. I wonder why it is so.

But as a rule kids start playing in the streets, school playgrounds, outside mainly. And warm climate, longer summers, ... gets kids more time to get better. And in the last years, basketball, primarily European, has also moved away from fights under the basket and players seem to prefer the 6,25m line. ;) Very few teams even play with a traditional post and even the very tall players are often good shooters. I think I saw maybe one or two dunks this championship, but lots three pointers so 2+ meter height isn't that important anymore I think. :think:

sadly, that seems to be the case over here too. :-\ kids these days just want to shoot threes all day long; very few of them have any clue how to play in the low post. the midrange game has all but disappeared as well.

I sometimes play pickup ball at the park near my house, and there are usually some teenagers there who join in the game, thinking they're pretty hot stuff... until one of us "old guys" posts them up and they have no clue how to defend it. :D

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 02:26:08 PM
well Croatia can go forward if they don't mess up the game vs Greece

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 11:01:41 PM
well Croatia can go forward if they don't mess up the game vs Greece
:facepalm:

One more game.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 12:19:39 AM
Does this mean that we have a weak team? :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 12:48:48 AM
:P

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 10:16:49 AM
It doesn't really matter, you'll pass. What matters is avoiding Spain in the knock outs and US in the final. All the other teams in the 16 will be roughly equal.
In 2006 we won US in the semifinals and Spain torn us into pieces in the final.

hr Offline styx

Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 04:42:26 PM
I haven't seen a single game yet, but I hope the refs aren't playing a huge part in the scores because that would ruin the knock out stage

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 11:52:24 PM

It seems we both had a good day today, kkokkolis. :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 12:03:51 AM
5/5 was nice. Now it is Serbia in our way, I preferred Brasil.
I find it amazing that three countries of the former Yugoslavia are among the top 16 in the world. That proves that basketball is not dead up there. Good luck with France.
Trully basketball is an awesome sport. You might be 20 points ahead and the other team is still able to make a come back. But then, you are able to come back too!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 12:20:04 AM
I hate to be negative (maybe), but I hate basketball.  :dwts:

It's a bunch of overgrown babies who cry over getting slapped on the wrist. Play a real sport.  :whistle:

Let the onslaught of hate towards the clown begin.  :D

I'm the milk man!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 12:29:27 AM
Yes, like one of those manly sports you play with LOTS of padding. :P

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 12:38:58 AM
Yes, like one of those manly sports you play with LOTS of padding. :P

That's football.  ;)
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 12:41:28 AM
I don't remember who called it handegg but I like it a lot. Adopted for life.

hr Offline styx

Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 05:48:47 PM
you'd be surprised but the hits are harder in American football vs rugby, although they are somewhat fewer per person. in the end math you take about the same amount in either of those 2 sports during an average game

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%