Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fleece Liners?

Offline TCC256

Fleece Liners?
on: August 11, 2014, 07:29:24 PM
I was shopping at a local discount store today, something similar to Big Lots, which offers things at clearance prices. They had this sleeping bag liner for $12.99, which is quite a deal compared to online sources.

Kelty Ridgeway

Obviously it seems like a good deal, but has anyone ever used one? I'm thinking I could use it to lower the temp rating on my Kelty Cosmic 20.

What do you guys think? Obviously I'll be saving a lot of money, but is it something that will really help with lower temps?

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Fleece Liners?
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:46:39 PM
If you have a roomy sleeping bag it should improve its insulation. If it is already cramped it will probably make it worse, as it will squish the fibers of the sleeping bag from the inside. 
In my experience it is much more effective to add a layer on the outside the bag, but thats usually much more expensive.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 04:05:46 AM
It will make things a little bit warmer but I mainly used mine as summer sleeping bag.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 05:06:35 AM
They help. I think the biggest thing they offer is that they are like a sheet to put in the sleeping bag, easier to wash the you-grunge off of it. I sprang for a silk one from Campmor years ago- lighter and smaller than cotton, and the manufacture claims it adds about 10 degrees. Not sure I'd say that, but does help a little. If I had a hundred kicking around, I might buy the merino wool version, but until then, I'll use my silk with a wool blanket as a liner.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 12:34:07 PM
I also have a silk liner for washability, it does seem to make things a little warmer as well though.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 03:08:09 PM
I got one like that. Great for summer camping. Around here anyway. But they don't like camping fires. The smallest of embers will put a whole right threw it. I have found out, paired with a wool blanket, makes for a warm bed in colder temps.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:57:44 AM
I tried a light fleece for a while and it was OK.  As others have said it makes keeping your bag clean easier, but it definitely adds a bit of warmth.  That Kelty one looks warm, but I say if you are carrying it far it might prove to be a little bulky.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%