Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a new watch

Offline Namsob77

Looking for a new watch
on: August 12, 2014, 08:08:19 PM
Ok, I never thought I'd be into wearing watches again. It seemed all I needed anymore was my phone to check the time. But this summer I got an exceptional deal on a Casio Pathfinder PAG-240 and always having loved the look of the G's and PF series, it's on my wrist all the time.

Except for.....and here is the need for another watch, this place is addictive from knives to multitools now watches!! lol

So had a wedding last Saturday and was no way wearing a plastic sport watch with a suit or blazer, not here to debate that.

So now I've been looking at the following thus far, Invicta 8926 OB, Invicta 8932, Seiko SKx007, and the www .amazon. com/Casio-Edifice-Chronograph-World-EQS500DB-1A1/dp/B003URWNQE I posted a link to that cause it's probably the least familiar here.

I definitely want to go for Stainless Steel bracelet. I love having a solar or "non battery" changing watch. So I have read many reviews and thus far still undecided, it seems as far as the Invictas go I am concerned about quality. This watch is mainly for dress up, which isn't that often, unless I end up really liking with casual wear, then it could get as much use as the Pathfinder. I have read people say the Seiko is ten times the watch of the Invictas at just a little over double the cost. Don't know much about the Casio Edifice EQS500DB-1A1, except is is solar and looks to be dressy and sporty.....

So my dilemma is do I just spend $50 get the Invicta 8932 have the look I want for dress and just deal with the battery change every so many years. Get the 8962OB pay a few dollars more I think it is $75 on Amazon and have the cool sweeping hand and just not worry if I don't find myself wearing it often and reset the watch when I occasionally wear it. Or to I go for the Seiko cause it's so much better and I just start wearing it often. The other thing is do automatics really require "maintenance" every so many years? If so and at way more than the cost of a battery, do I just get the 8932 or once again go for with the Casio?

Hope this all makes sense, all opinions and even other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Joe

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Looking for a new watch
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:55:00 PM
For a dress watch, I really like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK809-Automatic-Watch-Canvas/dp/B002SSUQFG/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1407873204&sr=1-1&keywords=seiko+5

Seiko, but at 60 dollars not a bad price, it's automatic, and nice, light and slim. Only thing I find slightly annoying is, being automatic, if you don't wear it for a day or two, you'll have to re-set it.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 10:35:22 PM
I got that exact same watch as a Christmas present (from me  ;) ), and I love it.  :tu: 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Offline Namsob77

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:36:42 PM
For a dress watch, I really like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK809-Automatic-Watch-Canvas/dp/B002SSUQFG/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1407873204&sr=1-1&keywords=seiko+5

Seiko, but at 60 dollars not a bad price, it's automatic, and nice, light and slim. Only thing I find slightly annoying is, being automatic, if you don't wear it for a day or two, you'll have to re-set it.

Thanks for post, for dress I really don't want a canvas strap.  But I have checked out the Seiko 5's before, really nice watches!

Offline Namsob77

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:39:55 PM
I got that exact same watch as a Christmas present (from me  ;) ), and I love it.  :tu:

The PAG 240?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:43:51 PM

The PAG 240?

No sorry, the Seiko bmot posted.  I forgot to out a few ^^ in there......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 11:05:34 PM
I have that Seiko too.

I originally got it with a metal strap

and switched it to nylon nato the same day. Never tried the metal strap actually. :shrug:

Currently it's on a leather nato strap. :tu:

It ran fine for a few months, then started speeding about a minute a day, probably due to a fall or bump. I read on wus that hanging it crown down will correct this and after a few tries it did. :tu:

Offline Namsob77

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:31:44 PM
I do like the Seiko 5 and actually considered it with a canvas strap for casual wear, but I'm going to just use the Pathfinder for that right now.  As a "dress" watch I guess I want something with a "bit more" to the watch, not blingy in any way, but I do like the "dive watch" and "aviation type" with a metal bracelet for me says dressy but still kinda sporty and cool.  Hope that make sense.

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 01:34:37 AM
The Seiko SKx007 is the best choice of the ones you originally mentioned, if you do decide to get another watch. The Invictas are meant to be okay too, as long as you know what you are buying (basically a cheap Rolex Sub homage).

I'd also consider the Orient Mako- in the same price range as the 007 and a very nice auto dive watch.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 02:23:38 AM
My 5 is Blue...   great watch for the price.

Offline Namsob77

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 03:55:26 AM
The more I read.......ughhh

So it seems the Invicta 8926ob uses the Seiko NH35A movement?  Now this is all new stuff to me but, it's seems that the Invicta really "rivals" the Seiko SKX007 at less than half the price!!  Before I read that, I was under the impression that the Seiko was clearly superior by a large margin?  Am I missing something???

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 05:14:28 AM
Invictas are a hit or miss regarding quality as far as ive heard, seiko will deliver most of the time and quality on a seiko will always be better. That said invicta has some homages to much more expensive models like the rolex daytona or submariner that may appeal to you although the quality wont be nowhere near.

Automatics if they are good dont really need more maintenance than a revision every few years, they do need it but on a watch that price you might as well use it forever and it may work properly forever or if it ever something happens to it you will do cheaper changing the movement.

Consider orient too, lots of models to choose from, very good prices and they are all built in house like seiko, that means the same company makes everything and they are very good quality, you should check the mako, ray diver line, they are elegant and i can tell from experience they can take a beating.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 06:32:52 AM
Invicta makes self winding ones, just what are you after? JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 07:36:09 AM
I'd also echo Ramon choice of Orients, while I don't own one I've heard nothing but great things. 
I have an Invicta auto but I forget the movement off hand.

To answer the "maintenance" question of autos the simple answer is YES they need to be serviced IMO but how often is the bigger question.  Some will say every 3-5 years others will say they have never opened their case backs and their watch is 30 years old and runs great.  Cost is a hard one as some watches will run over a $100 and others even more to lube pressure test etc.

I bought a Nixon and they charge $20 or so to put fresh batteries in and run some pressure testing and lube the gasket along with other things.

Ok back to watches,  I have always found a simple leather strap to be very attractive and tasteful.   Get a watch then get brown, black, and a metal band and end up with 3 watches.

I know these are higher than you requested.

Orient Bambino,Classic auto, symphony.

Parnis brand, there was some discussion of where to buy this particular brand so do some homework.

Timex SL series

There are lots of great affordable watches out there so have fun and dont worry about quartz movements.  The batteries last longer than you need to worry about. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:56:02 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Namsob77

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 02:19:03 PM
WOW!!  Thanks for all the input.  Now I am consumed looking at Orient brand!!  ughhhhhh lol

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 07:47:26 PM
The more I read.......ughhh

So it seems the Invicta 8926ob uses the Seiko NH35A movement?  Now this is all new stuff to me but, it's seems that the Invicta really "rivals" the Seiko SKX007 at less than half the price!!  Before I read that, I was under the impression that the Seiko was clearly superior by a large margin?  Am I missing something???

Seiko will have better build quality and better lume.  But you're right, the Invictas do use an absolutely excellent movement.  Before the the NH35A they used the also well-proven Miyota 8215 for the Japanese autos.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 10:25:46 PM
I have a Seiko SNE095P1.
My dad got it for me for Christmas and I think it's fantastic. I use it every day at work, I'm a clumsy fool and I do a fair bit of work outside looking after things that aren't friendly to watches. Compared to the Swatch I had before, the Seiko is better built, tougher, the glass hasn't scratched, nothing's fallen off and it's easier to clean. Accuracy is bang on, it's solar powered too which is nice and I think it looks good. Smart but functional, not too flashy or blingy.

Offline Namsob77

Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 10:43:14 PM
Thanks!  I really like solar, anything that doesn't need a battery change!

Now I'm kinda in between the Seiko SKX007 and Orient Black Mako!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 11:46:39 PM

I'm not a watch guy. So going on looks, I'ld go with the SKX007.  :whistle:

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 12:43:24 AM

Remember that solar have batteries too, there is no guarantee that a solar will outlast a quartz by a lot on a battery change. All watches will need some sort of maintenance sooner or later. Just saying that base your choice on what you like and any good quality watch will give you years of happy service before any maintenance is needed.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 01:11:05 AM

Remember that solar have batteries too, there is no guarantee that a solar will outlast a quartz by a lot on a battery change. All watches will need some sort of maintenance sooner or later. Just saying that base your choice on what you like and any good quality watch will give you years of happy service before any maintenance is needed.

Also solar watch batteries will cost more as well.  I have a few solar watches and have enjoyed many years without battery changes.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 07:07:16 AM
The Seiko SKx007 is the best choice of the ones you originally mentioned

+1

Offline Namsob77

Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 02:29:50 PM
I guess another question is the crystal in the Seiko or the Orient or even the Invicta recessed below the bezel, or is the crystal the higher than the bezel, thus bing the first thing the top of the watch contact point?  Hope I'm asking that correctly.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 05:34:19 PM
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 08:58:44 PM

Since you have good luck with Casio and need a bracelet, how about one of these?:
  http://www.amazon.com/Casio-A158W-1-Classic-Stainless-Bracelet/dp/B000GAYQJ0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1408030341&sr=8-7&keywords=casio+f-91w

The watch case on those is made from cromed plastic, and does not age well.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

Offline Namsob77

Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 02:30:40 AM

Since you have good luck with Casio and need a bracelet, how about one of these?:
  http://www.amazon.com/Casio-A158W-1-Classic-Stainless-Bracelet/dp/B000GAYQJ0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1408030341&sr=8-7&keywords=casio+f-91w

Thanks for the reply but looking for analog

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 05:10:25 PM
The crystal on the orients is a bit above the bezel but i havent had any kind of problems with it yet and i ride a motorcycle and put my hands everywhere, even used is to surf and was tossed everywhere on the water and sand and still looks new. So unless you plan to do some heavy outdoor or manual activities you will be fine, most crystals can take bangs and light scraping nowadays.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 06:12:39 PM

I'm surprised the Citizen Eco-Drive BM81-80 hasn't been mentioned yet:

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM8180-03E-Eco-Drive-Canvas-Strap/dp/B000EQS1JW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1409155864&sr=8-4&keywords=citizen

I have had one of these and also a Seiko 5 and vastly preferred this. Better lume, kept time better and you could swap a metal band on it no problem.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD