Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

want edc light AA or CR123

Offline firefightingjosh

want edc light AA or CR123
on: August 13, 2014, 05:49:14 AM
Looking for a new EDC light. Would prefer it to be AA or 1xcr123 to keep the size down. I currently run a PD35 but would like something smaller in size, but still bright.

Needs
moon light mode
medium or lowish mode
high
maybe a turbo mode
strobe
AA or cr123 or rechargeable
under 4in
under 50 bucks USD

Thanks!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: want edc light AA or CR123
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:55:35 AM
Are you looking for suggestions?
I'm the milk man!

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:00:14 AM
Sorry, yes I am. Figure if I am getting a nice SAK, I may as well get a new flashlight if I can find a decent one, then someone to trade or a good deal(that the better half will never know about...).

Thanks
Josh

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:13:11 AM
Olight S10 Baton satisfies all those requirements... just ask @JAfromMN. :D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 06:33:52 AM
I would suggest a Zebralight. They are a bit more than your budget, but are incredible lights.

http://www.zebralight.com/SC52w-L2-AA-Flashlight-Neutral-White_p_138.html
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 06:36:25 AM
I really do like the S10 alot.

Its the best light I I can think of  that fits your budget that I know of.
Defend the Hive!!!

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 06:58:28 AM
What about the s15? 280lm out of a single aa. Think I will decide between the s10/s15.

Josh

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 06:58:54 AM
Although I like the zebra light now too lol.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 07:38:12 AM
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline gunga

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 08:11:38 AM
Check out eagletac d25A and d25c.  Also thrunite t10s or t10t

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:58:35 AM
Can't make up your mind AA or CR123...  then don't

Get a convertable.

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-saber-2014/

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 01:13:56 PM

Get a convertable.

Good call, but I would rather stick with a clicky.

Maybe the Zebralight SC80 or whatever the current version is. :think:

--------------------------

If I were to be getting a new light, I'd opt for either the Eagletac D25A/D25C Clicky (there's a twisty version too) or the Olight S15/S10, depending on battery preference. Also if you intend to use the RCR123 batteries, I think the Olight S10 might be better at heat dispersal, and the D25C goes into direct drive with those but the flashoholics here might know more about that.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 01:17:37 PM

Get a convertable.

Good call, but I would rather stick with a clicky.

Maybe the Zebralight SC80 or whatever the current version is. :think:

--------------------------

If I were to be getting a new light, I'd opt for either the Eagletac D25A/D25C Clicky (there's a twisty version too) or the Olight S15/S10, depending on battery preference. Also if you intend to use the RCR123 batteries, I think the Olight S10 might be better at heat dispersal, and the D25C goes into direct drive with those but the flashoholics here might know more about that.
They promised me that there will be a SC82, but no idea on the timeframe (unfortunately, that makes the SC80 the current version, which is not available anymore)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 01:42:44 PM
I should have stayed out of this thread damn it! Now I want the SC52w and S15. So not impressed with yous.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 07:52:08 PM
The eagletac d25a/c used to go into direct drive with li-on in the 2012 versions. The 2013+ have regulated levels. They are boosted (which may or may not be a good thing) but they are regulated.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 08:37:25 PM
Thanks for the info. Cause of the price of cr123 cells here ($5 for no-names, $10 branded per cell) I only buy flashlights that can handle rcr's well.

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 08:38:59 PM
What are some decent RCR123's? I run surefire cr123's now and have had great luck with them, but they are not rechargeable..)

Josh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 08:39:47 PM
I should have stayed out of this thread damn it! Now I want the SC52w and S15. So not impressed with yous.

I like both as well and now the Saber is on my radar  :facepalm:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 09:18:26 PM
I would get a Zebralight, I've found my H52f (headlight, AA, current gen, floody) to be very useful, reliable and tough in the 9 months I've had it. It has done everything I've asked for it and despite daily carry still looks and works like the day I bought it.

The same cannot be said for the other lights I've carried over the same period.

I would suggest getting a headlight rather than a straight one, because you can use a headlight as a "normal" torch far better than a straight one as a headlight. 50ft was trying to use his Zebralight SC (something) as a headlight over the weekend and had to have the strap under his nose to get it pointing in the right direction. Zebralights kick out a lot of light for the batteries too. Whilst it's only for a minute, 500lm from a 14500 is very impressive, but what you get from an Eneloop is pretty awesome too.

From off, you can get in to any of the main modes easily - straight in to high, or low without blinding yourself having to go via high. Or double click to medium, triple click to flash and they also have a handy battery gauge if you click four times. Sounds complicated, but it's very easy after 5 minutes playing and I find it much easier to use than my Fenix.

You get a choice between different beam profiles - my mum has a not so floody one for dog walking and I have a floodier one for work as a lot of my need is for a spread of light within a few meters.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 09:43:09 PM
What are some decent RCR123's? I run surefire cr123's now and have had great luck with them, but they are not rechargeable..)

Josh
I prefer AW RCR123 batteries. I've had good results with them. RCR batteries require a diferent charger though, and have a higher voltage than the non rechargable ones, so check if your flashlight can handle them.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 11:58:24 PM

I like both as well and now the Saber is on my radar  :facepalm:

Fine, I'll put it on the list as well.  :facepalm:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 04:46:19 PM
I would highly recommend an AA light over CR123 for EDC if you're planning to primarily use rechargeables.  AA allow the use of NiMH and Li-Ion, and 14500 Li-Ion cells store more energy than RCR123 (16340) cells.  Plus you can still use Lithium primaries if you want, and alkaline if you're in a bind.
- Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 06:30:31 PM
The new ThruNite Saber was what came to my mind as well, but I won't hesitate to recommend the Eagletac D25A.  It's by far and away my favourite EDC light.  I love it in the Neutral tint. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 11:35:00 PM
The new ThruNite Saber was what came to my mind as well, but I won't hesitate to recommend the Eagletac D25A.  It's by far and away my favourite EDC light.  I love it in the Neutral tint. :tu:

I've got to stop reading this thread.  :facepalm:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 11:51:22 PM
Zebralight = vile, repugnant, evil, brain melter that will have you in one of the nice white coats that buttons up the back very quickly. They're just warped in every aspect of their being and should be purged from the planet for the good of humanity. Buy anything other than Zebralight. Seriously. Candle. Match. Light a fart. Anything, just don't let these evil people steer you towards them if you value your sanity.

Personally I have had very good results from Fenix, Thrunight, Sunwayman and 4sevens

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 12:01:23 AM
Zebralight = vile, repugnant, evil, brain melter that will have you in one of the nice white coats that buttons up the back very quickly. They're just warped in every aspect of their being and should be purged from the planet for the good of humanity. Buy anything other than Zebralight. Seriously. Candle. Match. Light a fart. Anything, just don't let these evil people steer you towards them if you value your sanity.

Don't gloss over it, tell us how you really feel about them Al.  :pok:  :P

I usually carry an Eagletac D25C Mini, but it's a twist, not a clicky.  Great little light though.  :tu:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:04:10 AM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 12:15:37 AM
Sorry, was I a bit vague in my response?  :D

Here's my fuller explaination that gets aired off once in a while  ;)

Zebralight Learning Curve:

• Grab light and push button with thumb, forgetting that (unlike any other torch that ever existed)depending how quick you do that depends what light you get - full power, minimum power, or a rapid scroll through levels. Swear at it!
  • Push button lightly (as in soft press) for next level and wait to see which level is next. It goes off (but not immediately). Swear at it!
  • Push button to turn it back on at a different speed, and light comes on at a different light level to before. Swear at it.
  • Try double clicking it. The light changes two settings, but flickers the intermediate setting on it's way there. Feel the start of a headache coming on, and swear at it!
  • Remember the "press and hold to change mode" thingy. Press and hold button. It goes too far before you let go and you get the light level after the one you wanted. Swear at it!
  • Press button quicker to advance light mode slower, and it goes off. Swear at it loudly!
  • Press button to turn back on, this time with eyes shut as you're getting frightened of giving yourself a seizure. Swear at it regardless of light level. Open eyes and assess which level the imp has chosen. Swear again regardless of result!
  • Press and hold and whimper as the light cycles through the various levels as you try to time it to stop on the right one. With gritted teeth and misting eyes, finally achieve the required light level for the job at hand (praying it doesn't need more than one light level)
  • Press the button to turn it off and it waits a fraction of a second just in case it's a double click. That's enough time for your brain to think you didn't press it right and tell your thumb to try again. By the time your thumb starts moving again the light has gone off so you end up turning it on again! SCREAM AT IT !!!
  • Whilst still screaming, press the button more slowly and deliberately to make bloody sure the button works this time. Light level changes and stays on. Look at the window to decide if it's high enough to jump out of. Start to cry
  • Stop ... take a breath ... think clearly and press the button once and wait. Light goes off!
  • Return light to drawer and pick up something else which hasn't been possessed by an evil spirit. Attempt to calm down and mend your wounded soul.
  • Leave the light there until you've read enough posts at good people at MT.O who have tamed the beast with bright smiling faces and give it constant praise. Feel convinced it's worth trying it out again.
  • Return to step 1 ......
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 12:48:54 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 11:31:03 AM
I can pretty reliably get my ZL to turn on in to the mode I want.

Compare that to my "simple" Eagletac that needs you to unscrew the head to swap between each of the 3 modes, I never know what that's going to turn on in. It adjusts itself and the only one it will reliably stay in is the fully tightened up 900lm mode. If I want medium, I unscrew it a turn (you can be fairly confident that's low) turn it on and then tighten until I get medium. If you stop as soon as you hit medium it will often flicker back to low so you have to go a fair way in to medium, but then you're running the risk of accidentally getting in to high.

Quite why they couldn't have had some detents or something I don't know. It can't be that hard or expensive.

My Fenix LD10 is OK, but from off you only have the options of low or turbo, to get to any other modes you have to half-press the button which sometimes results in you turning it off.

The cheap Energiser headlights are really irritating because you keep having to click through modes. click on 2 LEDs. Click 2 different LEDs that look the same. Click 4 LEDs that don't seem to make any difference. Click pointless red. Click off.

My Petzl Pixa couldn't be easier, that's just a three position twist with a detent in each position. notch 0 is off, notch 1 is low, notch 2 is high. When you put it away it automatically turns itself off and locks out the switch.

Incidentally I've just realised I had a dream last night about the battery on my headtorch running out. I couldn't work out why it wouldn't stay on high, then it was doing the telltale flash of "I've got a low battery" when you turned it off.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%