Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ambitious long term folder test.

Grathr · 245 · 14642

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: August 13, 2014, 07:20:25 PM
Lately I have been curious about the difference between budget folders and more expensive folders. I have previously never even considered buying a folder for EDC use with a msrp of over $100. Come to think about it my most expensive one cost about $50.

Is a more expensive knife with more exotic steel that much better than a budget one? I know that many of you probably have tested this before, and have a opinion on this, but in the end I know I have to test it for myself.

So I have deviced a test for my self:
I have selected a manufacturer that make both budget and expensive knives. I will first buy a budget knife and carry that for 6months, mainly for work, at home and when going on hikes. During this time I will routinely give you an update on how its performing and holding up, and my opion on it.
When the six months is coming to an end I will choose and order a more expensive knife from the same manufacturer, that is similar in size and function to the budget one, and do the same with that one. In the end I will hopefully have an answer.

The manufacturer I chose for this test is Spyderco. The reason I chose them is that their budget and more expensive knives are very similar in form and function. And Im curious about their knives. Their knives seems to ve very popular, also here, and I want to know what all the fuzz is about. I have used Byrd knives for some time, and I have been happy with them, but now I will finally get to try out the real deal.

The budget knife I have chosen is the Spyderco Ambitious.  I actually got it in the mail earlier today, but have not opened the box yet. I really hope its not too small or I really dislike it, because for the next 6 months Im stuck with it.

Here are some pics of the box :

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Ambitious long term folder test.
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 07:35:27 PM
This will be a great thread to follow, thanks, Grathr, for understanding this test! :popcorn:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 07:36:38 PM
And here are the first pics of it out of the box.

Its bigger and heavier than I thought it would be so Im very happy that I did not get its bigger brother the Persistence, as that would have been bigger than what Im comfortable carrying.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:38:22 PM
Although I'm a little put off by the Cap'n's recent experience, I'm a big fan of Spyderco knives. I've owned several over the years and I tend to see them as a little pricey, yet worth the money.

One example, the LadyBug, is quite pricey for its size, but an indispensable knife for the keychain.

Another thing I like about the brand is their overall design, especially the thumb hole. The way they lock is also appealing for me.

The one I use the most is my Native FRN. I use it for various cutting and opening packages and have yet to need to sharpen it.

Now that I think of it, I actually prefer them to my Benchmades. I think that's saying a lot for the quality. :tu:
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:38:52 PM
I can't wait to see how this goes. I'm a huge Spyderco fan so i'm very interested.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:45:26 PM
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I like the look of the Ambitious.

@Sawman. I'm surprised your such a fan of the Ladybugs. I had a pair of them,found that although they were pretty,and very well made,they weren't much cop as a work knife!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:49:07 PM
Although I'm a little put off by the Cap'n's recent experience, I'm a big fan of Spyderco knives. I've owned several over the years and I tend to see them as a little pricey, yet worth the money.

One example, the LadyBug, is quite pricey for its size, but an indispensable knife for the keychain.

Another thing I like about the brand is their overall design, especially the thumb hole. The way they lock is also appealing for me.

The one I use the most is my Native FRN. I use it for various cutting and opening packages and have yet to need to sharpen it.

Now that I think of it, I actually prefer them to my Benchmades. I think that's saying a lot for the quality. :tu:

While I am still pissed off about it (and still haven't received the screws) it would not keep me from buying Spyderco's in the future. I have owned quite a few and have not had very many problems. Only things are the PM2 screw issue, Dragonfly H-1 came with a terrible grind, and my Native 1 has a weird lock back. All of these are minor issues, but should be addressed before leaving the factory since all of these models are pretty pricey. Strangely I have never had any issue with Spyderco's cheaper models.  :think:  With all that said I am still a huge Spyderco fan. The pro's outweigh the con's for me. 
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 07:53:56 PM

@Sawman. I'm surprised your such a fan of the Ladybugs. I had a pair of them,found that although they were pretty,and very well made,they weren't much cop as a work knife!
The LadyBug has sentimental meaning to me. Many years ago, I gave my mom (R.I.P.) a green ladybug set with keychain light. She always kept it on her keyring and used both items regularly. I've been wanting to ask my dad for it but don't know what he did with it. Anyhow, the ladybug was also my first Spyderco knife and I've always liked them.
SAW

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:12:00 PM
:popcorn:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 08:19:29 PM
Good show  :salute:

I have a Tenacious that sees lots of work usage.  Its a combo edge and the serrations are wicked, I can push cut newspaper.  I also have the Ambitious and your right the size is great.  The edge on it is also wicked sharp and the grip is very comfortable to me. 
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:42:03 PM
I have played a little with it, and heres my first impressions:
It seems very solid.
The pocket clip is ridicilously big and stiff. I hope it loosens up or its going to be an issue.
I like the way she looks.
It came very sharp out of the box.
I think me and Ambi are going to get a long nicely over the coming months. :)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 08:45:59 PM

The LadyBug has sentimental meaning to me. Many years ago, I gave my mom (R.I.P.) a green ladybug set with keychain light. She always kept it on her keyring and used both items regularly. I've been wanting to ask my dad for it but don't know what he did with it. Anyhow, the ladybug was also my first Spyderco knife and I've always liked them.

Gotcha Steve,that makes a lot of sense :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 09:01:18 PM
It seems very solid.
The pocket clip is ridicilously big and stiff. I hope it loosens up or its going to be an issue.

I actually love obscenely strong pocket clips, but if it's a issue for you its a easy fix. Just pull on it until its as loose as you wan't. Simple as that.
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 09:16:39 PM

It seems very solid.

I actually love obscenely strong pocket clips, but if it's a issue for you its a easy fix. Just pull on it until its as loose as you wan't. Simple as that.
I will do that tomorrow :salute:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 09:23:18 PM
This is going to be interesting, can't you fast forward a bit :D

Could you please take a picture from the bottom (see image) and maybe that pocket clip?
ambi.jpg
* ambi.jpg (Filesize: 80.79 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 10:57:42 PM
Six months!  :-\

And then rince and repeat!  :o 

How about I send you a Dragonfly 2 now and you can test them together?  :)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 07:39:48 AM

This is going to be interesting, can't you fast forward a bit :D

Could you please take a picture from the bottom (see image) and maybe that pocket clip?

No fast forward :)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 07:51:45 AM

Six months!  :-\

And then rince and repeat!  :o 

How about I send you a Dragonfly 2 now and you can test them together?  :)

That would be cheating ;)

I think that long term testing really is the best way to reveal the differences between a budget and more pricey knife.
And now I have 6 months of deciding what knife to get. :)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 08:20:34 AM
Thanks for those two pictures :salute:
Guess with no fast forward we will have to wait :ahhh, well with the Donation Draw they are already training us to be pationt :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 09:46:24 AM
Guess with no fast forward we will have to wait :ahhh , well with the Donation Draw they are already training us to be pationt :P

Well Def is kind of busy with a floor in his celling but hopefully he'll get too it soon. :) I can't help with that but I know what the this months prize will be. :whistle: It's black and a different word for dog - a T at the end.  >:D

Looking forward to reading this thread as it progresses. :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:54 AM
Guess with no fast forward we will have to wait :ahhh , well with the Donation Draw they are already training us to be pationt :P

Well Def is kind of busy with a floor in his celling but hopefully he'll get too it soon. :) I can't help with that but I know what the this months prize will be. :whistle: It's black and a different word for dog - a T at the end.  >:D

Looking forward to reading this thread as it progresses. :cheers:

Hmm, me thinks me wants in on this months draw.   :drool:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 12:43:23 PM
I have the results of the Donation Draw.  I'll post them when I get to a computer.

For those wondering, I have had to rip apart a larger chunk of my bathroom than I'd hoped and it's taking a lot longer than I'd intended.  I so wish I could be one of those half ass repair guys....

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 12:50:43 PM
Not your style Grant. Hope you get it fixed soon. Best of luck.

That's us mobile.
Nate

SEND IT!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 08:20:49 PM
Day 1:
I moved the pocket clip today to tip up carry and softened the clip up a bit. Now it works perfectly.
I really like the way the blade snaps into locking position with a solid click.  Not much for it to today, except cutting some paper and cellophane and opening a package, wich it did very nicely.

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 08:36:35 PM
Bookmarked! Always liked the looks of Spydercos knives - as well as Byrds, but never gotten around to getting any of them, since they aren't legal in Denmark.  :( Definitely gonna follow this and see if they are as good as I think.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 10:14:30 PM
Bookmarked! Always liked the looks of Spydercos knives - as well as Byrds, but never gotten around to getting any of them, since they aren't legal in Denmark.  :( Definitely gonna follow this and see if they are as good as I think.

There's actually a couple made with the Danish market in mind :tu:

That's my enabling done for today :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 10:21:23 PM

I'd like to help too. ;)

The Spyderco DKPK.

us Offline sawman

Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 10:22:55 PM

I'd like to help too. ;)

The Spyderco DKPK.

(Image removed from quote.)
I'm not too keen on liner locks but that looks pretty sweet.
SAW

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #28 on: August 14, 2014, 11:00:14 PM

I'd like to help too. ;)

The Spyderco DKPK.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, but if I don't remember totally wrong, it is a bit questionable to carry this in Denmark, due to the hole in the blade. If you get stopped by an officer that has had a bad day, he might argue that the hole is there for OHO. I've never handled the knife however, so I don't know how strong the spring is.

They also made the Pingo, with a blade-shape that is definitely not in my taste, and latest they made the Spy-DK, named by a guy on a danish weapons-forum. The Spy-DK should be, AFAIK, an updated version of the DKPK, where they've took advice from the buyers on both design and legislation issues. However, it still has the Spydie-hole...  :think:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 10:31:38 AM
Going to follow this test with great interest. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%