Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ambitious long term folder test.

Grathr · 245 · 14243

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Ambitious long term folder test.
Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 10:36:01 AM
Bookmarked! Always liked the looks of Spydercos knives - as well as Byrds, but never gotten around to getting any of them, since they aren't legal in Denmark.  :( Definitely gonna follow this and see if they are as good as I think.

There's actually a couple made with the Danish market in mind :tu:

That's my enabling done for today :D
I'd like to help too. ;)

The Spyderco DKPK.

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah, but if I don't remember totally wrong, it is a bit questionable to carry this in Denmark, due to the hole in the blade. If you get stopped by an officer that has had a bad day, he might argue that the hole is there for OHO. I've never handled the knife however, so I don't know how strong the spring is.

They also made the Pingo, with a blade-shape that is definitely not in my taste, and latest they made the Spy-DK, named by a guy on a danish weapons-forum. The Spy-DK should be, AFAIK, an updated version of the DKPK, where they've took advice from the buyers on both design and legislation issues. However, it still has the Spydie-hole...  :think:
I thought the issue was more that it shakes open real easy due to a weak backspring or whatever.

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 10:56:39 AM
Bookmarked! Always liked the looks of Spydercos knives - as well as Byrds, but never gotten around to getting any of them, since they aren't legal in Denmark.  :( Definitely gonna follow this and see if they are as good as I think.

I'd like to help too. ;)

The Spyderco DKPK.

Yeah, but if I don't remember totally wrong, it is a bit questionable to carry this in Denmark, due to the hole in the blade. If you get stopped by an officer that has had a bad day, he might argue that the hole is there for OHO. I've never handled the knife however, so I don't know how strong the spring is.

They also made the Pingo, with a blade-shape that is definitely not in my taste, and latest they made the Spy-DK, named by a guy on a danish weapons-forum. The Spy-DK should be, AFAIK, an updated version of the DKPK, where they've took advice from the buyers on both design and legislation issues. However, it still has the Spydie-hole...  :think:
I thought the issue was more that it shakes open real easy due to a weak backspring or whatever.
That might have been an issue too. But in that case, shouldn't Spyderco have recalled them, to avoid users getting injured from their knives opening unintentionally? And still, if they had a weak backspring and a small Spydie-hole, I can see why people would argue that they are OHO.
But, that's all just guesswork and repeating what I read other places. As I might have mentioned earlier in this thread, I've never handled a Spyderco-knife and the few danish retailers I know off, won't even sell anything with a Spydie-hole in Denmark, not even the smallest in the Bug-series.  :rant:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 12:57:07 PM
That might have been an issue too. But in that case, shouldn't Spyderco have recalled them, to avoid users getting injured from their knives opening unintentionally? And still, if they had a weak backspring and a small Spydie-hole, I can see why people would argue that they are OHO.
But, that's all just guesswork and repeating what I read other places. As I might have mentioned earlier in this thread, I've never handled a Spyderco-knife and the few danish retailers I know off, won't even sell anything with a Spydie-hole in Denmark, not even the smallest in the Bug-series.  :rant:

I never said they were opening unintentionally. I read that they could be opened with inertia alone.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 01:50:53 PM

I never said they were opening unintentionally. I read that they could be opened with inertia alone.

Ohh, my bad - I thought you meant that they could be opened by holding the handle and shaking it a bit up and down.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 01:56:18 PM

Sounds  not good to me - if their backspring is weak enough to enable them inertia opening, it´s probably also very weak in holding them open at work. And without a "real" lock those backspring is all what´s keeping the blade from unintentional closing and cutting the fingers.  :think:

Without a locking mechanism i would prefer them pretty strong, to keep the blade open safely.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 02:52:29 PM

Sounds  not good to me - if their backspring is weak enough to enable them inertia opening, it´s probably also very weak in holding them open at work. And without a "real" lock those backspring is all what´s keeping the blade from unintentional closing and cutting the fingers.  :think:

Without a locking mechanism i would prefer them pretty strong, to keep the blade open safely.

I think if the knife can be opened or spread open just by waving it, then I don't feel too safe carrying it in pocket.  And any knife without a locking mechanism, in fact any folding knife, I just treat them all as slipjoint in use.  I feel that's a good practice to prevent any accidental knife closing on my fingers.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 03:20:24 PM

I think if the knife can be opened or spread open just by waving it, then I don't feel too safe carrying it in pocket.  And any knife without a locking mechanism, in fact any folding knife, I just treat them all as slipjoint in use.  I feel that's a good practice to prevent any accidental knife closing on my fingers.

I see what you mean, about pocket-carrying such a knife, but personally I've done it quite a few times with a knife that's pretty darn easy to open like that - two fingers on the blade, a quick down-and-up motion and it's open. Even though there's no hole or thumbstud, you can also easily open it with the thumb on the side of the blade, so it's pretty loose and it has never once opened the least in my pocket.
If it were a switchblade however, or OTF... I'd never carry that in my pocket; if I ever got to EDC such a knife, it would most likely be in a sheath on my belt.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 03:38:24 PM

I see what you mean, about pocket-carrying such a knife, but personally I've done it quite a few times with a knife that's pretty darn easy to open like that - two fingers on the blade, a quick down-and-up motion and it's open. Even though there's no hole or thumbstud, you can also easily open it with the thumb on the side of the blade, so it's pretty loose and it has never once opened the least in my pocket.
If it were a switchblade however, or OTF... I'd never carry that in my pocket; if I ever got to EDC such a knife, it would most likely be in a sheath on my belt.

Actually, we might be on the same page.  Many Spyderco user would hold onto the hole, and just flick the handle "open" by gravity, which many of my knives probably could be opened in similar fashion so as long the handle carry some weight.

What I don't safe is the type that while you are holding onto the handle, the tip of blade could be flicked/spread open just by slowly/lightly waving the handle.  Or any kind of weak detent or 'auto' with a very light button.  Those I definitely won't carry if there is no clip, and I can't press its spine against end of my pocket.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 03:43:37 PM

Actually, we might be on the same page.  Many Spyderco user would hold onto the hole, and just flick the handle "open" by gravity, which many of my knives probably could be opened in similar fashion so as long the handle carry some weight.

What I don't safe is the type that while you are holding onto the handle, the tip of blade could be flicked/spread open just by slowly/lightly waving the handle.  Or any kind of weak detent or 'auto' with a very light button.  Those I definitely won't carry if there is no clip, and I can't press its spine against end of my pocket.

In my opinion, such a knife wouldn't be usable as neither tool or weapon - it would just be plain hazardous and I'd definitely consider as a defect. I agree with the light button as well; I've once tried having such a knife open, while in my pocket. I'm glad that that one was blunt as hell...

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 08:40:31 PM

I'd like to help too. ;)

The Spyderco DKPK.

I'm not too keen on liner locks but that looks pretty sweet.

It's a slipjoint, not a locking folder

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: August 16, 2014, 04:36:18 PM
Went on a mini hike with my son today. Brought Ambi as main blade.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: August 16, 2014, 06:07:18 PM
Looks like a good day out. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Grathr

Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 06:22:06 PM

Looks like a good day out. :)

It was great :)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #43 on: August 16, 2014, 06:37:02 PM
Looks like you two had fun! Greats pics btw.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 08:34:36 PM
Nice outing, I like the snacks.  Does your son know the ambi is going thru a month of test, is he also bitten by the MT/knife bug like his dad?  :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #45 on: August 16, 2014, 09:19:30 PM

Nice outing, I like the snacks.  Does your son know the ambi is going thru a month of test, is he also bitten by the MT/knife bug like his dad?  :D

He is 3years old :)
Berries, snacks and bugs is what he cares most about :)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #46 on: August 16, 2014, 09:53:11 PM

Some of the earliest memories I had with my parents was them taking me on a short hike, it was a beautiful day that I will always cherish.  Your son may not remember the Ambi now, but hope he will remember the good time he had with you.  :)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 06:42:00 AM

Some of the earliest memories I had with my parents was them taking me on a short hike, it was a beautiful day that I will always cherish.  Your son may not remember the Ambi now, but hope he will remember the good time he had with you.  :)

I hope does :)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 08:44:35 PM
Update:
Ambi is doing great. No need to resharpen her yet. :tu:
I have however noticed that the blade is a little unevenly ground. If you look closely at the pic you can se that the blade tapers a little more to one side than the other. Its not really an issue though.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: August 23, 2014, 08:11:29 PM
Grathr, yes, it does look a little awkward from this picture.  The tip looks quite centered, but the middle part looks uneven.  I gonna take a look at my Tenacious, to see whether I have the same problem.

Does the knife need to cut something abrasive during the non-outdoor days, such as the cardboard?  Or something that may put a patina on it, like certain kind of food?

no Offline Grathr

Reply #50 on: August 23, 2014, 09:31:32 PM

Grathr, yes, it does look a little awkward from this picture.  The tip looks quite centered, but the middle part looks uneven.  I gonna take a look at my Tenacious, to see whether I have the same problem.

Does the knife need to cut something abrasive during the non-outdoor days, such as the cardboard?  Or something that may put a patina on it, like certain kind of food?

It has already cut a fair bit if cartboard. Not much food prep yet though. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: August 23, 2014, 09:38:57 PM

It has already cut a fair bit if cartboard. Not much food prep yet though. 

Thanks for the reply!  Look forward to your newer user report.  :popcorn:

no Offline Grathr

Ambitious long term folder test.
Reply #52 on: August 31, 2014, 09:28:43 AM
Day 18:
The Ambitious is doing great. There has been no need to touch it up yet. (Both the Gerber Swagger mini and the Kershaw Shuffle where in need of a touch up at this point. )
The big pocket clip is growing on me. It holds the quite heavy Ambitious firmly in place.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #53 on: August 31, 2014, 09:32:00 AM
Great to here. I figured it would treat you right.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 09:57:28 AM
 :popcorn:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: August 31, 2014, 06:01:25 PM
Thanks for the update!  :popcorn:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: September 10, 2014, 07:17:02 PM

Any sharpening after almost a month?

no Offline Grathr

Reply #57 on: September 11, 2014, 08:15:19 PM

No sharpening yet. Its still very sharp :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: September 11, 2014, 08:36:59 PM

No sharpening yet. Its still very sharp :tu:

That's pretty good, considering you do use the blade on a regular basis!  :tu:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #59 on: September 14, 2014, 03:32:17 PM
Ambi came with me hunting this weekend. I did not get anything other than beautiful scenenery and spend some time with a old friend though.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%