Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

firearms

ducttapetech · 3118 · 155584

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: firearms
Reply #1170 on: May 18, 2015, 06:52:58 PM
Doing a little internet browsing the other day and I was reminded of a pistol I'd always found interesting: the H&K P7 (M8/M13), also known as a "squeeze cocker" apparently.  Any of you folks ever get to shoot one?  Thoughts?

Years ago when the P7 came out I was interested in the gun but never bought one as they were quite expensive. I've never shot or handled one either. Rumor has it they are a bit on the delitcate side. Since I have no experience with the pistol I cant say one way or the other.     :)

I read that rapid shooting will heat the area above the trigger where the gas tube is making it uncomfortable. This was early pistols. I think they fixed this...
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1171 on: May 18, 2015, 08:44:52 PM
Doing a little internet browsing the other day and I was reminded of a pistol I'd always found interesting: the H&K P7 (M8/M13), also known as a "squeeze cocker" apparently.  Any of you folks ever get to shoot one?  Thoughts?

Years ago when the P7 came out I was interested in the gun but never bought one as they were quite expensive. I've never shot or handled one either. Rumor has it they are a bit on the delitcate side. Since I have no experience with the pistol I cant say one way or the other.     :)

I read that rapid shooting will heat the area above the trigger where the gas tube is making it uncomfortable. This was early pistols. I think they fixed this...

:tu:  Thats good! I'd still like to shoot one some day.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #1172 on: May 19, 2015, 05:12:08 AM

:tu:  Thats good! I'd still like to shoot one some day.    :)

Rapid fire of the P7 would definately heat the pistol up to the point it was uncomfortable to hold. Later production included a plastic shield in the upper part of the trigger guard to help alleviate the problem. Don't know how effective it was. I did not care for the squeeze cocking lever either physically or tactically. Was tiring to use, and when operated it made an audible click that could alert an enemy.

Was not a big fan of the P9 either. It required a very solid hold to function reliably. Hip shooting was out.

Those experiences made me a little leery of the HK USP when I first tried it. However that model is great; extremely accurate and reliable.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #1173 on: May 19, 2015, 05:21:22 AM
Just picked up a very interesting book - 'U.S. Guns of World War II' by Paul Davies. Most of it is derived from a very limited circulation U S Ordnance publication put out right after WWII. Includes a lot of info on the development of the M1 carbine and M3 SMG. Also other stuff I'd never heard of, such as H&R supplied over 20,000 .32 'Bobby' revolvers to the Brits during the war. A bit of boosterism about how the US had the best small arms in WWII (true in some categories; debatable in others), but still a very useful volume.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Guns-World-War-II/dp/1577471059/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432004341&sr=8-1&keywords=us+guns+of+world+war+II

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #1174 on: May 19, 2015, 06:44:54 AM
Just picked up a very interesting book - 'U.S. Guns of World War II' by Paul Davies. Most of it is derived from a very limited circulation U S Ordnance publication put out right after WWII. Includes a lot of info on the development of the M1 carbine and M3 SMG. Also other stuff I'd never heard of, such as H&R supplied over 20,000 .32 'Bobby' revolvers to the Brits during the war. A bit of boosterism about how the US had the best small arms in WWII (true in some categories; debatable in others), but still a very useful volume.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-Guns-World-War-II/dp/1577471059/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432004341&sr=8-1&keywords=us+guns+of+world+war+II

Very reasonably priced as well.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #1175 on: May 21, 2015, 12:51:55 AM
Chako,  bullets are the bits that fly out the front, you mean cartridges or rounds of ammunition.
I have been carrying my P7 for the last week or so, mine is an older PSP with the heel release.

Shoots really well and is more accurate than I am.
only my Model 52 Master is more accurate; mechanically.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #1176 on: May 21, 2015, 02:45:51 AM
Yeah...most folks around here just call them bullets.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1177 on: May 21, 2015, 02:48:50 AM
Yeah...most folks around here just call them bullets.

Do they call magazines clips as well.  :P

Seriously though. That drives me insane. Clips and magazines are two different things.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1178 on: May 21, 2015, 04:04:48 AM
Sorry...I was a bit snappy in my reply. I did state that my hand loaded bullets flew better than the factory loads I was shooting. I was in fact referring to the projectile. I guess I forgot to add the  ::) after my second statement that most folks around here just call them bullets. That was sarcasm...and I do apologize for not being more specific.

Sorry Captain to disappoint you there. Surprisingly enough, I just took these photos a few hours ago at the range.

This is my SKS. It has a fixed box magazine. Note the 10 7.62x39mm rounds attached to a stripper clip.

The stripper clip facilitates the insertion of said cartridges into the fixed box magazine.

Because I live in Canada, I am restricted to 5 rounds max. It is a simple matter of removing the stripper clip with the extra 5 rounds to be used later.

Here is my SKS. This rifle is very accurate with iron sights.

Far more accurate than I am at 100 yards. These were all fired standing up.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1179 on: May 21, 2015, 04:13:03 AM

Sorry Captain to disappoint you there. Surprisingly enough, I just took these photos a few hours ago at the range.

Disappoint me.  :think: I'm not following.  :think:

Excellent pics and that is good shooting for standing at 100.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #1180 on: May 21, 2015, 04:19:59 AM
Dan, has the surplus 7.62x39 given you any ignition problems?  I remember shooting some surplus Eastern Bloc ammo that would either be a dud or have a very dangerous hang-fire (3-5 seconds!  :o ) every 10-15 rounds. 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1181 on: May 21, 2015, 05:06:10 AM
That's some neat wood on your SKS!  :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1182 on: May 21, 2015, 05:39:36 AM
Sorry, I was being facetious. No they do not call magazines, clips.

I haven't tried the surplus ammo yet. Still using my supply of Russian non corrosive ammo. Oddly enough, no problems with this Barnaul ammunition for the SKS. Canadian Tire sells the stuff for 10 dollars a box of 20. I have had issues with the 9mm Barnaul with hard primers that don't go bang when struck.

It was the only laminated stock the store had.

Forgot to say, it was a good day at the range. I love when other shooters leave their brass behind for me to pick up. Sort of a bonus.  :D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:44:26 AM by Chako »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1183 on: May 21, 2015, 09:43:25 AM
Chako,  bullets are the bits that fly out the front, you mean cartridges or rounds of ammunition.
I have been carrying my P7 for the last week or so, mine is an older PSP with the heel release.

:tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #1184 on: May 22, 2015, 01:31:38 AM

Different tastes. That's why there are so many different gun makers.   :cheers:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #1185 on: May 22, 2015, 05:40:51 AM
I've shot many thousands of rounds of 7.62 x.54 corrosive surplus ammo through my M38 and multiple M91/30 Russian Mosins...... I've never had a dud round that I can recall.  It's not ammo you want to use to sight in a rifle, but it's good enough when shooting for fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1186 on: May 29, 2015, 09:56:34 PM
This Sunday will be my first IPSC competition. If I do this ok without disqualifying myself...I should be able to earn my black badge.  :tu:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1187 on: May 29, 2015, 10:09:22 PM
This Sunday will be my first IPSC competition. If I do this ok without disqualifying myself...I should be able to earn my black badge.  :tu:

Good luck buddy.  :tu:

Beyond anything else be safe and have fun!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1188 on: May 29, 2015, 10:58:09 PM

Good luck buddy.  :tu:

Beyond anything else be safe and have fun!

+1!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1189 on: May 30, 2015, 02:10:38 AM
Thanks.

Thinking of buying another firearm. Might buy myself another SKS and this time, deck it out with a tactical stock and accessories as I want to keep my other with the wooden stock. Going to take a trip down to the Sudbury area to see if this will be a reality.

Also thinking of buying another handgun. Either a 1911 .45, or a 357 magnum revolver.  :think:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1190 on: May 30, 2015, 03:12:39 AM
Forget another SKS, you need an SMLE and a Garand... :pok: >:D
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #1191 on: May 30, 2015, 03:26:11 AM
Forget another SKS, you need an SMLE and a Garand... :pok: >:D

+1

FN 49 would also be a good choice. Also FN did some '98 Mauser carbines in 7mm  (M1924) for various Latin American countries. Excellent little rifles.

In .357 S&W is probably the better finished; Ruger is probably the better value. Mine is a S&W 686 with 6" barrel.

Will continue to push the CZ 75. CZ also makes a M 97 in .45. Haven't shot one, but something you might check out.

http://cz-usa.com/product-category/handguns/cz-full-size-45s/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 04:31:54 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1192 on: May 30, 2015, 03:31:52 AM
+1 to a 7x57mm Mauser.  Great rifles in M93, M95, or M98 models, and the 7x57 is a handloader's dream cartridge.  Lots of components and loads out there, plus tons of stores that sell ammo keep it in stock.  Still a popular round 122 years after ir was introduced.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #1193 on: May 30, 2015, 04:31:25 AM
+1 to a 7x57mm Mauser.  Great rifles in M93, M95, or M98 models, and the 7x57 is a handloader's dream cartridge.  Lots of components and loads out there, plus tons of stores that sell ammo keep it in stock.  Still a popular round 122 years after ir was introduced.

I'd be inclined to go with an M98 rather than the older, weaker actions.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1194 on: May 30, 2015, 11:34:33 AM
I think I will end up with another SKS. In Canada, they are one of the best values in firearms one can get. I know I have quite a lot of fun with mine. I can easily see another all decked out with a tactical stock etc in my um...er...every growing collection of firearms.

As for the pistols. I have been looking at a used Uberti birds head 357 magnum pistol that the local gun shop has.

Not my photo...but  :drool:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1195 on: May 31, 2015, 10:20:19 PM
Well I am now somewhat in. Finished my first competition (I was told it was a level 2 competition) and all I have to do is mail the completed paperwork and I should get an IPSC black badge pin in the future.

I had a lot of fun. I somehow missed one target on one of the stages. No clue how I did that but I did..and it was rather easy at that. With that said, I did not get disqualified...and that is the main thing, oh and I had a lot of fun.  :2tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1196 on: May 31, 2015, 10:52:41 PM
Well I am now somewhat in. Finished my first competition (I was told it was a level 2 competition) and all I have to do is mail the completed paperwork and I should get an IPSC black badge pin in the future.

I had a lot of fun. I somehow missed one target on one of the stages. No clue how I did that but I did..and it was rather easy at that. With that said, I did not get disqualified...and that is the main thing, oh and I had a lot of fun.  :2tu:

Where you safe? Yes
Did you enjoy yourself? Yes

WIN!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline BASguy

firearms
Reply #1197 on: May 31, 2015, 11:22:21 PM
Also thinking of buying another handgun. Either a 1911 .45, or a 357 magnum revolver.  :think:

The .357 Magnum Revolver is IMO the perfect handgun.  It's the absolute perfect balance for power, control, and versatility. 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1198 on: June 01, 2015, 01:28:22 AM

The .357 Magnum Revolver is IMO the perfect handgun.  It's the absolute perfect balance for power, control, and versatility. 

Not to mention you can shoot .38 Special out of it.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1199 on: June 01, 2015, 04:38:46 AM

Not to mention you can shoot .38 Special out of it.

+1 to BASguy and the Cap'n.  I love my S&W Model 19.  Birds head grips look neat, but with a powerful cartridge they aren't all that great with controlling recoil.  I fired a Webley Mk IV once.  The old Webleys had birds head grips until the Mk VI.  That Mk IV wanted to twist out if my hand every time with full-power .455 ammo.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:40:38 AM by jerseydevil »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%