Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

firearms

ducttapetech · 3118 · 155626

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: firearms
Reply #2640 on: July 05, 2016, 01:06:59 AM
I'm a big fan of Smith & Wesson. Triggers are generally better than Ruger and I also prefer the way they handle. Rugers are solid as a tank, and can readily be disassembled for cleaning.

Try and handle both.

S&W 617 .22LR

Nice.

How much did you say you was selling it for?

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2641 on: July 05, 2016, 01:10:00 AM
I'm a big fan of Smith & Wesson. Triggers are generally better than Ruger and I also prefer the way they handle. Rugers are solid as a tank, and can readily be disassembled for cleaning.

Try and handle both.

S&W 617 .22LR

Nice.

Ten quintillion dollars. Cash.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:11:02 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #2642 on: July 05, 2016, 01:32:16 AM

Try and handle both.

S&W 617 .22LR

Nice.

A bargain at twice the price.

I would counter with an offer of five dollars and a half eaten Snickers.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2643 on: July 05, 2016, 03:13:25 AM

Try and handle both.

S&W 617 .22LR

Nice.

I predict you will remain "617-less".......
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline David

Reply #2644 on: July 05, 2016, 05:20:40 AM

Try and handle both.

S&W 617 .22LR

Nice.

I predict you will remain "617-less".......

:D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #2645 on: July 05, 2016, 07:20:49 AM
I'll offer $10.00, and a whole snickers bar still in the wrapper.  In fact, I'll make the snickers bar a jumbo!

Ruger and Smith both make target models and factory custom shop variations such as Chako's 586 with the adjustable front sight which was made for silhouette shooting.

You will enjoy either company's product. I have owned both and still have my Ruger GP-100.   The Smith & Wessons may have a better trigger feel right out of the box, but the Rugers are known for their durability and their triggers are just fine once you get used to them.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2646 on: July 05, 2016, 03:33:16 PM
Foam earplug practice ammo.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #2647 on: July 05, 2016, 04:30:37 PM
I'll offer $10.00, and a whole snickers bar still in the wrapper.  In fact, I'll make the snickers bar a jumbo!

You trying to horn in on my deal?

Ok you made me do this. Jumbo Snickers and pack of Ramen Noodles!

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #2648 on: July 05, 2016, 08:51:46 PM
Thanks for the kind advices, guys.

I almost knew that wether the S&W or Ruger are similar. But I didn´t have the Taurus on the radar.
Maybe some guy at the shooting club could have such a gun, for trying it out. The Ruger would also be nice to try.

This will mean some more time on the range...  :salute: :salute:

I´m almost looking forward on friday - when I will put my K98 back to duty after some time of resting...  :ahhh
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #2649 on: July 05, 2016, 11:58:48 PM

You trying to horn in on my deal?

Ok you made me do this. Jumbo Snickers and pack of Ramen Noodles!

Damn. I'm all out of Ramen Noodles. :(

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #2650 on: July 06, 2016, 07:33:55 AM
  Repeating .45 caliber air rifle from the 1700's

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #2651 on: July 07, 2016, 08:21:35 PM
Just got a phone call of a friend of mine. We´ll meet tomorrow at our shooting club.

I gonna bring my trusty K98 to duty. He´ll take his nice .54 muzzle loader to the range.

In some time I definitelly need to get my paws on a short Mosin Nagant. Nice firing guns... or a Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine or or or...  :drool: :drool: :drool: Man, I´m a sucker for these old guns with full power rounds...

I don´t often get the chance to fire muzzle loader, as I don´t have the permission to own black powder, yet. But soon... and I´ve almost seen a nice Hawken Rifle at a gun store  >:D >:D

My poor wallet ... and almost each of these beauties can be reason for divorcement... but I´ll risk it  :facepalm:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2652 on: July 07, 2016, 08:58:23 PM
Just got a phone call of a friend of mine. We´ll meet tomorrow at our shooting club.

I gonna bring my trusty K98 to duty. He´ll take his nice .54 muzzle loader to the range.

In some time I definitelly need to get my paws on a short Mosin Nagant. Nice firing guns... or a Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine or or or...  :drool: :drool: :drool: Man, I´m a sucker for these old guns with full power rounds...

I don´t often get the chance to fire muzzle loader, as I don´t have the permission to own black powder, yet. But soon... and I´ve almost seen a nice Hawken Rifle at a gun store  >:D >:D

My poor wallet ... and almost each of these beauties can be reason for divorcement... but I´ll risk it  :facepalm:

I've shot a bit of black powder over the years and it's definitely a discipline I could get into.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #2653 on: July 16, 2016, 10:14:39 AM

¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2654 on: July 17, 2016, 04:12:06 AM
Official member of PETA.

* Unknown.jpeg (Filesize: 6.4 KB)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2655 on: July 17, 2016, 04:15:11 AM
Official member of PETA.

:D All animals are wonderful. Especially after a nice marinade, or in a crockpot..... :drool:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2656 on: July 17, 2016, 05:06:31 AM
Official member of PETA.

:D All animals are wonderful. Especially after a nice marinade, or in a crockpot..... :drool:

LOL, where is that like button!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2657 on: July 17, 2016, 05:11:38 AM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2658 on: July 17, 2016, 01:21:15 PM
I have another IPSC competition later today. Time to give the 357 Magnum some TLC before taking it out into the field.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 01:24:42 PM by Chako »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2659 on: July 17, 2016, 01:26:59 PM
Good luck mate.  Have fun. :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2660 on: July 17, 2016, 01:33:30 PM
I plan on it...just hope it doesn't rain on us here.

I was curious about felt recoil for various cartridges and came up with this. Thought I would share.

Pistols
http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_recoil_table.htm

Rifles
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2661 on: July 17, 2016, 01:57:58 PM
Careful there....  those videos could start a political debate. 

That production company is very fond of pushing a certain agenda, and whether we agree or not, this is a discussion about firearms, not the laws, rules and agendas behind them.

This has been a great thread so far and I'd hate to see it locked.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #2662 on: July 17, 2016, 07:48:00 PM
Careful there....  those videos could start a political debate. 

That production company is very fond of pushing a certain agenda, and whether we agree or not, this is a discussion about firearms, not the laws, rules and agendas behind them.

This has been a great thread so far and I'd hate to see it locked.

Def

Okay. Can't nix the video link from my end unfortunately.  :surrender:
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2663 on: July 18, 2016, 01:09:40 AM
Had a real fun day today. There was a great turnout of around 50 shooters. We even had a guy who traveled 10 hours to compete.  :o

I think I need a lot more practice. We had a few first for me. First time I got to shoot at bowling pins. That was real fun. I can say that 357 magnums hit with authority, as there was no confusion on a direct hit, unlike a few shooters with their 9mm rounds. Once again, we had to shoot single handed weak and strong. I really need to practice this. I had no issues with my off hand. However, with my strong hand, I kept twisting my wrists, thus I shot a civilian twice (white target).  :facepalm:

My loading is getting quite proficient however. I guess with only 6 rounds, I get a lot more practice. Still the only revolver shooter on the field locally.

Here is the first gallery, where stages 1 to 4 are located. First up was 3 targets with your weak hand. Nestled in between two was a white target that you aren't supposed to hit. The second stage consisted of the same but with the use of your strong hand. This was bad for me as I hit the white target twice while attempting to hit the correct target to the right of the white one. Got it on the third shot however...but I did accrue penalties.The third stage consisted of starting on a platform seated and shooting 8 paper targets through firing ports in a barrier once you get off the hotseat. The forth stage was very tricky as it was a shooting house set up with 16 targets all over the place. What makes this difficult is that you can't back track...so you have to get through and not miss a target. I missed one around a corner from the start position. I didn't even know to look around one of the barriers behind me at the start position. Many shooters missed more than the one however, so I do not feel all that bad about missing the one target here.

Here you can see stages 1 to 3. Tricky 4 was off to the left in the L of this gallery.

In the other gallery were stages 5 to 7. Stage 5 consisted of 3 paper targets and 3 bowling pins on the right and left side. Stage 6 consisted of shooting on a platform with partition, 6 paper targets and 2 steel plates. The plates have been my nemesis in prior competitions. I tend to miss those, but today, they both fell with one shot each. Stage 7 was tricky, much like stage 4. You start in the middle and must stay within an orange spray painted rectangle. There were 8 targets to hit, but some where hidden behind barrels. You had to shoot through firing ports in the partition...thus to hit all of the targets, you had to move left and right. I went to the far left and moved slowly right. I was able to hit all the hidden targets being methodical. Some guys missed a target or two on this one. It was challenging.

Here is a photo showing the second gallery with a fellow competitor, range officer, and score keepers.

Overall, great fun, Next IPSC competition is later next month. I hope to practice more with the revolver, I definitely need to practice weak and strong single hand shooting.  :tu:

For the curious, one of our members owns the Harvey's restaurant in town, and donates a lot of advertisement materials once they aren't needed. Mind you, every time they use this material, I do get a little hungry.  :rofl:

Plenty of Glocks, S&W M&P, and CZ models in evidence. A few folks shot 1911's but at this club, 45 ACP is not the round of choice as the vast majority like to use 9 mm and 40 mm. I am the only one shooting revolver and 357 magnums. I know of only one that shoots 10 mm and he uses a Bren Ten. One shooter uses a Heckler and Koch P7. That is a rather distinctive and interesting handgun.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:56:56 AM by Chako »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #2664 on: July 18, 2016, 01:48:41 AM
Looks like great fun, Chako :tu: I think it's funny how there is such a divide between .45 ACP and 9mm folks. And how clubs seem to pick one or the other as a mascot, lol.

BTW, I like the .357, as well. And it's always a lot of fun to shoot a good wheel gun. I have a S&W model 66-2 that my Grandmother used as her service pistol for many years.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:51:43 AM by rdub934 »
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2665 on: July 18, 2016, 01:59:35 AM
I have been told that the American club across the river shoot mostly 45 ACP 1911s.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #2666 on: July 22, 2016, 11:08:45 PM
Sinking the USS Thatch during a firing exercise. Think some of the rounds had dummy warheads; Harpoons cause a lot more damage than shown (photo below). Still an interesting video.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a21887/us-navy-allies-frigate-fire-exercise/
Harpoon-BDA-S.jpg
* Harpoon-BDA-S.jpg (Filesize: 85.05 KB)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:15:55 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2667 on: July 23, 2016, 03:25:55 AM
Damn!  :o At least she went down honorably. For those who don't know who she was named for, Google "Thatch Weave". Her namesake was an ass-kicker and name-taker. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #2668 on: July 25, 2016, 05:28:06 AM
Borrowing a castle nut wrench and a roll pin punch and starter from a friend, should have my AR pistol build finished tomorrow night. Just need to mount the buffer tube and the bolt catch. Still need to pick up a rear sight, new forearm, optics and illuminator can wait a bit. Function test this coming weekend, maybe zero if I can find a decent price on a BUIS.

My biggest grumble is the lower kit I got has the wrong size roll pin for the trigger gaurd. Made a staple for it with some stainless wire. It will work fine, just looks rather red neck.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2669 on: July 25, 2016, 11:36:22 AM
Come on Ironraven, you know you need to supply some pics mate. :pok:

:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%