Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

firearms

ducttapetech · 3118 · 154585

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: firearms
Reply #990 on: April 12, 2015, 07:31:22 AM
Well this is what I have figured out. My copy was produced in the year of 1950 from the Tula Arsenal (Star with arrow on top receiver plate), making it Russian. Because my copy has a black bayonet, it was refurbished at some point. Serial numbers appear to be the same throughout, but does appear to be written on the barrel...hinting at a refurbished rifle.

No cleaning kit in the butt-stock, and I didn't receive any stripper clips either to aid in the loading.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #991 on: April 12, 2015, 11:37:49 AM
Russian, nice score. Yugo and Chinese cleaning kits should be easy to find a Russian kit not so easy to find. I might even have an extra. SKS stripper clips work really well. They also work with AK 47 Mag loaders. I still have surplus X39 ammo from the 1980s I bought dirt cheap from the good old days. 8mm Mouser was crazy cheap if I remember right it was like 100.00 for 2,500 rounds in bandoleers with stripper clips. I still have 30-06 and 8mm in bandoleers on clips.  Any time you shoot foreign steel cased ammo it is a good idea to treat it as Corrosive and give the bore, gas system and bolt face a light cleaning with Windex or water before cleaning as you would normally would clean.   
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #992 on: April 12, 2015, 01:24:22 PM
I just found a tutorial. Going to try and field strip it and give it a good cleaning. I hear it isn't that bad, but I am sure I will mess something up. Printing off the tutorial right now and going to jump off the deep end. Probably take photos as I go along and post them in here if successful. If not, I will have a firearm in pieces that I will have to bring to the club for one of the more experienced members to re-assemble.  :facepalm:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #993 on: April 12, 2015, 02:27:01 PM
Go for it Dan.  What's the worst that could happen? :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #994 on: April 12, 2015, 03:32:37 PM
Just make sure that the firong pin groove in the bolt is clean and free of any cosmoline.  The SKS has a tendancy to slamfire if the floating firing pin is not perfectly clean.  I saw one go full auto once because of that.....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:33:39 PM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #995 on: April 12, 2015, 03:35:32 PM
SKS 7.62x39? Arn't they the ones with the reputation for cooking off rounds when stored in the car,and in sunshine on range?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #996 on: April 12, 2015, 03:42:56 PM
SKS 7.62x39? Arn't they the ones with the reputation for cooking off rounds when stored in the car,and in sunshine on range?

Yes, they are known for slam firing.  I believe it is because of a heavy non-captured firing pin, but I'm not sure.  I had one when they were $79, but I regret I sold it long ago.  I don't think they would cook off a round in storage.  It takes a lot of heat to do that.  There are videos on youtube on the subject.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:44:12 PM by kosmo »
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #997 on: April 12, 2015, 03:47:35 PM
The operation was a success. I had several worries before attempting this, but the online tutorial I downloaded was simply awesome and walked me through it for the first time.

I did say that if I was successful, I would post a few photos...

Here I am starting. Got my MUT which is now my motorcycle/range user. Cleaning kit in the upper left, a clean rag, and the all important instructions.

First step is to deply that bayonet. I must say, that bayonet makes cleaning this rifle a bit entertaining as I tried to fend my overly curious cats from coming to close to that pig sticker during the dis-assembly and cleaning process.  :facepalm:

I was wondering how the SKS was restricted to only 5 rounds, as all center fire rifles need to be pined to a max of 5 rounds. I did some online checking, and have noted that some have a pin drilled through the base plate. Mine does not have that. However, after examining it closer and looking a non pined magazine on an online SKS, this is how they pined it so that I can only put in 5 rounds. See that vertical rod...a bit nicer than drilling a hole in the bottom and placing a rod there. This way it doesn't look different from the outside.

Fun part number one, I have to push that piece forward with the dis-assembly pin on my MUT (see that white arrow). It was stiff as all get out but after a few attempts, the trigger assembly was able to come out.

Here is the trigger assembly.

Next, I had to pull the bolt back and pull out the magazine.

Next was to make sure the bolt was closed, and to swing a pin up and to pull it out. There is a pin that prevents this piece from completely being removed. This allows the bolt assembly cover to be slid back and removed. Yeah, one wouldn't want any tension on the bolt spring while doing this. Here, the cover plate is removed and the bolt spring is partially pulled out.

After that, it is a simple matter of taking out the 2 piece bolt carrier. Here you can see the various pieces removed from the rifle.

The first fun part was removing the trigger assembly. The second and most fun part was to remove the wooden stock from the rifle. This required me finding a rubber hammer to gently persuade the metal parts to leave the loving embrace of the wooden furniture. Man this was a tight fit. The MUT was very handy as I was able to gently tap the hammer part of the MUT with the pin deployed onto the metal frame.

Once all of that is removed, the next step is to remove the gas system. This involved swinging an arm upwards. This disengages the gas system from the rifle. Be sure to hold the rifle barrel downwards as the gas piston can prevent removal of the whole gas system.

Here we see that the gas system is now removed.

Now to remove this next part, you have to hold the springed piece with some force as you swing the gas assembly lever a little more open. This disengages and releases this part. The thumb is used to prevent this piece from going into orbit.

Now time to get some cleaning done.

I first started by gently wiping everything except for the gas system parts with a nice cleaner and lubricant.

Next was the bore. This patch in the second photo was white before the cleaning process of the barrel.

Next to go back on is the gas system.

After that was the stock. As it was entertaining to get off, it was equally as entertaining to put back on. Thank you rubber mallet in making this job easier. I had to give the whole thing a few good whacks to get it back on.

After that, everything goes back on in reverse. Not bad. I did have more fun with inserting the trigger assembly however. I tried to get it back on and realized it wasn't going on. I looked at it for a minute and realized the wooden furniture wasn't exactly fully seated in place. A few more good whacks and I was able to tap the trigger assembly back onto that retaining tab.

The gun wasn't very dirty and whoever cleaned it did a real good job. Here is what I got when I wiped everything down. I was expecting Cosmoline everywhere.

Now I have piece of mind...and also I can probably take apart and rebuild this easily next time around. All I needed for tools were a dis-assembly pin, pliers once to move one of the sliders, and a rubber mallet. I also can see how it would be fairly easy to buy a tactical stock and replace the existing one, if I so desire in the future.

:tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #998 on: April 12, 2015, 03:48:47 PM
Now off to the range.  :salute:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #999 on: April 12, 2015, 04:02:02 PM
Good job and nice score!

That's us mobile
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1000 on: April 12, 2015, 10:52:27 PM
Just got back.

Well I love that SKS. Accuracy out the first time is frightening. I shot very well with it. The 30-06 is quite a powerful round, but the kick was very ok. I was expecting something worse to be honest. I still need to sight this one it as I only shot a few rounds to see how it felt.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #1001 on: April 12, 2015, 11:10:49 PM
Just got back.

Well I love that SKS. Accuracy out the first time is frightening. I shot very well with it. The 30-06 is quite a powerful round, but the kick was very ok. I was expecting something worse to be honest. I still need to sight this one it as I only shot a few rounds to see how it felt.

I knew you would love it.  :D :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1002 on: April 13, 2015, 02:22:18 AM
S&W M28.     :)
Raptor OHT M28 010.JPG
* Raptor OHT M28 010.JPG (Filesize: 61.27 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #1003 on: April 13, 2015, 02:25:25 AM
S&W M28.     :)

Nice old piece. An M27 with a matte finish.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1004 on: April 13, 2015, 03:02:13 AM
Very nice revolver.

That's us mobile
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #1005 on: April 13, 2015, 04:24:26 AM
Just got back.

.30-06 SKS? Never in all my days havr I seen this and I have seen tons of them

Custom mod?

us Offline David

Reply #1006 on: April 13, 2015, 07:27:54 AM
Thank you CS and Nate.    :)  I've always like N frame Smiths.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1007 on: April 13, 2015, 12:13:42 PM
No. I brought an SKS, a 12 gauge shotgun, and a Savage Axis II in 30.06. All use different rounds.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1008 on: April 14, 2015, 12:18:17 AM
Ok,I know it's an air rifle,but it gives a nice look at the back 50 range at my club

There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1009 on: April 14, 2015, 12:20:08 AM
Looks good!

That's us mobile
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #1010 on: April 14, 2015, 12:20:26 AM
Looking the part mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1011 on: April 14, 2015, 12:53:39 AM
Yes, that does look good.

As I am gearing to take the Black Badge course early next month, I noticed I had an issue with my S&W M&P, in that it wouldn't accept a full 10 round magazine simply by slapping it in. It will however work if I rack the slide open, lock it open, and then insert the magazine. Yesterday, I got to witness an IPSC handgun competition first hand, and I got to observe most of the contestants, and noted that others didn't seem to have the same issue as my copy did. It saves a lot of time if you can just slap a 10 rounder in the handgun without racking the slide and locking it open. I asked around and found out that you have to shave a little of the bottom of the plate follower. I was told if you take 3mm or so off, that will allow you to feed your gun without having to rack and lock it open first. Faster to feed it and then rack it.

So I started yesterday taking my magazines apart and doing the shaving. Lucky enough the M&P magazines are easy to take apart, and the follower is made of plastic...so sanding the part is not that difficult.

Got my snap caps ready as I need to test each magazine after the shaving to see if it will work.

Handgun and dummy ammunition.

Enter the MUT once again. I need to use the pin to press down a button which enables me to slide the button portion of the magazine off. Doing that also means making sure the spring doesn't escape and shoot outwards.

One of my magazines dis-assembled. I have to shave off some of those legs on the plastic white/gray follower.

On the finished magazines, I am using battle ship gray to colour in the S&W logo to help me identify them from other competitors. As you can see, I am only half done. Had to stop due to sore fingers.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #1012 on: April 14, 2015, 02:44:10 AM
Sounds like things are shaping up nicely.  :tu:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #1013 on: April 14, 2015, 02:48:10 AM
Bet you are excited for the black badge class and some handgun competition.

Never had an issue like you guys and the slide forward mag issue. Must be something with the 10 round mags. It is the 9mm right?

Great pics btw.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1014 on: April 14, 2015, 03:08:07 AM
Yes, I think it has something to do with the 10 round mags.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1015 on: April 18, 2015, 08:53:29 PM
I forgot to take photos of the target I shot at with that SKS. This was at 100 yards with iron sights.

Not touching anything on this old Russian surplus army rifle.

My 9 mm handgun on the other hand remained a mystery to me. Mindy you, I have only took it out twice. Both times, I consistently shot low, that is after figuring out the trigger towards the end of my first outing. Well I decided to put all the other firearms away and to focus on the 9 mm, as my course is quickly coming up, and I will have to show some sort of proficiency with it.

On my second outing, I was trying to find an aiming system that would work. I was raising the front blade above the rear sight, and that sort of worked for me...but not consistently. Today, I gave it some thought before heading out to the range which I think paid off. I figured I was holding the handgun too low. I raised the gun higher so that it was directly in my sight path, took my time for a consistent slow trigger pull, and also concentrating on holding the handgun properly, and squeezed the trigger...and it was a good shot! Woah! Things started falling into place for me. The M&P 9 mm no longer was a mysterious thing that had a mind of its own.

I didn't get a chance at being discouraged...but I had to do some soul searching to figure out what I was doing wrong. My first two outings with it was a bit disappointing to say the least. My shooting buddy told me it took him almost a year to figure out his Glock...so I am certain I still have a long ways to go...but I am very pleased with my progress on the third date with my M&P.

After practicing with 20 rounds downrange, I wanted to see if I had improved. I placed this weird little air gun target at around 25 feet away. Here was the result after 10 rounds fired. I was aiming for his ribs which was the most visible part of the target.

Ok...now we are talking. I wanted to see how I would do with a farther target. This zombie was placed around the 50 to 60 foot range. The circled bullet holes plus the two lower ones that I missed circling were center of body mass shots (I shot 10 rounds and one is off paper). Then after practicing with another clip on another target, wanted to see if I could get a head shot. The X holes are those aimed for the head. A sixth shot was off the paper...but colour me very happy. I think the little M&P and I will get along just fine.

I know I am just starting, but I was puzzled in what I was doing wrong. I am very happy that I am coming around in figuring out my handgun, and a few things I am doing wrong.  :tu:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:03:06 PM by Chako »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #1016 on: April 19, 2015, 12:32:18 AM
The name of the game is consistency: in grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze, breath control. It takes time to develop those skills.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1017 on: April 19, 2015, 01:49:14 AM
Just like in archery. At least I can hit the paper now...or should I say...today.  :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #1018 on: April 19, 2015, 02:20:58 AM
You will get it figured out man.

One thing I would like to add though is you are doing backwards of any instruction I have ever seen or received. We always start up close to devlop some confidence and sort sight picture and trigger control.

At the distance you are shooting just starting out there is nothing to be ashamed of.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #1019 on: April 19, 2015, 02:34:59 AM
The name of the game is consistency: in grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze, breath control. It takes time to develop those skills.

+100   :tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85