Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Might buy a MP600, but...

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Might buy a MP600, but...
on: August 16, 2014, 09:17:17 PM
I'm sorry if this topic would've fitted better in one of the others about the MP600, but I'd rather start a new, than hijack. ;)

I've found an MP600 on a Danish site for selling used items, however, I can't seem to find that exact model anywhere else...
You can see the images here.

The price seems fair, at just about 72 USD/400 DKK, but I'm wondering if it's a modded model or perhaps a rather old one? I hope you can help me shed some light on this, before I pull the trigger and purchase it.

What's really tricking me off, is the shape of the main blade and what looks like Allen screws, at the tool pivots on the bottom of the first image. It also seems like the bottle/can opener is sitting in the wrong handle, at least compared to the models on Gerbers website.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Might buy a MP600, but...
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 10:12:14 PM
I don't know about the specifics, but looks like a real original Gerber "Mr. Pinchy" multiplier. Gerber's starting in the MT world, like the PST was for LM.

A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:59:57 PM
I'm no expert on Mr Pinchy,but Bmot hit the nail on the head. On on the experts will be along shortly to tell us exactly which Pinchy it is.

It's more interesting as a collectable than as an everyday user though( this from the guy EDCing a Sideclip :whistle:)
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 01:02:25 AM
I don't know about the specifics, but looks like a real original Gerber "Mr. Pinchy" multiplier. Gerber's starting in the MT world, like the PST was for LM.
At least LM didn't make 300.000 variants of the same tool... Makes it easier for those of us that aren't experts.  :doh:

It's more interesting as a collectable than as an everyday user though( this from the guy EDCing a Sideclip :whistle:)
I actually have no idea whether I'd use it or not - it's just to settle my curiosity about the MP600-series and the sliding pliers-head. If it turns out that it is, in fact, one of the old models, it'll problably become a shelf-queen and act as an investment.  :whistle:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 01:17:55 AM
Hello, Mr. Pinchy!  :waving:  Yep that's an older one.  I'm not exactly up on the generations of those, but that's a non-locking Multiplier, the predecessor to the current MP series.  They're neat tools, just be sure to wear your chainmail gloves when playing with it......  ;)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 02:48:41 AM
Yep, that's a version 5 Multi-Plier.  IMO these are quite robust and OK for EDC as long as:

A- you don't cut heavier wire very much at all (that's when you really will find out how these earnt the well-deserved nickname "Mr Pinchy".

B - You don't need locking tools (the later MP600/Multi-Lock tools had all locking tools, and a greater variety of components)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 03:05:40 AM
72 bucks seem a little more that what it usually sells fror
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 07:54:05 AM

... in the USA, yes. In Denmark (or any part of Europe) it's not a bad price, I suppose.

At least LM didn't make 300.000 variants of the same tool... Makes it easier for those of us that aren't experts.  :doh:

Well, they did, really... Didn't you have a look at the PST-chronology-thread? :whistle:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 09:17:49 AM
Yep, that's a version 5 Multi-Plier.  IMO these are quite robust and OK for EDC as long as:

A- you don't cut heavier wire very much at all (that's when you really will find out how these earnt the well-deserved nickname "Mr Pinchy".

B - You don't need locking tools (the later MP600/Multi-Lock tools had all locking tools, and a greater variety of components)
Now, that's the info I was looking for. :D I very rarely use my MT's to cut anything other than cable ties, so that shouldn't be a problem and I've never really used locking tools on a MT, so no problem there either.

... in the USA, yes. In Denmark (or any part of Europe) it's not a bad price, I suppose.
Just had a look at the German eBay and found a newer model for about 32 USD - I'd say that's cheap, in American prices?

Well, they did, really... Didn't you have a look at the PST-chronology-thread? :whistle:
God damn it! Seems like all the old tools, that people really love, were all made in so many variants, that people couldn't really compare them properly, due to either different tools or materials...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 11:58:36 AM
Gerber has always been a bit bad for switching tool selections and making plenty of look alike MTs with different internal tool components...but Leatherman not so much. True, there are many versions of the PST, but most of those are cosmetic changed denoting when and where they were manufactured.

Personally, I would look out for a newer locking MP 600 unless the locking renders them illegal in your country. If you wish to collect Gerbers, then you will want to include the tool mentioned in your post.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 03:31:30 PM
Gerber has always been a bit bad for switching tool selections and making plenty of look alike MTs with different internal tool components...but Leatherman not so much. True, there are many versions of the PST, but most of those are cosmetic changed denoting when and where they were manufactured.

Personally, I would look out for a newer locking MP 600 unless the locking renders them illegal in your country. If you wish to collect Gerbers, then you will want to include the tool mentioned in your post.
As long as I use it for work, the locking isn't a problem; I just can't have with me in public, in situations that aren't work-related.
Since it was mostly for curing my curiosity, I'm gonna let this one go for now, and focus on the one I found on the bay earlier today.

Thanks for all your tips and knowledge-sharing. :D

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 10:38:27 PM
Well, apparently I won the eBay-listing for a bluntnosed MP600 - should be arriving within a week or so. Seems like a nice little gift to myself, for celebrating the first 3 months without cigarettes.
Just wished that I had seen the payment would be via bank transfer; my bank charges hefty fees for transfers to foreign accounts...

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 01:09:31 PM
hi, try buying from Amazon.com. take note there are various price for a said item.
if you search for Gerber 600 there are few same item with different price tag.
Choose one that suite you, taking the shipping charges into account.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%