Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Hinderer rescue knife

us Offline hrvstmn31

Gerber Hinderer rescue knife
on: August 17, 2014, 11:15:30 PM
Anybody have any experience with this thing I saw a video on it recently and the guy liked it but only used it lightly in the ER. It seems interesting but it does have some faults but still seems interesting.

There's also a black version called the CLS.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Re: Gerber Hinderer rescue knife
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 04:09:08 AM
I didn't even know these existed, I must own one. Thanks for posting, if it's not too much trouble Sir could you post the video you watched. Meanwhile I'll do some research. I like the look of them. I'd also like to know if any members have any experience with these knives. Thanks in advance.

Stew...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 10:36:59 PM
Yeah sure sorry it took for days for me to notice a post. In the video he mentions the CLS but doesn't have one.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 10:46:47 PM
Not the most fortunate choice of name for a Rescue knife:

to hinder - hin·der verb \ˈhin-dər\ : to make (something, such as a task or action) slow or difficult

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hinder
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 10:49:18 PM
I forgot to elaborate on this but the knife is designed by Rick Hinderer but they still could have picked a better name.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:53:32 PM

to hinder - hin·der verb \ˈhin-dər\ : to make (something, such as a task or action) slow or difficult

Beat me to it :twak:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 05:26:55 PM
Hi! Sorry i have seen this thread only by now. I own one of these and i carried it around for a while, i find that it is a really good an reliable knife, mine opens smoothly with one hand and locks in place firmly. The belt cutter works very well too. I haven't tried the window punch but i guess it does the job. Also it has a very nice and robust pocket clip.  :salute:
Antonio

us Offline afi1

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 03:35:35 PM
I've eyed one of these up for some time now.  I really wish they would have put a full plain edge on the black knife.  I would use it primarily as a defensive blade and as a rescue tool second (Law Enforcement.)  As it is, I carry a "Wave" version of a Spyderco Endura as my defensive blade, and a Leatherman Wave on my belt for utility/extraction purposes.  I used to carry a Houdini Pro tool on my person, and have used both the cutter and glass breaker at work, but don't anymore in the name of streamlining and weight savings.  I keep it beside me in my patrol car if I need it, but not on my belt anymore.  It's too easy to get carried away and wind up over laden with tools/toys.  Combining two or more would save weight and bulk.  It seems the Benchmade Triage is the best option out there for me at the moment. 

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 04:21:49 PM
I've eyed one of these up for some time now.  I really wish they would have put a full plain edge on the black knife.  I would use it primarily as a defensive blade and as a rescue tool second (Law Enforcement.)  As it is, I carry a "Wave" version of a Spyderco Endura as my defensive blade, and a Leatherman Wave on my belt for utility/extraction purposes.  I used to carry a Houdini Pro tool on my person, and have used both the cutter and glass breaker at work, but don't anymore in the name of streamlining and weight savings.  I keep it beside me in my patrol car if I need it, but not on my belt anymore.  It's too easy to get carried away and wind up over laden with tools/toys.  Combining two or more would save weight and bulk.  It seems the Benchmade Triage is the best option out there for me at the moment.

Triage gets my vote :tu:. I've had one since shortly after they were released (both 915 and 916 versions, Satin PE with Orange scales). Love the 915 to death as an EDC blade. 916 rides in the car med kit as a backup.

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 07:24:53 PM
I own the CLS version too, and love it too.
Antonio

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 01:33:06 AM

yeah, that's true...but it's actually the surname/last name of the knife's designer - Rick Hinderer like hrvstmn31  said. He has also done past collaborations with Gerber with their Torch 1 & Torch 2 folders

The CLS also stands for combat life saver - Which rick designed based on his experiences as firefighter
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:36:24 AM by Goatlord666 »
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD