Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rebar plier head into Kick

Offline Gforcejames

Rebar plier head into Kick
on: August 19, 2014, 09:00:20 PM
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks

James

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Re: Rebar plier head into Kick
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:33:38 PM
I haven't personally tried it, but the Kick/Fuse/Blast tools use the same plier head as the Wave/Charge. I've swapped plenty of Rebar plier heads into Wave/Charge bodies :D so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. :tu:

Offline Gforcejames

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 09:35:10 PM
Hmmmm, looks like I got a project now!!!

James

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:03:05 PM
I'm not an expert at all, but I'm pretty sure the Kick plier head is slimmed down from the other "standard" plier heads. I'd expect that a full sized plier would fit, but you might need some thinner washers, and the blade might not fit anymore.

I'd love to see it done, however. I've thought of doing some Kick mods, but never "pulled the trigger".

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 10:21:35 PM
Hmmmm, looks like I got a project now!!!

James

:popcorn:

Offline Gforcejames

Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 11:04:56 PM
Well its looking good so far, it slightly catches on the knife blade. But I will be removing that next anyway, it all closes and opens fine though. Hope these pictures work......
20140819_215705_resized.jpg
* 20140819_215705_resized.jpg (Filesize: 242.25 KB)

Offline Gforcejames

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 11:05:43 PM
Closed up
20140819_215644_resized.jpg
* 20140819_215644_resized.jpg (Filesize: 184.72 KB)

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 11:09:03 PM
Wow, you don't muck around...

Offline Gforcejames

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:24:37 PM
From looking at it, I think if I swap the blade for the rebar saw. That should solve the catching issue, also if I change the kick small driver for the rebar small driver the plier head should rest better in the handles. It also looks like I should be able to fit the rebar Awl in place of the spacers.

If I could get hold of a wave bit driver, I could replace the Phillips and this would be perfect for me.

Just fiddling around now with the tool side fasteners on the rebar, there fiddly little buggers.

James

ps. I needed something to kill some boredom this evening, so I thought I might as well just crack on.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 11:37:14 PM
That was quick. Nicely done though. Don't stop now.  :tu:

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 11:46:28 PM
Very cool ! :tu:

gb Offline pingu

Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 12:04:28 AM
From looking at it, I think if I swap the blade for the rebar saw. That should solve the catching issue, also if I change the kick small driver for the rebar small driver the plier head should rest better in the handles. It also looks like I should be able to fit the rebar Awl in place of the spacers.

If I could get hold of a wave bit driver, I could replace the Phillips and this would be perfect for me.

Just fiddling around now with the tool side fasteners on the rebar, there fiddly little buggers.

James

ps. I needed something to kill some boredom this evening, so I thought I might as well just crack on.

Wow, that's wierd, earlier today I had my Rebar and Kick side by side thinking exactly the same thing.  The Kick being non-locking has some carry advantages for me and the Rebar cutters are awesome with stranded copper conductor, a capability I need.

In the end I didn't proceed but decided to make my Rebar knifeless and keep my "scissored Kick" as backup for my non-locking Juice S2 urban EDC.  Although I measured the pivot thicknesses as identical I did not spot what you found out the hard way, the Kick jaws are rounded.

You should be able to fit in the Rebar awl if you want.  The ex-Fuse scissors are slightly thicker than the awl.  I moved the tools and washers around and have scissors, phillips bit driver and lanyard loop in one handle, the others tools in the other handle.  Not a lot of washer space left.   I put the cap lifter against the Zytel and extended the nail nick to the Zytel groove as I found I could not reach the nail-nick in the original position.

On suggestion I would make is to consider the Leatherman bit extender rather than the bit exchanger.  Gives a lot more reach and more torque and you can still use individual bits.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:11:11 AM by pingu »

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 05:42:20 AM

James

Man, I was thinking of essentially the exact same mod about 2 weeks ago- Ditch the knife (which I wouldn't need) for the saw (which I figured would fit, good to know it does!), and put some useful tool (like an awl) in place of those washers.

I chickened out partly because of those tool-side fasteners on the Rebar. Let us know how it goes. :tu:

Offline Gforcejames

Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 09:25:19 AM
I will be continuing this project this evening, sleep got the better of me. On the plus side, I'm trying out my new Skeletool CX at work today to see how it fares, normal work carry is a surge.

Offline Gforcejames

Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 07:07:46 PM
Well progress has been made, just gotta find a way of getting the file in as well

Offline Gforcejames

Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 07:08:24 PM
Leftovers?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 07:15:34 PM
That is cool!

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline pingu

Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 07:55:23 PM
Well progress has been made, just gotta find a way of getting the file in as well

Well done.  I think the file will go in if you dump the cap-lifter.  The cap-lifter might go back in if you grind it thinner.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 07:57:18 PM
very nice,  very nice indeed. 

I think this would be a GREAT mod for a Blast!!   :whistle:
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:59:59 PM
very nice,  very nice indeed. 

I think this would be a GREAT mod for a Blast!!   :whistle:

RimfireNZ asked me about a very similar mod with a Blast recently.... it's on my list of mods to test out. :D

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 02:45:00 PM
Nice mod, I like that very much, please stop sharing your ideas here, it's will cost me money!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%