Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My partner's career has ended. Thanks for everything Ajo...

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Mods if I've posted this in the wrong place please move as appropriate.

Hello all. Please indulge me a moment to say thank you and farewell to my previous K9 partner "Ajo'. He is the dog pictured in my avatar. Ajo was my partner for 5 great years and together we accomplished many things. We took over $150,000.00 worth of illicit narcotics off the streets, apprehended somewhere around 75 fleeing felons, some of whom were bitten ;) and tracked and located 3 lost children and 5 elderly dementia patients who had wandered away and gotten lost. Ajo was quietly sleeping in the back of my k9 unit in the early morning hours of a cold night in 2009 when I was fortunate enough to find MTO on my in car computer. He snored loudly as I introduced myself to the membership and told my story of Logan Luka. Ajo was also very close to 5 year old Logan before Logan's passing from a terminal illness. Prior to his death, Logan was made an honorary k9 officer and I shared Ajo with him. Ajo would lay beside him in his hospital bed and comfort him when the pain was just too much for a 5 year old little boy. Ajo and I buried Logan together in a specially made k9 uniform 2 years ago.

Ajo retired shortly after me in 2012 and it saddens me to tell you that Ajo's time is now near. His health is failing more each day but he never complains. While Ajo was a true "bite dog", he loved children and we passed many happy hours interacting with sick kids. I shared some of Ajo's exploits here and many of you congratulated him and frequently asked about his welfare. I thank you all for that and felt compelled to share his current status with you. I know the inevitable is soon to come and I am trying to prepare myself. He means the world to me and was a better cop than I could have ever hoped to be. He served our community well and was happy with a simple pat on the head and the words "bravo ajo".

Soon Ajo's service will end for good. For now I am simply trying to enjoy every second of these last short days we have together. Ajo and I both deeply appreciate everyone's concern for him and interest in his career. He will always be the best partner I ever served with. Thank you for listening, and for allowing me to share this amazing animal with you all.

Stew and K9 partner "AJO"
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: My partner's career has ended. Thanks for everything Ajo...
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 10:18:56 AM
It's always sad to lose a loved one Stew,although for you it must be like saying goodbye to a brothere :cry:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:25:51 AM
It's always sad to lose a loved one Stew,although for you it must be like saying goodbye to a brothere :cry:

It is exactly like that. Thank you Kirk. :cheers: Sir.

Stew...

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:35:25 AM
It must be awful mate, and I know its an awful time for you :(

He does sound like a bloody hero, and I'm sure your very proud of him and have given him the very best life any dog could ask for mate :tu:

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:39:07 AM
It must be awful mate, and I know its an awful time for you :(

He does sound like a bloody hero, and I'm sure your very proud of him and have given him the very best life any dog could ask for mate :tu:

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Ajo was definitely legendary in this part of our state. Thanks for your kind words my friend. I'll whisper them to Ajo, I promise.

Stew...

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 10:42:00 AM
Sorry to hear that Scattergun :(

I lost thee pets in the space of three months earlier this year. It sucks. It must be even worse when they’re your “partner in crime”.

It sounds like you and he have made a real difference in your community.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 10:45:49 AM
I can relate in a way. My dog is not a K9 partner in the same sense you speak of, but is most definitely my K9 partner. I got her as a puppy. She knows nothing else, but me and would do anything I ask of her with no expectation of anything in return. She has been by my side through thick and thin. She (like Ajo) is getting progressively worse and I am dreading the day that will inevitably come. I'm just glad I have time to appreciate her every day and really appreciate every minute we spend together. They really are mans best friend.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 10:50:27 AM
Sorry to hear that Scattergun :(

I lost thee pets in the space of three months earlier this year. It sucks. It must be even worse when they’re your “partner in crime”.

It sounds like you and he have made a real difference in your community.

He was very much my partner in crime. I love that. Sorry to hear of your losses, I have no doubt they were equally as hard. Our k9 friends are all loyal and our best friends, no matter their occupation. Thank my friend.

Stew...

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 10:52:54 AM
I can relate in a way. My dog is not a K9 partner in the same sense you speak of, but is most definitely my K9 partner. I got her as a puppy. She knows nothing else, but me and would do anything I ask of her with no expectation of anything in return. She has been by my side through thick and thin. She (like Ajo) is getting progressively worse and I am dreading the day that will inevitably come. I'm just glad I have time to appreciate her every day and really appreciate every minute we spend together. They really are mans best friend.

Hi Captain. Thanks for posting, I knew you would. Your partner is the same as mine and they both mean just as much to us and give to both of us without asking anything in return. Scratch her ears from Ajo and me.

Stew...

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 11:13:17 AM
Stew, I am so sorry. It sucks loosing such a loyal friend. I have had to do this myself. Some people say they are just dogs or just pets. Maybe so. But to me they are more than that. Rather you are right or wrong, think or thin and to hell and back, that 'pet' will be right there with you when others turn there backs.
I wish you the best of luck.

Nate 

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 11:16:24 AM
Stew, I am so sorry. It sucks loosing such a loyal friend. I have had to do this myself. Some people say they are just dogs or just pets. Maybe so. But to me they are more than that. Rather you are right or wrong, think or thin and to hell and back, that 'pet' will be right there with you when others turn there backs.
I wish you the best of luck.

Nate 

That's us mobile.

Very well said Nate. Thank you very much.

Stew...

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 11:26:38 AM
I feel with you. Make Ajos time a good one!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 12:20:27 PM
It doesn't matter how long we share our lives with them, it is always too soon when it is time to let them go.  It takes courage to make the decision about when is the right time, but if you ask yourself what is best for your much-loved Ajo you will know when that is.

Afterwards try to focus on all the good times you had together (and it sounds like those were plentiful).

Take care, and we are all here for you if you need to talk more ......
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:36:25 PM
I've been there a few times myself. Make the best of your time toghether. It's not how long, it's how well that counts.

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 01:21:05 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. With you in spirit though.  :salute:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 01:53:27 PM
I really sorry to hear this Stew.   :cry:  I know how it feels to lose a greatly loved pet, but to lose your partner, one that has had your back on so many occasions, and has also given you such great happiness and love, it must make it that much harder.

Thank you for telling us about Ajo, and sharing pics and stories about him.  I wish his remaining time to be peaceful, and filled with comfort and love.

We're all here for you Stew, and we will do whatever we can to help ease the pain.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 01:57:14 PM
Yes, it is unfortunate that they have such short lives compared to ours. I have also went through the same thing multiple times, and it never gets easier. My friend, I can only imagine the deeper bond one makes when you go out day in and day out depending on each other in the pursuit of a dangerous but necessary occupation. I can only think that such co-dependence in a partnership would only server to strengthen those bonds of family and comradeship.

My thoughts and prayers your way buddy.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 02:20:39 PM
This is horrible news. I'm so sorry to read this.

My parents' dog Chip just passed away a couple of days ago and I have been in this situation more times than I want to think about. I really feel for you man. This is the hardest time in life man. Hang in there man.  We are all here for you.

The best I can say at a time like this is that while things will never be the same again, they can be OK.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 02:21:13 PM
My sincere appreciation to all for the posts. All are helpful and spot on. Clearly, everyone has been through this before. I knew I would get good advice and support here. No less than what Ajo and I expected from our extended family.
 :cheers: to all and thanks so much.

Stew and Ajo...
Chako, Derek, zoidberg, santos, greg, lowtech, your words mean a lot right now. :salute:

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 02:22:35 PM
This is horrible news. I'm so sorry to read this.

My parents' dog Chip just passed away a couple of days ago and I have been in this situation more times than I want to think about. I really feel for you man. This is the hardest time in life man. Hang in there man.  We are all here for you.

The best I can say at a time like this is that while things will never be the same again, they can be OK.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

And I can live with that. He did his job and did it well. Thanks Boss.

Stew and Ajo...

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 02:33:56 PM
I am sorry to hear about this,  may his memory be a light in this dark world
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 03:43:36 PM
Ajo  :salute: thank you for your service.  What a hero this beautiful dog is and what an amazing career he had.  I love the idea of this tuff guy chasing down bad people and getting all those drugs of the streets yet loving kids so tenderly.  Just like all heros, when its go time they are all business, and when it play time they sure know how to play. 

Wishing you strength during this time and Ajo comfort in this twilight of his amazing life.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 03:55:30 PM
Sorry for your lose mate,its amazing the bond we all get with our dogs,they stay so loyal to us and all they ask for is love,i miss both my old dogs and still think of them and it puts a smile on my face,he will always be with you in your heart  :salute:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 03:57:30 PM
You have my sincerest thoughts my friend. It's been several years since I've had to put down a loyal friend but I flash back to it and it bites me in the ass even to this day. I enjoyed every last minute of our time together and when time was up, I didn't handle it well, but I handled it. I grew up with him and no one could ever replace that bond we had.

Give him a scratch behind the ears from me. I love all animals and appreciate such a pet's loyal service :tu:

For what it's worth, I really solidly believe that animals go to heaven to be reuinited with their partners one day. That's all I'll say on the forbidden religion subject  :-X

Take care Stew and if you need to talk, send one of us a PM :salute:
SAW

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 04:16:56 PM
I'm so sorry.

I find the loss of a dog usually hits me harder than the loss of humans. :(  The one thought that helps me is knowing I tried to be there for them throughout their lives and that when they passed, they knew I was always there for them.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 04:33:52 PM
That sucks stew

Defend the Hive!!!

no Offline Grathr

Reply #26 on: August 20, 2014, 05:59:27 PM

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

de Offline Sweety-Sama

• No Life Club
  • First and Only
Reply #27 on: August 20, 2014, 05:59:39 PM
So so so sad to read this :,(

-----------------------------
Using a future communicator stolen from the NCC-1701

us Offline VictorLouis

Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 06:03:32 PM
Fix Ajo a good, big steak before he goes. He's earned it.  :cry:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 06:27:53 PM
Really sorry to read this Stew. :( Having to put doen a friend like that is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%