Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Skeletool First Impressions

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Leatherman Skeletool First Impressions
on: August 20, 2014, 10:23:07 AM
Hi guys,
I imported my brother a Rebar and figured since I was paying for the shipping anyway I may as well get myself a new toy. So I picked up a base model Skeletool for just over $30US I believe.

I knew very little about the Skeletool. I've used a Freestyle before and thought it was terrible... and I'd heard the pliers were Juice size which also didn't sound good. After opening the package and seeing the Juice style back springs I thought "Aahhh crap...". I bought it because I knew I could sell it for more than I paid for it still.

However after playing with it for a bit, and walking around with it in my pocket... I'm liking this a lot more than I thought I would.

Weight
The first thing got me was how featherlight this thing is. I don’t have my scales on me to weigh it… but it’s seriously light.

Pocketability (it’s a real word… I think…)
It has a built in pocket clip. I used to hate pocket clips, thinking they made things unnecessarily thick… but after getting a little frustrated with sheathes lately I’m totally on-board with the pocket clip idea. Even my charge disappears in my pocket with the clip.

Here’s the pocket clip:

Screwdriver
Finally a Leatherman bit holder that actually holds onto the bits! My Wave and Charge both just drop them out. It’s a little more awkward than standard Leathermans to use as a screwdriver (you kind of have to use it two handed) but this plus a bit kit has 95% of my EDC needs taken care of.

Pliers
This is the big weakness of the tool so far. The pliers aren’t very nice to use. The ergonomics aren’t as nice as you’d expect. When you squeezed you put a lot of force on the bit… and as a result the clip that holds the bits in. I hope that won’t present an issue.

They’re tiny too. I don’t have my Juice on me so I’m not sure how they compare. But you can see they’re tiny even against standard Leatherman pliers (which aren’t big anyway).

The knife
This is a nice knife. I never used to be, but I’m a fan of combo blades on tools that only have a single blade. It’s got a strong pivot, it’s quite thick, and it’s got a good lock on it.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Leatherman Skeletool First Impressions
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:07 AM
Nice looking tool! Glad you are getting along with it.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:40:35 AM
I'm pretty happy with my Skeletool. Handy to keep in my pocket at work.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 12:07:17 PM
My inputs:
#1, You won't like the Skeletool if you think of it as a Multi-tool with many features missing.
#2, You will like the Skeletool if you think of it as a knife with pliers and bit driver as bonus.
#3, The cararbiner is pretty useless for me, but it completes the tool's look
#4, I found when using Skeletool as screw driver, having the pliers head placed in bit driver side of handle is much more ergonomics, otherwise just feel odd.
#5, I do believe Skeletool is the coolest looking Multi-Tool ever.

Overall Skeletool is a fine light duty MT.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:12:04 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline pingu

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 01:35:38 PM
I had a Skeletool once but no more.  Can't remember what I did with it but the locking blade didn't suit my EDC.  I do remember not liking the bit pressing into my hand.  But ready access a cap lifter is tool feature I like but rarely delivered.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 01:46:40 PM
Thanks for the write up and pics!  I can't wait to get mine, and see what it's like.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 01:49:46 PM
My inputs:
#1, You won't like the Skeletool if you think of it as a Multi-tool with many features missing.
#2, You will like the Skeletool if you think of it as a knife with pliers and bit driver as bonus.
#4, I found when using Skeletool as screw driver, having the pliers head placed in bit driver side of handle is much more ergonomics, otherwise just feel odd.

+1, especially #4 - tool then forms a straight line.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:47:42 PM
My inputs:

+1, especially #4 - tool then forms a straight line.
Straighter
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 08:55:07 PM
Thx for taking the time and the pics. I own a Skeletool as well. But it mostly sits in its drawer.

I just don´t get warm with it. The look is quite fancy but in real use, the pliers are too small and the whole tool provides hotspots in the hands. No big deal for me. I sometimes carry it, or it sits in my range bag. But it is rarely used on an EDC tool.

I don´t dislike it, but not really my beer.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 09:33:40 PM
I racked up a large mileage on my Skeletool. Still going strong. 
But be careful and keep it on a leash, it likes to bite. :whistle:
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 03:27:13 AM
Some great photos there mate, glad you like it. It is for many a close to 'perfect' EDC tool.

I love mine, too.

Now off you go and get yourself a nice CX with a 154CM steel blade  :angel:

cheers!
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 05:51:09 AM
Some great photos there mate, glad you like it. It is for many a close to 'perfect' EDC tool.

I love mine, too.

cheers!

I'm not sure about the CX. The base model is a good buy at $35 I think I paid. I wouldn't pay double that for a CX. Honestly it's light enough :)

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 07:25:35 AM

I love mine, too.

cheers!

I'm not sure about the CX. The base model is a good buy at $35 I think I paid. I wouldn't pay double that for a CX. Honestly it's light enough :)

I don't think there's any weight difference between the two models. The blade steel is what you're paying extra for. ;)

It's worth it in my book... I have two of the CX versions. (one of them is the original with the CE 154CM blade, the other is the newer version with the PE blade.) I've also had 2 "regular" versions as well, but sold them both. :D

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 07:11:17 PM
Good looking pictures ! :salute:
I have 3 of them and like them a lot but maybe I´m not a good referens as I´m one of the few that likes the Freestyle as well. ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%