Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Opinions on the Fenix HL10

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Opinions on the Fenix HL10
on: August 22, 2014, 04:18:14 AM
   I will possibly be in the market for a new headlamp in the near future and found one I thought would be great, but after doing some deep research I am not so enthusiastic about it anymore. I really wan't to like it. The light is the Fenix HL10. I always wanted a Zebralight headlamp and the Fenix is similar, but at a cheaper price and much less performance.

Things that turn me off about the HL10:

AAA batteries
Terrible run time
Flood ONLY
High mode auto step down after 5 minutes
Metal clip holding light will scratch the finish easily

I currently have a LED Lenser H5. While it has performed excellently I just wan't something brighter. At 25 lumens it doesn't do much for me. Around the house it is alright, but when I am out fishing or in complete darkness in the outdoors it does not light up much of anything. Now my problem with the HL10 is the max output is 70 lumens which would be fine if it did not step down and the runtime on max was not only 50 minutes. Realistically less with alkalines. Add in the flood only and it is basically useless. I was thinking I could just run it on medium and get better runtime, but the medium is only 27 lumes. So it would be almost exactly the same as my H5 with less runtime. I really love the design and wan't to try one, but I keep talking myself out of it because I feel like it will just be a waste and the runtime really kills it for me.
   Do any of you have experience with the HL10? Do any of you have suggestions for any other headlamps in the $40 range. I'm talking $40 total shipped to my door. AA preferred. Thanks everyone.  :tu:

EDIT: I looked at the HL30 and liked it at first, but am talking myself out of that one as well. I have been hearing bad things about the HL30. Any insight on the HL30 would be appreciated.

NOT MY PICTURES

HL10

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa469/khk0603/Fenix%20HL10/S-2.jpg

HL30

http://www.fenixlighting.com/Portals/0/Images/1_Fenix-HL30-LED-Flashlight-2.jpg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:21:04 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Opinions on the Fenix HL10
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 04:42:14 AM
I have a HL21 and I've been happy with it, although I use it mostly for projects around the house.  I see it has been replaced in the Fenix lineup by the HL22, which I don't own and so can't offer an opinion on, though.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:41:48 AM
I can't help you but maybe you can help me. I've been wanting a new headlamp too and after you linked to the SC52w I started looking at the other zebralight lights and found the H52w. Are these the same base model with one made for handheld and one made for headlamp? Or is there something else that makes one better than the other?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:16:34 AM
I can't help you but maybe you can help me. I've been wanting a new headlamp too and after you linked to the SC52w I started looking at the other zebralight lights and found the H52w. Are these the same base model with one made for handheld and one made for headlamp? Or is there something else that makes one better than the other?

I would be glad to help, but at this moment I cannot even think straight. I will have to get back to you about that one tomorrow.   
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 12:14:14 PM

I would be glad to help, but at this moment I cannot even think straight. I will have to get back to you about that one tomorrow.

Get some sleep you drunk sexy clown.  :P

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 01:34:44 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SAW

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 07:31:58 PM
I considered getting a couple to give away as presents, but the disadvantages you have already listed put me off.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 11:27:11 PM

Pretty much, yes.

ISTR there's a slightly different beam angle on the SC (straight) series, but not by much. It's all in the specs on their website though. IMO if you're even considering ever using it as a headlamp, get the H over the SC. You can use the SC in a headband but as 50ft has demonstrated to me you have to have the strap under your nose to get it to point anywhere sensible.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 12:51:24 AM

Pretty much, yes.

ISTR there's a slightly different beam angle on the SC (straight) series, but not by much. It's all in the specs on their website though. IMO if you're even considering ever using it as a headlamp, get the H over the SC. You can use the SC in a headband but as 50ft has demonstrated to me you have to have the strap under your nose to get it to point anywhere sensible.

:cheers:  I'll start saving.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 11:03:15 AM
They're well worth saving for IMO.
I'd be lost without my H52F, I have it with me every day and even at this time of year it gets used multiple times per week. Come winter and that's multiple times per day.

• Absolute Zombie Club

Offline Muro

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 06:48:05 PM
I own the HL10 and well...it's poor and nice at the same time. Can you think about spending a tad more? Armytek Tiara A1 is at $55 at their website....strongly recommended. I received my warm (rather neutral) yesterday and it quickly became my edc, transferring sc52 and s10 to the left pocket....

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk

Offline Muro

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 07:12:54 PM
...although...it is rather floody, but this is something to think about...narrow spots tend to bounce in the distance, a floody beam is more steady...

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 08:37:08 PM
I own the HL10 and well...it's poor and nice at the same time. Can you think about spending a tad more? Armytek Tiara A1 is at $55 at their website....strongly recommended. I received my warm (rather neutral) yesterday and it quickly became my edc, transferring sc52 and s10 to the left pocket....

I already bought the Led Lenser SEO3. I'm kinda bummed with it though. Not bright enough and to bulky. I also hate that the light does not curve where it contacts your forehead so its just a flat piece on your forehead which become uncomfortable.
I'm the milk man!

Offline Muro

Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 08:51:18 PM
That's a pity. I did not stumble upon this thread earlier....but could also not have advised earlier. Sorry to hear that your choice disappoints you, as I had the LL on my list also as an upgrade from the HL3.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD