Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave or Rebar?

jnick · 48 · 10167

Offline jnick

Wave or Rebar?
on: August 22, 2014, 01:27:08 PM
Hi all! First post here :).

I have a Leatherman Sidekick that I got on sale at BF. It's definitely come in handy for my job (I'm a Network Admin) however there were a few annoyances with it, such as the non-locking tools. Well, last week I was using it to open the covers on a floor outlet plate and it snapped the flat dead driver :/. I do know about the warranty and am sending it in. However this led me to believe that the Sidekick isn't touch enough to stand up to the challenges at my job.

Therefore I'm considering the Wave or the Rebar.

I was leaning toward the wave because of the OHO blades, and the pocket clip as I ALWAYS carried the sidekick using the pocket clip.

However the Rebar has me on the hook for two reasons:

1. Weight
2. 3D Phillips head

I was NOT a big fan of the pancaked Phillips head on the sidekick. Looking at the wave, while I love the idea of the interchangeable bits, it looks like the Phillips is once again pancaked, and therefore I feel it may slip out of the screw head easily.

For those that have one or the other, can you please let me know what you think? I was hoping to buy the new on before I send the sidekick in as I don't know if I could survive without a MT for a few weeks LOL.

Thanks!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Wave or Rebar?
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 01:32:38 PM
If you were using the large flat driver, it's the same on the Rebar and the Wave. If it's locking tools you're after, then the Rebar is good. I don't seem to have any trouble with the Phillips, it works great!
SAW

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:40:53 PM
The bits on the Wave are 2d, but they have never let me down. Also all of the tools on the Wave lock. OH blades, smurf yeah! The there are a few downfalls with the Wave. One, no awl. Two, sometimes the bits are not long enough, but there is a way around that. Three, it is not a Surge.

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline pingu

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 01:50:09 PM
Rebar plus bit extender kit offers capability relevant to your work that Wave can't.  The Rebar replaceable bypass cutter performance on stranded copper conductor is awesome compared with non-replaceable bypass cutters.   That's a delicate test not a "tough" material test.  So Rebar +2.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:56:46 PM by pingu »

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 02:03:19 PM
Wave - cause i hate to let go the workpiece im handling, just cause i need both hands to fiddle out some inner tools.

But i have to agree, the rebars head/pliers is nicer - so best would be to buy both, swap the heads, keep the Wave with Rebar pliers - and then resell the Rebar with the Waves old pliers. Or keep it as a backup somewhere.

Or make it right at the first try - get a Surge.  :D

Or a OHT.  :tu:

Or both.  :whistle:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 02:11:02 PM by Lichtbote »
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

Offline TxToolCrafters

Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 03:24:53 PM
You could get both...

We offer a "Tsunami Edition" WAVE with Upgraded Pliers and Functions.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201071367532?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

TxTC

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:27:27 PM by TxToolCrafters »

Offline jnick

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 03:27:25 PM
Man! Split down the middle, two and two!

That was the problem...I didn't use the large flat head driver. I used the smaller one because it looked as if the larger one wouldn't fit. After I snapped the smaller flat head, I tried the larger and what do you know, it fit like a charm  :oops:

What bit extension kit works for the rebar? I didn't know it had one...?

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 03:31:23 PM
You could get both...

While i see you writing here ..... any chance you might have a spare saw of a BO Wave in house? I´m asking cause i´ve seen you offering BO serrated blades, and i´m thinking about giving my OHT some longer tools (serrated blade and saw).
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

gb Offline pingu

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 03:33:30 PM

What bit extension kit works for the rebar? I didn't know it had one...?

Maybe I didn't use the correct term :facepalm:.  I meant this...

http://www.leatherman.com/931012.html#start=10

Note that the kit supplied bits are Leatherman 2D but the adapter accepts hex bits.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:37:19 PM by pingu »

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 03:36:24 PM
That was the problem...I didn't use the large flat head driver. I used the smaller one because it looked as if the larger one wouldn't fit. After I snapped the smaller flat head, I tried the larger and what do you know, it fit like a charm  :oops:

I know the following is not the usual answer here  :D , but ..... that sounds as if you were completly fine after your existing tool has been fixed.  :think:

Next time you gonna use the correct screwdriver, and all problems are solved without buying another MT. ;)
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

Offline TxToolCrafters

Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 04:00:24 PM
You could get both...

While i see you writing here ..... any chance you might have a spare saw of a BO Wave in house? I´m asking cause i´ve seen you offering BO serrated blades, and i´m thinking about giving my OHT some longer tools (serrated blade and saw).

We are actually in the process of sorting through our spare blades and functions, and should have them listed soon. Send me an email and we can see if we can get it, or any other parts you may need, before that.

TxTC
 Marco@texastoolcrafters.com

Offline jnick

Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 04:37:14 PM

I know the following is not the usual answer here  :D , but ..... that sounds as if you were completly fine after your existing tool has been fixed.  :think:

Next time you gonna use the correct screwdriver, and all problems are solved without buying another MT. ;)

While you are absolutely correct that I should have used the larger, I don't really think the smaller one should have snapped. Not to mention, I am looking for more than a replacement. I want one with locking tools as to often does my sidekick close while using a driver.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 04:49:56 PM
Wave plus bit extender and you can use standard 1/4 bits and add reach to boot.  I use the 2D bits and have never had any issues with them.  I dont cut much so the replaceable cutters aren't a deal breaker but if you do then that will need to be considered.  The weight in pocket vs on paper is IMO negligible however when you add the bit kit and extender then perhaps it will need to be considered. 

Good luck with your search.   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline jnick

Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 05:29:47 PM
Are there any easy mods to get a pocket clip on a rebar? That's the one big thing making me not go with the rebar, at this point.

ca Offline Dem

Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 05:38:48 PM
I can't stand carrying around extra bits or bit extenders and the like, and really don't like LM's stubby driver, so my Rebar sees way more carry time than my Charge TTi (which is essentially a Wave for people with more dollars than sense.) Even without scissors, which I normally consider essential.

If you don't mind carrying around the extra parts, a Wave may very well be better as a network admin. But you will need to carry the bit extender, not just a bit clip.

Also, while the bits are still nearly two dimensional, they're a step up over the Phillips on the Sidekick and stick in better.

regarding clips:

Maybe a nite ize clip would work on it? You'd have to check the dimensions, of course.

http://www.niteize.com/product/HipClip.asp

Dem

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 06:29:19 PM
Having just done a fair bit of work using a Wave, I have to say that the philips, while not full 3d, works great. I had no problems with it slipping out of screws.

I'd vote Wave. It's awesome.

I own both, and the Rebar is a good tool, just not as good as the Wave. I can't count how many times the OHO blades came in handy in the last month.

Also, just so you know, the pocket clip is an accessory for the Wave. It doesn't come with the tool (normally).

So... Wave.
Get the Wave.
Did I mention the Wave?

:D

Offline jnick

Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 06:58:04 PM
Well, I finally did it. Lynn, you were the deciding factor. Considering you said the Phillips has worked well for you, I went with the BO Wave! Just purchased from Amazon with the BO pocket clip. Will be here Tuesday! Can't wait!

Thank you for all of the input.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 07:25:10 PM
Wave wave wave wave wave wave

D
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 07:41:19 PM
Are there any easy mods to get a pocket clip on a rebar? That's the one big thing making me not go with the rebar, at this point.

regarding clips:

Maybe a nite ize clip would work on it? You'd have to check the dimensions, of course.

http://www.niteize.com/product/HipClip.asp

Dem
Meanwhile in CA...pocket clip upgrade

Nice

those niteize clips look like they are made for the st300/rebar

:tu:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 07:54:49 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #19 on: August 22, 2014, 07:52:57 PM
Well, I finally did it. Lynn, you were the deciding factor. Considering you said the Phillips has worked well for you, I went with the BO Wave!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I think the Wave might be Leatherman's best tool, for the money. The Charge might be better, but I don't think I could ever justify the extra cost for the slight extra comfort.

Please let us know how you're getting along with it once you've had it for a while. We like user stories here.

ca Offline Dem

Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 08:29:45 PM
Oooh, thanks Kampfer :). I think I know what I'll be ordering next. That looks like a match made in heaven.

Quote from: Lynn LeFey
The Charge might be better

Since the Wave has already been chosen, I'm gonna go ahead and derail things a little ;).

I honestly don't think the Charge is better than the Wave. I like mine well enough to hold onto it, but I think it's an overpriced MT. It seems to me that the only thing the Charge totally has over the Wave is the hook on the serrated blade, which I find really handy. Aside from the dual bit driver model of course which could be handy for some. But otherwise...

I think the cap crimper is a silly gimmick and weakens the pliers (and pliers in MTs are weak enough.) I think the only reason the cap crimper is on the Charge is because it makes the plier head different from the Wave. I think premium blade steel is better served on a dedicated blade. And I don't think the thickness added by the scales is a worthwhile tradeoff for the boost in comfort (though I will admit it does feel a lot nicer in hand because of them.)

I like that it comes with a clip and some bits but you could easily get add those to the Wave and still come in for much less cost than the Charge. Really, I think the best thing about the Charge is the gut hook.

I will of course make my regular disclaimer that my opinion on the Wave/Charge design varies considerably from most folks here.

Dem
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 08:32:06 PM by Dem »

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 08:36:33 PM
Well, I finally did it. Lynn, you were the deciding factor. Considering you said the Phillips has worked well for you, I went with the BO Wave! Just purchased from Amazon with the BO pocket clip. Will be here Tuesday! Can't wait!

Thank you for all of the input.
Next you should order a Victorinox SwissTool.  It's an MT dream come true!! :dd:

In all honesty, it's almost impossible to beat the fit and finish of a SwissTool.  The tool load out is also fantastic on them.  The Supertool is also a fantastic tool, and I love the drivers on my ST200.

I think you'll be quite happy with the Wave though. :tu:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 11:20:07 PM
Dem's comment pretty much sums it up for with wrt the Charge.

I've never had a problem with the edge retention of the Wave, but I have had a problem with chipping the steel. I don't expect the edge to last forever but appreciate not having chunks out of the edge. I can't see a Charge improving anything for me.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 11:35:12 PM
You could get both...

I can't believe you kept the opener or small bit driver over the scissors.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 12:29:59 AM

I honestly don't think the Charge is better than the Wave. I like mine well enough to hold onto it, but I think it's an overpriced MT.

This ^^^

As for the Wave vs Rebar debate, I went with the Wave first but since then longed for a more traditional looking 'mini-ST300' tool with replaceable wire cutters and rounded scales that don't wedge into your palm.

I do like OHO features Wave comes with, but in most cases this feature is just 'nice to have', in real use situations it hardly ever mattered to me.

cheers,
babola
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 12:39:20 AM
Dem's comment pretty much sums it up for with wrt the Charge.

I've never had a problem with the edge retention of the Wave, but I have had a problem with chipping the steel. I don't expect the edge to last forever but appreciate not having chunks out of the edge. I can't see a Charge improving anything for me.

I can agree with the price comment, but have to add that they are both expensive here and I would never pay full price for either of them.

In our own six page thread of broken multitools I didn't see a single one broken on the cc. Yes, plier tips will break and some just don't like the cc but it doesn't appear to be an issue.

Some don't want to carry a dedicated blade. And if they have coughed up for the Ti handles why not include a better blade.

I do like having the gut hook. I don't like having it on the back of the serrated blade. I prefer the sheepsfoot style like in the Rebar.

Value for money has to go to the Wave. As for function I would call it a draw. If they cost the same I would want the Charge.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 03:01:39 AM
I say rebar on steroids.... Pliers Replaceable wire cutter, knife, serrated knife,scissors,saw,wood/metal file,small bit driver,Phillips screwdriver , large screwdriver , med screwdriver , awl , can/bottle opener, lanyard ring , ruler .. Perfect with firesteel , light , peanut lighter, tweezers , whistle.. Perfect EDC..
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 157.94 KB)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 03:21:28 AM by Obi1shinobee »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 03:15:27 AM
I say rebar on steroids.... Perfect EDC

Do you have two Rebars or did you swap the package opener and small bit driver?

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 03:38:17 AM
I take off package  opener and add small bit driver.. Much better tool.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 03:41:27 AM

I take off package  opener and add small bit driver.. Much better tool.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%