Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge TTi

Offline oschmid2

• New User
Charge TTi
on: August 23, 2014, 04:32:10 AM
Hi All,
I am a newbie to the forum. Thought you could clarify something for me. I received my Charge TTi yesterday and I am not happy with the action at all. Very hard to get the blade out one-handedly. So I took my magnifier out and observed that there were two phosphor bronze washers doubled up on the inside liner and none on the Ti side. I picked up the phone and called Leatherman to check if this was a mistake or by design and the lady confirmed this is supposed to be this way. Nevertheless, as I was not happy with the action I took the tool apart and distributed the washer to both sides. I think it made the action significantly better, not perfect still but a noticeable improvement. Any thoughts on way Leatherman would opt for this design?
As I am already ranting, the grind on the S30V blade was just horrific. It took me the better part of the night to put an edge on this with my Edge Pro Apex. Shouldn't the Charge TTi be their top model? I bought it mostly for the blade and therefore it bugged me quite a bit how bad this was implemented, in particular for that price.
I will end here... Thanks for your feedback.
Cheers! 
Holger

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Charge TTi
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:58:06 AM
Welcome to the forum!

The Charge models are indeed the flagship although there have been problems noted in the past.  The best suggestion I can make is that you contact Customer Service again, explain that you aren't happy and see if they will have someone check it out.  I can't say they will do that but their customer service is generally considered to be quite good. Plus, you paid for the tool, you should be entitled to some satisfaction.

Good luck and please keep us updated on what happens from here on out.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:47:40 AM
Any updates here? 

In my experience, if it's just the blade grind you are unhappy with, you can mail it back to them and they will regrind it, and I've personally never had to pay for it.  The crappy part is that you are out the cost of shipping to them so they can basically rework something that QC should have caught.   I can't imagine trying to reprofile an S30V blade with any of my sharpening systems, and I wouldn't have the patience to do it on a new tool.  Maybe a used one.  I would have returned the new one to the store. 

ph Offline ace.chen

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:20:50 PM
Hello. Just bought a charge tti. I have problems with opening and closing the pliers as they are very stiff. Any suggestions or inputs in how to access the pliers with ease??

I owned a Rebar as well and i have no qualms with it. Accessing its pliers is very smooth and easy.

Looking forward for any feedbacks.

Thanks!

Sorry oschmid2 for budging in your post..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
“Practice makes perfect, but nobody's perfect, so why practice?”

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:26:55 PM
Ghee damn scary . I was looking at the charge TTi . Now this page turn me off.
I saved my money. I thought it drop from heaven and was a perfect tool.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 02:37:50 PM
Hello. Just bought a charge tti. I have problems with opening and closing the pliers as they are very stiff. Any suggestions or inputs in how to access the pliers with ease??

I owned a Rebar as well and i have no qualms with it. Accessing its pliers is very smooth and easy.

Looking forward for any feedbacks.

Thanks!

Sorry oschmid2 for budging in your post..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just needs breaking in. Most LM tools are like that. After you have used them for a while, they will loosen right up. Also, the next time you are watching t.v., just open and close it. It will loosen right up by the end of a show.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 02:40:02 PM
Don't let it turn you off. They are good tools. Every rare once in awhile, a bad one get threw. LM is not the only company that this happens too.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

za Offline mrmustard

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 07:32:49 PM
Don't let it turn you off. They are good tools. Every rare once in awhile, a bad one get threw. LM is not the only company that this happens too.

Nate

+1 ducttapetech. The Charge TTi is a wonderful tool, it's true that LM's QC needs work at times but for the most part the tools are still great.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 06:58:21 PM
The only TTi I have had was a good one.  No errors at all, which was shocking because I've had at least 5 waves, all of which had flaws.  Some weren't bad, but one had terrible blade play and a lopsided blade grind on the main blade. 

I never should have traded that TTi, I miss it all the time.

us Offline Dynomiker

Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 08:06:02 PM
I've had my TTi for going on 3 years now. I carry it everyday. Love this tool. They do take regular use to break it when new. But once there, they are easy and smooth. I had Warranty it about a year and a half ago because I busted the scissors. They took care of it, no questions asked.

za Offline mrmustard

Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 10:13:39 PM
I've had my TTi for going on 3 years now. I carry it everyday. Love this tool. They do take regular use to break it when new. But once there, they are easy and smooth. I had Warranty it about a year and a half ago because I busted the scissors. They took care of it, no questions asked.

That is the legendary Leatherman customer care service and piece of mind that comes with buying their products especially here in South Africa.  Truth be told, our Victorinox agents can be real smurfs sometimes when it comes down to customer service and warranty but Leatherman's agents here are great.

I really am so glad that my first MT was a Leatherman.

au Offline aussieman

Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 06:16:00 AM
My TTI took about a week from memory to loosen up the blade opening, it was quite poor at first. Gritty. I just oiled it, and worked it a zillion times while watching TV.

Now it is perfect.

(after first assuring my wife this was normal behavior, and for a reason.)  :rofl:

Offline GEARHEAD_ENG

Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 04:57:18 PM
My wife was getting annoyed with me playing with my newly aquired Charge AL and Kershaw Cryo II on a 7 hour car ride (I was the driver). They don't understand these things have a break in time!

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 08:47:11 PM
Any updates here? 

In my experience, if it's just the blade grind you are unhappy with, you can mail it back to them and they will regrind it, and I've personally never had to pay for it.  The crappy part is that you are out the cost of shipping to them so they can basically rework something that QC should have caught.   I can't imagine trying to reprofile an S30V blade with any of my sharpening systems, and I wouldn't have the patience to do it on a new tool.  Maybe a used one.  I would have returned the new one to the store.

I had a warranty return once that wasn't to my satisfaction. Without my asking, the Rep offered to send me a postage paid return envelope.
Letherman has always come through for me, in the end. Sometimes you need to be a little persistent.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%