Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

BM Minigrip is no good for the beach...

Chaka · 23 · 1537

mx Offline Chaka

BM Minigrip is no good for the beach...
on: August 26, 2014, 06:56:47 PM

I think The minigrip was a poor selection for the beach...:nah_disagree: It rusted and sand jammed the lock mechanism.

Any suggestions for a better folder.

de Offline Lichtbote

Re: BM Minigrip is no good for the beach...
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:00:56 PM
Just to have one with you "in case of need", or for a certain task (maybe around a sailing boat)?

For the first - any cheap one that cuts and you are fine with having it replaced sooner or later.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:03:27 PM
If it is unavoidable that the folder is going to dip in salt water, I think BM has designated folder just for diving, H2O551.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:04:38 PM
Maybe a SAK will hold up better to that kind of environment.
SAW

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 07:05:29 PM
BTW, I am curious did the folder get wet or around wet sand?  And how long has passed until you take it apart to clean it?

mx Offline Chaka

Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 07:23:53 PM
BTW, I am curious did the folder get wet or around wet sand?  And how long has passed until you take it apart to clean it?

I clipped it to my trunks while at the sea... I spend 4 days at the beach with the family, got back 2 days ago.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 07:28:27 PM
Spyderco Salt 1 or Pacific Salt. It will never rust even under the worst salt water conditions.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 07:32:57 PM
I spent a day on beach with my BM Hunt series folder with S30V blade, soap in WD40 as soon as i got back home. No rust.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:33:27 PM

I clipped it to my trunks while at the sea... I spend 4 days at the beach with the family, got back 2 days ago.

So, now you have to buy a new one, huh?... Poor you... And SWAMBO saw what happened, so she can't say no...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

mx Offline Chaka

Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 07:40:40 PM
I think the AXIS lock is prone to jam in sandy conditions... I'll look into the spyderco salt.

So, now you have to buy a new one, huh?... Poor you... And SWAMBO saw what happened, so she can't say no...

:whistle:

:rofl:  I still have to fly under the radar...

us Offline VictorLouis

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 07:51:40 PM
Chaka, sorry about your disappointment. I have to ask, did you ever rinse it out with FRESH water after the salt exposure, or was it just come-what-may?  I don't think if would've stained that much with rinsing, but I may be wrong. In any case, what Capt. S. suggested is spot on. My former Salt did NOT corrode under beach, sweat, or blood use.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 07:54:07 PM
Edit: Posted link, but it did not work.

Anyways the H-1 blade they use is impervious to rust as they replace most of the Carbon with Nitrogen making it impossible to rust. They also treat all the screws and parts to make them rust proof as well as put a titanium clip on. They do not have liners so washing out is easy and nothing to bind up. Before I got my first salt I was worried about it not having liners, but my worries where soon diminished once I got one. Now I have 5 different H-1 bladed Spydercos. Had 6, but sold one to a friend.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:58:28 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

mx Offline Chaka

Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 08:32:08 PM
Chaka, sorry about your disappointment. I have to ask, did you ever rinse it out with FRESH water after the salt exposure, or was it just come-what-may?  I don't think if would've stained that much with rinsing, but I may be wrong. In any case, what Capt. S. suggested is spot on. My former Salt did NOT corrode under beach, sweat, or blood use.

I did rinse it out after with fresh water. The rust was only superficial, it is clean now.

The main problem was the sand that would the lock mechanism.

captain spaulding: Thanks for the suggestion. Wanna sell another one of those H-1?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:36:24 PM by Chaka »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 08:42:00 PM
Any moving parts and sand are a bad combination.  I vote small fixed blade.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 08:42:24 PM

I did rinse it out after with fresh water. The rust was only superficial, it is clean now.

The main problem was the sand that would the lock mechanism.

captain spaulding: Thanks for the suggestion. Wanna sell another one of those H-1?

Not a chance.  :D  The only reason I sold the one was because I had two of the same model.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 05:22:00 AM
Spyderco Salt 1 or Pacific Salt. It will never rust even under the worst salt water conditions.  :tu:
This.  I use a Pacific Salt for beach duty myself.

Any moving parts and sand are a bad combination.  I vote small fixed blade.
This is a valid point, as my Pacific Salt does have sand trapped in it that no amount of rinsing seems to remove.  While this will likely shorten the life of the knife, I'm not too concerned since the functionality seems unimpaired and I bought it for dedicated beach use.  I would love to see them come out with something similar to a Becker Necker in H-1, but the closest current production model seems to be the Enuff Sheepfoot Salt.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 06:16:04 AM
This is a valid point, as my Pacific Salt does have sand trapped in it that no amount of rinsing seems to remove.  While this will likely shorten the life of the knife, I'm not too concerned since the functionality seems unimpaired and I bought it for dedicated beach use.  I would love to see them come out with something similar to a Becker Necker in H-1, but the closest current production model seems to be the Enuff Sheepfoot Salt.

Since there is no liners I would say a good blast from a air compressor should be able to get any sand out of the pivot.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 03:01:57 AM

Since there is no liners I would say a good blast from a air compressor should be able to get any sand out of the pivot.  :tu:

I don't have an air compressor, but I could give it a go with some canned air, though I believe the sand is pretty well entrenched.  Unfortunately, I have one of the earlier Salts with pinned construction, so there is no (easy) way to disassemble for cleaning.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 03:46:59 AM

I don't have an air compressor, but I could give it a go with some canned air, though I believe the sand is pretty well entrenched.  Unfortunately, I have one of the earlier Salts with pinned construction, so there is no (easy) way to disassemble for cleaning.

Hmm... Not sure if canned air has the pressure to do it, but if you have it on hand it is worth a shot.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 06:43:34 PM
what do you do with canned air? Last computer I had that needed clearing out I took over to the farm workshop, used an air line and a respirator.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 09:19:08 AM
what do you do with canned air?

I use it occasionally for cleaning electronics and drying knives after cleaning.  Not as good as an air compressor by a long shot, but less expensive (for only occasional use) , takes up less space, and can safely and reasonably be used and stored inside the house.

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #21 on: September 14, 2014, 06:40:55 PM
Spyderco Salt series 100%.

I have a yellow Dragonfly with the serrated spyder-edge and the Salt 1 plain edge. The Salt 1 is the same style/size as the Delica 4. The H-1 is a carbonless steel that will not rust. Spent most of last summer with the dragonfly in the water weather it was ocean, lakes, or rivers....not one hint of rust. Just got the Salt 1 last month so not much use in the water but I have no doubts. Very lightweight which is nice for swimwear too.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 04:16:06 AM
Spyderco Salt series 100%.

I have a yellow Dragonfly with the serrated spyder-edge and the Salt 1 plain edge. The Salt 1 is the same style/size as the Delica 4. The H-1 is a carbonless steel that will not rust. Spent most of last summer with the dragonfly in the water weather it was ocean, lakes, or rivers....not one hint of rust. Just got the Salt 1 last month so not much use in the water but I have no doubts. Very lightweight which is nice for swimwear too.

I agree. The Salt series and any H-1 bladed Spyderco are amazing.

Just a heads up. The blade actually does have some Carbon in it.

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=3
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69