Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fried motherboard

Offline firefightingjosh

Fried motherboard
on: August 31, 2014, 03:38:26 AM
Came home to a dead computer:( looks like the motherboard went poof. Anyone know where I can get a new one on the cheap? Need this computer for school daily(desk top).  It's a 2yr old Lenovo. Pretty bummed since I don't have the extra funds to toss at this.  Think the  CPU is good still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Fried motherboard
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 03:49:55 AM
Are you sure it's the MB and not the power supply? That would be a much cheaper and simpler fix.

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 04:15:26 AM
Yea tested with 2 other back up supplies I have. Was hoping tht was the case. Ps runs, hd's run..  Fans and lights don't, and have no power to monitor or other plugs/cards. So assuming the mb took a dump?

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:25:48 AM
Hate to tell you this but large OEMs tend to use custom-built motherboards.  If you can find the exact model you have used you can scrounge a new board that way but it will probably be more expensive than just getting a new MB and replacing yours.

If you want to try looking, do a search for the exact model number of your Lenovo (generally on the serial number sticker) and see if you can find some from perhaps an end-of-life corporate lot sale.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 12:54:16 PM
Hate to tell you this but large OEMs tend to use custom-built motherboards.  If you can find the exact model you have used you can scrounge a new board that way but it will probably be more expensive than just getting a new MB and replacing yours.

If you want to try looking, do a search for the exact model number of your Lenovo (generally on the serial number sticker) and see if you can find some from perhaps an end-of-life corporate lot sale.
While this is mostly true, they still follow most standards, so it's really more of a case of making sure you get the same format board that will fit the tower/case. The thing that tends to be most different is the back panel layout. even so it shouldn't be too much of an issue to find a similar board. Failing that, cut the whole backplate area out. most mainboards come with a plate to match the layout, most towers have a removable area to fit all types of mainboards.

That being said, the mainboard of my HP will fit my old tower, but my old full factor mainboard won't fit my HP tower.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 04:17:44 PM

While this is mostly true, they still follow most standards, so it's really more of a case of making sure you get the same format board that will fit the tower/case. The thing that tends to be most different is the back panel layout. even so it shouldn't be too much of an issue to find a similar board. Failing that, cut the whole backplate area out. most mainboards come with a plate to match the layout, most towers have a removable area to fit all types of mainboards.

That being said, the mainboard of my HP will fit my old tower, but my old full factor mainboard won't fit my HP tower.

this is ONE of the reasons that I tend to build desktops instead of buying them (not so with laptops).  I like to know that each piece is what I want, and fits the industry standards.

the last desktop I bought was my first a Packard Bell in 1997.  (this was my first computer period, even though I wanted one for many years prior)

if I had a board that would even come close to working I would send it to you free, sadly, Mobos are something that I rarely have fail, and when I do, they get recycled.
If I can help, let me know 

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 06:53:53 PM
I like building my own setup too... last time (Feb2009) I could not even come close to the price of my HP setup buying separate parts, plus a lot of little bits that were included. Even if I had bought the lowest spec version of each component it wasn't even close... at least a hundred Euros difference.

I did immediately splash out on a better graphics card, something I had planned when buying the system to begin with. It also got a bunch of Hard drives I already had in my old setup for added storage. I also relegated the Windows Vista it came with to a secondary partition and eventually axed it in favor of a win7 install. Ubuntu has been the primary OS since day 1, but I like having windows for some testing.

Since then I have maxed out the ram for the motherboard (came with 3gb, currently has 8gb), added an SSD hard drive, and swapped out the power supply for a better one. I've been trying to migrate a lot of my storage from my machine to one of my NASes so that files are accessible from any machine in the house. (Especially handy with media on the TV).

I looked briefly the other day and for the price I paid originally I cannot get a new setup that benchmarks even close to what this machine currently does.

The other issue with custom components that I have had in the past is that sometimes things just don't work that well together. I know that careful planning helps, but sometimes until you have it all together and running you don't know for sure. Most decent boxed systems seem to be well planned and mostly bug free and well tested.

That being said my current PC is the only one I've ever owned that was boxed... every other was built out of components and gradually upgraded as funds permitted. This (core) machine has outlasted several of my past machines, and still seems to have some grunt left to give, I consider myself a pretty heavy duty user, and rarely have any of the issues my inlaws and friends seem to come to me with on their machines. (I'm guessing Ubuntu and not clicking yes on every popup you see helps).

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 07:36:37 PM
I only do customs too as for along time the big companies have had differences in their designs that make someone purchase their replacement parts, in this case a motherboard.  They would charge some ridiculous price of $179 when one could be had for $50.  Not sure if they are still that proprietary but like others have said, lookup the exact model you have and check it out.

I guess the determining factor would be whether you can get a generic motherboard to fit and what the cost would be vs what kinda specs you have in the current system.  If it is too old, you might wanna just build a new one!

I do buy brand name ones once in awhile but only if I want to test something or play with a linux distro and those dont need that high of specs to run good.

@Detron -  I had a Packard Bell too but it would have been around the 1991-2 era!  It was a 486-dx...woohoo!  :)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 12:27:02 AM
Agreed. I have built all my computers saving the last one which I am now using. After pricing out the components, there was no way I could even build a system for so less.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline detron

Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 02:44:49 AM
boxed systems can be much cheaper, and if it meets your needs, then that is the best solution.  I agree 100%!

but I do things that most people do not, and thinks like a dock  in the case for SATA hot swap connections is a HUGE thing for me since I do so much file recovery.
I also like a case that is friendly to the owner, with quick change pieces and tons of fans!

also, I need more heat protection than most,  including hard core gamers.  I do not game, but I use 4 Video cards.
Why would I do this?  because GPU acceleration puts CPU speeds to shame!  I compete in hacker challenges, and password recovery (cracking) is a massive choir that puts 4 video cards into overdrive!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 01:27:39 PM
but I do things that most people do not, and thinks like a dock  in the case for SATA hot swap connections is a HUGE thing for me since I do so much file recovery.
I also like a case that is friendly to the owner, with quick change pieces and tons of fans!
I have recently been looking for some sort of option on this, I can't make up my mind on just slapping a eSATA panel on the back or some other solution like http://www.dx.com/p/2-5-3-5-ide-sata-hdd-to-esata-usb-2-0-docking-station-w-card-reader-113455

I find it important to be able to easily access fans too, and like vacuuming the dust from time to time before the fans fail. There's nothing worse than having someone bring me a PC that has overheating issues and I open it to find something like this:

:ahhh

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:31:27 PM by Whoey »

us Offline detron

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 03:38:33 PM
I have recently been looking for some sort of option on this, I can't make up my mind on just slapping a eSATA panel on the back or some other solution like http://www.dx.com/p/2-5-3-5-ide-sata-hdd-to-esata-usb-2-0-docking-station-w-card-reader-113455

I find it important to be able to easily access fans too, and like vacuuming the dust from time to time before the fans fail. There's nothing worse than having someone bring me a PC that has overheating issues and I open it to find something like this:
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
ESATA on the back works,  but the nice dock on top is much easier to use.   I will gat some pics of it here soon to show why this solution is so much nicer

sent from phone

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 04:52:16 PM
I have an external eSATA/usb (SATA&IDE) case with external supply already, which would work fine using an eSATA port on the back of my tower. It wouldn't be as convenient as the caddy on that link, but it will work. Obviously IDE only works via USB, and SATA has a toggle for USB/eSATA. An eSATA port is the only thing missing on my machine at the moment. Sadly none of the leftover bits I've collected from installing motherboards for others seem to have come with a port... I also pondered maybe getting a PCI Express SATA 3 card... I am keen on keeping some sort of IDE interface even though I rarely need it these days I still have a bunch of disks that are useful as backup devices.

us Offline detron

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 04:59:14 PM
I have an external eSATA/usb (SATA&IDE) case with external supply already, which would work fine using an eSATA port on the back of my tower. It wouldn't be as convenient as the caddy on that link, but it will work. Obviously IDE only works via USB, and SATA has a toggle for USB/eSATA. An eSATA port is the only thing missing on my machine at the moment. Sadly none of the leftover bits I've collected from installing motherboards for others seem to have come with a port... I also pondered maybe getting a PCI Express SATA 3 card... I am keen on keeping some sort of IDE interface even though I rarely need it these days I still have a bunch of disks that are useful as backup devices.

here is the case I got.  I LOVE it  I think it was $88

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:04:16 PM by detron »

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 05:19:04 PM
In general: I like it, it does have some things that I've often thought about...

Having the PSU below the mainboard is great for allowing more cooling around the CPU/graphics, but then you also have the issue of the heat rising from it being below.

I like the drive caddies, except needing to take off both sides to unhook a drive. (assuming the cables come out the back and loop back in?)

Power switch etc on top will be as useful as my current case, I had to mount it somewhere with low clearance so that my cats would not sleep on it and randomly power me off... doing the same with that case would negate the SATA plug on the top.

I'd also be happy with a version with no windows or lighting. I find it unnecessary for a tower mounted under my desk... my legs don't need an alien glow.

It has a few features much like my old tower, albeit vastly improved. I bet they charge 140eur for it over here too...  :ahhh

us Offline detron

Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 12:28:20 AM
In general: I like it, it does have some things that I've often thought about...

Having the PSU below the mainboard is great for allowing more cooling around the CPU/graphics, but then you also have the issue of the heat rising from it being below. DOES NOT SEEM TO BE AN ISSUE, AND KEEPS THE COMPUTER FROM BEING TOP HEAVY

I like the drive caddies, except needing to take off both sides to unhook a drive. (assuming the cables come out the back and loop back in?)  AGREED

Power switch etc on top will be as useful as my current case, I had to mount it somewhere with low clearance so that my cats would not sleep on it and randomly power me off... doing the same with that case would negate the SATA plug on the top.  I HAVE NO CATS,  BUT CAN SEE YOUR POINT

I'd also be happy with a version with no windows or lighting. I find it unnecessary for a tower mounted under my desk... my legs don't need an alien glow. I LOOKED FOR ONE WITH NO LIGHTS (NO LUCK), THE WINDOW IS VERY DARK, YOU CANNOT SEE IN, UNTIL YOU GET A FLASH LIGHT.  I LIKE THAT I CAN SEE IN IF I NEED TOO.

It has a few features much like my old tower, albeit vastly improved. I bet they charge 140eur for it over here too...  :ahhh

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 03:20:08 PM

Having the PSU below the mainboard is great for allowing more cooling around the CPU/graphics, but then you also have the issue of the heat rising from it being below. DOES NOT SEEM TO BE AN ISSUE, AND KEEPS THE COMPUTER FROM BEING TOP HEAVY

I like the drive caddies, except needing to take off both sides to unhook a drive. (assuming the cables come out the back and loop back in?)  AGREED

Power switch etc on top will be as useful as my current case, I had to mount it somewhere with low clearance so that my cats would not sleep on it and randomly power me off... doing the same with that case would negate the SATA plug on the top.  I HAVE NO CATS,  BUT CAN SEE YOUR POINT

I'd also be happy with a version with no windows or lighting. I find it unnecessary for a tower mounted under my desk... my legs don't need an alien glow. I LOOKED FOR ONE WITH NO LIGHTS (NO LUCK), THE WINDOW IS VERY DARK, YOU CANNOT SEE IN, UNTIL YOU GET A FLASH LIGHT.  I LIKE THAT I CAN SEE IN IF I NEED TOO.

looking at the specs/images a bit further: http://www.rosewill.com/products/1772/ProductDetail_Overview.htm

It's the reverse of my current setup, currently my tower sits to my right with most of the venting facing the inner side of my desk, so I have to leave a gap between the case and the desk so it can "breathe" from the side. In yours I wouldn't need to leave much although it does have the backside breathing holes which are only complementary airflow not the main airflow as it is on mine. That's a definite bonus for cooling I currently don't have. It wouldn't be hard to disable the led lighting if it doesn't already have a switch.

It does look like a well polished case for not a whole lot of money... Sadly they don't seem to sell in the European market... only CAN/USA/MEX, Asia/Australia. :(

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 03:27:28 AM
Think I will just pick up a new desktop. havent decided to build or buy yet.. Kinda tempted to build for some fun.

Josh

us Offline detron

Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 03:28:55 AM
Think I will just pick up a new desktop. havent decided to build or buy yet.. Kinda tempted to build for some fun.

Josh

This site will help find low prices, AND ensure compatable parts!

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 03:32:09 AM
Awesome thank you! Tempted to try my hand at building a quad core setup, with dedicate sound and graphics cards, SSD as the main HD and so on...

us Offline detron

Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 03:35:27 AM
Awesome thank you! Tempted to try my hand at building a quad core setup, with dedicate sound and graphics cards, SSD as the main HD and so on...

if you run into questions,  feel free to ask for help,  there are several people here who could help ensure your money is not wasted on incompatible parts.  that site is very good, if you start with either the CPU you want of the mobo you want, it will guide you from there.  there is even a PSU voltage estimator, so you will know that your PSU is enough to run your system

Offline firefightingjosh

Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 05:58:52 AM

if you run into questions,  feel free to ask for help,  there are several people here who could help ensure your money is not wasted on incompatible parts.  that site is very good, if you start with either the CPU you want of the mobo you want, it will guide you from there.  there is even a PSU voltage estimator, so you will know that your PSU is enough to run your system

Awesome thank you all!  Between guns, lights, multi tools, trucks and this now I think I will have to now buy something for my better half so she won't notice.. Lol

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 02:05:59 PM

The case is one of the most underrated component of a computer and a part where a lot of people "save" money.

A premium case provides better air-flow while being quieter. I only use cases with dust filters, that way you can vacuum the filter once a month and not to worry about dust inside the case.

In the end the investment in a premium case is worth it as improved/better air flow increases live expectancy of all your hardware (especially HDD, and nothing can ruin your day like a broken HDD).

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline detron

Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 02:27:53 PM

The case is one of the most underrated component of a computer and a part where a lot of people "save" money.

A premium case provides better air-flow while being quieter. I only use cases with dust filters, that way you can vacuum the filter once a month and not to worry about dust inside the case.

In the end the investment in a premium case is worth it as improved/better air flow increases live expectancy of all your hardware (especially HDD, and nothing can ruin your day like a broken HDD).

I also see a lot of people try to "save money" on the mobo.  to mobo to me is the most important part.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 02:52:51 PM
your case inspired me to have a look at what's available... It's been a long time since I looked at cases, there's some similar Thermaltake cases here for about 40-50 euros (without PSU)

like the Thermaltake Versa G2: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001943

us Offline detron

Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 05:31:41 PM
your case inspired me to have a look at what's available... It's been a long time since I looked at cases, there's some similar Thermaltake cases here for about 40-50 euros (without PSU)

like the Thermaltake Versa G2: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001943

that does not look bad at all!!   very nice.  I cannot speak to the price,  I have learned (from this forum) that price is not standard across the world.
I researched cases for about a month before I built my current computer.  (had to wait on the money, so it was easy to do)
the drive dock is my favorite feature, I know most people do not use those as frequently as I do, but for me it is a huge deal. 

I built that computer in March of 2013.  I have used that dock on over 200 drives.  so yeah, real life saver!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 06:00:34 PM
I can see how it would come in rather handy for me too... One of those desktop docks with IDE, SATA and usb/card reader integrated that I mentioned might be in the cards as a good alternative option, and given where my case sits, more accessible/practical.

I'm seriously thinking about rehoming my machine, as I mentioned the side panel access is reversed... and thus has reduced space for airflow between the desk and tower. I have finally gotten annoyed at the noise coming from my PSU under full load (500w Coolermaster with 120mm fan, overkill for my setup) and it seems to be a breathing issue for the PSU, as when I had it laid flat on the side with the side panel off it seemed to be much happier/quieter, yes I checked to see if it was a faulty fan. I really dig those Thermaltake cases, and it should be more than adequate for my needs, plus if it fits in where my current tower sits it has far better breathing from top and bottom (and sides/front) than my current setup. While I'm at it I'm very tempted to toss in either an old PCI Soundblaster Live! with front bay or Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS I have in my drawer... sadly no official x64 win7 drivers for the Live! :( also not sure how/if I can use built in front audio with the Audigy...  :ahhh 

us Offline detron

Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 06:08:05 PM
I can see how it would come in rather handy for me too... One of those desktop docks with IDE, SATA and usb/card reader integrated that I mentioned might be in the cards as a good alternative option, and given where my case sits, more accessible/practical.

I'm seriously thinking about rehoming my machine, as I mentioned the side panel access is reversed... and thus has reduced space for airflow between the desk and tower. I have finally gotten annoyed at the noise coming from my PSU under full load (500w Coolermaster with 120mm fan, overkill for my setup) and it seems to be a breathing issue for the PSU, as when I had it laid flat on the side with the side panel off it seemed to be much happier/quieter, yes I checked to see if it was a faulty fan. I really dig those Thermaltake cases, and it should be more than adequate for my needs, plus if it fits in where my current tower sits it has far better breathing from top and bottom (and sides/front) than my current setup. While I'm at it I'm very tempted to toss in either an old PCI Soundblaster Live! with front bay or Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS I have in my drawer... sadly no official x64 win7 drivers for the Live! :( also not sure how/if I can use built in front audio with the Audigy...  :ahhh

I also had the SoundBlaster Live Platinum with front bay,  YEARS ago.  it was very cool.  never had the Audigy.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 06:17:57 PM
The Live! used to live in my wife's machine for doing her radio show, when we replaced her machine with a new setup preloaded with Win7 we tried but could not get official drivers for it. There is the KX project drivers which work, but the mixer setup is rather confusing... in fact, in retrospect I think it's more that Win7's mixer setup is garbage for recording. We ended up splashing out for a nice X-Fi Titanium which is a great card, but we don't have the front audio like we did... only the ~250euro+ cards came with front bay options and at the time we could not afford it.

I may see if I can rehome my PC into my old tower, it should be more than adequate space, and should allow for much better airflow around everything... plus I already own it... (in fact it sits beside me here anyways, full of unused bits)

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 05:34:45 PM
Just went through most of my boxes of junk to see if I had any esata ports I may have missed, and in the process decided to eliminate 9 old PSUs (most are burnt out/noisy as hell, less than 300w, with 80mm fans) I can't even be bothered to check them, it's pointless. I kept a few newer ones that I have with some parts I want to cannibalize like switches and cable covers and maybe fans (all 120mm). Don't worry it's not going in the garbage but rather an old suitcase I'm getting rid of that we will take to the recycle/green point.

I saw a bunch of small old IDE Hard drives, guess I better sort out that dock ASAP. I'd rather check/format/0 them out before they leave, but it'd be great to reduce that stuff too...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%