Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?

enki_ck · 1608 · 152533

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?
Reply #60 on: September 02, 2014, 07:20:08 PM

I view MTs as being a convenient little set of various tools to have on me should I need them.  I'm no handyman, so I don't get too in depth with what I need to do with them.  The idea is to save the hassle of having to go find a specific tool.  I don't need to be able to deploy a driver one handed in .2 seconds to find it worth carrying.  If it saves me the trouble of going to the other room to find a dedicated tool, or even better, serves as the tool when there is no dedicated one available, then it is definitely worth it to me to carry a MT like the Rebar, Supertool, etc. 

:tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #61 on: September 02, 2014, 07:24:26 PM

I stay to my opinion - oho makes a MT a Multi-TOOL, cause now you can use it with a certain usefullness. Before that MTs were for me more Multi-TOYs, not even worth to carry their weight.

I have to take issue with this!

Of all the MTs I've owned or tried,the only one that's had the tools I regularly use available as oho was the LM OHT...pity it had locking blades( making it more or less illegal to carry in the UK) and lacked scissors.

The only tools I've had which have offered truly useful tool sets as outside opening options have been the Victorinox ones...funny enough,they're practically illegal too!

As to the flicky Plier Gerbers,and butterfly opening LMs? The number of times I've needed an oho tool have been very limited( only one springs to mind,and funnily enough,I needed the pliers,and was carrying my MP425, and it ended up failing..)

For you,sir,they may have been Multi-toys,but for me they have been,and continue to be valuable assets in the retail enviroment I work in,and have been,and continue to be valuable assets in my hobby pursuits,which include my shooting!

:salute:

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, and I constantly find it enlightening to see what challenges other people find in their daily lives and what tools offer best solution. That's one of the many great things about this place.

JA's reviews are a great insight into how a tool performs in his environment, but he faces a great many challenges that I never do. Expand that across the full membership here, and a tool which is pathetic and useless to one person, is 100% perfect for another. I love the Spirit, and find it to be an excellent tool - for Mr Whippy it's next to useless. Kirky and JA had great results with the OHT in two completely different spheres of life, but for me it's sorely lacking in some respects and "wastes space" with tools I'll never need. I heard Cupboard and Gareth raving over one of the smaller drivers on one of the older tools at the UK Meet, as it was so good for electrical connections .... a job I'd very rarely face ... but when I fitted a light in a friends kitchen a week ago, I found my tool carry at the time completely ineffective and ended up using a Vic Manager to do the job as it was the only thing that was anywhere near suitable. If I'd carried the tool the guys were raving about (I think it was the Sideclip) or something else with a similar driver, I'd have had the job done in a fraction of the time

Whilst I'm as bad as the next man for slating a tool that somone else loves (eg Juice  :P), we do need to bear in mind that we all have different requirements, and there will be times when the tool we hate and love to decry, will perform many times better than the tool we rave about and carry daily. At times I do actually carry the tools I loathe (eg Juice  :rant:) because for the job/location/circumstances it's the better choice despite the many failings and deficiencies

Very well put :salute: 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: September 03, 2014, 02:40:52 AM
Also if it is of MUT design and the carabiner has the bottle opener how does it have a can opener. If they added one then it would have two bottle openers.

typically these patent applications aren't a full description of the tool loadout; they're just describing what tools might be included.

I'm very interested to see how this plays out. I sent LM a very detailed description of an idea I had for a Surge-based survival/bushcraft tool a couple years ago. I agree that this one sounds like it's based on the MUT, but I'm curious to see if there are any similarities. :)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #63 on: September 03, 2014, 03:59:18 AM

I stay to my opinion - oho makes a MT a Multi-TOOL, cause now you can use it with a certain usefullness. Before that MTs were for me more Multi-TOYs, not even worth to carry their weight.

I have to take issue with this!

Of all the MTs I've owned or tried,the only one that's had the tools I regularly use available as oho was the LM OHT...pity it had locking blades( making it more or less illegal to carry in the UK) and lacked scissors.

The only tools I've had which have offered truly useful tool sets as outside opening options have been the Victorinox ones...funny enough,they're practically illegal too!

As to the flicky Plier Gerbers,and butterfly opening LMs? The number of times I've needed an oho tool have been very limited( only one springs to mind,and funnily enough,I needed the pliers,and was carrying my MP425, and it ended up failing..)

For you,sir,they may have been Multi-toys,but for me they have been,and continue to be valuable assets in the retail enviroment I work in,and have been,and continue to be valuable assets in my hobby pursuits,which include my shooting!

:salute:

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, and I constantly find it enlightening to see what challenges other people find in their daily lives and what tools offer best solution. That's one of the many great things about this place.

JA's reviews are a great insight into how a tool performs in his environment, but he faces a great many challenges that I never do. Expand that across the full membership here, and a tool which is pathetic and useless to one person, is 100% perfect for another. I love the Spirit, and find it to be an excellent tool - for Mr Whippy it's next to useless. Kirky and JA had great results with the OHT in two completely different spheres of life, but for me it's sorely lacking in some respects and "wastes space" with tools I'll never need. I heard Cupboard and Gareth raving over one of the smaller drivers on one of the older tools at the UK Meet, as it was so good for electrical connections .... a job I'd very rarely face ... but when I fitted a light in a friends kitchen a week ago, I found my tool carry at the time completely ineffective and ended up using a Vic Manager to do the job as it was the only thing that was anywhere near suitable. If I'd carried the tool the guys were raving about (I think it was the Sideclip) or something else with a similar driver, I'd have had the job done in a fraction of the time

Whilst I'm as bad as the next man for slating a tool that somone else loves (eg Juice  :P), we do need to bear in mind that we all have different requirements, and there will be times when the tool we hate and love to decry, will perform many times better than the tool we rave about and carry daily. At times I do actually carry the tools I loathe (eg Juice  :rant:) because for the job/location/circumstances it's the better choice despite the many failings and deficiencies

Very well put :salute:

OR!  :think:
They(LM) use the c33"Crater" design and makes their own version of the Swiss Champ :whistle:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #64 on: September 03, 2014, 04:50:06 AM
Could it be.

Finally after all the garbage survival tools that have came out lately

Leatherman makes us a  really superb survival tool that someone could actually trust taking with them when going into the woods .

If it's MUT based it's got a lot going for it already.

All that and a whistle  :whistle:

I'm excited.  I hope we don't have to wait to long before we get to see it.
Defend the Hive!!!

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #65 on: September 03, 2014, 10:58:57 AM
My opinion is not so much away from the answers i´ve got - it´s just that i made other decisions from the given.

At work i usually have my fully loaded toolcart 2-5m around me, so i have generally no MT with me then. I carry my MTs with me the rest of my time, esspecially when i do things around the house - to have a selection of not as good as real but easily available tools at me, so i can fix little problems without getting the "real" tools first. But as i´m a tool-junkie (sort of) even at home a toolcart, or at least a portable tool-box is never more than 20-30m away.

Now, when i´ve crawled into a tigh corner, or i´m under the ceiling of my garage or the shed in my garden, to fix/modify or install let´s say a hose for my air pressure system ........ then most of the time i only have one hand free cause the other holds the hose, or holding me to prevent me from falling (not always room to place the ladder where it should be, often hanging sideways like a monkey  :think:). Then i have to choose - can i use the MT with one hand and get the job done? Sure, i could do the job also after i took a safe stand, opened the tool. But then it would be no immediate fix, then i would not need a MT cause in that time i probably would be able to get me the tool from the tool-cart, too.  ;) I´m not under time constraints then, just to lazy.  :rofl:

Granted - that effects mostly first the blades and second the pliers, the other tools are rarely used.

Another side effect is i can circumvent the laws regarding oho and locking knives (they are forbidden, as long as you have no accepted reason). If the blades are big enough to be usefull and still oho i don´t need to carry a seperate knife any longer. It´s much easier to argue with the LEOs that you need a tool than a single blade. And as i can dump the knife, it´s less weight to carry with me.  :D
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline geekdadrepair

Reply #66 on: September 03, 2014, 10:14:13 PM
:multi: survival mode anytime.  Peanut lighter , light, tweezers , 120 db whistle, firesteel and hack Rebar  :drool:
Woah! Do you have a thread on how you added that wingman/sidekick pocket clip to the rebar? I would love the rebar so much more with a pocket clip

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

ca Offline Dem

Reply #67 on: September 04, 2014, 03:03:03 AM
Just wanted to point out, you can OHO pretty much any MT I've ever seen. Even standard LM pliers are good at flicking open once you get the hang of how to do it.

That said, about two seconds of foresight gets rid of the need for OHO-anything, IMO.

Dem

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #68 on: September 04, 2014, 03:20:26 AM

That said, about two seconds of foresight gets rid of the need for OHO-anything, IMO.

Dem
Your right, fixed blades. :)

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #69 on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:58 AM
Just wanted to point out, you can OHO pretty much any MT I've ever seen. Even standard LM pliers are good at flicking open once you get the hang of how to do it.

Dem

well, then I should ALWAYS have OHO.

at best I have twosight,  (half of Foresight  :D  )
If I can help, let me know 

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: September 04, 2014, 03:59:58 AM

Dem

:facepalm:

ca Offline Dem

Reply #71 on: September 04, 2014, 04:42:36 AM

Dem
Your right, fixed blades. :)

Nate

Honestly, I only carry folding knives because carrying a fixed blade gets you dirty looks and makes people nervous in Canada. Otherwise I'd just use my Helle Futura. Nothing beats a full tang.

Dem

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #72 on: September 04, 2014, 04:46:18 AM
Please please please don't be junk.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline detron

Reply #73 on: September 04, 2014, 05:15:53 AM

Dem

did you expect impressive pontifications from me?  I hope not

:rofl:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: September 04, 2014, 05:34:20 AM

Dem

Using big words will always impress me.  :D

us Offline detron

Reply #75 on: September 04, 2014, 05:35:54 AM

Dem

THAT I CAN DO    <--big words  :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: September 04, 2014, 05:38:46 AM

Dem

THAT I CAN DO    <--big words  :D

32. Is there anything you can't do?  ;)

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: September 04, 2014, 09:15:53 PM
Back on topic..

I'm guessing production dates (if it makes it that far)  are probably years away :whistle:
Really hope its sooner. I'm more intrigued they've actually  patented a new design.

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #78 on: September 04, 2014, 09:19:06 PM
Back on topic..

I'm guessing production dates (if it makes it that far)  are probably years away :whistle:
Really hope its sooner. I'm more intrigued they've actually  patented a new design.

Production probably this time next year, but we should get to see a preview of it at Shot Show, January 2015. Hopefully we'll have someone there this year.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #79 on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:11 PM
Hopefully it will be available by next Spet.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: September 04, 2014, 11:45:02 PM
Well we're waiting for two new models this January. The REV and now the SIGNAL. So maybe the REV will be out sooner, maybe even before summer.

us Offline JAfromMn

Reply #81 on: September 19, 2014, 07:23:07 PM
Any new news about the signal
Defend the Hive!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: September 19, 2014, 07:35:35 PM

-.  ---, ... --- .-. .-. -.-- .--- --- . -.-
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #83 on: September 19, 2014, 08:07:18 PM
I will be first in line to buy one for my hiking pack :multi:
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: September 19, 2014, 09:11:46 PM

-.  ---, ... --- .-. .-. -.-- .--- --- . -.-

.- .-. . / .-- . / --. --- -. -. .- / ... - .- .-. - / ..- ... .. -. --. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / -. --- .-- ..--..

.-- . / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .... .- ...- . / - --- / .-- .- .. - / - .. .-.. .-.. / .--- .- -. ..- .- .-. -.-- / .- -. -.. / ... .... --- - / ... .... --- .-- / ..-. --- .-. / -- --- .-. . / .. -. ..-. ---

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #85 on: September 19, 2014, 09:13:20 PM
Someone wake me up when there's a PST3 :whistle:

SADLY I DOUBT WELL EVER SEE A PST 3
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: September 20, 2014, 12:26:48 AM
Removable Ceramic sharpening stick? That sounds like a good addition, has LM ever offered a any kind of sharpening device in the past, Ive used the removable file of the surge to sharpen, but I don't know if it was marketed as specifically a sharpening tool for the knife

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?
Reply #87 on: September 20, 2014, 02:12:05 AM
Someone wake me up when there's a PST3 :whistle:

SADLY I DOUBT WELL EVER SEE A PST 3
I think the rebar is in some ways a pst3. The supertool was originally a big pst. Then it got updated, then shrunk down to the rebar. But sadly it's still not a pst. The pulse is close to an updated pst though?

us Offline bdAmmo

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: September 20, 2014, 10:56:30 AM
Removable Ceramic sharpening stick? That sounds like a good addition, has LM ever offered a any kind of sharpening device in the past, Ive used the removable file of the surge to sharpen, but I don't know if it was marketed as specifically a sharpening tool for the knife

Yes, but not on any of their multitools. A couple of the large hunting knives Leatherman produced came with their own sharpening rods. The Nehalem and the Klamath are a couple that I know of that had the sharpeners.

us Offline JBW1

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: September 21, 2014, 04:14:47 AM

Hmmm, that's cool, Ive never come across or looked for a leatherman  hunting knife????, now I know they exist I'm gonna look for one. Its good that they are getting some fresh ideas, if they actually keep the sharpener after its on the market. Ive been trying to figure out how to add a rat tail file onto my surge for sharpening my chainsaw. So a removable rod sharpener may just get replaced and hacked ! :D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:23:30 AM by JBW1 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD