Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?

enki_ck · 1608 · 155662

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?
Reply #630 on: January 27, 2015, 12:30:08 PM
wikipedia:

The Richter magnitude scale (also Richter scale) assigns a magnitude number to quantify the energy released by an earthquake. The Richter scale is a base-10 logarithmic scale, which defines magnitude as the logarithm of the ratio of the amplitude of the seismic waves to an arbitrary, minor amplitude.
As measured with a seismometer, an earthquake that registers 5.0 on the Richter scale has a shaking amplitude 10 times that of an earthquake that registered 4.0, and thus corresponds to a release of energy 31.6 times that released by the lesser earthquake.

and

A change in power by a factor of 10 corresponds to a 10 dB change in level. A change in power by a factor of two approximately corresponds to a 3 dB change. A change in voltage by a factor of 10 results in a change in power by a factor of 100 and corresponds to a 20 dB change. A change in voltage ratio by a factor of two approximately corresponds to a 6 dB change.

A lot will depend on what you are actually measuring. The effect, the amplitude, the power and so on..

..but a small increase, in both units, brings a much larger increase in the result observed
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #631 on: January 27, 2015, 12:43:48 PM
Don't scientists make things complicated ....  :whistle:

:P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #632 on: January 27, 2015, 12:53:09 PM
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline BASguy

Reply #633 on: January 28, 2015, 02:18:11 AM
Oops

us Offline BASguy

Reply #634 on: January 28, 2015, 02:21:18 AM

As for removable parts... how do you expect to strike a ferro rod or use a sharpener on the blades of the tool unless they're removable? I don't like bits that can be lost, but there isn't much of an option in these cases.

I don't expect cheap little toys to be part of a $120 multi tool.  Breezy mentioned a screw on type replaceable rod..... OK.  Not sure it's necessary on a $120 tool, but OK.  Point being, if you're prepared enough to be out in the bush with a multi tool, I want that tool to be as useful as possible as a tool.  I've got a holder for my $3 whistle and ferro rod.  I call it a pocket.......  I'm OK with this novelty nonsense at $40.... not $120..... nope.  Disappointed in this......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #635 on: January 28, 2015, 03:32:48 AM
  Since Leatherman is putting the Signal off for later in the year, wonder if they'll end up with choice options of a Partially Serrated Blade & or Straight Edge like they had with the Skeletool? Would seem more practical.

Wonder what sheaths will be offered? Hopefully not another one of them short stubby bucket-type sheaths where the tool could come loose with rugged handling.

Still not liking that awl. Hopefully Leatherman will change that to something that could be used for sewing & hole making. Perhaps Leatherman should send me a bus ticket/taxi service so I can personally go over and show them how real mean use awls? Not these urban cowboys posing as adventurists.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #636 on: January 28, 2015, 05:31:38 AM
Some people are better at blowing than others...

Man, ain't that the truth. I knew this one gal..

Eh.. Maybe this isn't the place for that story.
G

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #637 on: January 28, 2015, 08:55:10 AM
  Since Leatherman is putting the Signal off for later in the year, wonder if they'll end up with choice options of a Partially Serrated Blade & or Straight Edge like they had with the Skeletool? Would seem more practical.

Wonder what sheaths will be offered? Hopefully not another one of them short stubby bucket-type sheaths where the tool could come loose with rugged handling.

Still not liking that awl. Hopefully Leatherman will change that to something that could be used for sewing & hole making. Perhaps Leatherman should send me a bus ticket/taxi service so I can personally go over and show them how real mean use awls? Not these urban cowboys posing as adventurists.
In one of the videos the lady shows the scratches on the plier head and states that this is a prototype and that there is still a lot of work to be done, so I wouldn't be surprised if there would be some changes still.

Although its already on the Website. But this could be Marketing vs. Development.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #638 on: January 28, 2015, 09:08:09 AM
In one of the videos the lady shows the scratches on the plier head ...

You'd think their manufacturing dept. learned a lesson from scratched pliers on Waves and Surges, wouldn't you?  :think:

How long has it been now...like 11 years or so?

:td:
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #639 on: January 28, 2015, 09:14:49 AM
In one of the videos the lady shows the scratches on the plier head ...

You'd think their manufacturing dept. learned a lesson from scratched pliers on Waves and Surges, wouldn't you?  :think:

How long has it been now...like 11 years or so?

:td:
I don't understand your comment. She especially showed the scratches to put emphasis that the tool still needs work.

Wait, am I defending Leatherman :think: :ahhh it's all junk, junk I say :viking: :rofl:
And that was it for my daily smiley quota.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #640 on: January 28, 2015, 09:30:06 AM
I don't understand your comment...

I didn't think that was that hard to understand, sorry.

Open your Wave or Surge. Have a look at the pliers surface where handles close over on folding. If there are no marks, then consider yourself a minority  ;)

It's been like that since 2004. Brand new tools marred on first opening of the handles. Most of us don't care and have learnt to live with it, although it shouldn't be that hard of a fix at the factory.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #641 on: January 28, 2015, 02:44:53 PM
I don't understand your comment...

I didn't think that was that hard to understand, sorry.

Open your Wave or Surge. Have a look at the pliers surface where handles close over on folding. If there are no marks, then consider yourself a minority  ;)

It's been like that since 2004. Brand new tools marred on first opening of the handles. Most of us don't care and have learnt to live with it, although it shouldn't be that hard of a fix at the factory.

And yet people complain that the Spirit doesn't lay flat on the table closed. :whistle:

>:D

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #642 on: January 28, 2015, 05:35:00 PM
Who?
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline BASguy

Reply #643 on: January 29, 2015, 03:14:45 AM

Who?

Go to that thread..... Lot's of static about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #644 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:31 AM
Sorry leatherman buy you failed miserably ...again.

I'll take my ST300 and a "smiths pocket pal x2" any day over the signal and spend the 40$ I saved on other gear that's actually useful.
I have more tool, better tools and money to spare than some gimmicky toy that's playing catch up in an already saturated "survival bushcraft" market.
That combo will do everything the signal is supposed to do and more. All while doing a better job at it too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:48:35 AM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #645 on: January 29, 2015, 09:15:10 AM

Who?

:rofl:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #646 on: January 29, 2015, 11:05:24 AM

Who?

Kampfer forgot to add a ;) to the post. He got the reference. :D

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #647 on: January 29, 2015, 11:22:12 AM
Sorry leatherman buy you failed miserably ...again.

I'll take my ST300 and a "smiths pocket pal x2" any day over the signal and spend the 40$ I saved on other gear that's actually useful.
I have more tool, better tools and money to spare than some gimmicky toy that's playing catch up in an already saturated "survival bushcraft" market.
That combo will do everything the signal is supposed to do and more. All while doing a better job at it too.

If you have a ST300 they didn't fail so miserably. They managed to sell you one tool.
 and the signal is a new product, even on the saturated market it will sell.
And yes we can have better for less. But it have a hammer !

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #648 on: January 29, 2015, 12:10:22 PM
what they sold me is the current version of a tool I was looking at 20yrs ago when I got my first Gerber MP. Now 20 years and 3 heavily worn MPs later I decided to give them a try.

Their current "big new" offerings have all fallen flat. I'm not talking core product. I'm talking about niche' specialties. They have been groping around with ways to expand to more specialty markets, which I can respect. But they seam to be hit and miss with more failures in their big premiers and more successes in their backbenchers. Their SKU attrition just sees to be higher than normal lately.

I have great respect for any company that gets out their and really tries. Unfortunately they look to be in a new product slump at the moment. It happens to everyone at some point. They'll snap out of it and wow us again.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:14:36 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #649 on: January 29, 2015, 06:21:00 PM
I really applaud Leatherman for their efforts. I was less than impressed with the snowboarding, surfing, and skateboarding stuff but atleast they are trying. And honestly, some of that stuff was pretty innovative, even if not terribly useful. For example, the Style nesting inside of a one piece tool. The OHT is an awesome tool. The Wingman and Sidekick are awesome tools for the money. The Leap is an awesome tool. They are taking chances on niche products, because they feel that they have the general purpose market nailed down. And honestly, that side of it is pretty well saturated.

I am impressed with the Signal and can't wait to get one. The only thing I think it could use is a place to keep a fish hook, some line, a needle, some tweezers, etc... But I am willing to bet the sheath will have space for something like that.

"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #650 on: January 29, 2015, 09:13:20 PM

Who?

Kampfer forgot to add a ;) to the post. He got the reference. :D
;)

us Offline Jfowler1

Reply #651 on: January 29, 2015, 10:39:22 PM

I have great respect for any company that gets out their and really tries. Unfortunately they look to be in a new product slump at the moment. It happens to everyone at some point. They'll snap out of it and wow us again.

This post inspired me to look at the tool timeline on leathermans website.

2004 was really a banner year with the introduction of New Wave/Charge as well as the Blast family.  2005 launched the large versions of those tools with the Surge and Core.
2006 introduced the TTi (my fave) and the AL/ALX.  There was a small draught before Skele appeared in 2008. Then it got spotty.  MUT was interesting but alienating, but the last really good launch was 2012 with OHT and Rebar.  2012 was the year I got started on this obsession, so you can imagine my disappointment over the last three years watching YouTube videos of one crummy SHOT show after another.  Last year's Surge was nice, but it wasn't much more than a clean up of the original.

Count my vote as underwhelmed.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #652 on: January 30, 2015, 03:13:18 AM
... There was a small draught before Skele appeared in 2008. Then it got spotty.  MUT was interesting but alienating, but the last really good launch was 2012 with OHT and Rebar.  ...

You missed probably one of the most notable ones of the recent LM era, the venerable ST300. There's simply nothing like it in its heavy-duty, inner-tool design range, bar Swisstool and it was the model that got me back into LM collecting. It fixed some issues I had with ST200 and Core had, too. I own 3 of those, S/S, BO and EOD, love them both to bits  8)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #653 on: January 30, 2015, 06:25:26 AM
... There was a small draught before Skele appeared in 2008. Then it got spotty.  MUT was interesting but alienating, but the last really good launch was 2012 with OHT and Rebar.  ...

You missed probably one of the most notable ones of the recent LM era, the venerable ST300. There's simply nothing like it in its heavy-duty, inner-tool design range, bar Swisstool and it was the model that got me back into LM collecting. It fixed some issues I had with ST200 and Core had, too. I own 3 of those, S/S, BO and EOD, love them both to bits  8)

I'd agree the ST300 is an outstanding tool.  I thought I would never leave my Surge behind but after getting my ST300 I find myself enjoying it more and more. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #654 on: January 30, 2015, 06:32:10 AM
We need some more tools in the Juice size. I think a mini Wave or mini Rebar the same size as a Juice CS4 would be amazing. I was surprised to see they did not adopt the Rebar head into the Wave this year.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #655 on: January 30, 2015, 09:32:43 AM
Agree...and what a great fiddle factor those would bring, too  :D

I'd also like to see the Wave V3 but I don't expect it before 2016 at least, the problem with existing model is that it's just close to perfect an MT can be. Very few points you can fail it on. But we're a finicky crowd indeed, we always want that next best thing in MTs  ;)

us Offline Jfowler1

Reply #656 on: January 30, 2015, 01:33:34 PM

You missed probably one of the most notable ones of the recent LM era, the venerable ST300.

Oh man... How did I forget the ST300? 

I have owned 2 in the past, but I found it was not the right tool for me.  In my line of work (manufacturing/distribution), sheath carry is not appropriate.  I found it too big for pocket carry, so I used to keep it in my computer bag - which did me no good when I left my office to go into the warehouse.

In my situation, it was like the perfect tool for a kitchen drawer, but that would mean it spent most of its time collecting dust, so I sold them off.

But I agree, it has a fantastic tool load, and it should get extra credit for introducing the replaceable wire cutters to the leatherman line.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #657 on: January 30, 2015, 07:24:17 PM
Agree...and what a great fiddle factor those would bring, too  :D

I'd also like to see the Wave V3 but I don't expect it before 2016 at least, the problem with existing model is that it's just close to perfect an MT can be. Very few points you can fail it on. But we're a finicky crowd indeed, we always want that next best thing in MTs  ;)

not to mention that as soon as they release the 3rd gen Wave with the new plier head, Rebar sales will likely see a sharp decrease. ;)

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #658 on: January 30, 2015, 07:31:12 PM
I gifted out 4 Rebars since I got my V3 Wave from B12. ;)

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #659 on: January 30, 2015, 07:40:53 PM
I gifted out 4 Rebars since I got my V3 Wave from B12. ;)

Rebar hoarder!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69