Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?

enki_ck · 1608 · 155758

us Offline sjdep97

Re: Leatherman Signal - is LM making a survival multi?
Reply #840 on: February 25, 2015, 04:15:23 PM
It does look interesting and is a better offering than some of the other stuff they came up with for the new year. I will probably buy me after they have been out awhile. :multi:
NRA Life member

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #841 on: February 25, 2015, 04:41:33 PM
Anyone contemplating throwing your money away on one of these just know you can buy a brand new Swiss Champ for just $51  :pok: here
SAW

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #842 on: February 25, 2015, 05:10:16 PM
Anyone contemplating throwing your money away on one of these just know you can buy a brand new Swiss Champ for just $51  :pok: here

Damn good knife.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #843 on: February 25, 2015, 06:17:10 PM
I am disappointed how LM usually put a short blade in the tool when there is plenty of room inside for a longer blade.
Surge, Skeletool and now Signal.  2.6" seen like is the magic number for LM's blades.
I am pretty sure there is room for a 3" blade on Signal.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:20:07 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #844 on: February 25, 2015, 06:22:28 PM
I am disappointed how LM usually put a short blade in the tool when there is plenty of room inside for a longer blade.
Surge, Skeletool and now Signal.  2.6" seen like is the magic number for LM's blades.
:facepalm: signal

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #845 on: February 25, 2015, 09:25:53 PM
My Surge has a 3 inch blades.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #846 on: February 25, 2015, 10:10:28 PM

Nate

You´re not alone, mine too.

That´s one of the reasons i stopped carrying a seperate folder. With something like the flimsier Wave i still would carry a additional folder.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #847 on: February 25, 2015, 10:23:24 PM
The Signal looks like an awesome tool if they changed the loadout.  A scissor comparable to a Vic 93mm scissor would be awesome in place of the saw.

I think a saw is essential on an outdoor/"survival" tool. Although scissors would be nice as well, I wouldn't want them at the expense of the saw.

ca Offline Ariena

• Process Engineer
Reply #848 on: February 25, 2015, 10:25:03 PM

Nate

Mine too!
MOBY DICK IS NOT A SOCIAL DISEASE

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #849 on: February 25, 2015, 10:28:05 PM

I said I don't hike with a multi, I carry a SAK and that's it, and I only take a Multi camping because it's useful to have a tool that has pliers, drivers, and a file just in case equipment breaks down.  Like I've said, I have a firestarter and a sharpener that both probably work ten times better than that dinky thing on the Signal and they weigh practically nothing.

I don't see a reason to replace my rebar with the Signal just for the sake of doing so.  That's my problem, LM wants me to do just that, because it's there.

The Signal looks like an awesome tool if they changed the loadout.  A scissor comparable to a Vic 93mm scissor would be awesome in place of the saw.  And instead of a ferro rod they could use that space for bit storage.   I might buy one for work because it has an appealing loadout as it is for what I do, but I would never need a firestarter/sharpener on it.  It's a gimmick.  I can't stand the new "Leatherman Sport" thing.  It seems like wishful thinking and I don't see it lasting long. 

I was just teasing - a SAK and a multitool are basically the same thing (although I do differentiate, just like most on MTO). So when you say you don't hike with a MT, but you have a SAK   :think:

:rofl:

The Signal is definitely a polarizing tool, and it seems a lot of people aren't going to get one just based on principle, be it LM catering to consumer demand or what have you. But I do think it's going to be a good performer and quite handy.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #850 on: February 25, 2015, 11:12:21 PM
How about sending out some prototypes and lets see what this tool can do.   :pok: LM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #851 on: February 26, 2015, 01:25:22 AM
The Signal looks like an awesome tool if they changed the loadout.  A scissor comparable to a Vic 93mm scissor would be awesome in place of the saw.

I think a saw is essential on an outdoor/"survival" tool. Although scissors would be nice as well, I wouldn't want them at the expense of the saw.

I agree that the Saw is essential for Outdoor use, maybe LM could come up with an EDC version with scissors.

I said I don't hike with a multi, I carry a SAK and that's it, and I only take a Multi camping because it's useful to have a tool that has pliers, drivers, and a file just in case equipment breaks down.  Like I've said, I have a firestarter and a sharpener that both probably work ten times better than that dinky thing on the Signal and they weigh practically nothing.

I don't see a reason to replace my rebar with the Signal just for the sake of doing so.  That's my problem, LM wants me to do just that, because it's there.

The Signal looks like an awesome tool if they changed the loadout.  A scissor comparable to a Vic 93mm scissor would be awesome in place of the saw.  And instead of a ferro rod they could use that space for bit storage.   I might buy one for work because it has an appealing loadout as it is for what I do, but I would never need a firestarter/sharpener on it.  It's a gimmick.  I can't stand the new "Leatherman Sport" thing.  It seems like wishful thinking and I don't see it lasting long. 

I was just teasing - a SAK and a multitool are basically the same thing (although I do differentiate, just like most on MTO). So when you say you don't hike with a MT, but you have a SAK   :think:

The Signal is definitely a polarizing tool, and it seems a lot of people aren't going to get one just based on principle, be it LM catering to consumer demand or what have you. But I do think it's going to be a good performer and quite handy.

Now we're splitting hairs lol.  I don't carry a pliers based Multi when hiking due to weight.  I've never needed pliers while hiking, that's not to say I wouldn't ever, but in my experience the weight isn't necessary.  I usually carry a swisschamp or some other SAK with a Saw.  Now that I think about it, I don't really even need that.  A good fixed blade coupled with my folding gerber Saw is all I really need.  I guess I carry the SAK more out of habit. 

I do think the Signal looks cool, and I could use it at work.  I use the saw on my rebar for cutting PVC all the time, and the bit driver is perfect for what I do.  The only thing I don't like is the outdoor marketing and associated price hike.  It's not worth that much, it's not even worth $80 to me when I can get a Wave for around $65 all day long and the Wave comes with a file and scissors!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #852 on: February 26, 2015, 01:45:22 AM
I don't carry a pliers based Multi when hiking due to weight.  I've never needed pliers while hiking, that's not to say I wouldn't ever, but in my experience the weight isn't necessary.  I usually carry a swisschamp or some other SAK with a Saw.

Same here (except Ranger for me - massive saw :) )

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #853 on: February 26, 2015, 03:04:24 AM

Nate
There is room for a blade longer than 3.1" on a 4.5" tool

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #854 on: February 26, 2015, 03:13:25 AM
<- I bet someone here is going to replace the saw with a Surge scissors.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #855 on: February 26, 2015, 03:22:16 AM

Well, I hope they have fun cutting up branches with those scissors. ;)

Why would anyone dismantle a Surge?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #856 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:23 AM

Lighten the load due to back problems? :whistle:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #857 on: February 26, 2015, 11:17:20 AM
There is room for a blade longer than 3.1" on a 4.5" tool

On a Surge .... a little bit, but not that much.

Free space between tip and those Endpieces around the pivot (measured just with a ruler, to lazy to go and pick the digi caliper):

2-3 mm on the serrated blade, 5 mm on the plain edge. Then metal would scratch on metal, so less free space in real. For around real 5 mm more the endpieces would need to be hollowed out, and maybe the pivots slimmed down. Not sure if additional 5 mm would be worth to weaken the construction.

On the other hand - the skeletool would be greatly improved with some mm bigger blade.

Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #858 on: February 26, 2015, 11:39:10 AM

Sorry, what was the question?  :pok:

us Offline BASguy

Reply #859 on: February 27, 2015, 12:23:17 AM

I agree that the Saw is essential for Outdoor use, maybe LM could come up with an EDC version with scissors.

Now we're splitting hairs lol.  I don't carry a pliers based Multi when hiking due to weight.  I've never needed pliers while hiking, that's not to say I wouldn't ever, but in my experience the weight isn't necessary.  I usually carry a swisschamp or some other SAK with a Saw.  Now that I think about it, I don't really even need that.  A good fixed blade coupled with my folding gerber Saw is all I really need.  I guess I carry the SAK more out of habit. 

I do think the Signal looks cool, and I could use it at work.  I use the saw on my rebar for cutting PVC all the time, and the bit driver is perfect for what I do.  The only thing I don't like is the outdoor marketing and associated price hike.  It's not worth that much, it's not even worth $80 to me when I can get a Wave for around $65 all day long and the Wave comes with a file and scissors!

I think it's pretty clear they jumped on this initial price point believing the survival/prepper crowd will carry the bulk of the sales initially.  I'd certainly think the price will drop significantly, but who knows :shrug: I'm sure there will be plenty of people sucked into dropping $120 on this thing.
If marketing research says there is money to be made, it's kinda dumb not to go after it.  I just wish they'd concentrate some of their resources on real tradesman tools, or even upgrades to existing lines (replaceable cutters on the Wave ring a bell?).  It would be great to see them doing something in this area in conjunction with all this other skateboard/snowboard/survival/jewelry nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #860 on: February 27, 2015, 01:27:47 AM

Sorry, what was the question?  :pok:

I mean as a donor for other MTs. Dismantling a Surge to improve it is perfectly acceptable.
Anyway, that could be anyone in that photo.  :shrug:

Smartarse
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:37:47 AM by Syncop8r »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #861 on: February 27, 2015, 04:17:13 AM

I think it's pretty clear they jumped on this initial price point believing the survival/prepper crowd will carry the bulk of the sales initially.  I'd certainly think the price will drop significantly, but who knows :shrug: I'm sure there will be plenty of people sucked into dropping $120 on this thing.
If marketing research says there is money to be made, it's kinda dumb not to go after it. I just wish they'd concentrate some of their resources on real tradesman tools, or even upgrades to existing lines (replaceable cutters on the Wave ring a bell?).  It would be great to see them doing something in this area in conjunction with all this other skateboard/snowboard/survival/jewelry nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #862 on: March 01, 2015, 03:26:40 PM
I realize, in my posts on this subject, that I've been critical of Leatherman's current marketing direction.  I will note that my position on that has morphed somewhat by understanding the goals, challenges, and objectives of growing a major business of this magnitude.  I want to be clear in stating that I think this is a class company and a true American icon.  This company represents the kind of ingenuity that makes us great as a nation.  Criticism is at times both necessary and helpful.  The voice of dissension helps to keep focus.  I hope Leatherman hears and responds to the calls from the core base of their tool users, but more importantly I hope they continue to grow and succeed so future generations can experience them as we have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #863 on: March 11, 2015, 01:13:44 AM
I'm still excited. I think this will replace my Skelly as an edc.

Plus a 3d printer could be REALLY interesting if someone wanted to make something for the rod and sharpening peices.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #864 on: March 11, 2015, 01:16:48 AM

Plus a 3d printer could be REALLY interesting if someone wanted to make something for the rod and sharpening peices.

So you'll be our test mule!?!?!?!
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #865 on: March 11, 2015, 01:17:49 AM

Sure

On another note, I have REALLY BEEN considering making a new blade for my skeletool. As well as making it with a flip trigger.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #866 on: March 11, 2015, 02:30:09 AM

Sure

On another note, I have REALLY BEEN considering making a new blade for my skeletool. As well as making it with a flip trigger.

A what now?  :think:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #867 on: March 11, 2015, 02:31:49 AM

Sure

One of them fancy finger flippers? My ZT566 has one and I love it.

I'll do a thread on it as well as my EDC binder bag.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #868 on: March 11, 2015, 02:36:23 AM

Sure

Isn't the second handle in the way?

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #869 on: March 11, 2015, 02:40:02 AM

Sure

Isn't the second handle in the way?
Yeah but this won't be on the "bottom" cutting edge.

It will technically be a low thumbstud

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD