Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The ideal Mechanic's MT

Offline Max Archer

The ideal Mechanic's MT
on: September 01, 2014, 02:19:50 AM
I can't possibly be the only working mechanic on MTO, and I'd guess I'm not the only one who isn't entirely satisfied by the tools on the market.

In this thread, let's brainstorm about what the ideal mechanic's multitool would be, and suggest existing options that come close. Enthusiasts who work on their cars are welcome to chime in as well.

I'm not looking at this as a do-all tool, but rather something to supplement a full complement of dedicated tools by allowing us quick access to important but small and infrequently-used (compared to ratchets, sockets, wrenches, etc) tools.

Here's my outline:

Essential features:
-Quality pliers, more toward needlenose than blunt.
-Durable wire cutters, capable of handling safety wire and welding rod. Replaceable would be awesome.
-Non-slip handles
-Outside opening for at least the most essential tools.
-Useable with gloves.
-Long screwdrivers or bit adapter, high quality and not too small.
-A wide, strong flathead for prying and for working with larger screws that require decent torque.
-Plain edge and maybe serrated knives, but no combo edge.
-Easy to clean and made of rust-resistant materials

Would be nice:
-Some form of "dikes" or diagonal cutters, for cutting wire and especially zip ties.
-A hooked strap cutter is an amazing thing in the shop, I use the one in my Benchmade Triage quite heavily. Many components come packaged with those thick plastic straps and nothing works as well as the hook cutter, and it's also awesome for opening wire sheathing, boxes, cutting tape, and more.
-A small pointed or hooked pick. (For removing O-rings. Anybody who does oil changes on German cars with cartridge filters knows this need well.)
-A bit adapter which can take some form of standard bits, or which at least includes a good selection of bits. Torx bits are essential on many newer cars and a 1/4" socket adapter would also be quite handy.
-A dedicated prying tool.
-Perhaps a razor blade holder of some sort would be better than the standard knife.

Don't want:
-A dedicated file or saw. Neither gets used much, they take up a lot of space, and dedicated tools are vastly superior.
-Blunt or locking pliers. Again, not used that much and if you need them, real ones are usually around.
-Scissors.
-Can opener.
-Gimmicky wrenches.

Right now, the Gerber MP1 seems about as close as it gets, but reviews have been pretty mixed.

de Offline Lichtbote

Re: The ideal Mechanic's MT
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 03:37:15 AM
In my opinion the best MT atm for real working is the LM Surge.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:57:29 PM
As a fellow mechanic, I can say I don't use a multi tool when I'm working, I have tried numerous multi tools on various jobs but it just doesn't work for me. I just find it easier to get the correct tool needed for the job at hand straight from my toolbox. The only use a multi tool gets at work for me is the blade, for opening parts packaging.  :D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:00:53 PM by DazMechanical »
darren

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:03:47 PM
I have to add to my post that my answer is a "if"-answer, if i would use a MT for real work also.

But in fact i have a toolcart next to me, so i have better and always the right tool at hand - so i don´t use a MT at work myself.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:57:29 PM
LM Surge. I use it all time out in the field to work on equipment and tractors. Don't have much room on a tractor to carry a shop full of tools to work on them. Just some of the basics. Between those and my Surge, I can get it working enough to limp it back to the shop.

Nate

SEND IT!

dk Offline Donpipi

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:53:08 PM
I work as a mecanic on construction equipment and i absolutlig love both my lm st300 and surge, i carry one of them everyday they both do a Great job when im in a pinch i the field :multi:
I'ts nice to have... And no I dont have to much junk

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 10:45:19 PM
LM Surge. I use it all time out in the field to work on equipment and tractors. Don't have much room on a tractor to carry a shop full of tools to work on them. Just some of the basics. Between those and my Surge, I can get it working enough to limp it back to the shop.

The first thing that happens when a tractor gets in to our yard is have a tool-box holder fitted  :whistle:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:48:18 PM

The first thing that happens when a tractor gets in to our yard is have a tool-box holder fitted  :whistle:
So does mine, but I still can't pack a shop worth of tools in it. Just some of the basics.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 10:57:05 PM
See my Great Hangar Tryout Thread in the Leatherman section.

I find I use my pliers for gripping and cutting, my screwdrivers for turning, and my knife/scissors for opening parts bags and packages more than anything else.  I don't use the bolt gripping section of my pliers much; you use a wrench for that.

Diagonal cutters would be nice.  I would buy and use a MT based on a pair of dykes.  I could even see a pair of tools based on a set of needle nose pliers and dykes.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

us Offline Hyatt181

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 07:33:50 PM
I put together my own sak for what I wanted in a multitool.

Everything gets used on a regular basis accept the magnifier. I have used it 2 times since I built the knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like bowls, they contain chaos.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 02:18:28 AM
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Everything gets used on a regular basis accept the magnifier. I have used it 2 times since I built the knife.

Very nice, I like it.  :tu:

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 02:21:51 AM
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

No Bottle Opener / Flat screwdriver?
darren

us Offline Hyatt181

Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 03:36:15 AM
Sorry they are there. Just didn't open them up.

I like bowls, they contain chaos.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 04:41:15 AM
 :D
darren

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!