Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Massive Celebrity Phone Hack/Photo Leak (discussion about the event)

Rux · 81 · 3164

us Offline Rux

Our overseas friends might not be seeing the headlines, but numerous celebrities in the U.S. had hundreds of raunchy personal cell phone photos suddenly leaked on the web in the last 24 hours. There's a firestorm brewing and it's a publicists worst nightmare.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/jennifer-lawrence-victoria-justice-alleged-nude-photo-hacking-n192901

Oscar-winner Jennifer Lawrence and other female actresses lashed out against an online bulletin board that posted what it claimed was compromising pictures of them and dozens of other celebrities, which were obtained from a massive hacking campaign targeting Apple's iCloud storage service.

Am I the only one that has absolutely zero sympathy for these people?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
I'd seen the story on the BBC,but TBH,I have little or no interest one way or the other.

At my work,I've met,served or seen many sports,TV,or movie stars,and my view is that what they do,within the same level of reason that applies to us,is their own business :shrug:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
I actually discussed this with a colleague today.

To a certain extent, I can understand the "need", for that kind of pictures, but having them uploaded to a online cloud-service, when you're a high-profile Hollywood actor... Aren't you kinda asking for it then?
Photos of that nature, should either be kept in a seperate app, that doesn't communicate with the cloud-service, or be kept on a USB-drive, again, only to be viewed on a computer that doesn't automatically sync with a cloud-service.

With that being said... I agree with you, WildJ3 - no sympathy. It's the cost of being a public figure.

us Offline Rux

One of my coworkers was acting very sympathetic that their privacy was violated. Sure, it was. But they were taking the photos, texting them around, having them go through iCloud, etc.

The outcome is their own fault if you ask me and goes back to the old "if you're not ok with the rest of the world seeing it, don't put it online".

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Sooo ... a lot of celebrities are going to be switching over to Android it seems. >:D

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Experience from work has taught me, "If you don't want your smurf out there, don't put it anywhere near the internet" :facepalm:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
... my view is that what they do,within the same level of reason that applies to us,is their own business :shrug:

Absolutely.  Just because they're famous doesn't mean they shouldn't have some privacy.

Experience from work has taught me, "If you don't want your smurf out there, don't put it anywhere near the internet" :facepalm:

This too.  in spades.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
... my view is that what they do,within the same level of reason that applies to us,is their own business :shrug:

Absolutely.  Just because they're famous doesn't mean they shouldn't have some privacy.

This too.  in spades.

I agree. Just because they are famous doe snot mean they should not have the same privacy as us mere "civilians."  :D With that said they should know they will be targeted do to being famous and take measures to protect themselves against these type of things.

Once it goes on the internet in any way, shape, or form you better consider it public information. 
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Sooo ... a lot of celebrities are going to be switching over to Android it seems. >:D

.... owned by a company that's made it's vast fortune by spying on people for profit :pok: ...

Why oh why do people trust the internet with anything? I ditched my Nokia Windows phone in two days when I realised it stores all your contact details online on a Live account instead of on the phone  :o and that was just contact numbers, not nuddy photos  :facepalm:

Stupid people have been exploited - so that's a :twak: for the hackers and a :twak: for the morons

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Best way to prevent raunchy photos/videos from being leaked is to not take any.

Being a celebrity (Pamela Anderson/Tommy Lee for example) the track history in the past rarely turns out well.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

no Offline Grathr

Re: Massive Celebrity Phone Hack/Photo Leak (discussion about the event)
Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 12:10:19 AM
Another thing is that many of these videos and pics has a tendency to appear, just when many of theese celebreties are in need of a carreer boost, and almost all og them has benefited from it...

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 12:18:41 AM
as a "White hat" hacker, I have a negative feeling about people who do illegal hacking (Crackers being a more correct moniker ).
as a society we have managed to blame the hacked person/group/corporation, instead of the evil doers.
I am not saying that if a company did not have a plan, and people for network security that they are blameless, but no level of effort make you impervious, especially when you consider that users might be part of the weak link.  no matter how strong your security is, people will put their password under their keyboard, and people will also let someone through a door if their arms are full.

Now, do I think people should have pictures like this on the cloud?  no,  however today's generation  equate the cloud the same way previous generations think about a locked box in their house.  based on marketing there is an expected level of privacy, however, evil doers are very motivated, and are usually the ones who find vulnerabilities before the security engineers do.

BlackHat conference is such an education to the White hat community, that thousands attend this conference, and many positive uses or changes come from this. 
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:29:43 AM
I think a much safer way to keep your naked photos safe is to be remarkably unattractive.

For example, a nude photo of me has been online for years and no one seems to care.  :P

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline gorbag

• Tapatalk User
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 01:42:14 AM
I don't blame the victims for having taken the photos, consenting adults and all.  If these sorts of things are what they like, that's their business.  It's not like they were specifically trying to announce the presence of the photos.  What I blame is the cult of celebrity.  Yes, it's true, actresses sometimes don't wear ANY CLOTHES AT ALL!

Does anyone sometimes wish for pre-internet days?  All the geewhiz technology seems to have security failings left and right, and while neeto and all, seems to open up realms of financial and personal ills unnecessarily.
The world belongs to the funkiest.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 01:53:30 AM
I think a much safer way to keep your naked photos safe is to be remarkably unattractive.

For example, a nude photo of me has been online for years and no one seems to care.  :P

Def

Oh, we care.  We're horrified we might come across it!  :ahhh
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline detron

Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 02:28:59 AM

Def

that was the catalyst that got Google to add a "safe Search" option.

us Offline Rux

Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 02:31:42 AM
Does anyone sometimes wish for pre-internet days?  All the geewhiz technology seems to have security failings left and right, and while neeto and all, seems to open up realms of financial and personal ills unnecessarily.

Not so much in the way of security but with all the information thats now out there coupled with online bullying, my fiance and I say all the time that we're thankful there was no social media when we were in high school.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 02:45:56 AM

Def

that was the catalyst that got Google to add a "safe Search" option.

:rofl:

Sent from the land of the long white cloud.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 03:12:55 AM

Def

Jealous. ..... :P

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 03:13:27 AM

Def

You are just mad because you liked it   :rofl:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 03:21:08 AM
 :twak:  Don't forget which moderator is close to the mob planting grounds in the Meadowlands......  :P
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline detron

Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 03:31:25 AM
:twak:  Don't forget which moderator is close to the mob planting grounds in the Meadowlands......  :P

wow,  you are MADDER than I thought,  You must have REALLY liked it.    :rofl:

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 04:07:34 AM
I am embarrassed to report that some pics of my naked Juice XE6 were also leaked. 

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 04:10:32 AM
I am embarrassed to report that some pics of my naked Juice XE6 were also leaked. 

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl: :rofl:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 04:29:40 AM
 :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 04:42:30 AM
I have sympathy for them to an extent.  But if you are ok taking pictures like that in the first place, then it should follow that you understand the possible risk of them being leaked.  That doesn't mean it's right to go after that stuff, because in my mind, hacking the accounts of those involved is exactly like taking a shot through a bedroom window, it's the action of a scumbag. 

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 04:56:48 AM

Now, do I think people should have pictures like this on the cloud?  no,  however today's generation  equate the cloud the same way previous generations think about a locked box in their house.  based on marketing there is an expected level of privacy, however, evil doers are very motivated, and are usually the ones who find vulnerabilities before the security engineers do.

BlackHat conference is such an education to the White hat community, that thousands attend this conference, and many positive uses or changes come from this. 

I think it's a 'mutual' fault on two sides--one side are those whom pry into other's privacy by hacking into the computer to get personal information/pictures, then boardcast it over the net.  It leave the person or his/her family vulnerable.

The other side is victims, whom may or may not know this may happen, and silly enough to think Big Apple is going to take care of everyone.  I am sure some of them probably didn't know exactly how those clouds work.  Or worst, they might have turned off the 'cloud' feature, and Apple is still collecting their data and hence causing this leak.  :think:

Def

Nah, Grant, we do care.  I am sure many of us have yours in our harddisks.  And the funny part, if someone post one of your naughty pix, it will be forever linked to the 'celebrity photo leak' when people click google "image"  >:D  :rofl:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 10:21:16 AM
as a "White hat" hacker, I have a negative feeling about people who do illegal hacking (Crackers being a more correct moniker ).
as a society we have managed to blame the hacked person/group/corporation, instead of the evil doers.
I am not saying that if a company did not have a plan, and people for network security that they are blameless, but no level of effort make you impervious, especially when you consider that users might be part of the weak link.  no matter how strong your security is, people will put their password under their keyboard, and people will also let someone through a door if their arms are full.

Yup, it was a brute force attack, so by having a slightly more complicated password, this could have been prevented. Of course the iCloud should not allow that many attempts, so Apple is to blame too.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline detron

Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 03:37:52 PM

Yup, it was a brute force attack, so by having a slightly more complicated password, this could have been prevented. Of course the iCloud should not allow that many attempts, so Apple is to blame too.
Most brute force is done offline.   You get the hash and run lists of possible passwords through the same encryption algorithm as the encrypted data used.   When you get a hash that matches a hash you have,  then what every input gave you that hash is the password, for that user.   

sent from phone

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 04:04:39 PM

Most brute force is done offline.   You get the hash and run lists of possible passwords through the same encryption algorithm as the encrypted data used.   When you get a hash that matches a hash you have,  then what every input gave you that hash is the password, for that user.   

sent from phone
True, but from my understanding, they exploited a flaw in the iPhone locating app and actually did it online. But thats just what I read, small chance that Apple will tell us what really happened.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%