Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

China made Gerber

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

China made Gerber
on: September 03, 2014, 02:40:29 PM
these are China made Gerber list. please update..thanks

1. Gerber Dime
2. Gerber Balance
3. Gerber Diesel
4. Gerber Flick
5. Gerber Mini Suspension
6. Gerber Crucial
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:42:39 PM by haja.maideen.988 »

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: China made Gerber
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 05:06:13 PM
1. Gerber Dime
2. Gerber Balance
3. Gerber Diesel
4. Gerber Flick
5. Gerber Mini Suspension
6. Gerber Crucial
7. Gerber Octane
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 05:46:42 PM
Didn't I read somewhere on here that ALL Gerber's barring the MP series were China built. :think:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:51:35 PM
THAT explains a lot. The POS Dime comes to mind. My local Target wants a fortune for one and there's no way I'd spend a Dime on a Dime!! :td: (we need a 2 thumbs down emoticon)
SAW

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 05:54:59 PM
Didn't I read somewhere on here that ALL Gerber's barring the MP series were China built. :think:

I think you're right.

As far as I'm aware the MP400/600/800 and MP1 (AKA Shift) are made in Portland along with some of the knives. Not that country of origin bothers me in the slightest. I carry the Balance, Diesel, Dime, and Octane, and have occasionally carried the BG Strata too and found that to be quite useful. The Fit resides in the car glovebox along with a cheapo wind up torch in case the battery on the Fit goes flat. The only US made product of theirs I carry is a modified MP400 ... oh, and the now discontinued MP700 of course.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline haja.maideen.988

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 05:25:57 AM
Hey, the Gerber Dime work very smoothly.  Gerber quality control is very good.

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 04:58:06 AM

Probably, although that's not what Gerber  would like you to believe. If you check their Made in USA section (quick link at the bottom of the front Web page) you'll notice how many more tools are included.
EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 05:47:49 AM
Hey, the Gerber Dime work very smoothly.  Gerber quality control is very good.

The scissors on the Dime are irredeemably bad, and it's pretty well my one and only requirement of a keychain multi.

us Offline Rux

Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 01:57:26 PM
Even the Gerber's made in America, if you read the label on the front "Manufactured in America With Global Parts" or something along those lines.

Take from that what you will.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:01:26 PM by WildJ3 »

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 02:15:37 PM
Even the Gerber's made in America, if you read the label on the front "Manufactured in America With Global Parts" or something along those lines.

Totally agree.

The fact the stamp on a handle states U.S.A. doesn't mean the tool is fully made in US. Assembled maybe, but the tool bits could be from all over the Globe and the manufacturer isn't liable to state where from and exact % amount.

It harkens back to that old Swiss watch making industry "Swiss" vs "Swiss Made" argument. The latest regulation states that if and only if the watch has 80% and over of its weight in parts made and assembled in Switzerland it can bear the "Swiss Made" stamp, if less than 80% but still assembled in Switzerland than just "Swiss"  stamp.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 10:48:25 PM

Totally agree.

The fact the stamp on a handle states U.S.A. doesn't mean the tool is fully made in US. Assembled maybe, but the tool bits could be from all over the Globe and the manufacturer isn't liable to state where from and exact % amount.

It harkens back to that old Swiss watch making industry "Swiss" vs "Swiss Made" argument. The latest regulation states that if and only if the watch has 80% and over of its weight in parts made and assembled in Switzerland it can bear the "Swiss Made" stamp, if less than 80% but still assembled in Switzerland than just "Swiss"  stamp.

It's actually 50%, not 80%

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 11:42:27 PM

Totally agree.

It's actually 50%, not 80%

New 2013 regulation was referring to 80% for the total parts in a watch for it to have "Swiss Made" stamp.
But I could be wrong.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69