Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw/Emerson CQC-4K

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Kershaw/Emerson CQC-4K
on: September 05, 2014, 01:23:01 AM
   A friend of mine let me choose a knife for my upcoming B-day and I have been eyeballing the Kershaw/Emerson line. I was going to get the CQC-6K as that was the first to catch my eye and I thought the size would be right for me. After doing a bit more research in the whole line I decided on the CQC-4K.
   Right out of the box my first impressions were incredible. I honestly have not been that impressed out of the box with a knife or MT in a long time. Lets start off with the only real downside I have noticed. The thumb disk opener. While I do like the disk over the thumb stud they both are much less reliable compared to the Spydie hole in my opinion. The problem is more apparent on this model as the disk is so close to the scale that it is very, very hard to deploy the knife using it. The cutout in the scale is not positioned correctly to aid in deploying using the disk. It obviously has the Emerson wave, but I would not use the wave feature each and every time I need to use the knife. Speaking of the wave feature. I was a bit skeptical of the design and this is my first waved knife. Upon the first test and using the wave feature it has actually impressed me. It is much more reliable than I had expected. As long as you pull it out and back aggressively your good to go.
   The knife does have a bit of weight to it, but I do not find it excessive and while i'm not a "weight snob" as I love my lightweight Spydercos I find the extra heft gives it a great feel in hand. I also find the ergonomics of the handle to be excellent. The knife fits all your fingers and feel great. The jimping is decent. I would like to see more aggressive jimping on this knife, but it is a minor complaint. Fit and finish is excellent on this knife. The pocket clip does look like it has wear around the edges. I am not sure if this is how they do the pocket clips or if it just got rubbed around a bit with all the other clips. Either way it does not bug me at all. I love that the knife can be disassembled with standard philips and flathead drivers.
   I can defiantly see myself buying the CQC-5K and CQC-6K in the future. Nothing against the other knives in the series, but I think the 5K and 6K are the ones that would work best for me and have the features and blade shapes I would wan't. If you guys have specific questions or wan't specific pictures feel free to ask. This was just a quick write up off the top of my head. In a nutshell, for the price and just in general this knife is quite impressive and exceeded my expectations.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:30:14 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Re: Kershaw/Emerson CQC-4K
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 01:44:19 AM
very nice Cap! I'll go and get the CQC-2k
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 02:45:27 AM
For me the CQC-1k was the one that piqued my interest.  Just wish it was available without a black blade.

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:05:15 PM
My Initial Thoughts on CQC6K:
A well designed knife, good look good blade shape in the right size, comfort to use, shaving sharp out of box, wave feature is fun n easy to use. Opening is smooth and lockup is rock solid.

A great budget tactical knife. For those want to try a Emerson knife but don't want to pay Emerson price, this is your chance.

The steel frame make this knife very heavy for it size.
Screws hold the knife together are soft, use cation during disassembly.

My whitewashed CQC-6K

Cap, wait until you try wave an axis lock knife... >:D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 06:07:56 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:45:26 PM
I always wanted an Emerson but never could convince myself to justify one(I don't work in the tactical line of work), but much thanks to this collaboration, it is a much easier decision!  Btw, I love the 4K blade shape.  :D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 09:02:17 PM
I always wanted an Emerson but never could convince myself to justify one(I don't work in the tactical line of work), but much thanks to this collaboration, it is a much easier decision!  Btw, I love the 4K blade shape:D

Same.  :tu: Its like a spear point.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 09:22:32 PM
Really missed the boat in not releasing a UK legal version, especially given that they released several different models within this collaboration line-up.

Tried sending them an email to suggest this, got an absolutely stupid reply  ::)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 09:53:32 PM
Really missed the boat in not releasing a UK legal version, especially given that they released several different models within this collaboration line-up.

Tried sending them an email to suggest this, got an absolutely stupid reply  ::)

What was the reply?

I can see why they would not do a UK version. While I would not expect to use or wan't to use any knife as a defensive weapon the Emersons are aimed to be a defensive knife. Hence the name CQC (Close Quarters Combat). A slip joint would probably not make sense for Emerson to produce. Just my opinion on the matter. I think they should do a UK model to test sales though. Might as well. They could open up a whole new market.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:34:47 PM

Given that the CQC line are marketed (and for that matter named) as tactical knives, I don't think it would make any kind of difference whether Kershaw/Emerson released a slipjoint version or not.  It would still get you in plenty, plenty of trouble.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 10:45:07 PM
Other than most actual knifes i like the look of these - but if i may ask, what is "tactical" with this knifes? They are just nice looking generic pocketknifes for me.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:39 PM
Other than most actual knifes i like the look of these - but if i may ask, what is "tactical" with this knifes? They are just nice looking generic pocketknifes for me.

The Wave feature. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vig1yKKhB90
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 11:53:34 PM

Given that the CQC line are marketed (and for that matter named) as tactical knives, I don't think it would make any kind of difference whether Kershaw/Emerson released a slipjoint version or not.  It would still get you in plenty, plenty of trouble.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying or getting at?  :think:
I'm the milk man!

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 12:00:41 AM
The Wave feature. 

Thanks for the info.

I assume sometimes a new and cool feature is needed to sell some more blades. If mine the hook probably would be soon filed/grind away.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 12:25:25 AM
I am going based on the assumption that they sell knives for money. So I would think they could make more money by also releasing a UK legal version of this collaboration. Although it is reasonably priced, given the names attached to the knife, and the positive reviews so far, which indicate its a good quality and well thought out knife, it would sell in large numbers.

The reply I got was that there is already an Emerson knife available that is UK legal. So they totally ignored the point I made about this being a collaboration, and that it was reasonably priced, given the Emerson they referenced was about 10 times the price of one of these. I cannot stand generic, don't give a sh!t replies like that to serious queries from potential customers. Idiots.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 02:11:57 AM
The Wave feature. 

Thanks for the info.

I assume sometimes a new and cool feature is needed to sell some more blades. If mine the hook probably would be soon filed/grind away.

The Wave feature is not very new and has been on all Emerson knives for quite some time. The reason for the Kershaw/Emerson collaboration was basically to give people who wanted to try a Emerson out a chance without spending a bunch of money.

If you "de-waved" a CQC I think it would be awesome. Do it.  :D
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 02:13:18 AM
I am going based on the assumption that they sell knives for money. So I would think they could make more money by also releasing a UK legal version of this collaboration. Although it is reasonably priced, given the names attached to the knife, and the positive reviews so far, which indicate its a good quality and well thought out knife, it would sell in large numbers.

The reply I got was that there is already an Emerson knife available that is UK legal. So they totally ignored the point I made about this being a collaboration, and that it was reasonably priced, given the Emerson they referenced was about 10 times the price of one of these. I cannot stand generic, don't give a sh!t replies like that to serious queries from potential customers. Idiots.

Well that's a bummer. Sorry to hear.  :(
I'm the milk man!

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 05:15:10 PM
Congrats Captain.

It really looks nice. I want the CQC-2K and the 8K, but it'll have to wait for now.

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 05:34:59 PM

I'm sure they design, test, manufacture, package, and distribute knives for profit. The UK restrictions on knives makes it a small, specialized market. How many of these knives would sell in this market? 50? 100? Not profitable. Now, if you think there is a market for 10,000 knives, that would get their interest. Of course, you'd have to convince them that such a market existed. A 50% deposit on the purchase of the production run would probably suffice.

Rather than complaining to the companies who refuse to do business (conform to ridiculous laws) in the UK, you should be addressing your concerns to your politicians and law makers. When you don't get the answers or results you desire, you can move to another country that doesn't have such restrictions. Though those are getting fewer and harder to find...
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 06:41:55 PM
More or less the same rules can be found here over whole Europe - one of the most dense populated areas in the world.

I assume there would indeed be a market, if those small companies would have the capacities to serve each market, but many prefer to stay small in their known home market, instead of looking to the world outside.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 07:26:50 PM

I'm sure they design, test, manufacture, package, and distribute knives for profit. The UK restrictions on knives makes it a small, specialized market. How many of these knives would sell in this market? 50? 100? Not profitable. Now, if you think there is a market for 10,000 knives, that would get their interest. Of course, you'd have to convince them that such a market existed. A 50% deposit on the purchase of the production run would probably suffice.

Rather than complaining to the companies who refuse to do business (conform to ridiculous laws) in the UK, you should be addressing your concerns to your politicians and law makers. When you don't get the answers or results you desire, you can move to another country that doesn't have such restrictions. Though those are getting fewer and harder to find...

I'm sorry, what?

You think the UK market for knives is 50 - 100?

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 07:44:41 PM
No, don't be silly. What is the market for a UK or even a European legal version of the CQC-4K? What ever that model might be called.

There is no way that a company the size of KAI would simply ignore a large market unless they either weren't able to meet demand, or they believed there was no profit in it.

Again, I believe you are complaining to the wrong people. You apparently want what is available elsewhere, but banned by your laws. The good news is that you have choices. The bad news is you may not like the options to choose from.
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: September 08, 2014, 08:06:04 PM

Emerson is still pissed off about the war of 1812... :whistle:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #22 on: September 08, 2014, 08:44:55 PM
There is no way that a company the size of KAI would simply ignore a large market unless they either weren't able to meet demand, or they believed there was no profit in it.

You would wonder what silly decisions companies make by insular thinking.

Again, I believe you are complaining to the wrong people. You apparently want what is available elsewhere, but banned by your laws. The good news is that you have choices. The bad news is you may not like the options to choose from.

You always choose the lesser evil.  :D

It has to get sooo much more bad here, before it´s even worth to think about to leave this cozy continent - i don´t think it will happen in my lifetime.  ;)
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24