Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Mora 120 Carving Knife Review

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
New Mora 120 Carving Knife Review
on: September 06, 2014, 09:25:53 PM
Howdy!

I just received my latest order from Baryonyx Knife Co. on 9/2.  I had ordered a Condor Mini Bushlore, Mora 120 Carving Knife and a Flexxx Strop.

The Condor I have already returned, its handle was just too short.  It was actually quite well finished, and Benjamin at Baryonyx does a good job of selecting good knives to send.  No Condor gamble ordering from him.  But since it was only big enough to be a neck knife, I decided to return it.

The Flexxx Strop has already been quite handy.  I have not used a strop before, and after reading so many good things about how simple it is to keep a razor edge with one, I ordered this one.  I suppose I could've made my own, but I have too many other things I want to do right now!

Now, on to the best (to me) part: the Mora. I've tried my hand at whittling before, having used an BHK patch knife, but mostly a SAK Recruit. Recently I have been reading some articles that said a Scandi grind was better for wood carving, in particular some stuff by Robin Wood in the UK.  Since it is cheap, and comes recommended by many folk who know what they're doing far better than me, I went ahead and got one.

I must say, I have really taken to this knife.  The blade length is just about perfect for what  want to do, and I like the small bit of curve to the blade.  The handle is extremely comfortable.  It is a very simple shape, but the oval profile and the hand filling swell ( :ahhh) in the middle have allowed me to whittle for several hours at at time this week with no hot-spots.

In comparison with my SAK, the Scandi grind does seem to be much easier to move through wood.  I had them both sharpened and stropped to the point they would shave my arm, and the SAK still required quite a bit more effort to cut through the wood.  Even when I was trying to be mindful of maintaining the proper angle of its secondary bevel to the wood, the SAK still didn't match up.

So, all-in-all, I really dig this knife.  Sure, the sheath sucks, but otherwise it may just be the perfect knife for whittling.

DSC_0425small.jpg
* DSC_0425small.jpg (Filesize: 101.37 KB)
DSC_0426small.jpg
* DSC_0426small.jpg (Filesize: 160.9 KB)
DSC_0428small.jpg
* DSC_0428small.jpg (Filesize: 179.29 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: New Mora 120 Carving Knife Review
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:26:19 PM
Shown below is the little whimsy I made this week exclusively with the Mora, then sanded and finished with Three Bee's Polish.  One thing I like abut whittling is that the only tool you need is your knife, unlike making jewelry...
DSC_0429small.jpg
* DSC_0429small.jpg (Filesize: 151.27 KB)
DSC_0430small.jpg
* DSC_0430small.jpg (Filesize: 156.6 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:36:59 PM
Wow, that's some excellent whittling mate! :o  Good to hear you got a knife that suits you. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:43:10 PM
Excellent whittling. I love the design. I have not whittled in quite a while. I need to get back into it.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 10:23:27 PM
Very good job there mate! Great blade skill :tu:

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 11:25:49 PM
Puts my whittling to shame.  :(  Nice job there.  :tu:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 12:23:39 AM
Thanks guys!

The pics hide the imperfections, its definitely not perfect. I tried to have a chain link at the end, but it split when I was separating it from the loop that's left. Still, its the most complicated thing I've done so far.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 02:38:46 PM
Great looking job and cool knife you got. I'll have to look into those. :cheers:

us Offline colt 1911

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 05:54:46 AM
Awesome whittling, killer knife.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 09:47:42 AM
Good tool, and excellent workmanship!  :tu:

I got the same knife, but never get the time to really sit down and start to learn whittling.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 04:55:16 PM
FIrst off great work there and nice knife.  I have to be honest and say I really never understood the appeal of whittling, I always thought it was basically carving into simple shapes.  I have since looked up whittling and holy smurf.  Those are some impressive knive skills and patience. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD