Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT No Bother

au Offline harronek

CRKT No Bother
on: September 07, 2014, 08:23:53 AM
I thought I might give a quick review of a little knife that has really captured my attention .

This is a small knife make no mistakes about it

Dimensions:

Open Overall Length: 5.29''
 Weight: 2.2 ounces
 Blade Length: 2.19''
 Blade Thickness: 0.18''
 Blade Steel: 8Cr13MoV
 Blade Hardness: HRC 58-60
 Blade Finish: Black Oxide then Stonewash
 Blade Grind: Flat
 Blade Style: Reverse Tanto
 Blade Edge: Plain
 Handle Material: ABS Black
 Carry System: Molle Compatible Sheath w/Lanyard .

Those above dimensions are taken straight from their advertising so I assume its correct .

I wanted to try a small fixed blade knife for work and when I saw the No Bother i thought that it may fit my requirements nicely without breaking the bank on what is an experiment to see how a fixed compares to my usual folders .
I wanted simple , sharp , short bladed to meet societies requirements of carry laws and something that looked tool like , not dagger thin and pointy .
Well this thing has meet those requirements and to tell the truth has exceeded them .
Carrying a fixed blade in public can raise eybrows and my first real mission was to mute it down and make it appear more rustic and rural rather than the black tactical look it arrived with .
Webbing , blake molded sheath , clips etc .
I got rid of the webbing and the plaited leather lanyard . I used the piece of cord supplied with the knife for neck carry and made a simple lanyard from it .
I cut the slotted end off the sheath which is used to attach the webbing and wrapped a piece of leather around the plastic sheath fastening it with 4 Chicago screws .
The end result dramatically shortens the whole unit and really makes it look short .
Ive had a number of comments over the last week about whats on my belt ?
When I tell them its a knife and then show them every one has chuckled and been surprised .
I dont know what they thought it was , but a knife wasnt high on their list .I feel I have achieved what I was after in that regard .
A byproduct of using the Chicago screws is that the knifes retention pressure can be altered by cranking up one of the screws . I have experimented with this and settled on a tension that requires a reasonably big effort to release it .It wont come out of there by mistake .
The knife came harp out of the box and I touched it up after a couple of days of hard work cutting all sorts of things .
I'm no steel aficionado , but I think it holds an edge better than my Leatherman tools .
I'm amazed and delighted with this things cutting ability and in hand user friendliness   .
I highly recommend this knife and it has replaced my folders for work during the week , I stopped carrying a folder as a backup by about Wednesday because by then it had proven itself to me .
As a final comment I'll say I ordered another one on Thursday as a backup to the first in case I lose it or they stop making them , this was going to be a cheap test to see if a small fixed blade would suit my requirements and then if a success buy a better more expensive knife , but " Why Bother , when you have a No Bother "

Ken

Here are a few pics

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:32:32 AM by harronek »
A designer know he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: CRKT No Bother
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:23:06 AM
Thanks for doing that mate, I really appreciate it.  :cheers:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:00:52 AM
Great review mate, and a fine little knife too :tu:

Sent from the astropathic choir.

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 11:28:13 AM
When I read the title I thought you meant do not bother with CRKT.  :D

Awesome Skeletool, by the way... might I say prettiest Multitool I've ever seen.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

au Offline harronek

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:39:51 AM
Thanks for the comments and replies .
I'll give updates on my observations and thoughts as I continue to use this little beast , but for now I'm very happy with it .

Ken

A designer know he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 01:47:18 PM
nice review. and it's just gonna look better  the more it's used
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 12:03:05 PM
It's been a few months, how is it working out?  :pok:  :)

au Offline harronek

Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:23:27 PM
It's been a few months, how is it working out?  :pok:  :)

Sorry about not replying , I missed your post .

Well the story is a half sad one .
Our house was burgled and among the many things stolen were a lot of my knives .
The No Bother was one of the ones that was lost .
But , as I mentioned in a previous post I had ordered another one as a backup . I had never even opened the box , and luckily it was stored in a different place in the house , so I still own a No Bother .
The adapted leather over plastic sheath I made went with the first one and I haven't got around to altering the second one yet . This has stopped me carrying it at work , but I have on a couple of occasions carried it as a neck sheath around home and in the garden .
The knife itself is quite a surprising discovery , it has showed me that a knife doesn't have to be big to be useful , it is also the reason I have moved to smaller folders recently .
It is a type of quandary for me though . In my daily world its the only fixed blade that I'd ever contemplate carrying , anything bigger of more dagger like would not be looked upon favorably in my workplace . A folder is less visible and can do most things the No Bother can , why not just carry a Folder ?
So the update is I still love this knife , its unique , its unbreakable , its sharp , it has a cool factor which cant be denied or explained easily .
I just need to redo and fine tune the carry method a bit more , and it will always have a place in my heart and when situations allow , on my belt  :)

Ken   

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 09:22:18 AM
Thanks for the update Ken. Sorry to hear about the stolen gear. What folder do you carry?

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 10:53:54 AM
I wish they made a knife with the blade of no bother and the grip of the CRKT Minimalist. Or a grip like the one on Fred Perrin 's LaGriffe and Shark.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 03:40:43 AM
I wish they made a knife with the blade of no bother and the grip of the CRKT Minimalist. Or a grip like the one on Fred Perrin 's LaGriffe and Shark.

A Minimalist grip and pigtail on the blade of a No Bother blade, with the grip spine in the same location so the blade drops down below my fingers.... Be the fast draw my wallet has ever experienced.  :D

As to the question of why carry a folder... Becuase my 2" Minimalist makes my boss have the flutters, but he's ok with my 3" Gerber folder, my Rebar, or my SAK. Around people who know there is a world outside of the city, a folder is a tool- no big deal. A multi is a tool- he's a janitor or something. A SAK is, well, a SAK, the little red knife is the friendliest knife in the world. But a fixed blade- oh no, that's a KNIFE! HE'S GOT A KNIFE! RUN FOR YOU LIVES!!!

Yeah, I like knives better than most humans.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%