Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Trayvax Wallet

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Trayvax Wallet
on: September 08, 2014, 03:25:22 PM
This thing has been showing up in my newsfeed on Facebook for a while so I thought I'd check it out and see what all the fuss was about.  Before I start, here's a link to their site:

http://trayvax.com/

I'm not usually a fan of "hard" wallets as I find them very uncomfortable when you sit down, but given how much this thing was supposed to do I thought I'd give it a shot.  I ordered it in pretty blue and it arrived quickly enough.

It came with this nice card with all of the designer/company owner's info so I could contact him if there were any problems or if I loved it so much I needed to buy more.  Nice.  It's always good to see a man standing behind his products.  On the flip side of the card is the Feature List and some pictographs showing how to use some of the features.

It's no often you see "Other Stuff!" listed as a feature, but what the heck.   :facepalm:

I immediately went about transferring my ID's, credit cards, bank cards and store cards from my usual wallet (leather trifold Wenger wallet) into the new Trayvax unit.  For the most part, it held the cards nicely, with no fear of them falling out.  I really can't fault it for it's card-hold-ability, as it is simple and effective.

It's a bit awkward, but I imagine one would get used to it.  Basically once you have the paracord tightened to where you want it, you use an elastic strap secured with velcro to keep it tight, then loosen it when you want a card out.  You'll have to pull all the cards out to get the one you want though- there's not really any easy way to pick the right card out of the middle of the pack somewhere.  I personally don't care for that- I have specific slots in my normal wallet where each card goes so I know if anything is missing at a glance and can select individual cards without having to look.  Fail #1.

Then there's all of the other things that go in my wallet- my fishing license, which for some reason is a relatively large piece of paper (government doesn't seem to want to make that convenient to carry around), my car insurance and health insurance cards (apparently insurance companies don't want to be convenient either), club/business cards and the occasional bit of cash.  The cash can go into the Trayvax wallet (I'll get into that in a minute), but the rest really can't.  Fail #2

Cash needs to be folded over twice, or into 4.  I dislike this as it means when I pay for something I have to pull out ALL of my cash, unfold it, count out what I need, then put the rest back in... and by "in" I mean it just tucks in under the elastic used to hold the cards in place, which means you also run the risk of all the cards falling out when you loosen it to get your cash.  Fail #3.

I don't have a lot of cash, but I often collect rent for a friend of mine, and many of his tenants pay in cash.  As most bank machines only dispense $20 bills and the rent is usually around $800/unit, multiply that by several units and I can have a fair chunk of cash on me, which as you can see, the Trayvax is virtually incapable of dealing with.  This is not the wallet for ballers.  In the defense of the Trayvax Wallet though, my Wenger Trifold won't fold with that much cash in it either, but it does hold a lot more than the Trayvax does.  With the wad of cash pictured above, the elastic wouldn't even stretch enough to wrap all around it and secure it, plus can you imagine trying to stick that in your pocket?   :ahhh  Fail #4

In short, it looks kind of neat, but I really am not thrilled with it.  At $30 it seems like a decent enough bargain, and well worth a shot since it does have neat features like bag carriers and bottle openers, but the fact is that it fails so hard at being a wallet that I am not likely to have it with me when I need to open a bottle or carry a bag.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Trayvax Wallet
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 03:49:32 PM
Looks neat. But getting to you other card would seem like a pain. Would be ok if you only had a couple of cards and some cash.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 04:02:44 PM
I don't have enough cash/credit cards that I can stash a few away in an emergency wallet.... :P

I can see these wallets selling by the hundreds after a Pitchmen style demo in the mall right before Christmas.  I am certain it functions quite well as a bottle opener, bag carrier, gigantic flathead screwdriver and RFID blocker, but none of that means a bloody thing if you don't have it with you, and I just can't see myself carrying it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:29:00 PM
I'm going to give this one the :td:

Its kantankerous and I would worry about losing my stuff out of it.
SAW

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:50:16 PM
I'm going to give this one the :td:

Its kantankerous and I would worry about losing my stuff out of it.

Thanks for the new word! I love to learn stuff like this and then use it, even if it makes people think I'm cantankerous...

:tu: :tu: :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:52:26 PM
This thing has been showing up in my newsfeed on Facebook for a while so I thought I'd check it out and see what all the fuss was about.  Before I start, here's a link to their site:

http://trayvax.com/

I immediately went about transferring my ID's, credit cards, bank cards and store cards from my usual wallet (leather trifold Wenger wallet) into the new Trayvax unit.  For the most part, it held the cards nicely, with no fear of them falling out.  I really can't fault it for it's card-hold-ability, as it is simple and effective.

(Image removed from quote.)

It's a bit awkward, but I imagine one would get used to it.  Basically once you have the paracord tightened to where you want it, you use an elastic strap secured with velcro to keep it tight, then loosen it when you want a card out.  You'll have to pull all the cards out to get the one you want though- there's not really any easy way to pick the right card out of the middle of the pack somewhere.  I personally don't care for that- I have specific slots in my normal wallet where each card goes so I know if anything is missing at a glance and can select individual cards without having to look.  Fail #1.

Def

Isn't the card upside down? At least, judging by the "Made in USA".
 :think: :think: :think: :think:

Oh, wait!

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:55:26 PM by pfrsantos »

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 04:56:54 PM
Canadians

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 04:57:57 PM
That's the way it is supposed to go so the little man in the picture can see out.  :P

It's not my fault if the guys who made it don't know which way is up.   :facepalm:

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 04:59:42 PM
That's the way it is supposed to go so the little man in the picture can see out.  :P

It's not my fault if the guys who made it don't know which way is up.   :facepalm:

Def

Have you tried it? I think it'll make you a ninja!

:D :D :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 05:12:23 PM
I used this wallet for about an hour before going back to the Wenger.  It was just that good.....  :facepalm:

I thought about listing it for sale here on the forum, but I'd feel guilty about sticking another member with this junk.

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 07:10:05 PM
I used this wallet for about an hour before going back to the Wenger.  It was just that good.....  :facepalm:

I thought about listing it for sale here on the forum, but I'd feel guilty about sticking another member with this junk.

Def

Yeah, I kind of felt that way about the Crunch clone. Oh, wait .....  :facepalm:

:P

That does look a bit like unwanted Xmas gift, Grant  :D Failing in it's primary function just isn't going to be compensated for by the hilarious offering of "Other Stuff" in it's list of functions. I can understand someone getting steaming drunk and inventing something crazy like this, but you'd think they'd wait till they'd sobered up before putting it on the market  :D :D :D

Thanks for sharing it with us  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 05:46:44 AM
Well, you have to give the guy credit for trying something different.

Succeeding in making a highly functional wallet...perhaps not so much.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:33:16 AM
I've never seen a card holder that function more than a card holder. Since I carry a lot of other stuff they wouldn't work.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 11:49:33 PM
I thought about putting my Port ID in it since I usually wear that on a lanyard rather than keep it in my wallet, but I'm thinking the RFID blocking would work against the proximity sensor I need to swipe to get into certain dockyards.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 02:43:15 AM
I read through this thinking it might be good for my work ID, but then I opened the link and looked at the price. :ahhh  I also need to scan to get through doors, so it might not work.

I had been using a Roots wallet for the past 12 years or so, and just changed to a leather one last month.  I'm still not completely used to it yet. :facepalm:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 02:43:40 AM
Ya not a fan of the hard wallets.  But really I wouldnt call that a wallet since it doenst have slots for cards and an area to put bills without folding them first.  You know wallet like things.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 05:06:01 AM
Credit to you, def.  I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to walk around with that wallet in my pocket given the size and location of the bottle opener.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 12:27:01 PM
Credit to you, def.  I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to walk around with that wallet in my pocket given the size and location of the bottle opener.
And here I thought it was a sphincter stretcher. :facepalm:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:51 PM
It never made it that far.

Def

Sent from my smurfing hunk of techno sorcery

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 06:29:11 AM
I just got one of these on Friday.  I'll post pics possibly tomorrow, I'm having it laser-engraved at work.  So far though, I love it.  Much lighter than my previous wallet, and much smaller.  I HATE wallets with a passion, and I can barely tell I have this one on me.  It also forced me to drastically downsize all of the smurf that was in mine.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 07:07:56 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

I wasn't thrilled with mine, but everyone's needs are different, so I'd love to hear what you think of it.  What are you having laser engraved on it?

Def

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 03:37:57 AM
I had my full name and date of birth, in the European date format (DD.MM.YYYY)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 07:45:20 PM
Ordinarily is warn against putting your personal infosomething like that but I suppose if they have your wallet then they have all that info anyway!

Looks pretty cool like that.  Makes me wonder if I should give mine another shot.

Def

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #23 on: April 25, 2015, 05:15:37 AM
Exactly.  And if someone wants to steal my identity, let 'em.  They aren't going to get much, I've made sure of that...   :whistle:

Been two weeks I've been carrying the Trayvax now, and I love it.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 12:39:59 PM
My wallet contains ID cards, bank cards and licences, all of which would fit in that.
It also contains paper and, more significantly, metal money. Which wouldn't. It's not the sort of thing you can grab whilst leaving the house and know you've got everything.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 03:27:48 PM
I have mine here in the Jeep with me but for the life of me I have yet to find a real use for it.

Def

us Offline Jand3rson86

Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 04:43:42 AM
I despise carrying change, and rarely, if ever carry cash, so it's perfect for me.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 03:28:57 PM
I am far too paranoid to leave home without cash. 

Def

us Offline Neko2

• I have too many and not enough.
Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 03:30:22 AM
Do you still have the Trayvax wallet?

I'd  be willing to take the risk and buy it from you if you'd still like to get rid of it.
I still think it looks kinda neat.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD