Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newbie choosing the best quality axe/hatchet

comis · 38 · 4546

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Newbie choosing the best quality axe/hatchet
on: September 10, 2014, 11:03:14 AM
Hi, all.

I am a total newbie in axe department, and do have a few questions for those who had good experience or have used those tools in the past:

I am looking for a hatchet/small axe to use for camping/hiking/'bushcrafting', and the main task would be cutting and splinting small lot, light hammering tent picks, maybe falling small tree very occasionally.  I'd like to find the best tool for the job, ideally not too high maintenance or require high skill to use(since I have none).

My questions:

1) Since I am not going to use this hatchet often and not likely to purchase multiple of them to try out, will it be wise to just get the 'best' tool(possibly more expensive) to use?

2) Currently I am eyeing the Gransfor Bruks wildlife hatchet, anyone has experience with this or seen/heard anything bad about it?(just in case, shipping will be costly for me since I am in Asia)

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/gransfors-wildlife-hatchet/

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/415-Gr%C3%A4nsfors-Wildlife-Hatchet.pdf

3) While researching, I had seen a fair amount of good reviews about Wetterling Wildlife Hatchet(#106) and Fiskars X7.  I understand they are all in different price range, but will the difference be quite easily observed even as a newbie?

4) Any good international online seller you would recommend?  :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Newbie choosing the best quality axe/hatchet
Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:13:48 AM
Just my two cents, but tend to like tomahawks myself for camping and woodcrafting. But I am sure some of our Ax pros from across the pond will be able to help you right out.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 02:59:47 PM
Its hard to go wrong with any of the GB axes.  They are my favorite for carrying as their chopping utility is so high and they are so light for carry. 

For use around the backyard though my favorites are estwings.  They are all steel and damn near indestructible.  But as they are all steel, heavier than Id want to carry for walking about in the woods.  If you're only after the hatchet size though it might be worth considering an estwing hatchet as like I said it will outlast any other axe for durability.  I had the same one for 30 years and it only got replaced with a new one because I lost it.

Since you want to be able to hammer on tent pegs etc, the estwing would beat the GB for that as its a great hitter.  GB axes actually warn you not to hit too much with the back of the head as it can deform the eye over time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:08:34 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Philby

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 03:44:30 PM
Cheaper option is the hultafors bruks, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hultafors-Classic-Trekking-500g-HULHBFY05/dp/B003WGFYJQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1410356046&sr=8-11&keywords=axe+hultafors in my expeirience it's as good as gransfors axes. If you're planning on using the back of the head a lot as a hammer, go for the carpenters axe, the back of the head is also hardened.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gransfors-Bruks-Carpenters-Axe/dp/B000X1HN1A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410356406&sr=8-3&keywords=Carpenters+axe
Husqvarna version a bit cheaper http://www.amazon.co.uk/Husqvarna-Carpenters-Axe/dp/B006YGE8D4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1D9DWCMTQ8320HSYQV0V
Any of the hand forged Swedish made axes are worth getting. I'd go for the Hultafors, the carpenter axes are a bit heavy. I wouldn't use the axe to hammer tent pegs, use the axe to chop and trim a tree limb into a small basic club to do the job.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:48:55 PM by Philby »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:27:29 PM
@Nate  I'd love to use something light and easy to carry, but given my non-existing axe skill, I gotta learn to use one before moving to tomahawk.  But just out of curiosity, what would you recommend in that department?  :)

@Syph007  That's one dilemma I had, I just don't know how secure is the axe head on GB.  Given their great reps, I'd imagine they have the best chance to withstand some light hammering, but the label said otherwise.  :ahhh   Maybe I would just go ahead and get a GB, and do what Philby recommend below, to make a tree club for hammering which makes a lot of sense.  :tu:

@Philby  I gonna look into the Hultafors, that's a new name for me.  Husqvarna I did hear many good reviews, and sounds like it's great for its price.  And currently, from the little research I did, I had a feeling that in terms of quality(if we don't take price/performance into account), it would be GB > Wettling > Husqvarna and I am leaning towards getting a GB.  Would you think that's a fair observation/comment?  :think:

Of course, in the hands of capable woodsman, they probably could mod it to the way they like it and make the most bang out of the buck.

Great tips on the tent pegs, why didn't I think of that?  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:54:35 PM by comis »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 05:15:53 PM
Chi, I really like SOGs tomahawks. I know I catch some flak for using SOG, but some of there stuff is well made. There are light weight and great choppers. Seems to hold an edge nicely and you can even drive tent pegs. Also, you can use the back to help digs holes, crack open nuts and bust some rocks if need be. They also will not break your bank account either. There not quite made like some of traditional types, close but with a newer twist to them.
Keep in mind, tomahawks are lighter than most hatchets, pocket axes and belt axes, which means splitting bigger pieces of wood down the middle becomes a little harder to do. You are better off to split around the edges and work your way in. What tomahawks lack in bigger splitting capabilities, they make up for being light weight, speed, and finer task work. 
I hope this helps you some.
Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 07:06:27 PM
Chi, I really like SOGs tomahawks. I know I catch some flak for using SOG, but some of there stuff is well made. There are light weight and great choppers. Seems to hold an edge nicely and you can even drive tent pegs. Also, you can use the back to help digs holes, crack open nuts and bust some rocks if need be. They also will not break your bank account either. There not quite made like some of traditional types, close but with a newer twist to them.
Keep in mind, tomahawks are lighter than most hatchets, pocket axes and belt axes, which means splitting bigger pieces of wood down the middle becomes a little harder to do. You are better off to split around the edges and work your way in. What tomahawks lack in bigger splitting capabilities, they make up for being light weight, speed, and finer task work. 
I hope this helps you some.
Nate

Nate, thanks for the recommendation.  Meanwhile, I search around for some tomahawk/bushcraft video, and one thing I really like is so as long the edge is kept sharp, it seems possible to replace the handle or make an impromptu handle.  And the light weight and easy to dissemble is a great bonus.  The SOG tomahawk seems to be quite robust, so I gonna look into that too.  Looks like I am planning for an axe/tomahawk collection even before my first purchase.  :facepalm:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 09:34:03 PM
Wildlife Hatchet!!!!  :pok: :pok:

Absolutely 100% the one I would carry, and you'll not regret it ever. The only thing close to rivalling it for me would be my Roselli, but it's very counter intuitive and not something I'd recomend to a newbie.

HOWEVER ....

I would also recommend getting a cheaper axe to learn and develop your axe usage with. Sparky and others have posted a few good links in this corner of the forum, showing some good tips and tricks with an axe which will help efficiency, plus also safety for you, those around you, and the axe itself. If you end up whacking the smurf out of the handle just below the head till you get more fluent with it, it's better to do so on a "learner" than on your (expensive) Granny B. A cheap hawk might be a good way to play around with the techniques, but I personally would prefer the heavier head and "proper" axe shape of the WH. You'll also need to develop techniques for freeing an axe - or when NOT to free the axe, but strike the chopping block with the poll with the log still attached - or best bite angles for what materials, or how to maintain/repair the edge, or any of the other stuff that'll follow  :D

The Wildlife Hatchet is the one you want .... but not just yet  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:41:04 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 09:59:05 PM
Thats some good advice from Al (50ft)  :tu:

Comis, do you have any second hand shops or is there a local ax maker where you are?
Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 12:44:06 AM
What do you guys think about Swedish made axes?  I have a few, but not sure of who made them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 12:50:09 AM
What do you guys think about Swedish made axes?  I have a few, but not sure of who made them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Take some pictures of them, halmarks and all and I think we might find out for you who made them.

If you see something like a GB or crown, start going :woohoo:

:P
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:53:29 AM by enki_ck »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 12:54:44 AM
I still like my Estwing Hatchet, pretty good piece of gear for the price.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:08:56 AM
My estwing riggers axe is actuallly my most used one, but I dont know if everyone would find it best.  I like the heft of it and hammer head back.  Looks like a carpenters axe on steroids.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 08:11:18 AM
@50ft-trad   Thank you for all the valuable info.  I took a look at the Roselli small axe on youtube, it looks to be a very handy tool where you could choke up and use it as an Uru knife.  But it's interesting how thick is the head, where instead of emphasizing on cutting, it looks to more like a splitter.  What are your comments based on usage? :pok:

When you are talking about 'freeing' the axe, are you referring to the very split second during impact? :think:  From my little MA experience, depending on the weapon, sometimes it maybe good to very slightly loosen grip instead of gripping on 100%, especially hard impact will numb the hand.

I think I'd like get a GB Wildlife hatchet if I can find a reliable international seller, since these axes are getting more expensive as time progressed.  But for now, I am inclined to just get an Estwing E24A(the 14" handle one), and possibly a cold steel tomahawk just for fun/comparison purpose.(don't worry, I am not going to throw it with the original handle, don't wanna break it on first day) :D

@sparky415   Unfortunately, HK is a really really urban city, and I almost never heard of anyone owning an axe, so the only thing I've ever seen in hiking shop is the one by Gerber(probably an overpriced Fiskars X10).  I don't think there is any axe maker in town, maybe somewhere in China, but definitely not in HK.  Btw, the svord handles are great, and it's a very nice project/gesture to the axe-head giveaway.  :tu:

@derekmac and enki_ck   :popcorn:

@Higgins617 and Syph007    I did read/watch a lot of reviews, and seems they are made to last.  I think I will just get that first, and after learning the basics, move to GB Wildlife Hatchet.  :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 09:16:56 AM
@50ft-trad   Thank you for all the valuable info.  I took a look at the Roselli small axe on youtube, it looks to be a very handy tool where you could choke up and use it as an Uru knife.  But it's interesting how thick is the head, where instead of emphasizing on cutting, it looks to more like a splitter.  What are your comments based on usage? :pok:

It's a very versatile axe for sure. Excellent splitter, and as you said you can choke up on it for some knife work, but the angle of the blade is very broad, so don't expect to do anything too detailed. It also works well for crosscutting. It doesn't bite deep like the WH, but the wedge action really gets the chips flying. Due to the angle, you need to hit the workpiece at a more perpendicular angle than with other axes, else you could get a glancing blow. As the usage needs to be different than other axes, I'd suggest building up your axe skills with something else, and trying it later. One good thing is that it's almost impossible to get the head stuck.

When you are talking about 'freeing' the axe, are you referring to the very split second during impact? :think:

No, just that the head will sometimes get stuck - especially with one that bites deep like the WH. Sometimes a quick downward thrust of the handle will lever the head loose of the job and allow you to take a better swing, but sometimes it's better to reverse the axe. Pick up the axe/hatchet with the log still stuck on, and bring the axe down upside down (poll downwards, and log uppermost) onto the chopping block. The momentum carries the log over the blade and is more efficient than freeing the axe and trying to hit the same spot. It all depends on the size type of log, and how deep the head is stuck in and so on - you kind of have to get the feel of this through experience to know when it's best to do what. That was just an example of the kind of things you pick up from doing it  :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 01:39:33 PM
For a Swedish flavour, but without the heavy price tag, I'd have a look at these Bahco camping axes:

http://extranet.snaeurope.com/ProdBlock.aspx?sectionID=118&CatalogueID=5

While I admit I've not actually done any woodwork with one, I have have a good look at one in a shop and thought it seemed very good for the relatively low price. 

As Al says, I'd go for something lower price first and find out how to use it, make any mistakes and decide if it is going to suit you.  I'd hate for you to spend $100 on an axe only to find that it's too heavy/too short/too light or whatever.  Getting a cheaper axe to start with will give you an idea of what you'd like in buy in a more expensive axe and let you invest in a good axe that will last you a lifetime.  Hey, you might even like the cheap axe so much that you don't feel the need to spend more. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 05:38:50 PM

It's a very versatile axe for sure. Excellent splitter, and as you said you can choke up on it for some knife work, but the angle of the blade is very broad, so don't expect to do anything too detailed. It also works well for crosscutting. It doesn't bite deep like the WH, but the wedge action really gets the chips flying. Due to the angle, you need to hit the workpiece at a more perpendicular angle than with other axes, else you could get a glancing blow. As the usage needs to be different than other axes, I'd suggest building up your axe skills with something else, and trying it later. One good thing is that it's almost impossible to get the head stuck.

When you are talking about 'freeing' the axe, are you referring to the very split second during impact? :think:

No, just that the head will sometimes get stuck - especially with one that bites deep like the WH. Sometimes a quick downward thrust of the handle will lever the head loose of the job and allow you to take a better swing, but sometimes it's better to reverse the axe. Pick up the axe/hatchet with the log still stuck on, and bring the axe down upside down (poll downwards, and log uppermost) onto the chopping block. The momentum carries the log over the blade and is more efficient than freeing the axe and trying to hit the same spot. It all depends on the size type of log, and how deep the head is stuck in and so on - you kind of have to get the feel of this through experience to know when it's best to do what. That was just an example of the kind of things you pick up from doing it  :salute:

Roselli sounds kinda complicated, and it is best to follow your advice until time I have the skill and interest to explore this different kind of hatchet.  :salute:

I think there will be a good amount of practice needed before I could fully comprehend what you shared here.  If I am not mistake:
Tip 1) Upon impact, move the handle downwards to assist freeing up the axe head.
Tip 2) If the hatchet/axe bit too deep and got pretty stuck, lift up the whole thing a little(log with the hatchet stuck in it), and chop down the whole thing like it is a big hammer?

Like what happened in 8:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU2toxph5E0

Thanks for all the tips! :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 05:47:34 PM
For a Swedish flavour, but without the heavy price tag, I'd have a look at these Bahco camping axes:

(Image removed from quote.)

While I admit I've not actually done any woodwork with one, I have have a good look at one in a shop and thought it seemed very good for the relatively low price. 

As Al says, I'd go for something lower price first and find out how to use it, make any mistakes and decide if it is going to suit you.  I'd hate for you to spend $100 on an axe only to find that it's too heavy/too short/too light or whatever.  Getting a cheaper axe to start with will give you an idea of what you'd like in buy in a more expensive axe and let you invest in a good axe that will last you a lifetime.  Hey, you might even like the cheap axe so much that you don't feel the need to spend more. ;)

I will follow suit which I am going to just get an Estwing 24A(14" handle) to begin with, and after I get some idea how things work, I would start looking at other potential upgrade.  The main concern right now, other than the buying decision, is to find a good place to practice with dead wood, and HK is such a crowded place that I probably will need to travel far to find a remote and undisturbed area to practice. :D

Thank you for the suggestion!  I look up the Bahco axe on youtube, and looks like many reviewers are either complaining about the handle or the steel.  I gonna look deeper whether those are genuine claims, but for now, in terms of robustness and price/performance, Estwing 24A or Fishkars X7 seems to be pretty good.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 08:03:35 PM
No wood chopping allowed on The Peak I'm guessing? :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 08:33:15 PM
No wood chopping allowed on The Peak I'm guessing? :-\

:rofl:

I wish!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 09:15:05 PM

I think there will be a good amount of practice needed before I could fully comprehend what you shared here.  If I am not mistake:
Tip 1) Upon impact, move the handle downwards to assist freeing up the axe head.
Tip 2) If the hatchet/axe bit too deep and got pretty stuck, lift up the whole thing a little(log with the hatchet stuck in it), and chop down the whole thing like it is a big hammer?

Tip 1 - yes  :)

Tip 2 - If the axe head is heavier than the log - yes. If the log is a bit heavier (but not too heavy to lift with the axe handle), pick up the axe with log attached, turn head upside down so axe head is pointing upwards with the log on the top, so it's the axe poll that hits the chopping block. You are swinging the axe upside down with the log following, and the weight/momentum makes the log keep moving onto/over the axe head, even when the axe head has stopped. Like crashing a car and your head hitting the steering wheel, the axe stops first and the log drives into it. Make more sense?  :think:

DO NOT try this until you have got some basic axe skills though :ahhh :ahhh this is just an example of what you can do once you've got a bit better. If you haven't got the basics, that log is going to fly off and hurt you or someone else, or damage the axe, or any other number of nasty things :dwts:

gb Offline Philby

Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 10:40:34 PM
This is the one I own http://www.heinnie.com/hultafors-trekking-axe-mini The head is the same as on this one http://www.heinnie.com/hultafors-classic-axe-classic-trekking-axe only the shaft is a different size. I've used Hultafors, Gransfors and wetterlings axes almost daily for over 10 years, felling small trees, splitting logs, cutting kindling, splitting hazel for spars, hurdle making and wattling. In my opinion and experience, there is nothing to choose between them, the only difference is the stamp marks on the head, as far as I can tell they could all have come from the same forge. Which ever you get, you'll love, and you'll get a lifetime of use from (our ones in work have been used and abused for decades! :pok:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:31:34 AM by Gareth »

gb Offline Philby

Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 10:43:13 PM
I can also recommend this superb knife by hultafors http://www.heinnie.com/hultafors-heavy-duty-knife

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 02:53:09 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I will follow suit which I am going to just get an Estwing 24A(14" handle) to begin with, and after I get some idea how things work, I would start looking at other potential upgrade.  The main concern right now, other than the buying decision, is to find a good place to practice with dead wood, and HK is such a crowded place that I probably will need to travel far to find a remote and undisturbed area to practice. :D

Thank you for the suggestion!  I look up the Bahco axe on youtube, and looks like many reviewers are either complaining about the handle or the steel.  I gonna look deeper whether those are genuine claims, but for now, in terms of robustness and price/performance, Estwing 24A or Fishkars X7 seems to be pretty good.
IMO, while the Estwing will last like forever, the weight won't help you learn. Of those two I would go with the X7. I recommend buying cheap, quality is not important at this point. One of my favourites was a friends throwaway $10 bin buy, I reprofiled it and ten years later it is still working fine.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 06:20:15 AM
I'm in the same situation, blah blah blah.

Found a local B&M reseller and just bought the GB 415 this afternoon.

He also had the X7 as well. It was a nice tool, and I had a liking for it because I've had a 28 Fiskars chopping axe for nearly 10 years and it's been an excellent tool.

However, after having the chance to compare the GB 415 to the X7, there was just something about the GB that made me like it more... the way it felt in my hand, the balance, the shape of the handle... It just oozes quality and versatility.

I'm very glad I bought it. Now, I'm actually considering one of the Scandinavian Forest Axes to replace my old Fiskars chopper.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 06:25:10 AM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 06:54:06 AM
I'm in the same situation, blah blah blah.

Found a local B&M reseller and just bought the GB 415 this afternoon.

He also had the X7 as well. It was a nice tool, and I had a liking for it because I've had a 28 Fiskars chopping axe for nearly 10 years and it's been an excellent tool.

However, after having the chance to compare the GB 415 to the X7, there was just something about the GB that made me like it more... the way it felt in my hand, the balance, the shape of the handle... It just oozes quality and versatility.

I'm very glad I bought it. Now, I'm actually considering one of the Scandinavian Forest Axes to replace my old Fiskars chopper.

That is apples and oranges, GB vs X7 isn't fair. And you're not just starting out either.  :P

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 09:01:42 AM
That is apples and oranges, GB vs X7 isn't fair. And you're not just starting out either.  :P

I don't think it is... they're designed to do the same tasks, so why is comparing them unfair? I think it's a perfectly valid comparison.

Now on the other hand, use definitely depends on the user, and I'll concede that point. I've split a few cords in my day, and have logged plenty of miles/days in the backcountry, so my needs in a tool are going to be different from someone just starting out. Still, unless the cost is a major issue, the GB is a tool he'll be able to grow into as his skills develop. The X7 is going to limit him in terms of learning what a tool like a GB 415 can do.

To my eye and hand, the GB is a more versatile tool because of the shape of the blade, for one, because it will allow a wider range of tasks to be done with it. Second, and I think this is more important, especially for someone just getting started, is the balance of the GB is far superior to that of the X7. I think that'll make it easier for him to learn and grow into the tool.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 03:30:14 PM

@sparky415   Unfortunately, HK is a really really urban city, and I almost never heard of anyone owning an axe, so the only thing I've ever seen in hiking shop is the one by Gerber(probably an overpriced Fiskars X10).  I don't think there is any axe maker in town, maybe somewhere in China, but definitely not in HK.  Btw, the svord handles are great, and it's a very nice project/gesture to the axe-head giveaway.  :tu:

Comis,
Everything I know about HK I got from TV, looked to me like a lot of highrise buildings and not many trees but I thought I should ask the question,

Sounds like a nightmare, how about I send you some English steel as a start to your collection  :tu:  (If you don't mind waiting a few weeks)
Everything’s adjustable

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 07:31:43 PM

Tip 1 - yes  :)

Tip 2 - If the axe head is heavier than the log - yes. If the log is a bit heavier (but not too heavy to lift with the axe handle), pick up the axe with log attached, turn head upside down so axe head is pointing upwards with the log on the top, so it's the axe poll that hits the chopping block. You are swinging the axe upside down with the log following, and the weight/momentum makes the log keep moving onto/over the axe head, even when the axe head has stopped. Like crashing a car and your head hitting the steering wheel, the axe stops first and the log drives into it. Make more sense?  :think:

DO NOT try this until you have got some basic axe skills though :ahhh :ahhh this is just an example of what you can do once you've got a bit better. If you haven't got the basics, that log is going to fly off and hurt you or someone else, or damage the axe, or any other number of nasty things :dwts:

Ah!  I finally get it!  Thanks for explaining again.:tu:  So it's not like what shown at 8:28 in the clip I attached.  You are referring to a situation when the axe bit onto  a large log, but the whole head is still on top of the log(not the whole head completely buried/stuck in the wood).  Then by reversing the whole thing and hitting the poll of axe onto the board, it will cause the wood to 'cut itself'.

I think I can conceptually understand, but that's gonna be 201 Axe technique for me...for now, I gonna learn the safety and basics first.  :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 07:35:34 PM
You got it  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62