Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Newbie choosing the best quality axe/hatchet

comis · 38 · 4655

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Newbie choosing the best quality axe/hatchet
Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 07:51:45 PM
@Philby  Thanks for the link to Hennie, I have often heard of them here on MT.O.  I think the mini axe could be a little too small(even I really love the size and think it is cute, but the Wildlife hatchet or the Hultafors Trekking Axe may be a better size for me).  The Hultafors is a new name to me, so I gonna look that one up too!  The Hultafors blade looks great, reminds me of the Mora bushcraft that I have.  :tu:

@Heinz Doofenshmirtz   You bring home the question that I was wondering from the start--I think we will always find good axe selection at different price level, GB/Wetterlings/Fiskars/Estwing, they all have their merits and probably supporting users.  I think another way to ask my newbie question is--are the high-end wooden axes, such as GB or Wettlings, susceptible to breaking/damage(broken/cracked handle/edge roll), even used by a newbie?  Or are most wooden axes break somewhat easily? 

I consider myself a reasonable person, and even I might subject my edge tools to hard use from time to time(just like to know), but I never damage any tools to a irreversible state in life.  For now, I don't posses the skill nor material to fix an axe handle if it were broken, so it would be nice to know before buying one as a newbie.  :think:

@sparky415   That is such a generous offer which makes this place great, but for now, I don't posses the skill or material to make the handle just yet.  I couldn't in my good conscience to get one from you, not knowing whether I could make the best out of it.  May I take a rain check to this, and hopefully when I have more skill/time/material we could look into this again? :salute: :cheers:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 10:17:33 PM

@sparky415   That is such a generous offer which makes this place great, but for now, I don't posses the skill or material to make the handle just yet.  I couldn't in my good conscience to get one from you, not knowing whether I could make the best out of it.  May I take a rain check to this, and hopefully when I have more skill/time/material we could look into this again? :salute: :cheers:

I was trying to be clever and was not very clear  :facepalm:

I was going to send a complete axe (secondhand) which is a 'welcome to the Axe hole' gift from all the Axe users on here  :salute:
Everything’s adjustable

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 11:01:46 PM

I was trying to be clever and was not very clear  :facepalm:

I was going to send a complete axe (secondhand) which is a 'welcome to the Axe hole' gift from all the Axe users on here  :salute:

Thank you so very much for extending the offer via pm, very generous and makes me feel humble to be around kind members like you.  PM replied!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 12:35:15 AM
:hatsoff: to Tony.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: September 13, 2014, 06:31:48 AM

Just trying to clear a bit of space in my garage  ::)
Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #35 on: September 13, 2014, 03:47:46 PM
Nice one!  Hard to beat an axe as a gift that's awesome!  Something about axes I just love, they are a single tools with so much versatility. 

Hopefully you get to try it out on some trees in your urban jungle or elsewhere.  Where I grew up there was probably 10,000 times more trees than people in my village of 900. :D  I was given (or borrowed and never returned :D ) my first axe by my dad when I was 10 and that was my trusty Estwing hatchet.  I felled trees and dragged home the logs with a chain and my bicycle and built a mini log cabin/fort.  Good times living in the middle of nowhere! :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: September 13, 2014, 09:41:06 PM

Just trying to clear a bit of space in my garage  ::)

It goes without saying how special this will feel, and I learn a lot from you guys other than axecraft.  :salute:

Nice one!  Hard to beat an axe as a gift that's awesome!  Something about axes I just love, they are a single tools with so much versatility. 

Hopefully you get to try it out on some trees in your urban jungle or elsewhere.  Where I grew up there was probably 10,000 times more trees than people in my village of 900. :D  I was given (or borrowed and never returned :D ) my first axe by my dad when I was 10 and that was my trusty Estwing hatchet.  I felled trees and dragged home the logs with a chain and my bicycle and built a mini log cabin/fort.  Good times living in the middle of nowhere! :D

Those must be some good childhood memories!  :tu:

I was just thinking about the same thing as I was driving thru this concrete jungle this afternoon, and I felt kinda imprisoned in this, if that make any sense.  Surely it is one of the most convenient cities in world for urban living, but I do sometimes envy those who can enjoy the nature right at their backyard.  How I wish there is time in my life where I could just leave all those behind, and learn and apply woodman's skills at my own leisure. :)

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 07:16:22 AM
@Heinz Doofenshmirtz   You bring home the question that I was wondering from the start--I think we will always find good axe selection at different price level, GB/Wetterlings/Fiskars/Estwing, they all have their merits and probably supporting users.  I think another way to ask my newbie question is--are the high-end wooden axes, such as GB or Wettlings, susceptible to breaking/damage(broken/cracked handle/edge roll), even used by a newbie?  Or are most wooden axes break somewhat easily? 

I consider myself a reasonable person, and even I might subject my edge tools to hard use from time to time(just like to know), but I never damage any tools to a irreversible state in life.  For now, I don't posses the skill nor material to fix an axe handle if it were broken, so it would be nice to know before buying one as a newbie.  :think:
As long as it's not abused in some way (unintentional misses and overstrikes because of inexperience) a good hickory handle like what's on a GB or Wetterlings should give years of service. They'll also give you plenty of warning when they need to be replaced. Many of them also come with a steel sleeve or collar on the upper end of the handle to provide extra protection.

That said, I've a full size (28") Fiskars chopping axe for a good 10 years. Until the last couple of years, it saw regular use on several camping trips each year with my then-wife and kids, and with the exception of the stock edge having a crappy grind, it's been a solid and reliable tool. With respect to the edge, it had a pretty steep flat ground edge and it dulled after only a handful of campfire prep. I reprofiled it with a file and a coarse stone, finished it with a fine diamond stone, and since then have only had to touch it up every now and again.

In short, make no mistake, the Fiskars axes are quality tools and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better value for your money. But, they are massed produced with a single task in mind; chop and/or split wood. A fine handmade tool like a GB or a Wetterlings will be a lot more versatile in terms of what you can do with it; for example, a skilled hunter could use something like the GB415 I just got myself as a skinning/carving knife nearly as well as a dedicated knife. A Fiskars is simply going to suck at such an application because of things like the edge profile and curve won't allow it. A GB on the other hand can be pressed into service for such tasks with pretty good results if you take the time to really work with the tool and what it can do instead of muscling through it and well, butchering the work. (No pun intended.)

I suggest you sit down and write out a list of your intended uses for the tool, and maybe even a couple or three things you might end up using it for that you wouldn't normally, and then see which tool is going to be able to do more of those tasks than the others. Consider your budget, and then make your choice. Personally, I think a good tool makes learning easier, but that's just my bias.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%