Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fake Bucks?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Fake Bucks?
on: September 10, 2014, 09:19:28 PM
It irks me more than it probably should that people have absolutely no issue with being blatant liars to trick people into paying for things. Especially when those things are not what the person thought they were paying for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Buck-Sharp-mini-Pocket-Folding-Knife-Camping-Fishing-Outdoor-Tool-/161413680864?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item2595014ee0

Bothers me even more because I absolutely love Buck knives.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Re: Fake Bucks?
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 04:50:42 AM
It irks me more than it probably should that people have absolutely no issue with being blatant liars to trick people into paying for things. Especially when those things are not what the person thought they were paying for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Buck-Sharp-mini-Pocket-Folding-Knife-Camping-Fishing-Outdoor-Tool-/161413680864?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item2595014ee0

Bothers me even more because I absolutely love Buck knives.

Eh.  If money can be made by copying another's product and selling it, it'll be done.  This has been true for just about as long as there has been a functioning economy worldwide, and trademarks, copyrights, and patents be damned.  China gets the most crap for doing it these days but they're hardly the only ones.

us Offline Rux

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 06:03:57 AM
I find it amusing the seller's name is Chinatown.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 07:50:56 AM
Though Schrade never claimed to be selling Bucks, I am sure in the day the Schrade copy of the Buck 110 must have raised a few eyebrows.

I wish I could get one of the Schrades for cheap now..

Most manufacturers/brand owners sites have photographs of some common fakes so they are ususally a good place to start looking if you are not sure about a product (some are really obvious..)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:10:03 PM
The Schrades then were made out of pretty good quality 440c steel though right? I don't mind that they took the style, blatant copies suck. I just wish people had more integrity you know? Think of how great our market would be if all these people worked to out-do the leaders, rather than ride on their coat tails.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:55:44 PM
The schrade copies the buck pretty closely. At the
time the buck was I think made from 440c.  It is copy of the design not just a similar looking knife. If  the schrade was made by a non US company then there would have been an outcry. Some copies can be made with better materials but that improvement does not change what happens. As long as there is no effort to pass it as a different knife, like with fake buck branding, and is not a 100% facsimile of a known knife then it is generally acceptable. Especially with fixed blades it is getting hard to find unique design characteristics with each knife so that it does not look similar to an existing design. Look at schrade century knives and see what they remind us of. Search here for pictures.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 09:49:04 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha, okay you win this one. That's a riot, not that it makes it any better but at least they made them with some sort of quality.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 09:55:35 PM
..and I still love the old US schrades .  I also collect the schrade centuries as they are good quality and getting rarer.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 09:57:27 PM
I'm definitely going to be reading your thread about them now, didn't even know they existed. I just got two Schrade tools and they are built like absolute tanks, I love it.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 10:06:16 PM
The old Schrade tough tools are solid. The New schrade tough tools are not so good. One of the members here bent one once. By the way Schrade also made  Sak like models in Ireland too. I think they are still easy to get.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:16 PM
..and I still love the old US schrades .  I also collect the schrade centuries as they are good quality and getting rarer.
I had one of those schrades a long time ago. Loved that knife. Liked it a little better than the Buck 110. It was built like a tank.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 10:18:11 PM
Wow this place has the most productive derails ever, now I'm going to be searching for those as I'm pretty much 100% Irish. But the ones I found are certainly not the new junk they have rolled out, that is just too bad:/

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 10:19:24 PM
Nate, I think new schrade makes some now. I also think Kershaw has a similar knife too. I have some buck 110s but never really use them. If I was to use one it should be one of their paper stone ones as they are much lighter and easier to carry

From the new schrades their sodbuster and some of the fixed blades have a decent reputation. They seem to be getting better, slowly. You can still find US schrades easily but the prices are going up.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 10:22:58 PM by dks »

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 10:22:57 PM
Received a 110 and a G-Shock for my birthday, it has been my go-to outdoors knife for any fishing or hiking since. I feel like in certain situations the shear size of the thing start to be beneficial. It is one knife that I don't believe will ever feel cheaply made.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 10:26:41 PM
What I do not like about the original 110 is the weight and the brass smell you get on your hands. Also if you drop it the brass dents and you can break tiles. The older 110s were better made, according to the people who have them. I just have newer ones.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 10:32:50 PM
It's one of those things I always wanted, being that it was the first successful folder they made.  That and the fact that it was a very thoughtful gift make me value it that much more, so maybe I'm biased hahaha

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD