Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What exactly is a "Gentleman's Folder"?

Rux · 95 · 10676

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: What exactly is a "Gentleman's Folder"?
Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 10:27:47 AM
Powernoodle , you are my hero!
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 01:21:10 PM
Anyone else suspect Powernoodle reads, or perhaps even writes, for Mills and Boon:whistle:

Close enough. Meet his boss:

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: September 15, 2014, 01:26:23 PM
I use a SAK Secretary as my choice. Very smooth, subtle knife. Two blades, one for cutting your food the other for opening letters, cutting some thread. Very small, disappears in your pocket.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 01:30:00 PM
I use a SAK Secretary as my choice. Very smooth, subtle knife. Two blades, one for cutting your food the other for opening letters, cutting some thread. Very small, disappears in your pocket.

(Image removed from quote.)

I have to say that I don't think most SAKs fall into the "Gentleman's" category, but I think this one passes. :tu:  This is totally subjective though. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #34 on: September 15, 2014, 02:28:16 PM

I have to say that I don't think most SAKs fall into the "Gentleman's" category, but I think this one passes. :tu:  This is totally subjective though. :D

Then what about this one? 

I think it would be my pick as number one of the two or three gentlemanly SAKs that I have. The other two are both 74mm Executive based.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: September 15, 2014, 02:33:48 PM
I'd say that's too "busy" to be a gentleman's knife. In my view, a gentleman doesn't do manual labour. But that's me and like Gareth said, it's a matter of opinion.

:salute: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 02:38:45 PM
I see a gentleman's folder as a small non-locking knife with two or three small blades.  I think they should also be a little fancy looking.

I'd consider my Buck 303 to be one.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 02:52:53 PM
I'd say that's too "busy" to be a gentleman's knife. In my view, a gentleman doesn't do manual labour. But that's me and like Gareth said, it's a matter of opinion.

:salute: :tu:

That's pretty much it. :D

Don't get me wrong, I think that's a beautiful SAK, but it's not what I think of as a Gentleman's folder.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 04:46:39 PM
One filter I have for what might be a gentleman's knife is this:

When you take the knife out and use it, do (all kinds of) people want to get closer to it or away from it?

Think about the most knife averse person. How would they react to the knife? If they go "Hum, looks nice..." THAT is a gentleman's folder!
 :D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 04:58:34 PM
Something like these, as described in my 1st post in the thread:

had to take a couple of quick pictures
(think of the "look" rather than who made it)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: September 21, 2014, 02:55:23 AM
I'm a Gentelman , so anything I carry is a Gents knife . I've seen the term applied to small , ornate "Tacticals " .

Chris

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #41 on: September 21, 2014, 05:21:42 AM
I love Powernoodle's answer, but I think it needs a little fleshing out.

A gentleman's knife is dressy but not showy. This could be something like the goldplated tools from Texas Toolcrafters, but they are a little closer to bling. Silver is a little more understated. A Vic Climber or Compact could qualify if you put on new scales, a faux ivory or an exotic hardwood or something like the engraved copper scaled Pioneer posted in custom SAKs by rickinFL. Or even a semi-precious or decorative stone, like malicite (particularly if you have copper or brass and black mosaic work). File work also goes a long way. It's a part of a gentleman's jewelry as much as a fine watch and walking cane.

Things I wouldn't expect is a one handed blade, or even most locking mechanisms. This is the realm of the slipjoint. I make an exception for the ring lock because it is "exotic", particularly if we have something like an engraved ring of copper or stainless with inlay to make the art stand out. I wouldn't want too many layers on a SAK, or anything overly long. Sidhartha has done some amazing 111mm SAKs with file work and really sexy scales, but liner locks and 4" long makes them borderline despite their beauty. Not sure how many multitools could be made to serve as gentleman's knives.

And it does not need to be custom. Case has a lot of lines that qualify. Turquoise and silver works if it matches the rest of your ensemble, and Case has done that. Yes, a gentleman's knife should not clash with his suit.

Sadly, it is hard to give a specific definition. All of these rules could be broken- dressed up properly, a long, slim fruit knife could work. In theory, even a small fixed blade could work, but not these days, it's just too likely to freak out the finer people. But you'll know one when you see one.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 10:38:42 AM
Been fawning over this for ages, but too far out for my budget:
Laguiole en Aubrac, 12c27 stainless, scales in mammoth ivory and ebony...

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Offline Glofindel

Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 10:46:51 AM
For me this is it

Or this

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 01:21:13 PM

Yeah, a Laguiole would definitely count IMO. 8)

Though my one is perhaps a little plain.

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 05:13:34 PM
Besides functionality from one or more tools., a gentlemen's folder needs to show additional style by use of material, form, finishing and preferably some history.
Weather hand made classic knife designs with natural materials or factory made knives like an Alox Cadet or a Solo, both suit the style requirements fine.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: September 23, 2014, 07:41:41 PM
It's a matter of opinion, like the next video shows. For me, these are NOT gentleman's folders...

:facepalm:

Dress up knives, gentleman knives, people friendly knives or just good little back up knives...

And that's no way to treat your knives!!!!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: September 23, 2014, 07:52:53 PM
It's a matter of opinion, like the next video shows. For me, these are NOT gentleman's folders...

Dress up knives, gentleman knives, people friendly knives or just good little back up knives...

Excluding the Mnandi. that one ticks all the boxes: great design, great steel, beautiful scales, and the history of the man who invented frame locks. 
@blackdiamonds_42

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: September 23, 2014, 08:15:21 PM

Just out of curiosity, is this channel owned by our own member whom just may have posted above us?  :pok: ;)

Depending on how you look at it, I can foresee some being qualified as gentlemanly knife.  But the handling of the knives are little rough, I must say.  And I agree, the Mnandi looks great!  :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #49 on: September 23, 2014, 08:37:33 PM

Oh that is nice!  That reminds me I need a Laguiole in my knife collection.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline chivaceae

• 'ta bueno!
Reply #50 on: September 23, 2014, 10:10:15 PM
Next are some of my small "gentleman" folders (Case Russlock, SOG Facet, unknown lockback (looks like a mini Buck 110) with engraving, next to a "gentle" SAK Cadet with filed main blade (also used on special occasions and in certain circles where a regular/full size folder or multi-tool is not that appropriate).  :D  Raul
Folders.jpg
* Folders.jpg (Filesize: 226.7 KB)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:00:57 AM by chivaceae »

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 23, 2014, 10:41:20 PM
my idea of a gentlemens knife

Made in Sardinia, Italy, a carbon steel leaf shaped blade, blonde mouflon horn scaled resolza Pattada.
Quite a mouthful  :D

The knife is made by Giovanni Massala.
http://www.tradizionisarde.com/vendita/1-coltelli/3-coltelli-pattadese/1051-pattada-in-muflone-10-cm-giovanni-masala.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:51:14 PM by microbe »
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #52 on: September 24, 2014, 01:48:59 PM
I don't know what would make a good gentlemans knife. I'm not a gentleman. :p
I did get call one once. I thought she was cussing me.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: September 24, 2014, 04:44:32 PM

Just out of curiosity, is this channel owned by our own member whom just may have posted above us?  :pok: ;)

Depending on how you look at it, I can foresee some being qualified as gentlemanly knife.  But the handling of the knives are little rough, I must say.  And I agree, the Mnandi looks great!  :tu:

Towards the end there are a few I would put in that category, too. But that's no way to treat your knives!!!!

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: September 24, 2014, 06:49:11 PM

Towards the end there are a few I would put in that category, too. But that's no way to treat your knives!!!!

Yes, I don't babysit my users too much, but certainly it was a little rough if he really treats them as gentleman knives.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #55 on: September 24, 2014, 07:23:16 PM
What exactly constitutes a . . . "gentleman's folder"  . . . ?

It is early Spring, and you are at a social gathering on the veranda of a Victorian mansion situated on 700 acres just outside of Charleston, South Carolina. A cool spring breeze is bringing the smell of ribs from the grill. An intoxicating aroma of charcoal and sizzling meat.

The estate's owner, a very attractive young widow who recently inherited a shipping fortune of almost $800M, is clearly captivated by your charm and good humor. She approaches, accompanied by her twin sister who has returned just this morning from boarding school in Switzerland. After a shy giggle and a bit of conversation, the young widow flings her long, brown hair away from her face and asks if you might slice a lime for her Gin and Tonic. As she does so, you sense the slightest whiff of her scent, which is quickly replaced by that of the grill. You find yourself suddenly hungry, though for what you know not.

You:

a) remove your Spyderco Camo Military with black blade from your pocket, and it snaps open with a satisfying clunk. The young widow recoils in fear and drops her Gin and Tonic. Her security personnel wrestle you to the ground and remove you from the estate; or,

b) you casually remove a small, finely crafted folder hand-made of exquisite and costly materials. You expertly slice the lime with its razor edge, and place a slice in the widow's drink. As you do so, your hand casually touches hers, causing her to blush. But the blush is accompanied by an unblinking stare into your own eyes, and you see her pupils dilate ever so slightly. After an embarrassed pause, she asks if you might accompany her and her sister on a private walking tour of the riding stables. You accept, and begin your stroll as the sun begins to set behind the adjacent hills.

If you chose answer b), you were carrying a gentleman's folder.

This is the post that should have won tattoosteve's GAW/story contest a few years back, not mine. This is pure literary genius. But I'm still keeping the knife... :climber:
Stew...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 08:21:56 PM by enki_ck »
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #56 on: October 02, 2014, 12:20:14 AM
The idea is a small pocketable folding knife, usually non locking, that is pleasant to look at, non threatening, discreet, single blade mainly, with nice scales.

It could be a nice case or GEC or Sheffield knife with thin stag or polished wood scales or a black small thin Alox Sak or a small chris reeves or crkt etc.

It is used if needed for small tasks like cutting apples, thread, openning mail etc.
It should also make you feel happy having it in your pocket and give you pleasure using it or letting someone use it for a small cutting task. It can also be carried by ladies so the name is not specific.

Well said. I can't think of much to add other that a gentleman's folder should exude quality construction and material-wise (*) , certainly not be a tactikwel knife. [Edit: 93 / 108mm Solos and maybe the humble alox Soldier-Pioneer], Laguioles, #6 - 8 Opinels (never mind the lock), Case Pacific Blue Bone and another one I can't remember right now all qualify for me.

Also this, despite having a lock http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43326.msg877770.html#msg877770 :drool: Out of my price range but I can still  :drool:

@ Powernoodle: Great answer  :tu: :rofl:

* Imagine the gentleman's disappointment after casually taking the folder out of his pocket in front of the damsel only to find out it's not gonna cut it, nope, no way, uh-uh  :P
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 12:46:53 AM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: October 02, 2014, 03:16:05 PM
What exactly constitutes a . . . "gentleman's folder"  . . . ?

It is early Spring, and you are at a social gathering on the veranda of a Victorian mansion situated on 700 acres just outside of Charleston, South Carolina. A cool spring breeze is bringing the smell of ribs from the grill. An intoxicating aroma of charcoal and sizzling meat.

The estate's owner, a very attractive young widow who recently inherited a shipping fortune of almost $800M, is clearly captivated by your charm and good humor. She approaches, accompanied by her twin sister who has returned just this morning from boarding school in Switzerland. After a shy giggle and a bit of conversation, the young widow flings her long, brown hair away from her face and asks if you might slice a lime for her Gin and Tonic. As she does so, you sense the slightest whiff of her scent, which is quickly replaced by that of the grill. You find yourself suddenly hungry, though for what you know not.

You:

a) remove your Spyderco Camo Military with black blade from your pocket, and it snaps open with a satisfying clunk. The young widow recoils in fear and drops her Gin and Tonic. Her security personnel wrestle you to the ground and remove you from the estate; or,

b) you casually remove a small, finely crafted folder hand-made of exquisite and costly materials. You expertly slice the lime with its razor edge, and place a slice in the widow's drink. As you do so, your hand casually touches hers, causing her to blush. But the blush is accompanied by an unblinking stare into your own eyes, and you see her pupils dilate ever so slightly. After an embarrassed pause, she asks if you might accompany her and her sister on a private walking tour of the riding stables. You accept, and begin your stroll as the sun begins to set behind the adjacent hills.

If you chose answer b), you were carrying a gentleman's folder.

+1 Interwebz for you, my friend. Funniest post I ever read  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #58 on: October 03, 2014, 11:42:24 PM

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #59 on: November 21, 2016, 10:26:44 PM
Here's some of my gentleman's folders. Limited editions by Moki.
DSC02278-moki.jpg
* DSC02278-moki.jpg (Filesize: 315.27 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%