Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can anyone make me some custom tools for a vic 91mm?

Quartz · 16 · 2200

Offline Quartz

Can anyone make me some custom tools for a vic 91mm?
on: September 13, 2014, 09:27:53 PM

Basically, what I think I'm looking for are two long(ish) metal sticks that are narrow top-to-bottom so that one can fold under the other. Think of the overall shape of the long inline phillips on the 111mm and how it folds under the scissors, but then replace the scissors with another screwdriver-stick and that's the general idea. Both sticks will have a 'flat phillips' tip like what's found on the can opener. One stick would have a medium tip equivalent to the inline phillips on an Explorer, the other would have a finer point similar to the typical backside phillips on the blade layer (but obviously with a narrower shaft). At least one of these sticks needs to be able to double as a makeshift marlin spike. Both sticks should preferably be the same thickness as the openers layer so I can reuse the spring and keep the awl. For the knife I'm trying to build this layer needs to be between a pliers and scissors layer- since both of those tools bulge out at the narrow end of the knife and are mostly flush at the thick end, this 'screwdriver-stick' layer needs to be the opposite of that so fingers can get at it.

I know how to do basic grinding and polishing, so I've already looked into modifying existing tools. I'm not sure how many of the 9xmm or 1xxmm parts can be cut up to make something like this easily. Most of the long tools like the saw or metal file won't have the torsional strength to handle being a screwdriver anyway. *Maybe* I could hack something out of a 111mm main blade, but it'll probably look like crap. The closest I can think of would be taking two of the 111mm long inline phillips, but I'd need to grind down the tips a lot and it would reduce their length more than I'd like. (I'd also have to drop like $150 on buying new knives to rip the phillips out of, since no one ever has any spares to sell individually).

Anyone out there have the tools and materials to do this properly? For any of you with a lot of experience, feel free to suggest modifications or explain why it wouldn't work.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:56:04 PM by enki_ck »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Can anyone make me some custom tools for a vic 91mm?
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 09:58:02 PM
Hi, I embeded your pic for easier viewing, hope you don't mind. :salute:

I like the concept of it. Hope one of our modders can help you with this.

Offline Quartz

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 10:10:42 PM
Ha, I left it as a link because I didn't want to spam a huge image. Oh well :)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 12:23:53 PM
I have nothing to add except that I really like the idea. I do wonder though if a long, thin tool like the upper one in your picture would be strong enough to handle a lot of torque.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

Offline Quartz

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 12:47:17 PM
Well, the "long inline screwdriver" from the 111mm can do it just fine, and the scissors layer is only fractionally thicker than the openers layer, so it should be more than adequate for light/medium duty tasks. A really stiff 4in woodscrew might be trouble, but at that point you kinda want a proper dedicated ratcheting driver anyway.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 04:49:33 PM
Making the shapes is pretty easy, the main problem is the heat treating.  It usually costs quite a bit to have single parts wrapped and done, vs the per part cost on a large run.  It was a couple hundred to have my 200 springs heat treated.  That was a min charge so you'd have to find a knife maker with an oven or someone that does individual parts to afford ably get them done.

Too bad fishscalers werent thicker as that would be a good candidate to reprofile.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline Quartz

Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 05:04:26 PM
Is there any other metal besides steel that is reasonably cheap that doesn't require heat treating? You mentioned using Ti before.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 05:43:13 PM
Ti would be great for the body od the tool as its super strong.  For the tip though it would deform like mad as Ti is not even close to steel hardness.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 05:45:45 PM
Ah you know what would work.  Buy some cheap blades like stainless moras.  Then they can be ground to shape and are already hardened.   As long as its kept cool the temper will be fine.

Offline Quartz

Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 06:10:09 PM
The thing is, I don't really have the tools or experience to do something like that properly. Trying to grind down a whole blade to the right thickness and shape is really more than I want to mess with, seeing as my "workshop" consists of a Dremel and a pair of pliers. That's why I was hoping I could pay someone else on the forums with a better setup to do it for me.

Sucks about the Ti. If treated steel's my only option and no one can do it cheaply maybe I'll just give up on the whole thing. Either that or wait until I can afford to throw several hundred bucks at the project.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 08:38:53 PM
Ah you know what would work.  Buy some cheap blades like stainless moras.  Then they can be ground to shape and are already hardened.   As long as its kept cool the temper will be fine.

Might find a Jigsaw or hacksaw blade the right thickness. Also, the "top" half of Vic scissors might be perfect for one of the proposed tools (the left one in your diagram).
Don't despair with the lack of tools. All I have is basically what you have, and with some ingenuity and time you can accomplish lots you originally thought impossible.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 11:05:39 PM
I wonder if some Vic backsprings could be repurposed?  Maybe Pioneer springs.

Offline Quartz

Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 02:55:32 AM
Are the springs usable for stuff like that? I thought they were tempered in a specific way for 'springyness' that doesn't translate well for a tool part.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 02:06:11 AM
How about Andre Pierre? He has built custom saks from the ground up. I know he is expensive but well worry every penny.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 04:37:24 PM
How about Andre Pierre? He has built custom saks from the ground up. I know he is expensive but well worry every penny.

You messed up the name a bit there, Steve. :D It's André Perret. But good thinking :tu: , although not for everyone's pocket. He does make all the tools himself and has an oven to harden them.

http://www.andre-perret.ch/home/workshop/

Offline Quartz

Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 06:47:55 PM
Thanks for mentioning him, I'll check that out.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%