Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scissors on MT, what for?

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Scissors on MT, what for?
Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 09:20:05 AM
Big scissors fan here.

Nails, rogue hairs, plasters (bandaids), gardening chores including light pruning cuts, harvesting, twine, landscaping fabric, rogue threads on clothing, plastic tags on new store bought items, food packaging, trimming address labels for small boxes, cutting thin shims, small dia stranded wire ...

I use them far more often than screwdrivers
:imws:

And can you imagine being in a public place,and whipping out the main blade of your MT to slice open a band aid?

Also,there's the fact that I work in a British retail environment...scissors don't get a second look,where a knife blade does :B:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 11:05:10 AM
Scissors are not a must have on a Multitool for me, as long as I have a SAK with Scissors handy (which are better than any Multitool scissors I've ever owned) then I'm happy  :D

:climber:
darren

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 12:06:40 PM
as long as I have a SAK with Scissors handy (which are better than any Multitool scissors I've ever owned)

Tried the Surge scissors?

A always called any of these SAK and MT scissors completely useless, and never used them cause to tiny. But the scissors on the Surge are a size where they start to be usefull.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 01:46:41 PM
A Surge is on my 'TO GET' list at the moment. You really don't like 91mm SAK Scissors?  :think: They're freakin awesome!  :ahhh
darren

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 01:53:41 PM
A tiny pair of scissors is enough for me (like those on a Style PS - my current favourite) because there are jobs that a knife blade, even the little pen blade on a SAK, just can't do.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 02:09:17 PM
I'm saying little on the subject apart from I love/need scissors.
I was involved in a thread (here) about a year ago  :think: and someone got quite 'hissy' because they used a 'Blade' for everything !!!! and the only reason I would 'need' scissors was, I must be some kind of retard who couldn't sharpen my knife well enough to do tasks like trimming nails (I'm not hardcore, I use scissors  :whistle:)
every time I trim a rogue hair in my beard, or worse still a nose hair, I think to myself "I may be doing it wrong but it sure feels safer"  :facepalm:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 03:57:53 PM

Sure I can not and WILL NOT trim nose hair with a knife, but that is what pliers are for.  :o

:worthless:

Really, no scissors?  One only need to use a scissor on a 91mm SAK for a while, then will not live without one.  I do like the scissors, especially for those "cut along the line" task, and in an office setting, it raise less eyebrows to use scissors then to wipe out a knife for a small cutting task.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 04:50:54 PM
Oh the scissors...I've gone back and forth in my own mind about them in the past.  At one point I figured I'd be fine without them as between a sharp blade and the wire cutters, I could handle most scissor related tasks.  Still, I prefer to have them as they are much better to use for many tasks than a knife blade.  Sure, many of those tasks could possibly be handled fine with other methods, but scissors do it better :tu:  I'm certainly not trimming any stray beard whiskers (which is one of my primary uses) with a knife or wire cutters ;)  Not only that, but the scissors are the primary tool my wife asks me for, and this is on a fairly regular basis. 

Sometimes I even have two on me between my MT and SAK (Rogueneer is all I've carried for a good while now, and it has those sweet Vic 91mm scissors).  If there happens to be scissors on whatever MT I'm carrying as well, then I reserve those for the more dirty, utility type tasks (not that I ever really encounter those :think:). 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:28:53 PM by Monrogue »
K-Tibbs

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 05:21:30 PM
just because you CAN do something with a 'blade' doesn't mean you should  :rant:
think *CAN OPENER* I'm almost positive I could get into a tin of beans with the 154cm blade on a Leatherman tti, BUT I'd rather use a can opener :P

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 05:34:18 PM
just because you CAN do something with a 'blade' doesn't mean you should  :rant:
think *CAN OPENER* I'm almost positive I could get into a tin of beans with the 154cm blade on a Leatherman tti, BUT I'd rather use a can opener :P

Exactly :tu:  Plus, scissors are precise, while my knife skills may not be quite so much ;)  I would rather, say, cut out a coupon with scissors, than set the paper on the table and carefully "carve" it out with a blade.  I would do (and have done) this if necessary, but scissors are meant for these types of tasks, imho.   
K-Tibbs

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #40 on: September 17, 2014, 12:04:40 AM
I am learning all the new ways to use my scissors, very cool!  :tu:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #41 on: September 17, 2014, 06:25:46 PM
I like to have scissors on the multi i carry. Among the many uses mentioned above, i am quite sure that bigger models like the ones on a Flik or a Surge, for example, can even work as trauma shears in a case of emergency. You're not gonna cut a leather jacket for sure, but i am sure they can go through most t-shirts, shirts and thinner sweaters. Maybe that can be done with a serrated/rescue blade but i think it would get a lot messier than with a pair of scissors, even if not full-size.
Antonio

Offline Quartz

Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 10:45:07 PM
Hmmm.... I must me moving up in the world if someone references a thread I started. Lemme take care of that before it gets out of hand by saying something unpopular :)

I'll reference what Taxi Dad said. I think the blade>scissors thing is largely a form of misplaced manliness and/or bragging. I've bumped into a lot of macho guys who will whip out a big honking blade to saw away at a loose thread on their shirt or whatever. I think it's one of those blade size == dick size things or something. Anyone who opts for scissors instead is labeled either a wimp, incompetent at tools, or it starts a stupid argument about how "people in this country are getting soft and scared and think everything is a weapon".

Of course, in reality people who act like that just look like an uncultured musclehead to everyone else. You can get away with it to some extent if you work out in the field or other rough-and-tumble type jobs, but try flashing a knife in a sales meeting full of suits and you're going to be losing a lot of business, especially if it's a situation where a full blade is overkill for the task. Overkill isn't something you can ignore from a practical standpoint either. The bigger something is in relation to its job, the more awkward it is to use. Sure, a knife *can* be used to cut a quarter inch off the end of a string, but scissors are just so much easier and cleaner.

Multitools are all about compromise and having a couple 'jack of all trades but master at none' implements instead of a whole kit. For some people they just don't do enough small cutting jobs to justify separate scissors, and that's fine, but for those who do it's indispensable. For me personally scissors are a hard requirement in a multitool, anything without them gets left in a drawer. I rarely use a knife blade, and most of those tasks could be handled by spread scissors, so I'm basically in the opposite camp.

And yes I'm a little bitter about this particular argument, can you tell? :) I can write another several paragraphs about full size folding pliers vs SAK pliers too if you want.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #43 on: September 18, 2014, 02:46:04 AM
I can write another several paragraphs about full size folding pliers vs SAK pliers too if you want.

I would love to read that - I enjoy these types of topics ;)
K-Tibbs

nz Offline RimfireNZ

Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 03:03:39 AM
I don't find that I use them on my large MTs very often. Cutting paracord and heat shrink are about it. Still, I'd rather have them than not.

My little mini-champs scissors though are invaluable to me. They get used all the time. Mostly for personal grooming/fingernails etc though.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #45 on: September 18, 2014, 03:10:03 AM
For me, scissors are the single most used item. This is coming from previous IT and office work. Nothing on an MT will cut a zip tie around a bundle of network cables like the scissors on the Crosscut/Micra/Style CS.

There is very little, practically, that a knife can do that scissors can't do, and there's a great deal of fine tasks that scissors do with vastly higher precision and safety.

As a side note, unrelated to the thread. Everyone stay calm. I'm fine, just been busy with other nerdy pursuits. I haven't abandoned my beloved MTO. :D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #46 on: September 18, 2014, 03:49:34 AM
Hey Lynn, glad to see you back around :D 
K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: September 18, 2014, 10:12:12 AM
For me, scissors are the single most used item. This is coming from previous IT and office work. Nothing on an MT will cut a zip tie around a bundle of network cables like the scissors on the Crosscut/Micra/Style CS.

There is very little, practically, that a knife can do that scissors can't do, and there's a great deal of fine tasks that scissors do with vastly higher precision and safety.

As a side note, unrelated to the thread. Everyone stay calm. I'm fine, just been busy with other nerdy pursuits. I haven't abandoned my beloved MTO. :D

It is nice to have you back. I do however have to ring the BS bell, there is plenty a knife can do that scissors can't.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #48 on: September 18, 2014, 10:31:07 AM

It is nice to have you back. I do however have to ring the BS bell, there is plenty a knife can do that scissors can't.

I'll second that

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #49 on: September 18, 2014, 10:55:40 AM
The most used tool on my MTs is the serrated blade - no chance any scissor could replace it.  :D

And i like that as big and sturdy as possible in a MT, the plain edged blade has not to be that big and can be more decent.

But i have a SOG Crosscut in my personal first aid kit (in our cars faks a full size scissor is mandatory) - there it´s scissors are much more usefull than a blade.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #50 on: September 18, 2014, 11:29:20 AM

I'll second that
Agreed.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

za Offline mrmustard

Reply #51 on: September 18, 2014, 01:47:54 PM

A always called any of these SAK and MT scissors completely useless, and never used them cause to tiny. But the scissors on the Surge are a size where they start to be usefull.

I just sold my Surge and ST300 yesterday and now this thread has just given me withdrawal symptoms :facepalm:. Damn, I loved those scissors!! :cry:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #52 on: September 18, 2014, 02:11:31 PM

I just sold my Surge and ST300 yesterday and now this thread has just given me withdrawal symptoms :facepalm:. Damn, I loved those scissors!! :cry:
NNNOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!! Not the Surge!!!

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: September 18, 2014, 02:19:15 PM

NNNOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!! Not the Surge!!!

Nate

:rofl:

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #54 on: September 18, 2014, 02:47:50 PM

I have no words :-/

za Offline mrmustard

Reply #55 on: September 18, 2014, 03:51:03 PM

It was for a good cause, I think :think:!! I really had to in order for me to afford a whole clearance package of SAK's and knives. I will post later in the 'What did you just get thread?' as soon as I receive the package.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: September 18, 2014, 04:06:59 PM

It was for a good cause, I think :think:!! I really had to in order for me to afford a whole clearance package of SAK's and knives. I will post later in the 'What did you just get thread?' as soon as I receive the package.

Post now in the what do we have on the way thread.  :pok:

Sent from the land of the long white cloud.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #57 on: September 18, 2014, 06:27:42 PM
Knife blade & Scissors
I have both in my EDC loadout, but if I could only have one not both, I pick the blade.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #58 on: September 18, 2014, 06:55:29 PM
Knife blade & Scissors
I have both in my EDC loadout, but if I could only have one not both, I pick the blade.

Knife blade & Scissors
I have both in my EDC loadout, but if I could only have one not both, I'd slap the person making me choose  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #59 on: September 18, 2014, 06:56:54 PM
Knife blade & Scissors

Knife blade & Scissors
I have both in my EDC loadout, but if I could only have one not both, I'd slap the person making me choose  :D

:rofl:  That's more like it :tu:
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69