Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Scissors on MT, what for?

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Scissors on MT, what for?
Reply #60 on: September 18, 2014, 06:57:36 PM
... try flashing a knife in a sales meeting full of suits and you're going to be losing a lot of business, especially if it's a situation where a full blade is overkill for the task. ...

This has nothing to do with blade or Scissors, but involve people in suits. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,51718.msg950811.html#msg950811
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

za Offline mrmustard

Reply #61 on: September 18, 2014, 07:18:33 PM

Tried the Surge scissors?

A always called any of these SAK and MT scissors completely useless, and never used them cause to tiny. But the scissors on the Surge are a size where they start to be usefull.

I just sold my Surge and ST300 yesterday and now this thread has just given me withdrawal symptoms :facepalm:. Damn, I loved those scissors!! :cry:

I have no words :-/

It was for a good cause, I think :think:!! I really had to in order for me to afford a whole clearance package of SAK's and knives. I will post later in the 'What did you just get thread?' as soon as I receive the package.

Post now in the what do we have on the way thread.  :pok:

Sent from the land of the long white cloud.

I really want to but just in case there is something that is not right or delay in delivery. I don't want to jinx or count my chickens before they hatch.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #62 on: September 18, 2014, 08:08:28 PM
Knife blade & Scissors
I have both in my EDC loadout, but if I could only have one not both, I pick the blade.

Knife blade & Scissors
I have both in my EDC loadout, but if I could only have one not both, I'd slap the person making me choose  :D

:rofl:  That's more like it :tu:

I like the way you think. >:D

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #63 on: September 18, 2014, 08:38:31 PM
Knife blade & Scissors
I have both in my EDC loadout, but if I could only have one not both, I pick the blade.

Knife blade & Scissors
I have both in my EDC loadout, but if I could only have one not both, I'd slap the person making me choose  :D

http://nation.foxnews.com/woman-slap-tsa-agents/2012/12/27/woman-slaps-tsa-agents-security-checkpoint

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #64 on: September 19, 2014, 03:55:40 AM

For me, scissors are the single most used item. This is coming from previous IT and office work. Nothing on an MT will cut a zip tie around a bundle of network cables like the scissors on the Crosscut/Micra/Style CS.

There is very little, practically, that a knife can do that scissors can't do, and there's a great deal of fine tasks that scissors do with vastly higher precision and safety.

As a side note, unrelated to the thread. Everyone stay calm. I'm fine, just been busy with other nerdy pursuits. I haven't abandoned my beloved MTO. :D

It is nice to have you back. I do however have to ring the BS bell, there is plenty a knife can do that scissors can't.

I'll second that
Agreed.

Nate

I don't think you guys are getting what I'm saying. I know there are things blades do better than scissors, and a few scissors flat out can't do. They're just not things >I< do on a daily basis.

I have gone months without needing a blade, when I have scissors. I can sometimes go a week without scissors if I have a blade. It all really depends on what you tend to DO with your tools on a day to day basis.

But, FOR ME, on a day to day basis get a LOT more mileage out of scissors.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: September 19, 2014, 04:02:00 AM

For me, scissors are the single most used item. This is coming from previous IT and office work. Nothing on an MT will cut a zip tie around a bundle of network cables like the scissors on the Crosscut/Micra/Style CS.

There is very little, practically, that a knife can do that scissors can't do, and there's a great deal of fine tasks that scissors do with vastly higher precision and safety.

As a side note, unrelated to the thread. Everyone stay calm. I'm fine, just been busy with other nerdy pursuits. I haven't abandoned my beloved MTO. :D

It is nice to have you back. I do however have to ring the BS bell, there is plenty a knife can do that scissors can't.

I'll second that
Agreed.

Nate

I don't think you guys are getting what I'm saying. I know there are things blades do better than scissors, and a few scissors flat out can't do. They're just not things >I< do on a daily basis.

I have gone months without needing a blade, when I have scissors. I can sometimes go a week without scissors if I have a blade. It all really depends on what you tend to DO with your tools on a day to day basis.

Catching flak on the first day back! Good to see you back :cheers:
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 04:16:30 AM
Catching flak on the first day back! Good to see you back :cheers:

Par for the course, and I wouldn't expect anything else.

Just because I say a lot doesn't mean i know what I'm talking about. :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: September 19, 2014, 06:01:23 PM

I'll second that
Agreed.

Nate

Sorry, my bad.  :oops:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #68 on: September 23, 2014, 07:51:52 AM
I learned many new ways to use my Scissors, thanks everyone.

us Offline mrog

Reply #69 on: October 28, 2014, 05:54:39 PM
Both knife and scissors basically do the same thing, separate solid matter. Scissors are kinda just 2 knives that cut towards each other when you pinch them together.

I look at it like a ven diagram with two circles that overlap pretty far.

-60% of the tasks BOTH knife and scissors work. (Of course one will be better varying task to task)

-20% of the tasks ONLY scissors will work (trimming a nose hair, cutting out a circle, accurately snipping, cutting in mid air with no support, holding something with one hand and scissors in the other, cutting in a small area that has things you can't touch/poke/cut against/cut past surrounding it like small wires or a expensive item in a package.)

-20% of the tasks ONLY knife will work (cutting an apple, shaving a stick, slicing bread, stabbing something, cutting thick material like rubber, cutting thick rope)

-I think scissors are generally better for precision, control, safety, small, snippy cuts.

-Knives are generally better for slicing, separating, stabbing, forceful, strong, pushing, pulling, peeling, shaving cuts.

OP you said wire cutters can do a lot of your previous scissor tasks, thats sweet that they can do a lot of tasks for you, but they cant completely replace scissors or they would've already. Out of the 20% scissors only tasks, you're probably covering 5-10%.

That's why I EDC BOTH! If you don't have both, you cant do 100/100 random cutting tasks, period.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 06:24:13 PM by mrog »
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #70 on: October 28, 2014, 06:00:01 PM
Both knife and scissors basically do the same thing, seperate solid matter. Scissors are kinda just 2 knives that cut towards each other when you pinch them together.

I look at it like a ven diagram with two circles that over lap pretty far.

60% of the tasks BOTH knife and scissors work. (Of course one will be better varying task to task)

20% of the tasks ONLY scissors will work (trimming a nose hair, cutting out a circle, accurately snipping, cutting in mid air with no support, holding something with one hand and scissors in the other, cutting in a small area that has things you can't touch/poke/cut against/cut past surrounding it like small wires or a expensive item in a package.)

20% of the tasks ONLY knife will work (cutting an apple, shaving a stick, slicing bread, stabbing something, cutting thick material like rubber, cutting thick rope)

I think scissors are generally better for precision, control, safety, small, snippy cuts.

Knives are generally better for slicing, separating, stabbing, forceful, strong, pulling, peeling, shaving cuts.

That's why I EDC BOTH! If you don't have both, you cant do 100/100 random cutting tasks, period.
:tu: Perfectly put!
Antonio

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #71 on: October 28, 2014, 06:03:28 PM
Well said mrog :tu:
K-Tibbs

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #72 on: October 28, 2014, 06:05:02 PM
I use scissors more often than knives. Since I would accept nothing less than Victorinox 91mm scissors I choose my Spirit scissorless and never open the Charge's scissors, but I find the Squirt S4 and Surge scissors adequate for anything else than nail cutting.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #73 on: October 28, 2014, 06:43:54 PM

OP you said wire cutters can do a lot of your previous scissor tasks, thats sweet that they can do a lot of tasks for you, but they cant completely replace scissors or they would've already. Out of the 20% scissors only tasks, you're probably covering 5-10%.

You are correct.  :tu:

za Offline mrmustard

Reply #74 on: October 28, 2014, 06:48:38 PM
+1 mrog. :tu:

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #75 on: October 28, 2014, 06:51:36 PM

The best of all worlds - edc a Surge.

Blades good enough to stop carrying another knife/folder. And scissors that earn the name "scissors".

Additional all tools to make a badass package.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #76 on: October 28, 2014, 06:53:39 PM
I started EDC a Mirca after this discussion, it is nice to have when wife needs to cut something, instead of hand over a knife to her, she can use the Scissors on Micra. Funny she can handle an AK47 pretty well but when comes to knives, I amn't too sure.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #77 on: October 28, 2014, 09:05:59 PM
Kids can handle an AK47, and saddly there are lots of kids that do.

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #78 on: October 28, 2014, 10:00:37 PM
Scissors cut stuff, and they're safer then knives, and stuff, and yeah. That's all I got.
Leatherman

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: October 28, 2014, 10:17:39 PM
I think another aspect needs to be addressed:

MT size, the larger the MT the harder it is to use the scissors, especially if you want to make precise cuts.

MT size to scissor size. Honestly the tiny scissors on a Charge I find hilarious. They are not particularly good, they are tiny and attached to a rather large tool.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #80 on: October 28, 2014, 10:21:28 PM
Not sure about that one. My Surge does just as good as my Cybertools. That one may very per person.
You are right about the Charge. They work ok, but are not the greatest. For me anyways.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #81 on: October 28, 2014, 10:48:59 PM
Scissors are a must for me. Paracord needs precise cuts for neat work so scissors are a much needed tool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #82 on: October 29, 2014, 08:31:37 AM
This thread is worthless without a Venn Diagram.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: October 30, 2014, 10:39:31 AM
The Surge scissors are like a pair of shears, very capable of cutting leather. I even cut the belt loop off my "premium leather" sheath after it broke  :facepalm:
I still use the sheath, used some black cord to make a belt loop.

The scissors are also more precise to use than the Gerber Dime, due to actually being ground in the first place, and not square. Not as precise as a SAK or LM Juice, but extremely capable for a diverse range of tasks.

58mm Vic scissors get used a lot for fingernails, cutting tags from clothing, loose threads, opening food packages, list goes on. Love the Victorinox scissors the best of all.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #84 on: November 01, 2014, 08:49:33 AM
Halloween night I have to use scissors to touch up my boys costume the last minute, (Mini-Surge) wingman's scissors left so much to be desire, at the end I have go out to the car get a Victorinox Craftsman to finish what Mini-Surge started.
 :(

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #85 on: November 01, 2014, 08:54:24 PM
Halloween night I have to use scissors to touch up my boys costume the last minute, (Mini-Surge) wingman's scissors left so much to be desire, at the end I have go out to the car get a Victorinox Craftsman to finish what Mini-Surge started.

Time to put some Vic scissors into the MiniSurge then?  :pok:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: November 02, 2014, 12:20:32 PM
If the Gerber Dime had 58mm Vic scissors and a decent file, it would be worth carrying :pok: For me anyway.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #87 on: November 02, 2014, 07:55:20 PM

Time to put some Vic scissors into the MiniSurge then?  :pok:
Thinking about it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68