Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Myth Archery Tool.

Chako · 12 · 4096

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Gerber Myth Archery Tool.
on: September 18, 2014, 03:50:43 AM
Gerber produces a series of hunting gear that looks similar from each other, and that line is called the Myth series. I previously purchased the Myth Shotgun multi-tool, and for some unknown reason, I couldn't find the archery tool for love or money. Local stores sold a good selection of Myth series hunting knives, etc...but not the archery tool. I finally scored one off of eBay.

I have mixed feelings about the Myth Archery multi-tool. I think my main issue stems from the fact that there is no nock set pliers. Instead, you get an adjustable wrench with non-textured jaws. I am uncertain how useful this would prove to an archer in the field. I know from experience that being able to add and remove nocks is a big plus. Furthermore, the jaws are not designed to remove field points and broad heads from logs and other natural items that may suddenly jump in-front of your arrows whilst hunting, or target practicing.

The Myth Archery Tool contains the following functions:
- 0-3/4" adjustable wrench
- 3/16 hex available when wrench is opened
- broadhead wrench
- bottle opener
- Phillips driver
- flat head driver
- 7/64 hex, 3/32 hex, 5/64 hex, 1/16 hex, 1/8 hex, 9/64 hex, 5/32 hex.
- lanyard option

Here is a closer look at the broadhead wrench.

Access to the hex keys was well thought out, and it works well. Press these two metal levers which will prop up the 4 top hex keys enough to enable easy opening. This also allows you access to the 3 larger hex keys underneath.

So overall, this one has me scratching my head a little. It wouldn't be my first choice to accompany me in my archery endeavors. Happy to add it to my collection however...but man, I feel like they could have given the archer a little more utility and functionality with this tool.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Gerber Myth Archery Tool.
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:49:18 PM
That's a neat looking tool. Thanks for sharing.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 05:00:19 PM
I looked at the pictures first and thought of why they wouldn't include the customary bottle opener, but it's apparently hidden in the first splayed shot.  It's definitely a bulky tool, from the looks of things.  I'm somewhat surprised they didn't look at an updated version of the Cool Tool for their archery model; it wouldn't have taken too much retooling:  adding a hex key system around the pre-existing adjustable head, no?

I do like your review on it, Dan, as always.  Always groovy pictures to drool over. :drool:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:35:51 PM
Interesting tool  :cheers:

I do tend to consider Allen keys as "semi-disposable" items, as they will invariably get rounded off fairly quickly, so I'm not a huge fan of having them integral in anything other than a cheap key set. Seems a waste to render a full multitool uncarryable because of a few rounded Allen keys  :-\  That said, I quite like the overall look, and it's nice to see an incorporated adjustable wrench of usable size (19mm) rather than just a 10 or 12mm as has cropped up occasionally.

How's the handle ergos as a wrench Dan?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 05:52:19 PM
Interesting tool  :cheers:

M so I'm not a huge fan of having them integral in anything other than a cheap key set. Seems a waste to render a full multitool uncarryable because of a few rounded Allen keys  :-\  That said, I quite like the overall look, and it's nice to see an incorporated adjustable wrench of usable size (19mm) rather than just a 10 or 12mm as has cropped up occasionally.

How's the handle ergos as a wrench Dan?

I know where you're coming from with that argument Al,  so now I simply cut them back 3mm when they begin to slip. My bike tool  seems to be lasting forever now!! :D
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 05:58:57 PM
Thank you so much for posting this.
I've been debating on this tool for a bit.

It's a good looking tool.

I wish it could remove field tips from wood. They're a bugger to get out of the edge of targets when I am sighting in my bow. It would have been a help.

(Or, I could just get better)  :D
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 06:39:06 PM

I wish it could remove field tips from wood. They're a bugger to get out of the edge of targets when I am sighting in my bow. It would have been a help.

The good thing about this tool, is that other than a couple of drivers (and the obligatory bottle opener  :P) it has all the tools that other multi's don't - which means it would pair up with a pliers based tool quite nicely without too much duplication  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 12:26:19 AM
The ergos for the wrench are very good. Very comfortable. However, I must say, the Wrench has no teeth...which limits their usefulness in my eyes.

Megan, may I suggest the Bowsmith from Apple Archery. I think you may find it a better archery tool all around to the Gerber Myth Archery tool.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,28672.msg496250.html#msg496250
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:31:54 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 12:41:39 AM
I may look into that for biking as a companion to whichever multi I have that day. I was always wishing for a MT that had Allens as that is pretty much all bikes use. I know there are bike specific tools, but I don't know something makes me want to stick to the real multi brands.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 02:00:47 PM

The good thing about this tool, is that other than a couple of drivers (and the obligatory bottle opener  :P) it has all the tools that other multi's don't - which means it would pair up with a pliers based tool quite nicely without too much duplication  :)

Great thanks. I've been debating on this one for a while. I think I'll pull the trigger.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 10:46:00 AM
Nice round-up Dan, as always. :tu:

Smooth jaws on the shifter (adjustable wrench) aren't a problem for me, but the fact all the hex keys are in Imperial sizes rather than metric would really limit just how much use I could put this too. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

dk Offline Donpipi

Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 06:15:20 PM
Fantastic looking tool, instant love  :woohoo:
I'ts nice to have... And no I dont have to much junk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99